Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : 2006 contest level set (Congrats Caterina, Henri and Stuart)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant!
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
IP: Logged
icon 2006 contest level set (+3)  
To start off the new year nicely, I've played and compiled all homebrew levels from 2005 and 2006. These are the results of last year's level design contest. Thanks everybody for the creativity!

http://www.crystalshard.net/zip/LEVELPAK.ZIP

First place: Caterina Castellani (Orange Bazooka)
Second place: Henri Kareinen (Round and Round)
Third place: Stuart Rynn (Separate Ways)

Honorary mentions
*Joshua Taylor (Wonderland)
*Darkmatt (Towers Of Eizan Berthot)
*Teh Kwakstur (Firewall)

01-01-2007 at 12:09 PM
View Profile Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
icon Re: 2006 contest level set (0)  
Bah, missed out on first place again... And I did really put a lot of effort into those later levels.
Guess I'll have to try really hard in this year's contest. There is a contest this year, isn't there?

Edit: Maybe you should post on the Spiderweb forums. And also don't you usually post explanations of why those particular levels made it?

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 01-01-2007 10:21 PM]
01-01-2007 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BainIhrno
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
The contest winners are just out of 2005, right? (Not that my levels would win anything either way, but still)

Anyway, congrats to all the winners and everyone else who made a level!

[Last edited by BainIhrno at 01-02-2007 01:27 AM]
01-02-2007 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Considering the topic title is "2006 contest level set" I'd say it was for both 2005 and 2006. And I've found levels from both years in there anyway.
01-02-2007 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant!
BainIhrno wrote:
The contest winners are just out of 2005, right? (Not that my levels would win anything either way, but still)
No, 2005-2006. I didn't do the judging last year because of time constraits, unfortunately.

The Stew Boy wrote:
Guess I'll have to try really hard in this year's contest. There is a contest this year, isn't there?
Yes.

Edit: Maybe you should post on the Spiderweb forums. And also don't you usually post explanations of why those particular levels made it?
Posted. Do I do that usually? Really? :) Well okay, here goes.

Orange Bazooka - A long-time contender, Caterina usually focuses on linear levels, but this one is more complex than that. The puzzle requires clever manipulation of laser beams to perform several different tasks.

Round 'n Round - A difficult choice out of several very good puzzles by Henri, this one is very innovative with the repeated maneuvering of simple objects.

Separate Ways - Good two-character levels are rare, and this is one. Controlling two characters forces the player to think outside the box, and the cloner is a nice touch for a hazard.

01-02-2007 at 05:32 PM
BainIhrno
For clarification, I knew there were levels from both, but (for some odd reason) I may have thought that the 06 levels weren't judged. I was wrong, I've seen some of the winners are 06 levels. How ignorant of me. :P

Well, I've just downloaded it. Looks like there's lots of new levels to play! Yay!
01-03-2007 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Rank Points: 18
I downloaded the new set, and congrats to the winners. I'm surprised by the overall variety of these levels in the set.

What shocks me even more is that all the levels I've posted so far are included in the set. Truth be told, a couple of mine were slapped together in about an hour's time. (And before anyone asks, yes, all my levels work; I did manage to test them before submitting.)

Click here to view the secret text

01-04-2007 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BainIhrno
Mystic, what name are your levels under?
01-04-2007 at 05:49 PM
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
When I try and select one of the level packs in-game, the name of the levelset just disappears... Anything I'm doing wrong? I put the .lvl files in the data directory...
01-04-2007 at 09:04 PM
Radiant!
You're not trying to use the SubTerra 1 levelsets with SubTerra 2, are you?

01-04-2007 at 09:52 PM
The Mystic
BainIhrno wrote:
Mystic, what name are your levels under?
All 6 of my submitted levels were included in the 2006 levelset, and are titled are as follows:
Roulette Wheel
Slider Puzzle
Thirty and Out
Trigger Happy Super Nasty
Either Way
Whether Vein

They're all listed under my username, so if you see "by The Mystic" when you play a level, it's one of mine.

01-04-2007 at 11:35 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Radiant! wrote:
You're not trying to use the SubTerra 1 levelsets with SubTerra 2, are you?
Maybe then... I d/l your link at the top of this thread and they do appear, just don't load. I'll try in ST1. Thanks :)
01-04-2007 at 11:58 PM
Radiant!
The Mystic wrote:
What shocks me even more is that all the levels I've posted so far are included in the set.

What can I say... sometimes simple elegance is best. A puzzle doesn't have to be big to be innovative (e.g. The Crushinator), nor to be difficult (e.g. Razzle Dazzle).

