Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Vector Vendetta (updated July 2010) (Multiplayer, boss monster, and demo recording!)
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Re: Vector Vendetta (0)  
Okay, time for some l33t debugging here.

11-01-2008 at 09:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
My newest high score to date: 4570. I now need to get a score of almost 4000 to qualify for the high scores list on my computer. I'd also like to post my longevity record; one time I started on Wonk and went through about half of Kudzu without losing a life. I then lost my three remaining lives on BFG in a most spectacular fashion.

I finally got a laser to work right for me! I just finished killing everything on Magnus, except for a Brick flying around. Then I accidentally hit the right mouse button and used my laser powerup, killing the Brick. Probably a bug, but a neat trick nonetheless.

I managed to finish Neumann, and another Neumann level began immediately, with no intro screen or any other preamble. Is this normal?

And just out of curiosity, how do you calculate the random appearance of powerups? It seems like some games I get one powerup every two or three kills, while in other games I'm lucky to see a powerup appear by the time I reach Xaos.

Click here to view the secret text

11-01-2008 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
My latest high score: 7064. :shhocking :glasses A couple of nights ago, I had some extremely good luck come my way.

11-05-2008 at 08:03 PM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
I'd also like to post my longevity record; one time I started on Wonk and went through about half of Kudzu without losing a life. I then lost my three remaining lives on BFG in a most spectacular fashion.
<g> yeah, those are rather nasty.

Then I accidentally hit the right mouse button and used my laser powerup, killing the Brick.
That's actually not a bug. The laser should kill everything, including Bricks. Are you saying the laser sometimes doesn't work for you, though?

I managed to finish Neumann, and another Neumann level began immediately, with no intro screen or any other preamble.
Yes. The intro screens are to introduce new enemies, and Neumann is the last.

And just out of curiosity, how do you calculate the random appearance of powerups?
Whenever an enemy dies, it has a one-in-five chance of dropping a powerup. It is, admittedly, very random.

11-06-2008 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
I'd also like to post my longevity record; one time I started on Wonk and went through about half of Kudzu without losing a life. I then lost my three remaining lives on BFG in a most spectacular fashion.
<g> yeah, those are rather nasty.
Yes, especially when three of them start out facing your direction. :protest
Then I accidentally hit the right mouse button and used my laser powerup, killing the Brick.
That's actually not a bug. The laser should kill everything, including Bricks. Are you saying the laser sometimes doesn't work for you, though?
The laser itself works fine. Using it, however, causes the game to get stuck on the level I used it on; put simply, I don't move on to the next level after all enemies are killed. My accidental killing of that Brick at the end of the level is the only exception.
And just out of curiosity, how do you calculate the random appearance of powerups?
Whenever an enemy dies, it has a one-in-five chance of dropping a powerup. It is, admittedly, very random.
Thanks, I was just curious. Now that I know it's just a simple 20% chance instead of some complicated system, I won't bother worrying.

11-06-2008 at 05:25 PM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
Aster and Kudzu only give you points when you kill them. I think it's true for Neumann as well,
This is intentional for Kudzu (too easy to get infinite points otherwise), a bug for Asters, and does not appear to be the case for Neumann.

The Mystic wrote:
Sometimes using ESC to end a game doesn't work.
This appears to be a bug in AGS, nothing much I can do about it.

[Last edited by Radiant at 11-14-2008 04:23 PM]
11-14-2008 at 04:21 PM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
Aster and Kudzu only give you points when you kill them. I think it's true for Neumann as well,
This is intentional for Kudzu (too easy to get infinite points otherwise), a bug for Asters, and does not appear to be the case for Neumann.
Thanks, I wasn't entirely sure about Neumann; by the time I reach that level, I usually no longer worry about my stray shots to notice where they're going.
Sometimes using ESC to end a game doesn't work.
This appears to be a bug in AGS, nothing much I can do about it.
I found a workaround for this. In windowed mode, click anywhere outside the window, and then click the window. ESC then works normally.

