Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : LeyLines Features/Issue (Some feature tweaks I found.. maybe bugs?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TML_Winston
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon LeyLines Features/Issue (0)  
For lack of a better thread.

Features Requested: They may not be features, but bugs.. They may also not be easily accessed User Interface to get to them.

1. No way to Deselect building. Not only do you have a Building Queue limit and Dukat limit.. but you cannot stop building Units/Bldgs and thus you cannot focus the build or prevent yourself from overloading cost to early.
2. Can click to move a unit to a visible square 10 tiles away, but each turn have to do it again. There is no persistent pathfinding.
3. Full Screen mode. I was unable to access it, if its present. Take control of the resolution of the screen if cannot do rendering for tiles.
4. End Turn should have progess bar. It may not (I have a Quad Core) as I have yet to see a slowdown.

Initial Impression: Good game, but the UI was extremely bulky. The graphics are amazingly done. The background graphics can make reading stuff a bit harder to view as the graphics are so well defined.

Thanks,
Chris
12-03-2007 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: LeyLines Features/Issue (0)  
(1) You can stop building things by instead allocating your workers to gold, mana or food.

(2) This is already possible, go to the Mirror screen to turn the "Multi-turn movement" option on.

(3) See the beta testing thread.

(4) It shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds on any system, but it's impossible to reliably estimate how long it's going to take.

12-03-2007 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TML_Winston
Thanks for the prompt reply.

1. I was readily lost at allocation of my building units.

2. Default should always be multiple tile walking. Is there a reason for this?

3. N/A

4. Its a beautiful picture until you click the mouse button. Would be nice to know that you can "Click to Continue.."

In large, long playing games, the less clicks/edits the better. I find that the easiest interface would have been a combination of Master of Magic City building with Civ/etc unit movement. Having allocation of all workers with 1 click was really useful. Having to back out of screens to go into other screens is the nested UI model and for generic things just adds time and effort.

A real requirement for any game should be "Any function the operator accesses shall be accessed within 2 operator actions" Anything more will slow down and turn off us weak minded fools.

Thanks, I really appreciate the effort.

Winston
The Mage's Lair
12-03-2007 at 09:04 PM
TML_Winston
AS I go I am going to list issues:

1. No way of exiting out of the "Edit Map" from the initial screen. Can only go forward before being able to go back.

2. No option found for this multiple square over time walking.

3. Cursor response is slow at times. No specific pattern detected. System is NOT the issue. Quad Core Intel w/8600 GT and 4 gig ram. Only thing playing. CPU usage is 2% max on one core. XP.

4. Something that indicates movement rate before the creature dies.
12-04-2007 at 12:14 AM
TML_Winston
If you are in the middle of getting an offer from a hero, and you get into a battle, the screen comes back.. messed up.
12-04-2007 at 12:32 AM
grobblewobble
Rank Points: 11
Having allocation of all workers with 1 click was really useful.
Did you know you can allocate all workers in Leylines to 1 task by right-clicking?

1. No way of exiting out of the "Edit Map" from the initial screen.
To exit, click "files", then "abort game". I agree "abort game" is not very intuitive in an editor.

2. No option found for this multiple square over time walking.
To turn on multi-turn movement, press 'm'. You are now in the mirror screen. Here, you see a list of game options that can be turned on or off. The first option is multi-turn movement. Click it, or press 'm' again, to turn it on.

4. Something that indicates movement rate before the creature dies.
You can see how many movement points a selected unit has left this turn in the bottom right of the screen. What do you mean with "before the creature dies", is this about dependent units?

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 12-04-2007 09:19 AM]
12-04-2007 at 08:43 AM
TML_Winston
"1. No way of exiting out of the "Edit Map" from the initial screen.

To exit, click "files", then "abort game". I agree "abort game" is not very intuitive in an editor."

Actually I was refering to the initial screen you have an edit map button. You click it to see what it is (as people exploring are want to do) and you are stuck not being able to easily get back to the main screen. All the other functions (except play game) have easy (Esc, etc) ways of getting back to the main screen. For edit map you have to continue into editing then files, then abort game.

"
quote:4. Something that indicates movement rate before the creature dies.

You can see how many movement points a selected unit has left this turn in the bottom right of the screen. What do you mean with "before the creature dies", is this about dependent units?"

Yes.. dependent units. Playing multiple races, I lose creatures way to fast to lack of endurance. It is getting in the way of fun for me. Its like Eating and Drinking in MUDS.. you script it and deal with it once in a blue moon.. but any faster and you go to another mud.

Winston
The Mage's Lair.
12-04-2007 at 06:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : LeyLines Features/Issue (Some feature tweaks I found.. maybe bugs?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com