Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Talesworth Adventure (Episode 1)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
IP: Logged
icon Talesworth Adventure (Episode 1) (+3)  
Talesworth Adventure is one of the more interesting games I have seen lately. It is a puzzle game, where you have to guide a character named Questy through a dungeon, while collecting various treasure items.

Just like in DROD, game mechanics are simple and entirely deterministic with rooms built around them. At the beginning of each puzzle you have to place a limited amount of one way gates (after something passes through them they essentially become walls) and loot bags (they distract Questy and make him move in a particular direction). After that, you hit "Go" button, which makes Questy continuously move forward according to some simple rules: turn when approaching a corner, follow an arrow in a T intersection, move towards the closest loot bag if one is in sight. In every room you have guide Questy to a key and then the exit, while at the same time avoiding arrow traps, monsters and boulders.

This game has a lot of potential and I think that you guys should enjoy it.

Newgrounds link
Kongregate link

[Last edited by eb0ny at 05-04-2010 07:23 PM : Typo.]
05-04-2010 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 628
icon Re: Talesworth Adventure (Episode 1) (+2)  
I've gotten to the red levels, and I did both bonus maps so far, too. I'm enjoying it.

Games where you don't directly control a character usually set me on edge. That's especially true in games like this one or The Incredible Machine, in both of which you are called upon to place stuff and have no control of any kind beyond that. The stuff could go anywhere, so there are many possibilities, yet your control over what happens is still rather limited. Balance those two factors well, and you get good puzzles.

When the title screen first came up, my instinct was to click the 'Tutorial' button. There was none. I had to settle for 'New Game' instead. It turned out this game does a remarkable job of explaining itself in the first few maps. I wondered briefly how fast arrows fly and how boulders move, but these and other game element interactions proved to be self-explanatory with minimal trial and error. (To save you some trouble: Boulders move like Questy does, and arrows are not instantaneous--you often have time to duck around a corner after triggering one. Other interactions are more fun to see on your own.)

The puzzles were designed well. The harder ones have some carefully placed distractions. The concepts shown are interesting to me, especially as you get into the purple section. It seems to have been tested for alternative solutions quite well, too. I've only found one thing that might have been unintended, but it used a factor which had not been introduced yet.

The name of the game also implies that there will be more in the future. I hope the author is careful to maintain this level of quality.

EDIT: Finished, with all bonus maps and gems. 'Who Does the Dirty Work?' and the very last room were the two that gave me the most trouble. I liked the twenty-fourth gem, too. The unintended solution I thought I found turned out to be part a gem, too.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 05-10-2010 12:21 AM]
05-09-2010 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 522
icon Talesworth Adventure (Episode 2) (+2)  

Episode 2 has been released.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/MrJinx/talesworth-adventure-the-lost-artifacts

I haven't played it much but it is (at least at the beginning) very similar to the first one. I guess new monsters/things will appear later on.

Free to play on Kongregate (link above) or 2$ for the iPad:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/talesworth-adventure-ep.-2/id485003184

Check it out, it's fun.
04-20-2012 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1236
icon Re: Talesworth Adventure (Episode 1) (0)  
The second game is very cool! I haven't finished yet, but it's a load of fun. I like how the game offers extra challenges for those who like them.

And it seems I have actually completed the first game back in 2010, time certainly flies! :)
04-20-2012 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
sokoban
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Talesworth Adventure (Episode 1) (0)  
I have been waiting for Episode 2 for a long time. Glad to know it is released.

05-25-2012 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Talesworth Adventure (Episode 1)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com