Also, I've been wondering: Am I the only one who's been giving bug reports?

11-16-2008 at 02:47 AM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
Also, I've been wondering: Am I the only one who's been giving bug reports?
No. You are, however, the most prolific.

I've uploaded version 1.1 in the first post. This fixes the following bugs:
* Laser causing stage to hang
* New game starting with a powerup
* Powerups or asters disappearing off-screen
* Division by zero error
* Asters giving no points when splitting

Furthermore, as requested, the keyboard support is changed. You can now use ADWS to move around, in addition to the cursor arrows; rotation keys have moved to ZX, as well as [ ]. This should make controlling easier for left-handed people.

11-16-2008 at 10:01 AM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
Am I the only one who's been giving bug reports?
No. You are, however, the most prolific.
That comes from my college days when I took a handful of (now outdated) programming classes. One teacher in particular put a lot of emphasis on fully flowcharting programs before writing a single line of code. Because of this, I've grown rather adept at finding bugs without really trying.

I spent some time playing the new version (no new high scores--yet), and here's what I've observed so far:
Lasers do in fact work now! Yay! I don't really use them, but that's just my playing style.
I have yet to have a powerup disappear on me.
Asters now give points correctly, but they still have a tendency to kill themselves when they have one hit left, leaving behind an enemy shot.
Wonks (at the very beginning of a level) and Kamis sometimes seem to get lost and wander off-screen for a while. This was even true before the new version.
The voice telling you what powerup is available is kind of distracting for me. Is there a way to turn it off?

[Last edited by The Mystic at 11-18-2008 02:39 AM]
11-18-2008 at 02:38 AM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
Asters now give points correctly, but they still have a tendency to kill themselves when they have one hit left, leaving behind an enemy shot.
Because that's intentional. Otherwise you can get a screenful of fast-moving tiny asters after wiping the rest of the level, which is just anoying.

The voice telling you what powerup is available is kind of distracting for me. Is there a way to turn it off?
No, but I'll remove it if it bothers people.

11-18-2008 at 08:48 AM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
Because that's intentional. Otherwise you can get a screenful of fast-moving tiny asters after wiping the rest of the level, which is just anoying.
On the contrary, I don't mind them at all. Experience playing Asteroids and similar games can make you a fairly good shot against such things. Plus, having the Spread powerup helps wipe them out relatively quickly. :glasses

I thought the suicidal Asters were a bug, but since they're actually coded that way, I'm willing to deal with it if other people are.

11-19-2008 at 02:40 AM
The Mystic
icon Re: Vector Vendetta (updated Nov 2008) (0)  
I made it back to the first level after Neumann, and I like the idea of having an intro screen before each level. I find it helps to have a breather every so often. :wacko One question: Does the game run a little faster than it did before the update, or am I just imagining things?

In addition to what I said earlier about Asters: I don't mind that they kill themselves, but I do mind when they come right up to you and implode. I've long since lost track of how many lives I've lost that way. :angry

Edit: No new high scores to report, but I now need 4000 points (actually I lied a bit, it's 3998) to get on my high score list.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 11-30-2008 07:39 PM]
11-30-2008 at 07:34 PM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
Does the game run a little faster than it did before the update, or am I just imagining things?
I don't think it does; the core code hasn't changed.

In addition to what I said earlier about Asters: I don't mind that they kill themselves, but I do mind when they come right up to you and implode.
<g> I consider that a feature, just like the BFGs.

