Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : The Leylines Wiki
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Danjen02
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Leylines Wiki (0)  
Radiant, do you have a list of random effects? I never play with them enabled, but I imagine there must be quite a few.

10-18-2009 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Danjen02 wrote:
Radiant, do you have a list of random effects? I never play with them enabled, but I imagine there must be quite a few.

Yes, as follows:
(city) population boom, epidemic, flash fire, skilled architect, natural talent, family feuds, auspicuous omens
(global) donation, theft from treasury, favorable constellation, stupid apprentice, scroll of lore, experiment backfires, high blessing, virulent plague, spoiled food, ancient curse, crystal ball, aether storm
(unit) talented

10-18-2009 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18

File: Leylines crashes.zip (184.2 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
Radiant wrote:
The units do actually move with the iceberg.
Cool. I'll have to remember that next time I have units with Teleport.

The Adventurer near the bottom right corner of the screenshot had been slated to found that city, but the game crashed (and kept on crashing) about four turns later. Had the game not crashed, I would've posted another screenshot showing the city in the middle of the ocean.
Do you still have a saved game of that?

The city-in-the-ocean is not an issue as I'll disable SR'ing icebergs; the crash, however, is something I should look into.
I just checked, and I do. Here it is, zipped; it's in the folder named Elves; I'm also sending the autosaves, which may be handy. As I said earlier, it's from the beta, more specifically, the one dated November 30, 2007.

In addition, I decided to send you another game that keeps crashing; this one and its accompanying autosaves are in the folder named Theria, and is from the most recent version. I'm fairly well established in my corner of the map (although raiders keep taking my one city, but that's manageable), and the game keeps crashing for no apparent reason. Also in this game, sometimes one or two of my units will move on their own, even though I never use the multi-turn movement feature.

EDIT - forgot to mention: I'm using Windows XP service pack 3, emulated in VirtualBox. Up until the game from the beta mentioned above, I've had absolutely no problems.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by The Mystic at 10-19-2009 04:34 AM]
10-19-2009 at 04:30 AM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
A wiki for Leylines? Good idea, since I've sometimes had (previously) unanswerable questions about the game.
I may proofread the wiki, having glanced at a page and seen a couple of minor typos on it. Is that okay? :smile

Edit: I added a little bit to the Faith page, mentioning Stage Magician briefly. How does the Stage Magician difficulty work in relation to faiths? I know you can't pick a faith - is one automatically picked for you, or are you given (independent)?

[Last edited by Neathro at 11-17-2009 06:55 PM]
11-17-2009 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
You're forced into independent.

11-17-2009 at 07:55 PM
Radiant
Neathro wrote:
I may proofread the wiki, having glanced at a page and seen a couple of minor typos on it. Is that okay? :smile
Certainly. That's what wikis are for!

11-18-2009 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Neathro wrote:
Go for it! I've done that a few times too.

11-18-2009 at 02:39 PM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
I've noticed something. We don't have a section under terrain for the improvements like Leylines and Arenas, do we? Edit: Oh, we do. Silly me.

[Last edited by Neathro at 12-17-2009 03:52 PM]
12-17-2009 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Even then, it's a wiki, so you're encouraged to add anything you can. ;)

12-17-2009 at 06:17 PM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
I just checked, and I do. Here it is, zipped; it's in the folder named Elves; I'm also sending the autosaves, which may be handy. As I said earlier, it's from the beta, more specifically, the one dated November 30, 2007.
Unless this reproduces in a 2009 or 2010 version, I'm going to assume it's fixed.

In addition, I decided to send you another game that keeps crashing; this one and its accompanying autosaves are in the folder named Theria,
I found a combat hang in that game (not a crash) that I fixed. I'm unable to reproduce the "units moving on their own", but note that this might be the result of the AI using Discordance, Siren's Song, or Infiltrators on you. If that's not the case, please send me a save if it reproduces.

