Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: beta testing (Fantasy turn-based strategy game)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Leylines: beta testing (0)  

Leylines

Now available for beta testing. The new version is freeware, and contains eight races (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin, S'Sirthe, Theria, Regency, and Alliance) and lots of new spells, heroes, portraits and other goodness.

http://crystalshard.net/dls/leylines.zip - THIS IS A BETA VERSION.

Please post comments and bug reports in this thread, preferably with a saved game attached. A Linux version is pending, and we're looking into the possibility of network support.

[Last edited by Radiant at 11-27-2007 11:40 PM]
09-24-2007 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wwhitney
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Leylines: beta testing (0)  
Radiant wrote:
A Linux version is pending
Looking forward to it--I tried the Windows version under VMWare, but the screen flashes at a couple Hz due to some bad screen refresh interaction.

Cheers, Wayne

09-24-2007 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Okay, I have no clue whether this will actually work considering I can't get SDL (or Gnome) to recognize my display driver atm, but it compiles flawlessly:

http://crystalshard.net/dls/leylinux.zip

Compiled under Debian. This is only the executable; you'd need to grab the data file from http://crystalshard.net/dls/leylines.zip and stick that in a directory called "Data". Please let me know how it works out for you. If it doesn't, if there's a file named "Data/error.txt", please pass it along.

09-25-2007 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wwhitney
Radiant wrote:
http://crystalshard.net/dls/leylinux.zip

Please let me know how it works out for you. If it doesn't, if there's a file named "Data/error.txt", please pass it along.
It segfaults without writing an error.txt. I ran it under gdb, with which I am only rudimentarily familiar, and it printed this:

Starting program: /home/whitney/leylines/Leylines Leylines
warning: Lowest section in system-supplied DSO at 0xffffe000 is .hash at ffffe0b4
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 4158826704 (LWP 4021)]
[New Thread 4155751312 (LWP 4024)]
[New Thread 4145105808 (LWP 4025)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 4158826704 (LWP 4021)]
0x080a42f7 in CPanelView::Init ()

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. What is your video card?

09-25-2007 at 01:08 AM
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
A few things:

*** Tutorial
* When describing the "Fletcher"
- typo: "townes"

*** Tutorial
* The panel which begins "Finished buildings are listed on the screen"
- Panel blocks description view
- Can't access the close button
- Clicking the screen edge does close the window though

*** Tutorial
* Interface
- How about a "back" button?

*** Quickstart
* Select Race Screen
- Human and Elf buttons aren't completely selectable

*** Quickstart
* Magic Sphere Selection
- Not intuitive (Click "Body", "Body", "Body" then "Body", "Mind", "Chaos"). Spheres mix oddly...

*** Ingame
* Next unit
- Clicking this will split a group of units if one of them can still move. This is surely wrong.

*** Ingame
* News reports
- Had 2 cities finish building a pikeman in the same week.
- Hit "View" on the first news report.
- Ungarisson the pikeman and move him.
- Second news report (for the other city) doesn't appear so would have missed the other pikeman.

---

That's it for now.
09-25-2007 at 01:52 PM
Radiant
wwhitney wrote:
It segfaults without writing an error.txt.
Hm, that's unexpected.

Something by NVidia. I'm not sure which one exactly since I got it second-handed from a friend. Under windows it has no problems with e.g. 1024x768, but under Linux/Gnome it defaults to 800x600 and won't go higher.

Thanks for the bug reports. Oh, and "towne" is not a typo.

[Last edited by Radiant at 09-25-2007 05:55 PM]
09-25-2007 at 05:44 PM
wwhitney
wwhitney wrote:
It segfaults without writing an error.txt.
Radiant wrote:
Hm, that's unexpected.
Here's the output of "ldd Leylines" on my system, in case it is some sort of library mismatch between your Debian and my Fedora Core 7. I was able to run the previous Linux version of Leylines without difficulty.

[whitney@pizza leylines]$ ldd Leylines
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
libSDL-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 (0xf7f51000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x007bd000)
libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0 (0xf7ee5000)
libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0xf7e2c000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x00792000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x0095b000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00635000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x0078b000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00616000)
wwhitney wrote:
Radiant wrote:
Something by NVidia.
Well, if you are interested in pursuing it further, perhaps the information at http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers would help.

Cheers, Wayne

09-25-2007 at 10:45 PM
wwhitney
Well, I got Leylines.exe to under Wine, although the sound is not working. A few initial comments:

As Dwarves, the Conscript button says it will give you a Warrior, but you get a Miner.

I like the new symbols for the unit stats, but it would be nice to see a number as well as the symbols. Once you get beyond five symbols, it's annoying to count them up.

What happened to the option about other players going on their own turn? I find it very confusing when I hit end turn and am shown my first unit to move but then the screen shifts to a battle in some unknown location.