11-30-2008 at 08:04 PM
The Mystic
New personal longevity record: Wonk to (almost all of) Neumann on one life.
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
Does the game run a little faster than it did before the update, or am I just imagining things?
I don't think it does; the core code hasn't changed.
Then it's probably just me; I have a fast computer to begin with, so the game (briefly) appeared faster.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 12-03-2008 06:09 PM]
12-03-2008 at 06:08 PM
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15

File: awesome score.jpg (43.2 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
License: Public Domain
I come to report Pure Awesomeness!
Me and my brother were cruising along, had beat the neumenn four times, and still had 3 lives to go...when suddenly, as we finished the level, what should happen but...well, not sure, really.
it was either the end of the game, or a bug.
nothing to be alarmed about, we were using the old version.
but still, when it refused to go onto the next level, we had to end the game.......ON A SCORE OF 11875!!!!
there's even proof(see attached file)!

I'm gonna download the new version now, to make sure there isn't any more fatal bugs to ruin our awesomeness.

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
01-04-2009 at 04:08 AM
The Mystic
wonkyth wrote:
A SCORE OF 11875!!!!
:Notworthy :Notworthy :Notworthy :Notworthy :Notworthy
Congrats on a mega high-score, and setting the bar higher. I haven't gotten a new high score since the last one I posted (a measly 7000-something), but not froma lack of playing. However, I will say that the lowest score in my hall of fame is inching higher.

01-05-2009 at 04:37 AM
wonkyth
thanks. :)

My personal(single player) score is only 8439, and my lowest is 5141.
some time I'm going to write a strategy guide for this game.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
01-08-2009 at 11:06 AM
Radiant
wonkyth wrote:
some time I'm going to write a strategy guide for this game.

Interesting! I'd like to see that.

01-08-2009 at 11:51 AM
wonkyth
I'll see if I can get to it.

I have noticed that you don't get any points when you use a nuke, although I think you did in the old version.
I have also noticed that the shots added by Retro and Spreader bounce off cubes, is this supposed to happen?

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
01-09-2009 at 11:52 AM
Radiant
wonkyth wrote:
I have noticed that you don't get any points when you use a nuke, although I think you did in the old version.
I have also noticed that the shots added by Retro and Spreader bounce off cubes, is this supposed to happen?

Both of that is by design.

01-09-2009 at 12:05 PM
wonkyth
Then whats the point in th nuke?

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
01-17-2009 at 08:44 AM
Radiant
wonkyth wrote:
Then whats the point in th nuke?

(1) it looks cool, and
(2) it gets you out of a tight spot.

If, say, a level opens with three BFGs and four Neumann in it, nuke it and go for the next.

01-17-2009 at 08:51 AM
The Mystic
Seconded. If I have a Nuke available on BFG, I usually use it. Saves me a lot of headache, and stops me from swearing worse than a drunken sailor.
Radiant wrote:
If, say, a level opens with three BFGs and four Neumann in it, nuke it and go for the next.
Neumanns aren't so bad (Spread works wonders on them), but BFGs are horrible beyond words.

01-17-2009 at 11:14 PM
wonkyth
Nah, I reckon an extra life is nicer.
of course, it all depends on how you handle the BFG's, if you die too often, then maybe you should nuke when there are a few...
but still, when I'm playing alone, I get chain, then Pierce, then retro or shrink, then spread or shield(awesome).
then, if I have got shield, the I go extra lives.

however...if I'm playing two player, then it's different.
still get Chain and Pierce first, but then I take shrink or turbo, then shield or hyper.

the reason for not taking turbo single-player is this: when I'm on my own, I don't have time to steer too dramatically, and going fast just makes it harder.
also, as I don't have as much time to aim well, I take spreader.

when I'm playing two-player, I take turbo because the person steering can use all his energy on manoeuvring, making turbo very useful.
I don't take spreader two-player because the person aiming can spend all his energy doing so, removing most of the need for broad shooting.