01-05-2007 at 08:40 AM
The Stew Boy
Or to be fun for that matter.
01-05-2007 at 09:02 AM
Pampaluna
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: 2006 contest level set (+1)  
I am ABSOLUTELY happy!!! Thank you Radiant and thanks to whoever judges the levels with you! I can't believe I've made it at last! Wow, this new year is starting SO WELL! Best compliments to Henri and Stuart as well! I've just downloaded the expansion pack, and guess what I'm going to do when I've finished this message?! I'm going to PLAY my BELOVED SUBTERRA!
Best wishes to everyone and thanks again, I am really HAPPY and PROUD!!!
Caterina

01-05-2007 at 11:15 PM
The Mystic
Radiant! wrote:
What can I say... sometimes simple elegance is best. A puzzle doesn't have to be big to be innovative (e.g. The Crushinator), nor to be difficult (e.g. Razzle Dazzle).
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I don't really care to design big levels anyway. I tend to lose track of what I'm doing on them quite easily, so don't expect to see too many of those from me. My personal preference is to try and design levels that look much harder than they actually are (e.g. Trigger Happy Super Nasty).

01-06-2007 at 05:10 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Yay! I can't believe that a level of mine got an honorable mention.

Although, about some of the other levels . . . I didn't check through my levels when I sent them. I just made sure they were complete, so I wasn't expecting them to be part of the contest pack.

So I had some crummy levels like They See You, and I also had levels with odd names, like 001 Rock.

Can you change the names of my levels, or will that be too difficult to do at this stage of development? I want "Skull Fortress Revamped" to be renamed "Skull Fortress", and I want "001 Rock" to be renamed "Rock Carrier".

And is it okay if you remove "They See You"? It's rather embarrassing to me that it's there. If you want, I have a more recent level to replace it with: Flostown. I think I mentioned that one in my post, but I didn't attatch it because I didn't want the newer levels of mine in that folder.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-07-2007 08:20 PM : Made shorter, confirmed facts]
01-07-2007 at 08:15 PM
Radiant!
Sure, I suppose. I'll rename them when I next upgrade the expansion pack. I don't recall having seen a level called Flostown, though.

01-07-2007 at 11:22 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385

File: Flostown.SUB (953 bytes)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
You haven't gotten the level because I haven't submitted it yet. I was purposely holding it until I made about 10 more levels to submit with it, but I might as well submit it here.

In terms of quality and size, Flostown is most easily comparable to my Masquerade and Firewall levels. They're all 1-screen speed-based levels that focus on one element in particular. These types of levels are all in one place on my computer, so I found this one easily. I might have some higher quality levels in a remote folder among my subfolder-within-subfolder-within-subfolder complex, but I think this is good enough. I just gotta get rid of They See You.

01-08-2007 at 12:29 AM
The Mystic
Radiant - While replaying my "Either Way" level, I found a slight design flaw that allowed two solutions; it's only supposed to have one solution. When you get the chance, could you replace it with this version? Thanks.

Edit: Removed post. The "fixed" version had the design flaw, not the original.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 03-18-2007 01:53 PM]
03-08-2007 at 03:42 PM
Darkmatt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
I'm surprised my year-old levels got featured in this year's contest. (Heck, even one of mine got an Honorable Mention.) Thank you Radiant.
03-09-2007 at 04:14 AM
The Mystic
The Mystic wrote:
While replaying my "Either Way" level, I found a slight design flaw that allowed two solutions; it's only supposed to have one solution.
In a word: Oops. :frusty

I went over the "Either Way" in the levelset, and the fixed version I submitted, with a proverbial fine-tooth comb. As it turns out, the original one in the levelset was fine; my so-called "fixed" version was flawed.

Sorry to drive you crazy, Radiant, but could you ignore my request to change the level, and just keep the original?

03-18-2007 at 01:50 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I just downloaded the pack, and it seems when the demos start playing, some levels appear more often than others. Is there a reason for this?

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 03-28-2007 10:24 PM]
03-28-2007 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Uh, never mind. I think that was just how it turned out at first.

-Noah

My stuff:

03-29-2007 at 04:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Radiant, if it isn't too late or too much trouble, could I submit a version of "Mover Survival" that takes up less space for the next time you upgrade the expansion pack? Currently it takes up more space than really necessary.

-Noah

My stuff:

03-29-2007 at 05:19 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : 2006 contest level set (Congrats Caterina, Henri and Stuart)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com