Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
<<9101112
Page 13 of 15
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Danjen02
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Re: Leylines: the revival thread (0)  
Also, what's the exact effect from morale? Is it a %-based modifier to productivity?

05-05-2012 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Danjen02 wrote:
Also, what's the exact effect from morale? Is it a %-based modifier to productivity?

Precisely.

Oh yeah, and if it drops too low, your city will revolt and declare independence. This is a Bad Thing :)

05-06-2012 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Do you have the exact numbers? Just 'cuz I'm beautifying the wiki after all and need as much info as possible.
Actually, looks like 20% if they're in great spirits, 10% if only happy. I don't see any penalties for low morale (except for revolts, of course)

Also, in windowed mode, some things don't behave quite correctly. For example, the checkboard shading will only cover half the screen, or the mouse clips off the screen sooner than it should, or the armor icon shows up clipped (right side only, left half is a pink box). Minimap isn't rendered. Effects vary, but there's quite a few.

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 05-09-2012 08:59 PM]
05-09-2012 at 08:38 PM
felixdrake
Rank Points: 10

File: verybad.ley (25.3 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
License: Public Domain
I have had frequent lock ups between turns. Reloading will not fix, though playing from an earlier save sometimes will. Save game attached.

Version is whatever installs with your link on page 1 as of about a week ago.

[Last edited by felixdrake at 05-12-2012 06:16 AM]
05-11-2012 at 12:36 AM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
Do you have the exact numbers? Just 'cuz I'm beautifying the wiki after all and need as much info as possible.
Yes. It goes 130%, 120%, 110%, 100%, 90%, 75%, 0%. The 130 isn't really feasible though.

Also, in windowed mode, some things don't behave quite correctly.
Yes, this is caused by the game incorrectly determining your desktop color depth. I'll have to get around to compiling a new SDL version for Windows.

Regarding the wiki, I think we discussed some time ago to merge it into the StrategyWiki (if they would have us), because it'd get more coverage that way. Would this be feasible? I think it's both the same platform.

felixdrake wrote:
I have had frequent lock ups between turns. Reloading will not fix, though playing from an earlier save sometimes will. Save game attached.
Thanks, I'll take a look

05-16-2012 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Um, maybe!

I touched the wiki again recently, but all I did was make some templates for units and add some stuff about humans. Didn't have it in me to compile a list of all the data and port it over at the time.

05-17-2012 at 12:25 AM
Radiant
I could auto-generate some lists, depending on what you need.

05-17-2012 at 01:01 AM
Danjen02
Just data, really. Stuff like descriptions, unit stats, names, that kind of stuff.

05-17-2012 at 01:16 AM
Radiant

File: UnitList.htm (5.9 KB)
Downloaded 83 times.
How about we try and move the existing pages to the StrategyWiki first? We can add on new things later.

I've also got this spell list and this partial units list that may be useful.

[Last edited by Radiant at 05-27-2012 11:41 PM]
05-27-2012 at 11:40 PM
anonymous coward
Uh, an issue that has existed for a while: Polymorph doesn't work on your own units like it says in the description text. If that was a balance decision I have to wonder why bother with the spell.
06-13-2012 at 03:12 AM
grobblewobble
Hello, long time no see..

In answer to above (why bother?), Polymorph is one of the strongest negative spells to cast on an attacking offensive army. Polymorph generally downgrades units IIRC (transforms them into units of lower upkeep), so casting this on, say, an army of 5 elite knights and a paladin will leave your opponent with something like an ornithopter, a berserker, a stargazer, a healer, a javelineer and a snowbringer, in short: random junk.

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 06-13-2012 02:31 PM]
06-13-2012 at 02:25 PM
Radiant
anonymous coward wrote:
Uh, an issue that has existed for a while: Polymorph doesn't work on your own units like it says in the description text. If that was a balance decision I have to wonder why bother with the spell.

It was a flavor decision; it prevents you from taking a stack of your own crappy units and hoping that something useful comes out, which doesn't fit the degenerative flavor of Chaos magic. Against enemies, as Grobble points out, it is seriously effective.

06-13-2012 at 02:31 PM
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I've been playing around with different Theria alliances, and I found an interesting bug. You don't have the Tesseract Chamber available in the alliance tech tree, but you can build Doppelgangers anyway. This bug is fairly repeatable; sometimes after building a Planar Rift, the Doppelganger appears on your "Build" screen.

Click here to view the secret text

06-13-2012 at 05:41 PM
anonymous coward
Radiant wrote:
It was a flavor decision; it prevents you from taking a stack of your own crappy units and hoping that something useful comes out, which doesn't fit the degenerative flavor of Chaos magic. Against enemies, as Grobble points out, it is seriously effective.

I guess that makes a bit of sense if you actually do see enemy stacks of units that are threatening AND well coordinated AND you manage to research an endgame chaos spell AND you have the mana to cast it before they move AND you screwed up strategically somehow to the point that you can't soften them up with artillery, or plague, or traps, or adequately-effective cannon-fodder, or something else cheaper instead, but that's a lot of ANDs. It would mostly be useful in the case of trying to break a set of enemy defenders and there's so much better ways to do that I've found.