advantages and disadvantages of the power-ups are:
chain - no disadvantages, makes hitting at a long range much easier.
pierce - no disadvantages, makes killing large targets and asters easier, useful for removing BFG's fast.
laser - only single use, great for killing something like a BFG that is about to shoot when you are cornered.
turbo - makes you move faster, sometimes causing you to crash into things while you aren't paying attention, makes it easier to outrun shots and kamis, and allowing you to catch power-up crystals easier.
hyper - same as above, only the speed at which you travel is almost fast enough to catch up to the crystals, and also to out-manoeuvre vultures.
stasis - very useful for taking out the hard guys like vultures, BFG's, neumenn and xaos.
retro - fires shots out the rear, protecting you from incoming suicidal baddies, but sometimes it can be annoying when you are trying to catch a crystal without killing the last badguy.
spread - great when playing single player, because it doesn't require as much brain-time, also useful for vultures, neumenn and asters, great for cleaning up quick.
nuke - can "save a lot of headache", but you don't get the points for the kill, you have not time to pick up any crystals, and you have to start the power-up bar from the beginning.
shrink - makes those fluke collisions with unexpected shots less likely, but sometimes makes it harder to collect crystals.
shield - absolutely awesome, makes it so that once you've got rid of the BFG's, almost nothing can harm you, so long as you keep your back to a wall and shoot any incomings.
one-up - almost nothing beats an extra life!!!

few things to remember:
it doesn't really matter how long you take to complete a level, so long as you don't lose any lives, and of course, don't get got by the Smite Cross-Hair.
so basically it works like this; kill the BFG's quickly, as they are the hardest to dodge(there laser, except for the charge-up, is instant, meaning that it doesn't move across the screen.
so unless you hear or see the BFG charging-up and get out of the way you get hit, making it so that you cant just keep an eye on shots near you.
next on the list are the Neumenn, as they can produce more BFGs.
killing Neumenn usually involves spraying shots in a tight cone, or getting very close before you train your sights on them.
next is vultures.
if none of these guys has reared their ugly heads yet, then don't go looking for them.
however, if there are any, get rid of them before they start circling or getting behind you.
to do this, simply sit on a wall, and wait for one to get stuck against it.
shoot it.
it will return fire, but it should be fairly easy to dodge their shots and still keep them stuck, as the vulture will be trying to circle around you, not fly into you.
next on the list is probably Xaos...the buzzy buggers!
the trick to defeating Xaos is to not be afraid of getting close to them, and then judging your shooting correctly.
once you get close to them they should start colliding with your shots.
be careful not to get too close though, as they have quite an effective gun and move in odd directions when least expected.

obviously, you are going to have to deal with the kamis at some stage, as they should all be following you around by now.
there are two ways to do this, the first is get a fair distance away from them before you shoot them, thus avoiding the splinters entirely, the second way involves shooting them whenever it is that you have the opportunity, and then avoiding the splinters by manoeuvring around them and putting them behind you, this can be done without turbo, but is more risky, as if there are any incoming shots from any other baddies, you will have no room to move and there is a great likelihood of you being hit.

when a snipe starts to move, try aiming for the wall that they are heading for, not the Snipe itself.

when an Aster only needs one more shot to kill it, try sitting parallel to the way it is flying, as it makes hitting it much easier. make sure you get out of the way though, because if you still miss, it's a waste of a life.

try flying infront of Wonk Mk.IIs, as there is very little chance you will be struck by an unexpected shot.

try to leave Asters till last, as they just make it difficult to fly otherwise.

once the BFGs are out of the way, Turbo and Hyper can make everything else a breeze, so long as you don't crash!

if you see an Aster at its smallest, shoot it, otherwise you wont get the points!

Never shoot the last badguy until all onscreen crystals have been gathered.

once you have shield and spreader, just CHARGE!!!!

Try not to take too long completing a level, for having the Smite Cross-hairtm chasing after you makes things tricky...

Drink a few cups of coffee before you play, not only does it make it more fun, but it seems to help. :D

always keep your cool :glasses even when you lose a life, if you don't, further lives may be lost.

