Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
Page 5 of 15
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Re: Leylines: still beta testing (0)  
Danjen02 wrote:
Any idea when it'll be ready? :P

Yes, but that would be telling :)

Click here to view the secret text

09-15-2009 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
O Goodie!

I promise that if you cranked up the power of the level editor, then I would make at least five full maps before I give up obligations.
I can't prose more because I've got plenty of prior commitments. :P

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
09-15-2009 at 10:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
I know I could make a whole slew of interesting maps. One thing I've learned for making balanced maps it to have several equal starting locations, and randomize who starts where.

Oh, and I have an idea for the scripting. I'm probably not far off with my previous post about how each node is like a line of code. If that were the case, would it be at possible to have scripts loaded from a simple text file where they are parsed into the game? Of course, you could still use the internal editor, but someone who is more of a code monkey would have the option of writing it in text rather than through the game engine. It's probably more effort than it's worth.

09-15-2009 at 08:47 PM
wonkyth
I like that idea...

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
09-16-2009 at 06:11 AM
Radiant
icon Re: Leylines: the revival thread (0)  
All right, I've finally gotten around to making a release candidate.

http://crystalshard.net/dls/ley_inst.exe

This adds all the missing flavor text, plus many quotes from seven of the heroes. Also, there are updated graphics (thanks to Fizzii) and numerous new portraits (thanks to Grimage). And finally, I cleaned out my lengthy bug list.

Please give it a shot!

09-30-2009 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
*thumbsup* Awesome! I can't wait till I get home! :D

(and maybe I'll get around to finally making that guide I said I'd do so long ago :P)

Edit: Okay, I've had a bit of time to mess around with it. So far, I've only had one major problem, which only occured once.

After the first turn passed I won the game. The only thing that may have caused this would have been using the "Keep" button during game setup. I was just testing it out on apprentice difficulty, too, if that matters. Or maybe the AI got unlucky and started on a tiny island and couldn't do anything?

Oh, and the options menu looked like a disaster; it had half a logo repeated over and over again, and the cursor was a grey square.

And I'm not sure whether it's a bug or not, but I had a normal assassin get into a fight with an enemy bowman. I had a mausoleum and the assassin died; instead of becoming a skeleton as described, it became a wraith!

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 10-01-2009 08:26 PM]
09-30-2009 at 05:31 PM
wonkyth
Downloading...

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
10-03-2009 at 10:15 AM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
After the first turn passed I won the game.
Do you have a saved game of that?

10-03-2009 at 11:58 AM
Danjen02
No, but after further testing, it appears to happen most frequently on a tiny sized map. I believe that it might be the AI deciding that it couldn't possibly win for whatever reason, and resigning. Or maybe it just runs out of money.

Edit: There is also a small cosmetic issue with energy spells. When the AI casts one at your units, the notification frequently lists the wrong unit. Messages such as "Pikeman was hit by an energy spell!" appear, when my Ghouls are hit, for example.

I also notice that the editor was not updated (even for the new pictures); the editor is probably a lower priority at this point, so it's not that big of a deal.

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 10-04-2009 06:47 AM]
10-03-2009 at 11:33 PM
Danjen02

File: Dark Beginnings.ley (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
This attached map file crashes the game when it is loaded to play on. I think the problem is that playing a map with more computers selected than allowed on the map will cause an error.

In my map, for example, you only have the player and the neutral wizard. However, the minimum number of computers is always 1, so this breaks it.

10-05-2009 at 06:04 AM
Danjen02

File: Undeadtown.ley (10.2 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Okay, now this is interesting. I created a town with an undead unit, and I have access to a bunch of summonable units! I have no idea whether or not this is a bug, but if its intentional, it's pretty awesome (if somewhat obscure).

10-05-2009 at 06:47 AM
Radiant
RC2, with patches based on the comments above.

Immobilize prevents fleeing (including foresight). Fix unit-based news messages. Fix mausoleum. Fix eagle's flight description. Fix crash on scenarios with too few cities. Fix AI immediately surrendering. Added missing pictures to script panel. Oh and yeah, undead cities are a deliberate easter egg.

http://crystalshard.net/dls/ley-update.zip (or just use the installer in the first post)

10-05-2009 at 09:41 PM
B.J.Earles
Rank Points: 18
Here's my list. I'm not sure if that last patch changed anything or not. I'll have to see.

