Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Dinfro Budkin's Wine Cellar (Mixed)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.8/10 (22 votes)
σ 1.65
Author Name:Mark
Submitted By:krammer
Hold Name:Dinfro Budkin\'s Wine Cellar
Theme:Mixed
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:15
Number of Monsters:363
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: winecellarv24.hold (7.8 KB)
Downloaded 3103 times.
License: Other
icon Dinfro Budkin's Wine Cellar  
This was as much an experiment into what I could come up with as anything else, as it was designed when the editor was almost brand new. Be warned that this hold does require some fairly long sessions of hack-and-slash, and not many puzzles, but enough to hopefully keep interest.
12-05-2003 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Dinfro Budkin's Wine Cellar (0)  
Yes, this hold is mostly easy...there are some rooms which require more thought or skill, such as Top Floor, 1W and 1S, and Third Floor, 1N and 1W. Those two rooms on the Third Floor actually killed me many more times than I should be comfortable admitting. :|

But I wasn't bored while playing it, so therefore it was fun and worth recommending others to play.

By the way, krammer, I assume that nothing changed from version 2.2 on the Architecture forum, for those who already have that version?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-05-2003 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
pretty good hold
most of the solutions were fairly obvious
but doing them was a different story
some good uses of efficiency
12-25-2003 at 07:15 AM
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
Bug report: If you leave the entrance in the top floor without solving it, you cannot solve it.

[Edited by eytanz on 01-23-2004 at 03:11 PM GMT]

01-23-2004 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Ah, this is true... sorry.

It seems so obvious to me that it has to be solved from there I never thought of it. Not that that means it shouldn't be changed. If we ever get the chance to update holds posted here I'll add some green doors to solve that, thanks Eytan.

"Oook!"
01-23-2004 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nykkel
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: Dinfro Budkin's Wine Cellar (+2)  
I really enjoyed "1st Floor: One South", though there have been a couple of other very enjoyable rooms so far as well. Several rooms have that "Oops, I screwed up, but it was my own fault, and I know I'll get farther on it this time" feel to them, where you look up and you've spent 30 minutes on the room without realizing it. :)

Thank you for giving multiple checkpoints in some of the rooms. There have been a couple that would have been way too frustrating if I'd had to go all the way back to the beginning each time I died. ;) *mutters something about crisscrossing corridors filled with tar*
05-25-2004 at 08:45 AM
Nykkel
If I foolishly ran out of "Second Floor: The Entrance" and did the other rooms first (er, hypothetically speaking, of course ;) ), is it actually possible to clear 2nd:Entrance by entering from its only doorway? If it is, it seems to be beyond my abilities. Not that this is saying much, really.
05-26-2004 at 02:38 AM
krammer
Erm - well, I never tried it before, but after much experimentation I believe it's not possible. I think you may need to restore back to that room, sorry if you've completed others on that level - never mind, I'm sure you'll love doing 1W a second time... :D

"Oook!"
05-26-2004 at 11:54 AM
Nykkel
Urk, that means I have to go through Tar World again. :)

Went back to the main DROD dungeon for a bit, picked up where I left off on floor 14, learned a bit more about Goblins. Am now on floor 15, and will come back to Tar World when I get frustrated in the main dungeon.
05-26-2004 at 11:15 PM
krammer
icon Re: Dinfro Budkin's Wine Cellar (+1)  
Update - please download this version of the hold if you've never played it before as it has a coupla bugfixes in it. The other thread is superfluous and will hopefully be soon removed...

"Oook!"
05-27-2004 at 08:48 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I just played this... I really wish 3rd floor 1N had a checkpoint in that upper tar somewhere...

Anyway, fairly short and easy and enjoyable, I have no other complaints. Was nice to play something short and sweet.

06-11-2004 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Pretty good. Some reasonably good rooms. A little mindless slashing too.
05-20-2005 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
A nice, short, enjoyable hold. While some of the puzzles were highly hack and slash, there was also a great deal of thought involved in most of them. Highly worthwhile playthrough.
05-23-2005 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
This hold was pretty fun and fairly easy. I didn't care for Top Floor: 1S all that much, and I'd say it was definitely the hardest room in the hold. The rest I enjoyed but didn't find too challenging.

I give the hold a 7 and 4 brains of difficulty.

Josh

02-12-2007 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JakeErza
Rank Points: 10
admin wrote:
This was as much an experiment into what I could come up with as anything else, as it was designed when the editor was almost brand new. Be warned that this hold does require some fairly long sessions of hack-and-slash, and not many puzzles, but enough to hopefully keep interest.

How glorious! :thumbsup

03-10-2021 at 06:25 PM
melvin
Rank Points: 34
Actually pretty enjoyable considering its age! Definitely has a few rooms that are more of a chore though.

Click here to view the secret text

12-12-2021 at 01:45 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Dinfro Budkin's Wine Cellar (Mixed) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com