Try different ways of playing. record your scores for each style. you may find that some ways work more than they fist appear to.

turn the music off. I'm sorry to say this, but however cool the sound might be, it's a little distracting, and it makes it harder to hear noises.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR PLAYING STYLE!
this means :
1. make sure you are using the right controls for you
a) keyboard only makes for good steering, but bad aiming.
b) mouse only makes for good aiming, but bad steering.
c) keyboard and mouse makes for good control all around, but requires more multi-tasking skills.

2. if you are playing two-player, make sure you both know who is in charge of using power-ups and starting the next level.

3. find out what power-ups you are best at using, and use them; if you are bad at facing BFGs, use a nuke or a stasis to take them out; if you are good at aiming, try to hold off on getting spread till later; if you are really good at steering, take turbo and hyper.

4. make yourself a routine, maybe expect to lose a life on BFG, then get it back next level; maybe get shield quickly so that you can focus on getting BFGs.

FOCUS ON THE ENTIRE SCREEN!
look out for BFGs getting close to facing you.

watch for more BFGs appearing out of Neumenn.

if you are hiding in the corner of the screen, watch out for wonks going off the screen: they may come out behind you!

keep a lookout for crystals flying around and see if you can intercept them safely.

USE EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK!
if you lose a life, kamikaze into as many enemies as possible before you stop flashing.

position yourself in front of a cube when you have retro to add extra fire-power.

use shield to protect you so that you can cross a field full of shots safely.

if you use both keyboard and mouse for movement, try using the left mouse button to augment your tricky manoeuvres.

MAKE SURE THAT...
you don't bump the mouse buttons on anything.
you don't move your mouse off the mouse pad mid level.
you don't hit the spacebar when your tense.
you don't move your mouse out of the window if you are playing in windowed mode.
you know how to exit the game!(ctrl+Q or alt+X)

I'm still expanding this, so bear with me :). :D

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes

[Last edited by wonkyth at 01-22-2009 11:58 AM]
01-18-2009 at 11:54 AM
The Mystic
wonkyth wrote:
when I'm playing alone, I get chain, then Pierce, then retro or shrink, then spread or shield(awesome).
then, if I have got shield, the I go extra lives.
My preferred route is Chain, Retro, Spread, Pierce. Then I go for Shrink, Shield, and 1-Up.

01-19-2009 at 12:02 AM
wonkyth
I've just got a new personal best: 9210.
not nearly as good as my two-player score, but it's much harder single-player... :P

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
01-19-2009 at 10:19 AM
Radiant
wonkyth wrote:
I'm still expanding this, so bear with me :).

Nice. If you put it into HTML and run it through a spellcheck, I'd be happy to host that on the Crystal Shard website.

01-19-2009 at 12:59 PM
wonkyth
I'll brush up my HTML, then :) .
I was thinking about adding some pictures as well.

I think there may still be a bug or two hidden in there somewhere though as I got to 11800 just now, and it wouldn't let me on to the next level.
really pissed me off.
I even destroyed the last two cubes with a nuke.
I WAS 79 POINTS OFF BEATING THE ALL TIME TOP!!!
if you've got any idea what causes that, and how you might fix it, then PLEASE, SAVE ME FROM ETERNAL MEDIOCRITY!!!!

and I still think you should get a few extra points for using the nuke, on top of the 100 you get for completing the level.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes

[Last edited by wonkyth at 01-21-2009 04:21 AM]
01-20-2009 at 11:36 AM
wonkyth
After browsing through the AGS games(450+ pages, I think it was),
I realised that I hadn't seen Vector Vendetta!
I went back and checked, but it wasn't there!
WHY NOT????!!!!????!!?!?!?!!X1076

I can believe it!
This game is a WORK OF ART!!!!
I cant believe you haven't posted it there!
:yikes

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
02-11-2009 at 02:01 AM
Radiant
There you go.

It's not an adventure game, so obviously it wouldn't be in a list of adventure games.

02-11-2009 at 10:23 AM
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Vector Vendetta (updated July 2010) (Multiplayer, boss monster, and demo recording!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com