Thanks for the update, looks great so far!
09-26-2007 at 04:07 AM
wwhitney
Oh, one other comment, from my play of the previous version. I find it odd that unit damage from terrain extreme temperature is assessed at the beginning of each turn. This means that if a unit moves into an extreme terrain and out of it within one turn, then they take the damage once. But if they move into it as their last move, then they take the damage twice. That strikes me as asymmetrical.

Cheers, Wayne
09-26-2007 at 04:48 PM
Radiant
But if they move into it as their last move, then they take the damage twice. That strikes me as asymmetrical.
If I recall correctly, they take damage at the end of the turn, if they hadn't taken the damage yet during that turn. If that is not the case, it would be a bug.

09-26-2007 at 08:39 PM
wwhitney
Radiant wrote:
If I recall correctly, they take damage at the end of the turn, if they hadn't taken the damage yet during that turn. If that is not the case, it would be a bug.
As far as I can tell, the current behavior is that they take damage damage at the end of the turn regardless.

Wayne

09-26-2007 at 09:30 PM
wwhitney

File: Wayne4.ley (25.1 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's a save game where when I hit "End Turn", the interturn graphic displays forever, I never get to the next turn. This used to happen in the previous version, too.

Cheers, Wayne
09-29-2007 at 12:44 AM
wwhitney

File: Wayne6.ley (19.9 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Here's another bug. In the attached save file, there is only one unit (a Trailblazer) that hasn't moved. Next to it is another unit, a Trailblazer, shown in black. It appears to be assigned to a defeated wizard. This black Trailblazer used to be my Trailblazer, but somehow I lost it. If I enter into combat against the black Trailblazer, the game says "Waiting for other Wizard" forever, I never get to do anything.

Cheers, Wayne

09-29-2007 at 09:12 PM
wwhitney
Question about the game--something I never figured out from the previous version. Is it possible to sell or destroy a city enhancement that you've built? Or in a city you've taken over?

Also one possible bug--on two occasions I've taken over a Regency city from the Raiders, when I'm not playing Regency, but a few turns later it produces a Colonist unit. Is this supposed to happen? Then if I build a city with the Colonist unit, it is a normal Regency city that I can build things in.

Thanks, Wayne

10-03-2007 at 02:53 AM
Radiant
wwhitney wrote:
Question about the game--something I never figured out from the previous version. Is it possible to sell or destroy a city enhancement that you've built? Or in a city you've taken over?
Sell? No, because I figured it doesn't make sense to make money from wrecking buildings. Destroy? Yes, there's a button for that in the city menu.

Also one possible bug--on two occasions I've taken over a Regency city from the Raiders, when I'm not playing Regency, but a few turns later it produces a Colonist unit.
No, that's not supposed to happen. Do you have a saved game with that city in it? Does it happen with any other races?
Hm, I think I know what's causing this, I'll take a look.

10-03-2007 at 09:14 AM
Vreejack
Isn't the Mend spell supposed to cure plague? I tried it twice on one of my scouts but he kept the plague icon. He was camping a leyline at the time.

I figure I was probably just doing something wrong.

10-05-2007 at 07:15 PM
Lark

File: 6.ley (28.8 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Also one possible bug--on two occasions I've taken over a Regency city from the Raiders, when I'm not playing Regency, but a few turns later it produces a Colonist unit.

No, that's not supposed to happen. Do you have a saved game with that city in it? Does it happen with any other races?

It's (one turn after) the event that gives you a "natural" unit. (I forget the exact wording.) It can happen with any race for which you have a low-level (no buildings that make other units) city. I never tried to colonize and then build up such a secondary city, though; that sounds useful, if a bit roundabout.

I am attaching a save that freezes up in Windows when I end the turn.
I also have several pages of notes from playing this, which I'll try and post as an attachment in a few days. (Right now it's on paper and not organized. And BtS just got patched, so I'll be back playing Civ.)
Was there any particular type of comment you were looking for? Bugs, interface, gameplay, ... ?? -or everything?

Edit: I thought I was attaching a file. Let's try again.

[Last edited by Lark at 10-06-2007 03:10 AM]
10-06-2007 at 03:09 AM
Vreejack
Is there any explanation of how Regency works? I cannot find a description of it anywhere.

One of the really fun things in MoM was taking over independent villages from other races and incorporating them into your empire. I was disappointed that I could not build anything in them in LL.

10-06-2007 at 01:57 PM
Vreejack
Had a bug, but could not repeat it from the save game.

In my current game the units window on the build screen was consistently misplaced to the south a little bit so that most of the build choices were hidden. The "buildings" window was fine; it was only the "units" window that was misplaced. The hidden choices could be found using the keyboard but not with the mouse. This problem persisted until I restarted the game. The savegame appears clean, but if the problem returns I'll forward the file.
10-06-2007 at 03:04 PM
wwhitney
Vreejack wrote:
In my current game the units window on the build screen was consistently misplaced to the south a little bit so that most of the build choices were hidden. The "buildings" window was fine; it was only the "units" window that was misplaced. The hidden choices could be found using the keyboard but not with the mouse.
I've seen the same thing repeatedly, although I find that if I just click with the mouse where I know the unit name should be, I can select the unit.

