Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Gigantic Jewel Lost (Various themes)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.5/10 (43 votes)
σ 1.17
Author Name:Zch and Kallor
Submitted By:Zch
Hold Name:Gigantic Jewel Lost
Theme:Various themes
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:18
Number of Rooms:370
Number of Monsters:4101
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:22 (+22 / -0)
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2384
IP: Logged
icon Re: Gigantic Jewel Lost (+1)  
Click here to view the secret text
Same thing in Indoors 2N3W. ;)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-20-2009 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Gigantic Jewel Lost (0)  
disoriented wrote:
Same thing in Indoors 2N3W. ;)
Oh, that's a shame; how did we miss that? (As for the the other room, I'm still looking for an intended solution.)
08-20-2009 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Well, I am feeling no love at all for the Molten Core level, I will say that. Maybe some time and reflection will improve my outlook, but since the rooms all involve aumtlich and wraithwings I seriously doubt it. On the plus side, the other levels have all been excellent...

</whine>

08-21-2009 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hammerite
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
I might have found a trivial solution to Underground Lake 2S 1E. I don't know if it was intentional or not.

08-31-2010 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hammerite
How come Four Times As Fun doesn't appear on any of the site's hold features? For example it doesn't appear in the "Get Help For A Room" level list.
09-09-2010 at 04:26 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
This hold's authors have marked Four Times as Fun as a secret level. That means, only CaravelNet subscribers who have visited the level and have properly uploaded their progress will be able to see it in H&S.

Folks like you, who don't have CaravelNet, can still locate the existing H&S topics by doing a regular forum search for "Gigantic Jewel Lost : Four Times as Fun" in the topic line. (Note the space on both sides of the colon. You have to type it in exactly that way.)
09-09-2010 at 04:47 AM
Hammerite
I don't know if this is an unintended solution, but in Four Times As Fun 2N4E you can get your sword back and complete the room easily. Just run to the other entrance after stepping on the pressure plate/disarm token, and you can make the disarm token available again. Other rooms in the same level stop you doing something like this by making the entrance pressure plates toggle the doors, so I don't know if leaving these doors as open rather than toggle was an oversight or intentional.
09-09-2010 at 06:02 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373

File: GJL Goblin Woods 4N1E Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 90 times.
License: Public Domain
A couple of unintended solutions, one trivial:

[Last edited by TripleM at 10-13-2010 04:36 AM]
10-13-2010 at 04:36 AM
Yur-Val
Rank Points: 66

File: 1 UL 1.jpg (131 KB)
Downloaded 134 times.
License: Public Domain
could complicate this room ;)
11-03-2010 at 05:20 PM
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: Gigantic Jewel Lost (+3)  
And... post-mastered! This was a really fun and enjoyable hold, the best I've ever played and having beat it, I feel really accomplished as it is probably the first 6+ brain hold I've beaten (except the MetDRoiD holds which must have been rated high due to exploration difficulty). I have a lot of comments for this hold, but since I'm leaving soon and there are a whole 370 rooms, I'll have to wait a bit later and edit this post with my comments. Big thanks to the following people for helping me master this hold:

disoriented
mxvladi
TripleM
TFMurphy

Big thanks to Zch and Kallor for making this extraordinary hold, big thanks to Erik and everyone else who made TCB possible and big thanks also goes to the people who commented on this hold when it was in the Architecture board so that it is as good as it is now. It has been a really enjoyable 2 weeks playing this. :)

This is the kind of hold that makes you excited to re-watch your demos just because the puzzles were so hard, you're interested in how you solved them (or at least that's what it is for me).

And here are my comments. I'll be commenting on every level with puzzles and the rooms I'll be commenting on will be from left to right, top to bottom. These comments do not contain the solutions that much, so feel free to read even if you haven't beaten the hold yet. They're just ways in which I was fascinated really:

First though, comments for the whole hold. Zch and Kallor have once again done a splendid job with their hold. Like last time, they had interesting puzzles, cool artwork, they have the best ways of concealing secrets (2 level in this hold are hidden in the most intuitive of ways), and they have awesome side-quests and unncessary things that make the hold more fun. These guys are geniuses in architecture and they have created an epic masterpiece. I would consider this hold the epic of DRoD (if that makes sense). Now onto comments on the levels.

Goblin Woods:

Tunnel Network:

Underground Lake:

Lava Land:

Molten Core:

Indoors:

Long Path
Four Times As Fun
Rorrim Rorrim
Despair & Depression

Will do these later.

[Last edited by vinheim at 11-21-2010 03:19 AM]
11-20-2010 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Finally, finally, finally mastered this hold. (And, thanks to some early stubbornness, in a single save--no restoring back to earlier secret rooms, except of course the necessary restore to before exiting the hold.)