When in non full screen mode, the boxes that surround the units are misaligned. Everything is shifted to the left for some reason. I can get a screen shot of this if you need it.

Whenever my game minimizes and I restore it, the screen becomes white (haven't tested in non full screen).

On some occasions I can't move one of my units into a space that they should normally be able to move into. This has even happened when trying to move into one of my cities, and it wasn't because of having to many units on one tile. It seems to only happen when trying to move one unit that's part of a group. I'll see if I can get a save game of this.

I had a funny instance when I was a fighting a small group of raiders where I was able to affect which of the raider's units were up front or behind. This was during the beginning of the battle when I was choosing my positions.
10-06-2009 at 11:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
B.J.Earles wrote:
On some occasions I can't move one of my units into a space that they should normally be able to move into.
Please send me a saved game for this one. I suppose it's not caused by impassable terrain?

I had a funny instance when I was a fighting a small group of raiders where I was able to affect which of the raider's units were up front or behind. This was during the beginning of the battle when I was choosing my positions.
And this one, too.

10-06-2009 at 12:28 PM
Danjen02
Radiant wrote:
B.J.Earles wrote:
On some occasions I can't move one of my units into a space that they should normally be able to move into.
Please send me a saved game for this one. I suppose it's not caused by impassable terrain?
I believe this happens to me, too. It seems to happen when you have a group where one unit has used its movement up for the turn, but the rest have not. You CAN in fact move the units, you just have to repeatedly select the ones that can move until the game no longer has the first unit selected.

Also, portraits in battle still need updating.

10-06-2009 at 09:55 PM
B.J.Earles
Noticed a few more things. There's a typo in the Arsonist's description, and missing words in the Haunting Presence description and the Major Cancellation description. The animation for the Sunbeam spell seems to have stopped working. I can still cast the spell, I just don't get the cool animation. On a couple of games, the portraits seem to be mixed around.

Haven't gotten around to making save games of the movement bug yet. It's on my to do list.
10-08-2009 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02

File: Slaveattackedcrash.ley (7.9 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Danjen02 wrote:
Oh, and the options menu looked like a disaster; it had half a logo repeated over and over again, and the cursor was a grey square.
Sorry, I'd just like to elaborate on this a little further. The game appears to still have graphical issues in windowed mode:

Many graphics fail to display correctly, either being cut off by some random colored shapes or rectangles, such as black boxes, or purple blotches (off the top of my head, selecting certain spell spheres), or not being displayed at all (unit stats, such as defence).

Also, drawn graphics (as in, those not pre-drawn pictures), such as the lines connecting items in the tech trees, or the shaded background when a window pops up, the appear to only cover the first quarter or third of the screen width, instead of the whole thing. I think that for the most cases, it's just a simple scaling issue.

Another issue: If you press the hotkey, alt-# to view an enemy unit during combat while it attacks, it appears to hang the game.

This save game should have the slave in the northwest city attacked by a trailblazer in the following turn; try pressing alt-1 just as the slave dies (if the dice are in the enemy's favor).

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 10-08-2009 10:43 PM]
10-08-2009 at 10:25 PM
Danjen02
I also forgot to mention that if you create a random map, and then try to load it as a custom made map, the game crashes (since only neutral players are in the game, and no actual players); I suggest that if everyone is neutral when the game starts, then it should randomly assign each person a start location.

The advantage to this would be that you could create a balanced map for each player to start randomly in. It would be ideal for tournament play, for example. Speaking of which, will this game ever have LAN support?

10-08-2009 at 10:55 PM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
Many graphics fail to display correctly,
The issue is that the game incorrectly detects your monitor as 16-bit color, whereas it is probably 32-bit.

Another issue: If you press the hotkey, alt-# to view an enemy unit during combat while it attacks, it appears to hang the game.
Try shift-#

10-08-2009 at 11:46 PM
Danjen02
What are some of the trickier interactions between units, spells, and abilities can you guys think of?

One example is that dependent units cannot venture far from cities. Casting degenerate will remove the dependency.

Or another one is that undead units cannot cross water, and aquatic mutation cannot be cast on undead. However, if you first cast aquatic mutation and THEN degenerate, the unit will be undead, and capable of crossing water until the mutation is removed.