With past versions I mostly found Polymorph useful for taking stacks of ogres and making interesting things out of them, and rarely have trouble throwing enough rabble and slingers at enemy forces to make the offensive purpose of Polymorph worthwhile. Of course my method of running goblins tends to have very little standing forces and mostly a lot of tribes and economy units ready to pump out cannon fodder on demand anywhere (and everywhere) but I guess this was not the design intent?
06-14-2012 at 02:10 AM
Radiant
anonymous coward wrote: Of course my method of running goblins tends to have very little standing forces and mostly a lot of tribes and economy units ready to pump out cannon fodder on demand anywhere (and everywhere) but I guess this was not the design intent?

Cannon fodder is certainly a fitting strategy for goblins. Perhaps the polymorph spell fits better with other races?

06-14-2012 at 09:54 AM
grobblewobble
anonymous coward wrote:
I guess that makes a bit of sense if you actually do see enemy stacks of units that are threatening AND well coordinated AND you manage to research an endgame chaos spell AND you have the mana to cast it before they move AND you screwed up strategically somehow to the point that you can't soften them up with artillery, or plague, or traps, or adequately-effective cannon-fodder, or something else cheaper instead, but that's a lot of ANDs.

I think the problem is that the AI doesn't tend to make well coordinated attacks. Against a human opponent, if you reach the endgame, these conditions are not at all unlikely.

By the endgame, you will quite likely produce enough mana to cast the spell instantly, so casting it before the attack is not that difficult. (Especially if you play theria or regency.)
At the same time, a human opponent can very well launch an attack in the endgame that is hard to stop with any of the methods you mentioned. For example, a group of 3 mighty dragonslayers, 1 chanter, 1 runecaster, 1 hero with tactics + siegecraft + detection + eagle eye and plenty of caravans. Hard to stop that with a trap (will be detected and cleared by a suicide scout), plague (will be healed), or some cannon fodder (will be crushed). But if you manage to polymorph an army like that, your opponent will be crying. That's almost like casting Reaper's Touch on all his units at once.

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 06-14-2012 12:05 PM]
06-14-2012 at 11:55 AM
anonymous coward
grobblewobble wrote:
I think the problem is that the AI doesn't tend to make well coordinated attacks. Against a human opponent, if you reach the endgame, these conditions are not at all unlikely.

By the endgame, you will quite likely produce enough mana to cast the spell instantly, so casting it before the attack is not that difficult. (Especially if you play theria or regency.)
At the same time, a human opponent can very well launch an attack in the endgame that is hard to stop with any of the methods you mentioned. For example, a group of 3 mighty dragonslayers, 1 chanter, 1 runecaster, 1 hero with tactics + siegecraft + detection + eagle eye and plenty of caravans. Hard to stop that with a trap (will be detected and cleared by a suicide scout), plague (will be healed), or some cannon fodder (will be crushed). But if you manage to polymorph an army like that, your opponent will be crying. That's almost like casting Reaper's Touch on all his units at once.

You're right that is a tricky situation, but I would tend to work against an attack like that by sending out runners (augmented by Chimeric Horde) to take out their scouts, use slingers and rabble to take out their support forces and supply caravans, and then surround them with crunchy problems like traps, clawed furries and tangle vines. Is that cheaper than casting polymorph to blunt the spearhead? Hmmm, probably not.

On the other hand Goblins die quickly and totally to meteor storm anyway so the question of what to do against a human opponent is moot. They can't even use call the void unless they're well established in the center of the map and nobody else is.
06-14-2012 at 10:01 PM
grobblewobble
anonymous coward wrote: Goblins die quickly and totally to meteor storm

Ouch.. yes they do. :|
06-15-2012 at 02:23 PM
Mahasuchi

File: screen1.png (2.1 MB)
Downloaded 28 times.
I`ve been playing Leylines on my computer on Windows XP, had few technical issues with the game. Now my computer doesn`t work and I`ve tried running it on my mother`s computer and she has Windows 7. I`m not familiar with Windows 7 so I don`t know how to change the color values(such as lowering it to 16-bit from 32-bit). On the unit information windows, the icons for the ranged statistic don`t display as well as any melee attack value over 5. The armor value icons are displayed improperly too. On full screen, everything displays properly but part of the window appears on the top right of the screen and the whole window flashes when I'm viewing units, naming cities and confirming my selections for race. Any tips on optimizing Windows7 to run Leylines better? I've been a big fan of the game ever since I've figured out how to run it properly on my own computer several years ago.

[Last edited by Mahasuchi at 12-29-2012 01:36 AM]
12-29-2012 at 01:35 AM
The Mystic
Mahasuchi wrote:
On the unit information windows, the icons for the ranged statistic don`t display as well as any melee attack value over 5. The armor value icons are displayed improperly too.
Yeah, several graphics in general don't display properly in windowed mode. It's a bug that hasn't been totally worked out yet, as far as I know.

