Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Flibbit's Flourish (Flibbit's 3-level masterwork. Well, he says so, anyway.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (39 votes)
σ 1.14
Author Name:McFig
Submitted By:McFig
Hold Name:Flibbit's Flourish
Theme:Flibbit's 3-level masterwork. Well, he says so, anyway.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:35
Number of Monsters:1491
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:17 (+17 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Flibbits Flourish.hold (26.5 KB)
Downloaded 1530 times.
License: Other
icon Flibbit's Flourish  

02-08-2007 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
icon Re: Flibbit's Flourish (0)  
Oh yeah! Another hold. I'll be sure to check this out right away! :D
02-08-2007 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Flibbit's Flourish (+1)  
Since I'm not good at writing reviews, I'll just keep this brief (perhaps I can add things later).

I voted 6.5 difficulty and 9 overall. Writing is excellent.

Well worth playing if you like holds of intermediate difficulty. :)

[Last edited by Tim at 02-08-2007 12:58 AM]
02-08-2007 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
christine83
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
Mastered it.

Very nice story in this hold, I loved to read the scrolls. Some rooms had me come back to them later, but all are doable for me.

Though there are some tedious and repetitive rooms i feel it was a lot but not too much of it. Shouldn't have been more either.. :)

#1 Fan!
Click here to view the secret text

02-08-2007 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
A really cool hold, and an excellent difficulty. Not too hard, but not too easy. Brilliant!

I gave it a 9 with 7 brains.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup

02-08-2007 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
This is definitely one of the best "first holds" that I've seen. I definitely look forward to more holds from you, McFig.

The character of Flibbit is a good character--very arrogant at first, and becoming more humble as you progress. I'd like to see more of him.

I'd say difficulty 5.5, fun 8. It would have been a 7, but since this is a first hold, it's getting a 1 point boost from me.

02-08-2007 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I wanted to say just about everything zex said, except that he already said it.

In general, I'm psyched to see all the new holds coming out...we've had, what, five new holds in the past week or two, and they've all been very good ones...with two from previously 'unpublished' architects.

I gave this hold an 8, and 6 brains of difficulty.

Great puzzles -- two rooms gave me real trouble, one because it was just plain hard, and one because I did it the hard way.

Looking forward to the next one!

Josh

02-08-2007 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
McFig
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
Q: Is the hints system working for you on this hold?
It doesn't for me. (I've posted details here.)

Yep, it's working now.

[Last edited by McFig at 02-09-2007 04:41 PM]
02-08-2007 at 08:32 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Excelllent, really excellent. Loved the Flibbit character, enjoyed the evilness (of note: nearly any room with a bomb in it, in particular EoG:1N and 2W, and RA: 1N3E).
02-11-2007 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
SUPER hold!

All of the rooms were well designed and fun. Then having the fun storyline was fantastic. Whereas some holds tend to get boring, the storyline made this hold very fun to progress through.

Do we have a clapping smiley anywhere?
02-14-2007 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Great hold - but it reminds me why I don't optimize most of the time.

(Hint: it has something to do with seeing all those #1's expiring shortly after getting them... :lol)

np: Death Cab For Cutie - Lightness (Transatlanticism)

02-14-2007 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Mastered!

Awesome first hold McFig! Better than at least 60% of the holds out there! 8 for fun and 6 brains.
02-15-2007 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Ezlo wrote:
Mastered!

Awesome first hold McFig! Better than at least 60% of the holds out there! 8 for fun and 6 brains.
Yes, I really agree. However, I don't agree with the rating. I gave it a 9 and 5.5 brains. I am really looking forward to your next hold! Try going for 'best second hold ever'. :P
02-15-2007 at 08:54 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I gave this hold 6 brains (a few nasty rooms) and 8.5 overall, plus my personal "plot that actually mostly works in DROD" award.

I'm a plot-hater as far as DROD holds go, but this hold actually worked well in my opinion. I would have liked more comments from the architect about the rooms perhaps, but that's just me (remember, HIJK is my favourite hold ever as far as plot goes).

As far as the actual puzzles go, I loved the first level, mostly enjoyed the second one, but I felt that the third one was a letdown. Still, definitely a solid hold... and I'm still grumbling about Evidence of Genius: 1S.
04-07-2007 at 04:25 PM
jmpava
Rank Points: 41
icon Re: Flibbit's Flourish (+2)  
Very nice. Saw the comments on this one today and figured I'd try it out as a break to some rather aggravating TCB rooms. Glad I did!

Gave it 5.5 brains, 8 overall. I pretty much agree with whats been said before - I thought the presented character profile was quite nice and entertaining. I particularly liked how you could see the personality in the layouts of the rooms along with just the comments on the scrolls - the over-designed rooms that paid too much attention to looking 'supreme' and then missed little back-doors here and there. I tend to like story-focused holds, but often the rooms themselves in them seem tacked on and only really there because, hey, there has to be random puzzle rooms in DROD, right? The fact that the rooms actually matched up and helped show off the character and were really part of the story itself was a really nice bonus.

I also really liked that BECAUSE these were 'perfect' rooms, there were generally very specific 'oversights' that you needed to exploit in order to get through, which again really contributed to the overall theme, IMO. Even with the horde rooms. Gameplay matching the story, who knew :lol

Btw: In that regard, the last section felt... a bit of a let down. I continued to enjoy the scrolls, and a couple of the rooms also had some neat things you had to do, but it kinda felt like the rooms just petered out at that point. At the very least, since they were no longer rooms that the main character had 'designed', they no longer exhibited his flaws - which, as I think I've mentioned about 4 times now, is something I thought really made the rest of the hold shine. Just a small 'complaint' to this (regardless) very enjoyable hold. Looking forward to more!

04-08-2007 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Nice hold! I give it 5 brains and 8 for overall rating. I seem to be missing one secret in the last level, though.
Click here to view the secret text

Edit: Thanks for the quick answers from noma and Kevin_P86!

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-25-2007 10:07 PM]
04-25-2007 at 08:52 AM
Danteslives
Rank Points: 48
icon Re: Flibbit's Flourish (+2)  
This hold was awesome! Being a lover of plot holds, I must say this was one of the best written, funniest holds out there. The puzzles had me thinking there for a bit but I was finally able to get through all of them without much trouble. I particularly liked most of evidence of genius including the standouts 2E and 1W, 2W and 3W. Regal Associations 4E was also very interesting. I agree that the last level could have used a little bit more work because it is considerably easier than the other levels, but I hope that this is not the last we see from you McFig. Ill give it 6 brains and 9 rating.
10-09-2007 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
It's like Arky rooms long before Arky rooms were a thing.

There's a lot of standard roach slashing, but the writing and room layouts definitely hold up.
01-15-2017 at 02:28 PM
tima
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
Great hold!
The scrolls/story were fun to read and had you waiting for the next ones.
The level design was very nice, and all the rooms felt interesting, fun and just the right difficulty - I needed to stop and think many times, but never to the point of being helplessly stuck.
I rated it 5.5 brains and 9 fun.
Thanks for making it!
05-23-2019 at 09:47 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
If people want to see what older puzzle design was like in a DROD space, I feel that this is a good hold to recommend to them.

I want to bring attention to how the architect showed consideration for the players in the way the horde rooms were handles. Many of the horde rooms had bombs that you could detonate once you've made enough progress. Once half the roach queens are dead it's usually trivial to clean up the rest, so the architect thoughtfully lets you skip the cleanup phase.

The writing in the hold is also really good. Flibbit is a great character.

12-11-2022 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Flibbit's Flourish (Flibbit's 3-level masterwork. Well, he says so, anyway.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com