Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask questions about DROD RPG (You know you want to) This topic has been locked
<<12131415
Page 16 of 16
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 255
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (0)  
I get those Evil Eyes blind!

It works now! :D

I have smited few Wraithwings & Evil Eyes now..you? ;)

[Last edited by The Architest at 09-18-2008 07:06 PM]
09-18-2008 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
my what big eyes you have.

09-18-2008 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
silver
it wasn't a question, and wasn't a reply specifically to you. it was just replying to the ExtraCritters setting with a quote from one of the English versions of Little Red Riding Hood.

[Last edited by silver at 09-18-2008 07:49 PM]
09-18-2008 at 07:48 PM
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
I killed small wraithwing recently using quick mouse movements aiming random points around it. It seems like my biggest archivement in the game so far :(.

[Last edited by halyavin at 09-19-2008 01:24 PM]
09-19-2008 at 01:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 255
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+1)  
Challenge : Play DROD RPG for few days then try return to normal DROD! :D

It was painful to my eyes when I saw that..wow...I can create so big rooms with normal DROD!

09-20-2008 at 01:05 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've got a question about hidden/secret rooms and the concept of mastery. (I just saw a post mention this in Architecture, and I'm confused about it myself.)

First a comment about terminology. It's inconsistent, and so tempting for me to just use the regular DROD terminology that I (think I) understand.
1. Level set / hold - The main menu of the game calls them Level sets, but then there's a list of "Installed Holds" and a "Rate this Hold!" button. And the forum calls them holds.
2. Hidden / secret room - The game flashes "Hidden room!" when I find one, but then when I conquer the hold, it tells me "Secrets found 100%" and the bottom of the restore screen shows me "secrets found 40/40".

And now my questions:
Is there any specific reward for entering all the hidden/secret rooms and then conquering the level set/hold in the same savegame? I've noticed that the number of hidden/secret rooms found is part of each savegame, and I can restore to savegames with fewer hidden/secret rooms found. I'm aware that there might be a reward anyway if entering all hidden/secret rooms in the same savegame happens to be the most optimal path. If I would like to be able to edit a level set/hold that has "You and Masters" editing privileges, what do I need to do? Find all the hidden/secret rooms in separate savegames or the same savegame?
09-23-2008 at 10:27 PM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
You have to either:
A. Have the hold conquered and have an existing savegame with all secrets.
or
B. Have the hold conquered from a save with all secrets, then that save doesn't have to exist any more, since secrets conqured with is saved seperately.

09-23-2008 at 11:24 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (-3)  
Sillyman wrote:
[SNIP]
Are you a dev? May I remind you that questions in this thread are not meant to be answered by non-Caravel people?

CSR wasn't asking in this thread if she didn't want clarification from the Devs. Please do not reply if you're not one.

09-24-2008 at 12:46 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, Tim, let me ask you:

Is he wrong?

Cause he looks like he was answering something correctly.

And that's always helpful.
09-24-2008 at 01:35 AM
Tim
Banjooie wrote:
Well, Tim, let me ask you:

Is he wrong?

Cause he looks like he was answering something correctly.

And that's always helpful.
And what if I say he is?

I've just tried it, and it seems that

"Have the hold conquered and have an existing savegame with all secrets."

is not really necessary, secrets seems to be counted seperately like in the DROD games. So you can have different save files, as long as all the hidden rooms have been visited and one of your save file has completed the hold. (and this goes for his other part as well.)

[Last edited by Tim at 09-24-2008 02:02 AM]
09-24-2008 at 02:02 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I've got a question about hidden/secret rooms and the concept of mastery. (I just saw a post mention this in Architecture, and I'm confused about it myself.)

First a comment about terminology. It's inconsistent, and so tempting for me to just use the regular DROD terminology that I (think I) understand.
1. Level set / hold - The main menu of the game calls them Level sets, but then there's a list of "Installed Holds" and a "Rate this Hold!" button. And the forum calls them holds.
2. Hidden / secret room - The game flashes "Hidden room!" when I find one, but then when I conquer the hold, it tells me "Secrets found 100%" and the bottom of the restore screen shows me "secrets found 40/40".
Also, in the editor, the option is "Secret room".
09-24-2008 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
It's more complicated than that. Truthfully, someone with access to the source is likely the only one who can fully answer it.

But after experimenting further, it would seem the requirements may be as follows:

1) You must have completed the level set.
2) All Hidden Rooms in the game must have been visited *AND* left in at least one of your existing saves.

If you don't leave a Hidden Room in a saved game (as in, you save the game in the Hidden Room on the first time you entered it), then it doesn't count - you need to leave it just like in TCB to have it considered conquered.