Speaking of bugs:

- Elementals, when placed in a city, seem to raise the city's morale.
- Buildings that increase a city's sight radius to 3 tiles are supposed to also increase the supply radius to 3 tiles. However, the supply radius ends up reduced to something like 1.5 tiles.
- Terrain-altering units (Druids, Lumberjacks, etc.) have a bizarre effect when combined with Seismic Reorganizer. When such a unit is altering terrain, you can use Seismic Reorganizer to switch the terrain being altered. In doing this, you can alter any type of terrain that can be switched by Seismic Reorganizer; so for example, you can have a mountain turned into plains, or a desert turned into a swamp. This also has a similar effect with units that create roads/moonpaths.
- Leylines will crash for no apparent reason, though I've been given a possible suggestion as to why. I got my father (an old COBOL programmer) hooked on Leylines, and he plays quite frequently; he says the problem might me some kind of out-of-bounds error with the Call the Void spell.

The first 3 bugs are repeatable, and I can provide sample games on request.

04-17-2013 at 04:02 PM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
- Elementals, when placed in a city, seem to raise the city's morale.
All militant units do that.

- Buildings that increase a city's sight radius to 3 tiles are supposed to also increase the supply radius to 3 tiles.
No, they aren't. The building description makes that clear.

- Terrain-altering units (Druids, Lumberjacks, etc.) have a bizarre effect when combined with Seismic Reorganizer.
That's a good catch!

04-17-2013 at 05:09 PM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote: - Elementals, when placed in a city, seem to raise the city's morale.
All militant units do that.
Odd. I've never seen that effect, except with elementals; and they seem to cause morale to remain high indefinitely, especially in my built cities.

Whenever I've put an elemental in a conquered city, I've seen morale jump from "dissatisfied" to "worship" in as little as one turn; with any other militant unit, it seems like the morale takes a nose dive almost as quickly. According to the in-game text, morale isn't supposed to go down unless the city contains more than 3 militant units; I've seen the presence of a swordfighter in a conquered city take the morale down from "content" to "despise" in one turn.
- Buildings that increase a city's sight radius to 3 tiles are supposed to also increase the supply radius to 3 tiles.
No, they aren't. The building description makes that clear.
*double checks the description*
You're right, but it's still doing something funky with the supply radius.

- Terrain-altering units (Druids, Lumberjacks, etc.) have a bizarre effect when combined with Seismic Reorganizer.
That's a good catch!
Thanks, I thought you'd definitely want to know about that one. I also found that if you can have a Floral Clock as well, you can do some serious terraforming. In the past, I've created huge regions of jungle, forest, or plains, depending on what I needed at the time.

Speaking of the Floral Clock, is it supposed to affect desert and tundra? They're not listed as mutable, but it will alter them anyway.

04-19-2013 at 05:55 AM
Celtic Minstrel
Rank Points: 12
icon Re: Leylines: the revival thread (+1)  
Finally got around to trying this a little. I find the controls a little awkward (are there no keyboard shortcuts?), but on the whole it seems reasonably interesting. I think there's some graphics glitches though (might be the fault of WINE or windowed mode).

I have a screenshot if you'd like to see, but the forum won't let me post it.
07-23-2013 at 07:29 PM
Danjen02
You can always host the file offsite and link to it, I think. Imgur or Sadpanda, for example.

If I recall correctly, you can press the first letter of any button as a hotkey. A button that says "Build" would have a hotkey of B.

07-23-2013 at 07:58 PM
Celtic Minstrel
icon Re: Leylines: the revival thread (+1)  
Okay, that's useful to know... and hosting offsite is what I did, it wouldn't allow me to post even a link to it.
07-23-2013 at 08:04 PM
Radiant
Works fine for me...
http://dite.hu/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/my_phoenix.jpg

[Last edited by Radiant at 07-25-2013 08:49 AM]
07-24-2013 at 11:33 PM
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Okay, that's useful to know... and hosting offsite is what I did, it wouldn't allow me to post even a link to it.
If I've done it correctly you should be able to do it now. Please don't spam though. :)

[Last edited by Tim at 07-25-2013 02:15 AM]
07-25-2013 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Celtic Minstrel
Thanks. I'm aware it's for spam protection. :)

Running WINE 1.4.1 on MacOS 10.7.5. I could check if there's a WINE update, though I do update it at periodic intervals...
07-25-2013 at 06:22 AM
Radiant
That's really odd, the ranged/armor icons should be placed with the exact same code as every other icon...

07-26-2013 at 01:40 PM
Radiant

File: ley_oldvnew.PNG (562.8 KB)
Downloaded 255 times.
Note that Leylines is currently undergoing a (slow) graphical redesign. Just compare the following pictures,

[Last edited by Radiant at 07-30-2013 04:46 PM]
07-30-2013 at 04:45 PM
<<9101112
Page 13 of 15
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com