Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Tar Covered Maze?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Shall I Include a Large, Tar-Covered Maze In My Hold?
Yes, with Tar Mothers and other monsters thrown in!
Yes, with no Tar Mothers, but a few other monsters around.
Yes, but no monsters at all - just a "find the exit" maze.
No - I just want just ordinary mazes.
I don't want any large mazes at all in it.
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon A Tar Covered Maze? (0)  
Read this first.

The next version of my hold, Bavato's Dungeon, is on its way, and will probably be finished in the next week or the week after.

The one thing I want to know is whether people will play it if I include a tar-covered maze in it. It will be approximately the same size as Level 13 of Dugan's Dungeon, although maybe not the same shape. I am also wondering if placing monsters in it is a good idea, but after the responses to Level 13 that I've seen, I'm more than a little hesitant to place my idea in motion, so I want you to help me decide.

If you object, then please post the reason here, as I'm interested to know what people think.

Any other questions or comments are also appreciated.

Thanks. :)

07-27-2003 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: A Tar Covered Maze? (0)  
I hate tar-covered mazes because they're just trial and error - I don't know what the maze looks like under the tar, so if I happen to pick the wrong piece of tar to destory - oh well! Time to start over...

Borrrrrring.

07-27-2003 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I agree with Schik on this one. If you want to do a tar maze, make it separate from your new hold. That way, people know what they're getting into.

07-27-2003 at 03:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Ouch. No. If you really want to then make a nice little warp staircase on the level before so the lazy among us can skip it.

"Oook!"
07-27-2003 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I would be more willing to play a smaller maze than a larger one. To me, level 13 was kind of an anomaly of DROD, I didn't think it really fit that well with the rest of the game. Small mazes, with or without tar, or when you have to move a mimic through at the same time, are much more in the DROD style, in my opinion.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-27-2003 at 09:59 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I would hate to have to play a tar covered maze for the same reason as schik. Not really fond of mazes at all. Its not really a puzzle more of a a blunder about.
07-28-2003 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Level 13 was my least favorite level (as I mentioned in Malarame's Questionaire thread on the General board), mainly because it seemed I couldn't beat it without DROD.net's solution. And Level 11 was probably easier in Webfoot DROD, because the maps didn't show the tar. At what I just said, the tar-maze idea would probably be a bit much of a challenge. :evilmad::devil

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-28-2003 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Tar Covered Maze? Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com