Also, conquering the hold is its own hidden saved game. This is *overwritten* if you conquer the hold again. So conquering the hold with 100% secrets only works until you conquer it again - if you don't have 100% secrets on your next conquer, then you will lose editing rights once more unless you have the rest of the hidden rooms scattered amongst your saves.

So... it's a kinda fiddly system as it stands - the difference in the way we interact with our saved games can make it kinda confusing. It'd be nice if conquered Hidden Rooms were saved seperately so that you don't accidentally lose editing rights (unless, of course, a new hidden room is added).
09-24-2008 at 02:41 AM
Sillyman
Tim wrote:
Sillyman wrote:
[SNIP]
Are you a dev? May I remind you that questions in this thread are not meant to be answered by non-Caravel people?

CSR wasn't asking in this thread if she didn't want clarification from the Devs. Please do not reply if you're not one.

Are you a dev? May I remind you that people that are not devs have answered questions in this very thread even before release without complaint and that the devs have not said anything that clearly states that questions in this thread are not meant to be answered by non-Caravel people?

[Last edited by Sillyman at 09-24-2008 04:29 AM]
09-24-2008 at 04:29 AM
Tim
Since you are asking me to answer your question, I'll just make a statement here
(Of course, if my understanding was wrong, and you want a dev to answer your question they can always quote the following text):

====
My sincere apologies.

I was only proving you were giving false information, not answering. Besides, a full answer would take me even more time.

The procedure in the past was that people like you would just get a mod down, but I didn't want to waste my mod points. I now see that I should have done that instead.

You do make good insightful posts, quite often. I'd rather see you making more of the those kind of posts instead.

09-24-2008 at 12:15 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1234
Last time I checked, betatesters weren't allowed to answer questions. Since Sillyman is no betatester, he is perfectly able to legally answer the question, but it will be no official Caravel response.

And, I reckon this was only true before release, and betatesters can answer questions now too.
09-24-2008 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores
silver
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+2)  
"proving you were giving false information" ... you make it sound like he's purposefully deceptive and you're the police. instead of "trying to prove" he's "giving false information", and instead of simply modding down "false" posts, why not try replacing "proving" with "pointing out" and replacing "false" with "mistaken." Perhaps "pointing out you were giving mistaken information" reads like a synonym to you, but it has a much less inflammatory connotation. It doesn't sound so much like you think Sillyman is liar trying to waste people's time.

Obviously, if you read somewhere, or know from experience, that Sillyman's answer is wrong, but don't know the real answer, you can still be helpful by pointing out Sillyman's mistake (so other people know to treat it with a grain of salt and not as the final answer), but you don't need to be hostile or accusatory, thusly:

"I think that answer is mistaken, because I (read something else/tried that it didn't work). I'm not sure of the actual answer, so probably someone more knowledgeable can step in here."

It's really quick and painless to type, and doesn't sound like part of a cross-thread flame war against Sillyman.

[Last edited by silver at 09-24-2008 03:57 PM]
09-24-2008 at 03:55 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I'm glad I've kept my mouth shut until now. You guys explained it a lot better than I could.

I'll just point out that Tim's view would be a disaster if applied to the bugs or H&S threads.
09-24-2008 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Sillyman
Hmm... well, I see this post after seeing his response to one of my posts (as well as the one in this thread), and I think he might work with people with Aspergers Syndrome on a regular basis (no offense if you don't), because I understood him immediately. In fact, I just spent good mod points to flip that -1 on his post here.

The only bad thing about his post was that it sounded like he was angry at responding in this sacred cow of a thread, as opposed to merely trying to correct me. I would have taken no offense whatsoever at the latter.

Edit: Anyways, let us resume original programming, already in progress.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 09-24-2008 06:03 PM]
09-24-2008 at 06:02 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I'm pretty sure, yeah, the only issue is the Sacred Cow Thread mentality.

09-25-2008 at 01:00 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm locking this thread. This is not a direct response to the above fracas, which I believe was satisfactory resolved. Rather, it's because this thread was created before the RPG's release as a way for the dev team to generate interest in the game by releasing information in a controlled manner. This goal has become obsolete by the fact that the game has been released. But that's still not why I'm locking the thread. I'm locking the thread because at this point, it's a bad idea to have one thread that collates questions. With the game released, there should be a thread per issue, which makes it easier for everyone to find the thread later if they need to, and easier for Mike or myself or others to notice the thread and address the issue if necessary. CSR - could you please repost the question in a new thread (I thought I could split it out but apparently I don't have that ability). Nobody has that ability --Schik

Everyone - if you have more questions, just start new threads.

[Last edited by Schik at 09-25-2008 01:25 AM]
09-25-2008 at 01:22 AM
<<12131415
Page 16 of 16
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask questions about DROD RPG (You know you want to) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com