01-08-2010 at 05:19 PM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
In addition, I decided to send you another game that keeps crashing; this one and its accompanying autosaves are in the folder named Theria,
I found a combat hang in that game (not a crash) that I fixed.
Hopefully that's what the crash was, since the game would hang in between turns.
I'm unable to reproduce the "units moving on their own", but note that this might be the result of the AI using Discordance, Siren's Song, or Infiltrators on you. If that's not the case, please send me a save if it reproduces.
No, my units actually seem to move on their own towards whatever destination I clicked on the previous turn, despite the fact that I don't use multi-turn movement. It's a very rare bug (I saw it only about two or three times), but it does happen. If I catch it again, I'll post it.

By the way, what's the latest version? The one I have is dated October 5, 2009.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 01-10-2010 12:31 AM]
01-10-2010 at 12:30 AM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
January 10, 2010 :D

01-10-2010 at 04:02 PM
The Mystic
Oh goody! :thumbsup

Downloading now...

01-11-2010 at 03:30 AM
Danjen02
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
January 10, 2010 :D
I see what you did there. ;)

01-11-2010 at 03:35 AM
The Mystic
(EDIT: Never mind.)

[Last edited by The Mystic at 01-12-2010 12:07 AM]
01-12-2010 at 12:05 AM
grobblewobble
Hi. I've added some strengths and weaknesses to the description of 5 out of the 8 races. This is based on my personal experience and I wouldvery much like to receive feedback or hear other opinions. This is what I wrote:

Humans:

Strengths:
Humans specialize in chivalry and overland abilities. Units with the cavalry ability can cross the map extremely fast,
especially maps with a lot of flat terrain.
Overland attacks require special care to utilize, but can be devastating when applied to large enemy armies
or well-defended cities. Note that while ballistae are cumbersome to move around, taking them aboard ships
is a potent strategy on island maps.
Humans are also excellent researchers and agriculture is one of the best ways to boost city growth. They
have a good magesight unit in their ranks and one of the fastest (and therefore most effective) units for detection of
hidden enemies. The mounted scout and ordinary scout provide an excellent combination to quickly scout the
map and grab resources.
Humans have two units available to bless their armies. It is recommended to add a priest or paladin to any offensive
army, especially in the mid to late game. Priests are probably the most effective weapon against undead in the game.

Weaknesses:
Most races have units with very effective anti-cavalry abilities, such as Break Charge. This is probably the main weakness of
the Humans. Accordingly, when playing against them it is usually a good idea to start producing anti-cavalry.
Humans have only one unit with a strong magical attack (the very expensive warlock), which makes them somewhat less
versatile than most other races.
Human cities tend to be low on mana production, even though agriculture can in theory be used to create very impressive
mana-producing cities.

Elves:

Strengths:
Elves have an interesting array of offensive units. Marksmen are one of the best shooters in the game and
become especially deadly when boosted with Might of Giants. Bladesingers are a great melee unit and very fast, especially
in forests. The Enchantress and the Phantom add strong magical attacks.
Envoys grant elves the option to bribe enemy units, which can be a nasty surprise. When the player has chosen to worship
Sartho, envoys can even be the main attack force. When the opponent is leaving some of his cities weakly defended,
Astral Rangers can launch a surprise attack. Last but not least, elves have access to the only unit in the game with built-in
invisibility and can even turn an entire city invisible. Invisibility is generally more rare than hiding and harder to detect.
All in all, the elves have lots of different strategic options available, which is their main strength.
Elves also excell at producing mana. An elven city can get a bonus of up to +4 to mana, with the first +2 being very easy to
get.
One building deserving special attention is the planar gate. On large maps, transportation of troops to the frontlines is a key
factor. The planar gate is one of the most potent ways to deal with this problem.

