Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
Page 3 of 15
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
raen
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Re: Leylines: still beta testing (updated) (0)  
Okay, found a suggestion. For a person who loves Goblins (even though they're balanced, in fact maybe seriously flawed when you consider the EEE spell Meteor Storm), I had a serious problem. Scavengers' mining skill is ingenious, but that skill and the "Gather Mana" skill need to specify that multiple units on the same terrain all gather the mana/ducats that is shown from surveying. I just had to do a lot of experimenting on my own to figure it out, so I think you should display this fact prominently.
Another thing, since I just now figured out that you can put 6 scavengers on one tile of river, have you contemplated the effects of a group of six units attacking another group of six? What happens if no side has anywhere to run to, like if a battle took place on a lonely archipelago tile? Would it just be a battle to the end?
Note, also, the balance issues that arise from being able to put 6 scavengers on one tile of river. With 2 groups of tribes, you could complete that in 3 weeks, and increase your production by 18 gold. Maybe it should be that with gather mana and mining you can only use 1 unit on a tile to get the max effect. If you did that, they would spread slower at first, and then if you gave Goblins a race specific somewhat expensive counter-universal-magic-only spell, negating Meteor Storm, you could make them a race that can expand like locusts but die fast if you catch em early enough.
Wow, that was a lot of info... well, just my two cents :D
06-10-2008 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
raen
Woops, forgot something.
If you guys have ever played Warrior Kings, you know strategy-heavy Real Time Strategies. Anyway, in that game, there is a unit the Scout that makes a loud sound of a horn blowing and makes a huge green indicator on your minimap whenever he sees a new unit. This might be useful, like a green marker on the map for "new enemy spotted", and it would go well with Jay's watch suggestion.
06-10-2008 at 05:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
raen wrote:
I just had to do a lot of experimenting on my own to figure it out, so I think you should display this fact prominently.
I can add that to the manual, easily.

Another thing, since I just now figured out that you can put 6 scavengers on one tile of river, have you contemplated the effects of a group of six units attacking another group of six?
Sure. It's not a problem. Units cannot escape combat unless they actually have a place to run to. If units can't escape, they fight until death.

Note, also, the balance issues that arise from being able to put 6 scavengers on one tile of river. With 2 groups of tribes, you could complete that in 3 weeks, and increase your production by 18 gold.
Yes, and if you compare this to the production of a well-located gold city (which, incidentally, has much better defense than a group of scavvies), I'd say that goblins become unplayable if they're limited to one harvester per tile.

Meteor Storm is nasty against goblins, yes. It is also an Energy Mastery spell, which means it doesn't come into play all that often. On the plus side, goblins are unaffected by anti-city spells like Earthquake and Greed's Treachery.

And thanks for your suggestions.

[Last edited by Radiant at 06-10-2008 03:54 PM]
06-10-2008 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
raen
All right, I am in a state of extreme boredom, so I'm going to go through the Manual.
Many of these mistakes may already be fixed, as my copy of the game was downloaded a few weeks ago, but whatever.
Interface > And what are the symbols for unit statistics?: For consistency's stake, I think this should not have the "and", although this is a minor error.
Interface > Why do units suddenly appear in combat?: "Also note that if every remaining unit in combat is hidden or invisible, all are revealed." This is unclear to me, I don't understand what you're saying. Please provide an example.
Terrain > Why can't I pass mountains or jungle?: "If a unit also has the Guide skill, he can take others
along
on a
jungle or moutain trip." This is how the sentence actually looks, there is a completely separate line for "along".
Note - under "Terrain", you should why units cannot pass through snowy hills.
I'm not very motivated to do any more. I think that that is about all...
06-11-2008 at 02:10 AM
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Please disregard my previous post; the game works fine now. I had to reinstall it a few days before, and my copy of the zip file had apparently been corrupted. After redownloading & reinstalling, everything ran smoothly.

My only complaint now is that production queues don't seem to work when I play as an alliance.