If you haven't done this, if you gave up on this, if you felt intimidated by this: do yourself a favor and make it through. Hints & Solutions is very much your friend (as is in-game chat, if you've got CaravelNet; there's very likely to be someone in chat who's finished the hold and can offer advice). The post-mastery area is really stunning--but of course, the entire hold is really stunning. (The puzzles are likely to leave you stunned as well, in a deer-in-headlights kind of way, but see above.)
03-28-2011 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
FINALLY, I thought that I would never be able to conquer this hold, but i have done it. Awesome hold, with lots of new puzzles and some of them very evil, this hold take me around a year to conquer it. I give my thanks to ZCH and Kallor for do this jewel of hold.
Now is the turn of post-master the hold. Give 9,5 brains and 10 fun.
12-22-2012 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Gigantic Jewel Lost (+2)  
Umm, I completed several rooms but I think the slider puzzles eventually convinced me to give up.

Pearls has posted a complete walkthrough called Let's Play Drod: Gigantic Jewel Lost on Youtube.

After watching all 159 10 minute videos I am confident in saying that this hold is a masterpiece.

Play this hold and you can get help via h&s board, chat, or the walkthrough video.

What you get:
Incredible level art
Amazing job of hiding secrets
Unique use of drod elements
Surprising math thoughts
Great scripting allowing player to write mini programs for a robot

Just AMAZING!!

[Last edited by larrymurk at 01-26-2013 10:30 PM]
01-26-2013 at 10:29 PM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
icon Re: Gigantic Jewel Lost (+2)  
I just conquered this hold, there are just no words for this! Everything I've seen so far is brilliant, and I guess I still have about half of the hold to discover. Definietly 10/10.

I wouldn't recommend it as the first custom hold to play as there are just too many "Ah, I never thought of that!"-moments (that was my mistake), but I think everybody who has some experience should take a look at this. Also, the hold is difficult, but not insanely hard (I had to look up a few H&S pages, but I managed to solve most rooms on my own), so really, there's no excuse not to play this ;) .
02-04-2013 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Hold totals
Moves: 220353
Kills: 13765
Deaths: 878
Time: 53:21:52
Secrets found: 57

Finally mastered this (in one save, no hints too!). Now I can watch Pearls' videos without getting spoilered. A very epic hold in multiple ways. Some more in-depth comments about what I liked and didn't like, as well a few notes about notable individual rooms secreted below:

All in all, the hold is definitely a must-play, and getting past the chain of annoying stalwart rooms on the second level is worth it, as the rest of the hold is once again as good as the first level and there are some very interesting ideas.
05-10-2013 at 03:25 PM
Kyp
Rank Points: 33
Just conquered it. Only 85% of secret rooms found...

I'm going to suffer to find those 15% remaining ones.

A very good hold. You can see a lot (and I mean A LOT) of work went into it.

I have nearly only good things to say about this hold, but there are two things that bothered me.
First, the hold is very difficult. I've played more difficult holds before, but never this long. It's possible most other players will disagree, but when a hold is long, I prefer it to be easier. When I finally exit one of those huge levels and arrive in an all new huge level that promises to be at least as difficult as the previous one, I tend to despair. :p

Second, some secrets were evilly hidden. I remember a lot of suffering to master Dr. E. Will's Mega Complex and I'm sure it will be even worse here. :|

But I still enjoyed it greatly. :fun

And in Underground Lake 2N1W,

Edit : Post-mastered ! :thumbsup

I was right to worry : I did suffer.

And I finally needed to look at the H&S board (when there's only one missing secret room, it's a bit frustrating). It was for the vault in 3N1E.

After seeing the post-master level, I have only one thing to answer to Zch and Kallor : "Well done to you". ^^

[Last edited by Kyp at 12-30-2014 12:11 PM]
12-28-2014 at 12:57 PM
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
Much has been said about this hold already, so I'll try to keep it brief. If you haven't yet, you should play (or at least try) this hold. It took a few years of on and off playing for me to finally complete the hold, but even when I was absent I was eager to see more of it; just about everything about it comes together to make a pleasing whole. If you've completed TSS, this hold should definitely be manageable for you, but even if you don't think you're ready for it yet, many levels (including the first one) are open and non-linear, allowing you to try and complete rooms at your own pace.

Zch and Kallor are masters of taking a few elements and designing giant aesthetically-pleasing levels around them, where each room has a unique twist or lynchpin. Aspects of a level that seem purely aesthetic at first are weaved in and out of the puzzles without ever feeling forced, and the many interesting things to find in the secrets tended to provide a nice change of pace. This hold is truly a masterpiece.

06-04-2015 at 06:36 PM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Haven't played much for a few months but since I started to watch Pearl's LP of this hold I thought I should play it myself.

Can't really add much more to what has already been said - this is a brilliant hold. It is difficult although the difficulty does seem to fluctuate but there are H&S topics for most rooms. The art is amazing and I'm particularly impressed that the graphical theme for a level is also part of the solution for some of the rooms.

I can't think of any real criticisms for this hold, I did spot a couple of spelling errors but I think that can be forgiven.

In short, if you're a decent player then you must play this hold. If you're not, then practice on easier holds until you're skilled enough to manage this.

Fun: 10
Difficulty: 8.5

Progress - Gavin G
07-24-2015 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Gigantic Jewel Lost (Various themes)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com