Weaknesses:
The elves buildings are quite costly in terms of work. Add that elves have only one building granting a +1 bonus to work which
is quite expensive itself and the problem becomes clear. Building an elven empire takes time, making them vulnerable to
rush attacks, even in de mid game.
Elves are ok, but not great at scouting the map or early resource grabbing. The dedicated scouting unit, the raven,
can't be built from the start, is too fragile to cross deserts and will lose practically any battle. Early in the game, an elven leader
may prefer to scout with vigilants instead. Later on, stargazers can help in this area. Their ability to detect hidden enemy scouts
is quite useful.
Elves can only improve terrain by planting forests, which is often not very practical since it doesn't boost growth. However, it can
still be worth considering as it can boost work.
When playing against elves, magesight is very handy to have, since the elves can build invisible roads, units and even cities.

Theria:

Strengths:
The Theria are very much focused on the long game, perhaps more so than any other race. One of their main strengths is city
growth. They have several buildings granting a bonus to growth and their settler unit, the Rootless One, can increase the
population of an existing city, which is a unique and very interesting ability. The Floral Clock can improve the long-term
potential of their cities even further, by slowly improving terrain.
Their units are also strongly focused on a long-term strategy. The Theria have some of the most impressive high-level troops out
of all races, even though these are accordingly expensive.
The theria have access to several unique options. They can build shapeshifters, which can be used to copy enemy units. This
could potentially allow them access to strategies and options they normally wouldn't have. Once a single unit has been copied,
that copy can in turn be copied, which could potentially be used to start producing top of the line foreign units, e.g. paladins.
Other nice options include a flying ship for quick transport and even a unit capable of stealing the enemy map.

Weaknesses:
The foremost weakness of the theria lies in the early game. The Theria lack cheap scouts, have few options for early defense
and practically no early offense. Other than that, they have trouble detecting hidden units (or cities). The most practical way
for the Theria to gain detection is to hire a hero.
Finally, the Theria are not particularly good at spell research.

S'Sirthe:

Strengths:
The S'Sirthe are one of the most potent races when it comes to setting up a rush attack. With their braves and trailblazers they
have an easy time scouting the map and grabbing lots of resources. Next, they can quickly overrun the enemy with Javelineers
and Locust Swarms. But they also have some nifty tricks up their sleeve for the mid to late game. For example, they have
the unique ability of hiding their entire cities.
The S'Sirthe also have a nice selection of utility units. The Zaratan is an amphibious ship, capable of moving over both water and
flat land (but not through woods or hills). This is interesting in combination with the Shambling Mound, which is very strong but
nearly immobile. S'Sirthe can also bless their units and hide them in forests, while they also have some nice weapons against
undead available. They can turn terrain into swamp as well, which is usually not the most practical way of improving terrain
but can sometimes be useful to boost mana production.

Weaknesses:
If the S'Sirthe can be stopped in the early game, they might run out of steam. Their major weakness in the mid to late game is
in magical attacks. None of their units has a great resistance, making them vulnerable. This is especially dangerous when the
enemy has the Jinx spell. Another factor that hurts them in the long run is that they can't do much to boost city growth.
The S'Sirthe may at first sight look like they are especially good on island maps with lots of water, but actually this is where
they are weakest, since they can't rush the enemy when they are isolated on an island.

Dwarves:

Strengths:
The dwarves are mighty and tough. Their high-level units are practically unmatched in raw power. The Slayer, for example, is
one of the best all-round melee units and has exorcism to enhance his might even further. The War Machine, while expensive,
is even mightier in raw melee power, though it lacks resistance. The Firewalker has absolutely unmatched resistance and is the
nightmare of anyone relying on magical attacks.
The dwarves also excel at detecting units that are hidden or invisible, since the Slayer comes with built-in magesight.
Regarding cities, the dwarves are great workers, with lots of boni to work and caravans, allowing cities to add production to
other cities. This is especially potent in combination with miner units, which can greatly enhance gold production. A handy
trick with miners is to camp them in a fortress on a river.
Another strength of the dwarves is in enhancing city defense. A fully fortified dwarf town is notoriously hard to capture, at least
without siegecraft. This is especially true when worshipping Altharn.
One strategy which can pay when playing dwarf, more than with any other race, is to build roads and cities into the direction of the
enemy (see weaknesses). The dwarves also benefit greatly from ethereal roads.
The dwarves are the best choice to attempt a monolith victory.