Click here to view the secret text

06-13-2008 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
raen
How do I uninstall this game?
06-15-2008 at 01:04 AM
raen
I have an idea for another race, although I don't know if you are looking for one.
It's an insectoid race, which stresses groups of units. I can say more if you guys are actually looking for another race, but if you aren't tell me.
I want to uninstall the game so I can reinstall a newer version, can you guys help? How do I uninstall it?
06-15-2008 at 07:07 AM
Radiant
raen wrote:
I have an idea for another race, although I don't know if you are looking for one.[/quote
At the moment, not really. In the accompanying history documents there's already mention of an insectoid race (the Swarm) which didn't make the cut.

I want to uninstall the game so I can reinstall a newer version, can you guys help? How do I uninstall it?
You don't need to uninstall the game. Just overwrite it.

06-15-2008 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
Why did they get the cut?
was there any particular reason, or did you jut get stuck on rhyme with them?

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
06-15-2008 at 09:31 AM
Radiant
wonkyth wrote:
Why did they get the cut?

Lack of identity. It was basically a bunch of flying units with insectoid names tacked on. Note that S'Sirthe already do grouping a lot, and Goblins use swarm tactics.

06-15-2008 at 02:39 PM
raen
Do you - the creators of Leylines - have some tournament maps hidden somewhere? If not, many people could probably be convinced to make some for you :D
Also, I like the random map feature in the map editor, but how do I get more than 1 map?
06-17-2008 at 03:27 AM
Radiant
raen wrote:
Do you - the creators of Leylines - have some tournament maps hidden somewhere? If not, many people could probably be convinced to make some for you :D

No, but if you want to make some, please do.

06-17-2008 at 12:11 PM
raen
Okay, I'm working on a 1 vs 1 map now.
You really need to allow people to choose their color and let them choose their enemies' (Npcs only for this, of course) colors and races, and to also implement the feature that peoples' map settings are saved when they choose 'create random map' and come back later to that page. These features are so that it's easier for people to set up battles and experiments to their liking, and the game is pretty tedious otherwise (in the current situation :( )
I'm kind of.. how do you say it.. a noob when it comes to making maps. If I can I'll employ my friend to help me and make his own.
Just wondering, on a side note, I don't see any spell that gives Eagle Eye to units. If you decide to add such a spell, consider where it could be given. I'd say to the Mind sphere category, because Energy is already very diverse, it doesn't seem like it would fit the bill in Body, and in Chaos, well.. the spell is too orderly?
Thanks for making an awesome game..
06-17-2008 at 11:32 PM
raen
I just noticed that there's no exit screen once you choose the "call hero" option, so once you're there you end up picking a hero, even if it was accidental.
06-25-2008 at 02:32 AM
raen
Just a suggestion - I think it's more convenient to use sliders instead of drop down menues when you're defining your settings for random maps.
As well, I have a save of what looks like a bug.. PM or emailme, I guess.
07-05-2008 at 01:49 AM
daimyou
Radiant wrote:

Leylines

Updated since previous beta. Revision log follows.

Now available for beta testing. The new version is freeware, and contains eight races (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin, S'Sirthe, Theria, Regency, and Alliance) and lots of new spells, heroes, portraits and other goodness.

http://crystalshard.net/dls/leylines.zip - THIS IS A BETA VERSION.

Please post comments and bug reports in this thread, preferably with a saved game attached. A Linux version is pending, and we're looking into the possibility of network support.

Please post suggestions and discussion about units, races, and play balance in the other thread.
07-08-2008 at 12:33 AM
daimyou
icon 3 problems in previous beta release- have they been addressed ? (0)  
Have been playing Leylines for quite a while now, last played the 11/30/2007 beta release- found 3 problems, wondering if these have been addressed- 1. When you initiate combat with an invisible unit that does not want to fight you, the game hangs in an infinite loop with the message "Wait for the other wizard" flashing on the combat screen. 2. If you attempt to found a new city on land that has been frozen over during winter, even if it has a road built on it (otherwise your Adventurer,Colonist etc. would not be able to walk on it), the game crashes. 3. If the AI is seperated from you by water, you can build up a large naval attack force and simply crush the AI being it has little or no logic for extended sea-based attacks or even loading city-founding units on ships.
You have a potentially great game here, but these issues still holding the game back and it still locks up occasionally on the rendering screen (angel/end turn screen)
07-08-2008 at 12:47 AM
pixnaps
I use Ubuntu Linux. When running Leylines in Wine, the game crashes whenever I end a turn (even in the tutorial), and also when I try to open the 'manual' from the initial menu screen. Any idea what could be causing this? (I changed the options to the minimum requirements - low res, no detail, no sound or music. Still doesn't work.)

