Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Tar Ballroom (Brain paths and snake bodies)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.1/10 (19 votes)
σ 2.65
Author Name:Daniel
Submitted By:Rabscuttle
Hold Name:Tar Ballroom
Theme:Brain paths and snake bodies
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:14
Number of Monsters:357
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged

File: Room.tar (20 KB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Tar Ballroom (0)  
I am neither of those things, so I haven't heard of him. Until now!

I find that the title makes me think of filetype puns.
:)

01-12-2007 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Tar Ballroom (+2)  
I have just 'mastered' this hold.

Which is to say, I beat all of the secret rooms and have peeked past the master wall, at which point my brain exploded and I was found two days later huddled in a corner singing tunelessly to myself.

Or was that something else? I forget.

In any case, this is an absolutely brilliant hold. The puzzles are exacting and brutal, but once you figure out what you need to do they're actually reasonably doable.

I particularly liked:

(secret space for spoilers about secret rooms)

Click here to view the secret text

I don't know when/if I'll ever manage to beat the secret rooms...but I'm starting on a new campaign to reduce left-behind rooms. So maybe I'll give them a shot soon.

Anyway: hats off to Rabscuttle. Awesome hold.

I give it a 10, with 8.5 brains of difficulty.

Josh

[EDIT: Oh yeah...I'm guessing that my solution to 2S2W was not the intended one. It sure didn't look anything like the top demo...I just:

]

[Last edited by jbluestein at 02-02-2007 07:12 PM]
02-02-2007 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
icon Re: Tar Ballroom (+1)  
tenth vote, woo! I'm eligible to submit a SS! (I can already taste that sweet sweet certificate of appreciation, all I need now is a hold)

jbluestein wrote:
<bunch of nice stuff>

[EDIT: Oh yeah...I'm guessing that my solution to 2S2W was not the intended one. It sure didn't look anything like the top demo...I just:

]

:)
Heh, I thought the intended solution would be fairly easy to see, but I don't think any of the first people to do the room did it that way.
02-04-2007 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
I finally got around to playing this hold, and I'm very glad I did. I was a little scared of getting involved in another difficult hold when I've already got so many I'm stuck halfway through, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I'd been expecting. What it was was intimidating. I spent a lot of time running around the hold looking at the rooms, each one a mess of dancing tar babies that I didn't understand, looking for something - anything! - that looked solvable. But once I sunk my teeth in and finished a couple of rooms and wrapped my brain around the rules of the hold, it went by pretty fast.

Unique concept, and done very well. The hold was just the right length to showcase dancing without boring me with it. Also this is one of the rare holds where what's beyond the master door actually feels like a reward. The Twist is a masterpiece. Anyway, I recommend this hold as a must-see for all advanced droders, and I'm giving it the elusive perfect 10 for fun.
04-09-2007 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Mastered.

Great hold, I must say! Rooms were different in difficulty: about half of required rooms were pretty easy, one of secret rooms(southwestern one) was pretty tough, and postmastery rooms are really tough.

My favourite rooms: 1S 2W, The Twist, southwestern secret room

EDIT: Finally completed The Three Steps. What an brilliant room! Probably the toughest room I've ever played.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 11-19-2010 11:57 PM]
04-27-2010 at 08:32 PM
Rabscuttle
mxvladi wrote:
EDIT: Finally completed The Three Steps. What an brilliant room! Probably the toughest room I've ever played.

Thanks! :cool
06-16-2011 at 09:31 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Just reminded me that I hadn't voted on this one. :D

Voted now ;)

Well, you already know what I think of this hold anyway.

06-16-2011 at 11:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Tar Ballroom (+1)  
This hold is primarily puzzles featuring serpents blocking brained movement (I can't remember now but I think it's that the serpent's head is not classed as an obstacle but the body is) so it features a lot of dancing tar babies.

Once you get the hang of this it's not too bad, I found 1S2W one of the hardest rooms with a few points where I had to go back a number of turns to ensure the serpents where on the right preference time.

Should you manage to finish this there are a couple of very very difficult post-mastery rooms. I did get a lot of satisfaction when I finally managed to clear The Three Steps which I thought was a very good room.

Difficulty: 8
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
06-16-2016 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Tar Ballroom (Brain paths and snake bodies)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com