10-13-2009 at 07:45 PM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
One example is that dependent units cannot venture far from cities. Casting degenerate will remove the dependency.
That is intentional. Dependent units need supplies and particularly food, and are either too stoic (in case of dwarves) or too lazy (for the Regency) to get it themselves. Undead? Don't complain and don't eat. If you're into Chaos magic anyway, it would seem like a sensible solution, no?

if you first cast aquatic mutation and THEN degenerate, the unit will be undead, and capable of crossing water until the mutation is removed.
I'm afraid that that would be a bug.

I think I'll go and look over the notes fields in the wiki tomorrow to clarify the questions there.

10-14-2009 at 12:36 AM
Danjen02
Radiant wrote:
That is intentional. Dependent units need supplies and particularly food, and are either too stoic (in case of dwarves) or too lazy (for the Regency) to get it themselves. Undead? Don't complain and don't eat. If you're into Chaos magic anyway, it would seem like a sensible solution, no?
It's really great with Phalanxes. They're pretty strong, but having no supplier units for the Regency tends to make it tricky to use them offensively. I tend to take a rank in Chaos magic when I'm playing Regency for just this reason.

Radiant wrote:
I'm afraid that that would be a bug.

I think I'll go and look over the notes fields in the wiki tomorrow to clarify the questions there.
Gotta love those obscure corner-cases, huh? :P Actually, after a bit of further testing, it appears that units that have the Amphibious ability naturally (I used a Raft Squad) that have degenerate cast on them behave normally.

Oh, and those notes were left there by myself, mostly as a reminder to test some things out. But by all means, go right ahead.

10-14-2009 at 01:19 AM
The Mystic
Danjen02 wrote:
Radiant wrote:
It's really great with Phalanxes. They're pretty strong, but having no supplier units for the Regency tends to make it tricky to use them offensively. I tend to take a rank in Chaos magic when I'm playing Regency for just this reason.
I haven't used Degenerate yet, but I have used the Body spell Night Eternal, since the effect is similar (albeit worldwide). It's true; undead don't need to eat, so they don't need suppliers. I'm surprised more undead don't have Tireless, since they really don't need to rest either.

Non-undead Phalanxes can at least travel within your cities' sight radii, due to their Dependent status. I find that they make an excellent defense, especially when combined with a good system of roads and/or ethereal paths.

Click here to view the secret text

10-14-2009 at 03:26 PM
Thobicus
Rank Points: 10
Hello everyone,

I was a player of Leylines, and bought it some time ago. So I am very pleased to see that it is again going to be developed.

One thing I always wanted to do was to be able to change the stats of units, spells and buildings; unfortunately that can't be done in the editor, and the game files are not accessible.

So first I want to thank the developer(s) for continuing the game, and secondly, if at all possible, I would like to know how to change those stats.

Thanks
10-22-2009 at 10:06 AM
wonkyth
At the moment, I don't think so.
It has been suggested a couple of times, and sounds like a good idea, as long as it was used.
I'm not sure what Radiant thinks of it...

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
10-22-2009 at 12:21 PM
Radiant
The game has some 150 different units, and you can mix-and-match them between various races in the editor; so it strikes me that you have many possibilities that haven't been exhausted yet before you would need to create more different unit types.

Aside from that, given that so far little to no scenarios made have actually used the script editor, I am not presently considering further enhancements to the script editor.

10-22-2009 at 01:09 PM
Danjen02
Even then, picking different spell spheres and alliance races provides a whopping number of combinations; surely you can find something to suit you. :)

10-22-2009 at 06:56 PM
BerserkerX
Hi, author! Great thanx for your work. Please, continue game making.

A few words about the newest version:
1) Graphics in the Options menu is a bit buggy.
2) The game often freezes and only ctrl + alt+ delete helps. The previous version was stable.

[Last edited by BerserkerX at 10-26-2009 01:49 PM]
10-26-2009 at 12:53 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
BerserkerX wrote:
2) The game often freezes and only ctrl + alt+ delete helps. The previous version was stable.

Thanks!

Regarding this issue, can you give me some more specifics? What system are you running on, and what exactly are you doing when the game freezes? Do you have a saved game of just before a freeze? Does it happen at end turn, or just before you cast a particular spell, or something else?

10-26-2009 at 01:39 PM
BerserkerX
Windows XP, Service pack 2.
http://www.multiupload.com/9SA6T1Y7RD

Move the soldier from town to another soldier (who made camp at exp location to the south).
The solder will make two steps, then icon will change to arrow (i.e he will continue moving next turn). End turn.

10-26-2009 at 01:48 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 5 of 15
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com