Cheers, Wayne
10-06-2007 at 04:12 PM
DaviddesJ
I tried running the beta, and it didn't just crash, it crashed (rebooted) my whole system. I didn't get an error.txt file, either.

Before rebooting my system, it displays a light blue screen with lots of white text on it for about half a second, way too little time for me to read it.

Windows XP
GeForce 7800GT
Dell 3007WFP 2560x1600

[Last edited by DaviddesJ at 10-09-2007 08:44 AM]
10-09-2007 at 08:38 AM
Radiant
DaviddesJ wrote:
I tried running the beta, and it didn't just crash, it crashed (rebooted) my whole system. I didn't get an error.txt file, either.
That is, well, odd...

I would suggest running DXDIAG to find out if everything is in order with your DirectX setup.

As to everybody else's bug reports, thanks for the help, and I'm working on an updated version.

10-09-2007 at 09:45 AM
wwhitney
Is the Alliance race option in the game supposed to be working? When I tried playing an alliance of Elves and Regency, and went to a city and hit the "Tech Tree" button, the game crashed. No error.txt.

Cheers, Wayne
10-09-2007 at 05:03 PM
wwhitney
Radiant wrote:
Sell? No, because I figured it doesn't make sense to make money from wrecking buildings. Destroy? Yes, there's a button for that in the city menu.
Hmm, I find that sometimes when I hover the mouse over the name of a completed building in the city screen the tooltip at the bottom of the screen says I can destroy the building by left-clicking on it (or right-clicking), but other times it just says to click for info. What controls whether or not I can destroy a building this way?

Thanks, Wayne

10-09-2007 at 11:55 PM
wwhitney

File: Wayne1.ley (22.6 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Here's another save game where when I hit "End Turn", the interturn graphic displays forever, I never get to the next turn.

Cheers, Wayne

10-10-2007 at 12:44 AM
DaviddesJ
No problems in DXDIAG. All other DirectX games work fine for me.
10-10-2007 at 10:07 AM
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
sounds alot like my favorite game, Heroes Of Might and MagicIII (HOMM3)so it should be good...right? :huh

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
10-11-2007 at 06:44 AM
Les-ha

File: _Autosave_.ley (22.5 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.

Keyword - lumberjack. His prod points aren't blocked.

2. Hanging. May be, the same, wwhitney speak about, but at my turn. Look at attachment, atack orange city in the left with astral rangers, (use stack from your city too), hanging at battle screen.

3. Mercenaries keep part of money while rejecting offer.

10-11-2007 at 08:30 PM
Les-ha
bugs
- then carrier redirected, but it's load not, "can't go where" on end turn
- survey accepts city on frozen lake
- raid for slaves not affect city happines
suggestions
-- make snowdrops on\off option, it's hard for eyes
-- allow sell (or raze) buildings
-micromanagement reducing
-- spells queue
-- allow direct units in unexplored
-balance
both astral rangers and portal in one hands - to fat for elves! Other nations needs fast travel option too, why not to make "portal monolith"?

P.S. Anyway, Great work! Certainly, leylines inherited MoM's charisma!
10-12-2007 at 02:27 PM
Timlagor

File: Healing Problem.ley (27.9 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
"Mending" doesn't remove Plague (but says it does). Attached file has a problem with my Herbalist. Ussing the Healing ability usually crashes it (crashing Windows and sometimes causing a Registry Error as well!).

Plenty of descriptive errors in the spells
* Everything that changes a land type seems to be wrong in some fashion (Druids are wrong about what Forest produces, Gaea's Blessing seems to refer to a bunch of terrains that don't exist)
* Mending flasely claims to remove Plague

There are also a lot of questions unanswered in the "manual" (and not covered by the tutorial).
* What do the magic spheres do?
* How do land stats contribute to city stats? (I *think* all the land within two squares matters somehow but I couldn't swear to it)
* How do the combat calculations work? (obviously more little swords will help but how much?) ...I reckon most people who want a turn-based game prefer to know the mechanics.

- I'd really like to be able to see how many hearts each unit has easily -the curved bars just aren't clear enough for me.
- wouldn't it be great if I could see those bars (and other symbols) in the main map?
- Sight range should be increased imo. Vision should be limitted but wandering around so blindly is a bit much
- Conquered cities should be much more useful -there's very little reason not to raze them that I can see ..though performing lots of Rituals for mana seemed nice (and shouldn't it be possible to pillage them for some dosh?)
- I feel that land-transformation effects should be unambiguously helpful ...or course I don't actually know what the effects are so it's hard to tell.

Anyone else think making your heroes into laborer-researchers and leaving them in your cities to train seems the best strategy?

[I know I had more...]

[Last edited by Timlagor at 10-15-2007 11:16 AM]
10-15-2007 at 11:15 AM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: beta testing (Fantasy turn-based strategy game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com