Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster Selections (Or rather 'How to qualify for making them.')
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
IP: Logged
icon Smitemaster Selections (0)  
Here's the topic Ezlo suggested. I don't know what I was talking about, but I think it was something to do with SmS.

11-16-2006 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
icon Re: Smitemaster Selections (0)  
Sorry, different approach. I was on one of my Holds topics, when tokyokid raised the topic of me possibly being able to create SmS. So what do you need to make them, and what are your views on the system?

11-16-2006 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
Perhaps This is what you're looking for, it sure will help you a lot.

11-16-2006 at 04:22 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
We were about to get into the off-canon/on-canon thing. I would like to see more off-canon holds personally. Or at least more holds that don't continue the story. Maybe some prequels or a some holds that happen before JTRH. But off-canon would be nice because then you get a new story that someone thought up themselves.

Here's an idea: Maybe every SmS has one on-canon story, and if there's one available, stick an off-canon one into it as well as a bonus feature lets say. Sort of like what's happening with the next SmS.
11-16-2006 at 04:32 PM
Pilchard VIII
Good idea. I mean Beethro and The Secret Society was off-canon, but none others were.

11-16-2006 at 04:37 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Good idea. I mean Beethro and The Secret Society was off-canon, but none others were.

Halph Has A Bad Day was also off-canon. I don't know the status of The Choice -- it certainly doesn't develop the story in any meaningful way, unless there's something interesting behind the master walls (haven't been there yet).

There just haven't been a lot of SMS holds yet. Four releases, five holds, two canon, two non-canon, one ambiguous.

But since eytanz has stated that non-canon holds are less likely to be accepted as SMS submissions, I'm willing to bet that's the way it is. Doesn't hurt to ask - eytanz isn't Erik or Mike, although he probably has more insight into what they're looking for than, say, I do.

11-16-2006 at 04:43 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1916
Regarding the canonical issue.

I created Perfection with no idea it'd be a SMS. It was named Perfection, but it had a very minimal story that had nothing to do with a Perfectionist society.

Erik is the master plot man. I'd suggest architects create whatever hold strikes them (canonical or not). The odds are that if the caravel team likes it they will change the story as needed.
11-16-2006 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
True - it's not the story itself, it's the inclusion of non-canonical elements that is problematic. Erik publicly stated that Halph will not be allowed in new SmS holds. I don't remember if he publicly stated that about the slayer, but given what I know about the story I'd be very surprised if it'd be allowed.

Note that that doesn't mean that a hold with those elements will not be accepted, but it means that they'll probably be removed. So if you have one slayer room, you might need to replace it. If 95% of your hold has slayer puzzles - maybe SmS isn't the right place for it.

11-16-2006 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
jbluestein wrote:
Pilchard VIII wrote:

Halph Has A Bad Day was also off-canon. I don't know the status of The Choice -- it certainly doesn't develop the story in any meaningful way, unless there's something interesting behind the master walls (haven't been there yet).
The Choice isn't canon as far as I am concerned. It was merely an "extra" hold to accompany the definitely-canon KDD2.0. I believe that is will be possible to have 2 holds come out for SS and have one of them be canon and the other not, it depends on what Erik wants, really. I just glanced through that post again and I don't really think anything there says that most SS holds have to be canon...if you want to be cynical about it, it's just another selling point. If my sequel to The Choice is added to the SS release after this one, I don't plan for it to be canonical either.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-17-2006 at 04:14 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
Now here's another question. What if you have multiple people working on a hold? Could it become a SmS?
11-17-2006 at 04:21 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If all the people meet the necessary prerequisites, then I don't see why not.

If not, I'm not sure. Erik may decide on a case-by-case basis.

11-17-2006 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster Selections (Or rather 'How to qualify for making them.')
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com