Weaknesses:
The main and obvious weakness is that most of their units are dependent, which means they need support units to even survive
when travelling. If the enemy manages to kill the support units, the rest of the army dies from starvation. This makes them one
of the weakest races when it comes to offense, even though they have the strongest defense.
One special pitfall to be aware of is that enemy cities that have just been captured and are still in disorder do not supply your
units!
Common sense does help: dwarves should travel in large groups to protect the caravans and take along more than one caravan.
When that doesn't help, dwarf players could consider building roads (or even cities) into the direction of the enemy.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that dwarves are the worst out of all races at producing mana, too.

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 03-08-2010 07:21 PM]
03-08-2010 at 07:08 PM
Danjen02
Looks great! This is the kind of stuff I had in mind when I made the wiki (which I barely even touch >.>)

03-09-2010 at 02:20 PM
grobblewobble
Thank you, Danjen! I think the layout of the races page could still be improved, though - I'm not very good at wiki layout (Nudibranch is a genius when it comes to that, maybe we should bring Leylines to his attention ;) )

On to the other races. I have written my opinion on Regency. The Goblins and the Alliance will have to wait, since I still can't really make up my mind about them. They play very different from other races and may still need to be tweaked in order to be properly balanced. In any case, I haven't playtested them enough yet to form an opinion.

Regency:

Strengths:

Regency is a race themed about being evil (and lazy). They can convert enemy cities into slaves, which is great in cases where you wanted to destroy the city anyway. For combat they rely heavily on undead units. Their top-end units, the daemon and the liche, are impressive monsters (with a monstrous upkeep, too). The regency possess unique abilities that enhance the abilities of undead further. Necromancers are able to heal undead and spectres provide the undead equivalent of a blessing. Keep in mind that this also works on summoned undead, such as golems, nightmares and archons.
If this is not evil enough for you, have a look at the assassin, capable of killing mighty foes as an overland ability. This works especially great against heroes. Keep in mind, however, that it doesn't work on bulky units (such as dragons).
A very sneaky option is to sabotage enemy cities. This will disrupt the production of the city for one turn. When used simultaneously on the most important enemy gold and mana producing cities, it could have severe consequences, such as negative mana feedback and buildings collapsing for lack of maintainance.
Another key strategic unit is the acolyte, which can sacrifice
living units for instant mana. The most logical sacrifice is the
phalanx, since the amount of mana gained is proportional to production cost. The ability to quickcast negative spells on enemy units can be a great help.
The catapult adds the possibility of dealing overland damage. Even though the saboteur grants access to siegecraft, taking along a catapult is arguably even better, since it forces the enemy to leave their city and attack you.
One spell that deserves special mention for the Regency is Jinx. Many Regency units have magical attacks. These are greatly enhanced after reducing resistance by three points.

Weaknesses:

Relying on undead troops has its drawbacks. First of all, travelling the map becomes harder since they can't cross rivers, except by building a bridge (road). Worse yet, most races have special anti-undead units, often highly effective. And what makes the Regency even less flexible, is that almost all of their main combat units (daemon, wraith and liche) rely on non-physical attacks. This makes units with high resistance (Firewalkers!) hard to deal with. If the enemy starts building an army of say, priests, I would honestly be at a loss what to do. Assassinating them all is not a serious option, Ornithopters are slightly too weak to consider as a main attack force, while Catapults can't safely approach the enemy without the protection of strong (undead) armies.
The list doesn't stop there. The regency have no cheap scout unit. Ornithopters and to a lesser degree Mountaineers are reasonably good at reconnaissance but too expensive to build in large numbers. However, if your enemy is reckless enough to let his scouts approach your ghouls, you can still gain a couple of cheap scouts.
Further, the much-needed backup units (necromancer and spectre) are both quite slow and the Regency have no special methods of compensating for this low speed.
Altogether, Regency is a challenging race to play with, though it can certainly be lots of fun.