Below I quote the terminal output. (Warning: it's long.)

[Last edited by pixnaps at 09-11-2008 09:31 PM]
07-31-2008 at 10:45 PM
pixnaps
It also crashes on the 'About' page:

wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x01a25000 at address 0x40909e (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x01a25000 in 32-bit code (0x0040909e).

Help?
08-05-2008 at 03:01 AM
Radiant
Wow.

I have an idea that might work. At the top of the error message, it says "Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16". It so happens that Leylines runs in 16-bit color mode, whereas your desktop is probably in 32-bit. Could you change your desktop color depth to 16 bits per pixel and see if that works?

08-05-2008 at 08:41 AM
pixnaps

File: leylines wine error (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 95 times.
License: Public Domain
Radiant wrote:
I have an idea that might work. At the top of the error message, it says "Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16". It so happens that Leylines runs in 16-bit color mode, whereas your desktop is probably in 32-bit. Could you change your desktop color depth to 16 bits per pixel and see if that works?
Unfortunately, it doesn't help. (Neat idea, though!) It does get rid of that initial warning message. But I should have noted that the early messages appear to generate while the program is working fine. It's only the section from "wine: Unhandled page fault on write access" onwards that is from the crash.

edit: I'll add an attached txt which displays the resulting stack dump in more legible format...

[Last edited by pixnaps at 09-11-2008 09:31 PM]
08-05-2008 at 04:20 PM
daimyou
I keep getting emails that I've getting replies to this post but where would the replies be other than in the forum list? - original post- 3 problems in previous beta release- have they been addressed ? (no replies)
08-05-2008 at 10:09 PM
Akritas
Radiant wrote:
raen wrote:
I have an idea for another race, although I don't know if you are looking for one.[/quote
At the moment, not really. In the accompanying history documents there's already mention of an insectoid race (the Swarm) which didn't make the cut.

You don't need to uninstall the game. Just overwrite it.

Sorry about the OT post but where are these history documents? :) I'm interested but can't find them anywhere. :no
08-12-2008 at 08:34 PM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
I just realized that the game does not run fullscreen any more. I run Windows 1280x800 resolution, and the Leylines window takes up I think 800x800px square. When its not running fullscreen like this, I can't do anything to the lower 100 or so pixels, because thats where my start bar is located... Clicking in that region minimizes the game.

09-11-2008 at 04:20 AM
Radiant
Have you tried the config panel? You should be able to run the game in 1024x768 at least.

09-11-2008 at 10:32 AM
The Mystic
Rank Points: 18
Danjen02 wrote:
I just realized that the game does not run fullscreen any more. I run Windows 1280x800 resolution, and the Leylines window takes up I think 800x800px square. When its not running fullscreen like this, I can't do anything to the lower 100 or so pixels, because thats where my start bar is located... Clicking in that region minimizes the game.
That's the same resolution I have, and I have the same problem. My workaround is to move the window up a bit. It's not a perfect solution, but it works, more or less.

09-11-2008 at 04:28 PM
Danjen02
But the problem is that no matter the resolution, it's still a window, not a true full screen app.

09-11-2008 at 05:19 PM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
But the problem is that no matter the resolution, it's still a window, not a true full screen app.

Perhaps you can try this... find the file data\leylines.ini; see if it contains a line "FullScr:0", and if so, replace that with "FullScr:1"

09-11-2008 at 09:24 PM
Danjen02
Hey that worked! :D
Now the only problem with it is that it runs really slowly, due to the dissolve effects. I have music and sound disabled, and details set to off. Turning off High-Res would probably speed it up, but then it would make the interface a bit clunky.

EDIT: Also, if Leylines is minimized in fullscreen mode, it will crash. You said that was probably because you had no documentation on the windows shell?

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 09-11-2008 10:17 PM]
09-11-2008 at 10:08 PM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
EDIT: Also, if Leylines is minimized in fullscreen mode, it will crash. You said that was probably because you had no documentation on the windows shell?

Yes. Or, more precisely, lack of accurate practical documentation, such as a bunch of source code that does that and works.

09-11-2008 at 11:21 PM
Page 3 of 15
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com