Edit:
I just tried a novel (at least for me) strategy with Theria, relying heavily on Aetherlings. Magic was BMM, for the combination of Might of Giants, Psionic Gift and Ancestral Learning. Of course, the latter is not an enchantment and does not auto-cast with affinity, but it can still be used to boost them further. Plus, skeletons provide an early militant unit. (Normally, rush strategies are hardly possible with Theria because they have no early militant unit.) God was Fenyela (Eryonix would also have helped a lot, but since aetherlings are low on health and resistance I still prefer Fenyela here).
It worked very well. Actually, I would call this a rush. And there I was saying Theria can't rush.. I love it how you can just keep learning and discovering new strategies in this game.

It also turned out that when a unit with Psionic Gift gains a level, his psionic blast gets stronger, too. Is this intentional or a bug?

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 03-09-2010 06:49 PM]
03-09-2010 at 04:27 PM
Danjen02
Actually, mountaineers and lumberjacks make damn fine scouts. Mountaineers can bring other units along mountains, such as ghouls (they have the guide ability, right? :unsure), and lumberjacks double as extra work if they don't need to scout any more.

Another fun trick is to Degenerate a phalanx, which removes their Dependent ability, and lets them go on the offense. Though, ghouls are arguably tougher for the life drain + extra units you can get with them.

And you do raise a good point with the saboteur: I've only looked at it as stopping their gold income for a turn, which obviously doesn't sound too good. But, if they're poor, or use a lot of magic upkeep (ie, another regency player), hitting their swamp town could really devastate them.

---

Goblins are tricky to use, because everything is attackable, and thus killable, making them potentially rather fragile. Also annoying is the fact that all their units have to die a conquest game (I think), which makes playing against another player who just runs in circles really annoying (foresight on the goblin tribe = :weep)

And the alliance is rather difficult to gauge as well, since it is effectively 7 half-races, and the playstyle varies among each combination, just as the individual races do. For example, you could have a military rush via humans and dwarves, or set up a constant lumberjack + forester work production with elves and regency.

Also, my instinct is that the Psionic gift thing is intentional, since it would make sense to scale with level.

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 03-10-2010 08:14 PM]
03-10-2010 at 08:13 PM
The Mystic
Danjen02 wrote:
And the alliance is rather difficult to gauge as well, since it is effectively 7 half-races, and the playstyle varies among each combination, just as the individual races do.
And with 21 possible combinations for an alliance, there's a lot to choose from.

Speaking of alliances, I've been meaning to ask: Is it my imagination, or is the slave pen unavailable when you play as an alliance that includes Regency?

03-11-2010 at 01:12 AM
Danjen02
I'm not sure offhand, but it would make sense. After all, the description says that the races don't share all their secrets. This would include both high-end and lower-end stuff, like the slave pen.

03-11-2010 at 01:46 AM
grobblewobble
Danjen02 wrote:
Actually, mountaineers and lumberjacks make damn fine scouts. Mountaineers can bring other units along mountains, such as ghouls (they have the guide ability, right? :unsure), and lumberjacks double as extra work if they don't need to scout any more.
Yes, you can use those units as scouts. And mountaineers do have guide. But compare this:

Mountaineer:
abilities mountaineer, guide, build tower
movement 4 (I think?)
work 40, upkeep 2 gold

Scout:
abilities mountaineer, ranger
movement 4
work 20, upkeep 1 gold

The scout has the ranger ability, so it can travel the map easier, and is twice as cheap, both in upkeep and in work. All else equal, this would make it much easier for the humans to produce them in mass numbers and quickly scan the map and grab the resources. Mind you, I'm not saying that the scout is a better unit than the mountaineer (it has a different purpose), only that it is a better scout.

And of course, draining enemy scouts with ghouls is the Regency way of compensating. ;)

Danjen02 wrote:
Another fun trick is to Degenerate a phalanx, which removes their Dependent ability, and lets them go on the offense.
Indeed, I forgot to mention that. Phalanx have shield and break
charge, so against an opponent rushing with lots of archers and/or knights this could be very effective.

And degenerating the regency "envoy" (I can't recall the proper name at the moment) can of course also work well.

Danjen02 wrote:
And you do raise a good point with the saboteur: I've only looked at it as stopping their gold income for a turn, which obviously doesn't sound too good.
In fact, it can be very good, because if the opponent is low on
gold, it could mean that he fails to pay the upkeep, resulting in many buildings collapsing and / or units abandoning. ;) For best effect, sabotage all of his largest towns in the same turn.

Danjen02 wrote:
or set up a constant lumberjack + forester work production with elves and regency.
This is a fun one to play around with! Another very effective
combination is regency + human, build mausoleum and mass-produce
revenant swordsmen. This is really devastating if your opponent is nearby.

Mystic: I'm not sure about the slave pen, do you mean it shows
up in the tech tree but you can't build it?
03-12-2010 at 09:54 AM
The Mystic
grobblewobble wrote:
Another very effective combination is regency + human, build mausoleum and mass-produce revenant swordsmen. This is really devastating if your opponent is nearby.
You know, that sounds like a really effective way to deal a nasty blow to any opponent, though I prefer to have a might monolith in a town before doing any type of rush strategy. And since the might monolith would allow the swordsmen to start as veterans, that would make them just a bit more of a pain to your opponents. Normally, I don't play as alliance, but I could give it a try.

Is there a strategy page in the wiki? If not, maybe we could add one.
Mystic: I'm not sure about the slave pen, do you mean it shows up in the tech tree but you can't build it?
I'm saying that when I start a game where regency is part of an alliance, the slave pen doesn't show up in the tech tree at all.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 03-12-2010 03:18 PM]
03-12-2010 at 03:16 PM
Danjen02
The Mystic wrote:
You know, that sounds like a really effective way to deal a nasty blow to any opponent, though I prefer to have a might monolith in a town before doing any type of rush strategy. And since the might monolith would allow the swordsmen to start as veterans, that would make them just a bit more of a pain to your opponents. Normally, I don't play as alliance, but I could give it a try.
Most of my RTS experience comes from Starcraft, which is fundamentally different from Leylines. Even so, every race should some way to military rush that stops an opponent that focuses on teching instead of defense or an attack of their own.

I've only really played against the AI from lack of local players. The email multiplayer seems unwieldy ... would head to head direct multiplayer be that hard to implement? One computer would be the host machine, and could have up to 7 clients connect.

Is there a strategy page in the wiki? If not, maybe we could add one.
I believe there is... I think I set up page links from each race's main page. So if you clicked regency, it should have links to units, buildings, strategies, and stuff.

03-12-2010 at 07:59 PM
B.J.Earles
An interesting alliance combination is regency + dwarfs. This gives you access to the caravan unit, which lets phalanx go on the offense without using degenerate. You can also use chanters to bless your phalanx, something that regency can't do on its own. Unfortunately, you don't get access to the diplomat with an alliance.
03-16-2010 at 04:27 AM
Radiant
Thank you all for contributing to the wiki so far, I must say it is shaping up very nicely.

I was wondering, though: given its relatively small size and scope, perhaps we should move it into a subsection of either the Strategy Wiki, or the Gaming Wikia? This could attract both more interest in the game, and more editors. What do people think?

[Last edited by Radiant at 04-19-2010 10:31 PM]
04-19-2010 at 10:31 PM
grobblewobble
Sounds good?

Did some work on the skill descriptions, but there remains a lot to be done. It would also be nice to have a section in the wiki with general advice on strategy (such as, how do I find a good location for my new city, etc).

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 04-20-2010 12:01 PM]
04-20-2010 at 11:59 AM
Danjen02
Yeah, I don't have any problems with that (wish I could contribute more..)

04-21-2010 at 03:56 AM
Danjen02
Has anything been moved over yet, or...?

05-03-2010 at 04:24 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : The Leylines Wiki
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes