Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : King Dugan's Dungeon : Fourteenth Level : 1 North, 1 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
skip
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon King Dugan's Dungeon : Fourteenth Level : 1 North, 1 East (0)  

Even with all the great posts I cannot get out of the tunnel. I have killed the goblin, killed many roaches, but still cannot make it to the exit. I am at #1 now and will try anything :w00t
06-06-2006 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon : Fourteenth Level : 1 North, 1 East (+1)  
skip wrote:

Even with all the great posts I cannot get out of the tunnel. I have killed the goblin, killed many roaches, but still cannot make it to the exit. I am at #1 now and will try anything :w00t

skip --

Is your problem just dealing with the onslaught of roaches? You've killed or otherwise dealt with all four goblins on the left side of the room, so you just have one more goblin and probably a whole lot of roaches. Right?

It's been a while since I played this room, but I don't think there's any special trick to it. You need to be able to position yourself to kill a roach with every move, which means 1 square east of (1). I think that the obstacles in the room should prevent the roaches from crowding the door and keeping you away from where you need to be.

Or if this isn't the problem you're having, please be more specific...

06-06-2006 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skip
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon : Fourteenth Level : 1 North, 1 East (0)  
jbluestein wrote:
skip wrote:

skip --

Is your problem just dealing with the onslaught of roaches? You've killed or otherwise dealt with all four goblins on the left side of the room, so you just have one more goblin and probably a whole lot of roaches. Right?

It's been a while since I played this room, but I don't think there's any special trick to it. You need to be able to position yourself to kill a roach with every move, which means 1 square east of (1). I think that the obstacles in the room should prevent the roaches from crowding the door and keeping you away from where you need to be.

Or if this isn't the problem you're having, please be more specific...

Yes, the problem is all the roaches. I keep killingthem but do not know when to try and leave the tunnel or where to try and go.
Skip

06-06-2006 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
skip wrote:
Yes, the problem is all the roaches. I keep killingthem but do not know when to try and leave the tunnel or where to try and go.

OK, well, in general here's what you'll need to do:

Click here to view the secret text

Good luck!

06-06-2006 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
One trick that helps is to enter on the bottommost square of the entrance. This drives the right set of roaches mostly into the exit. Just be sure to move all the way to the top row while dealing with the goblins and the straggler will move in. This gives you just four roaches coming from the right.

[Last edited by KevG at 06-06-2006 07:32 PM]
06-06-2006 at 07:32 PM
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
Thank you Kevg, I missed this and was finding the hoard difficult to manage, but with half the queens clustered in the east entrance,
it was a straightforward room.

One thing I always enjoy after solving a room is to watch a few of the CaravelNet demos, and this room is unsatisfying in this respect, because the only demos visible are those done by folk entering from the east side.

This seems improper to me: this particular level only allows initial access from the west side.

Could there be a piece of metadata about the room that disallows demos from particular entrances?

I've seem this problem in other rooms, and it means some of the most interesting demos are lost.

06-05-2014 at 01:24 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2394
The hold author can enforce this via green door placement.
But yes, it often means that the "interesting" demos aren't at the top of the list. Keep in mind that this was the first hold ever made, so much has been learned since then.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 06-05-2014 06:30 AM]
06-05-2014 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
I quite agree that devices could be added to the room to enforce the behavior, but that's why I said metadata.

There are some levels (L22 of JtRH, for example) where "passing through" a room is part of the level design, and I'm not proposing changing that, nor any other aspect of room play - that would be a huge imposition.

I was thinking of an attribute that one could add to an entrance called scorable. It wouldn't affect gameplay in any way, just the list of best demos. Or, maybe it would be better to have an attribute called non-scorable that may be applied to an entrance.

This could be applied post-hoc to a hold without any fear of changing the gameplay. So all the demos I currently see would be deemed invalid and not displayed in the high score list. What we'd see now id the first "real" solution: and then doubtless we'd get a flurry of action from the optimizers.

I will create a separate request thread for this if it gains any traction in discussion here.

[Last edited by karlpopper at 06-07-2014 03:07 AM : 686 Thread view: 2014-06-06]
06-05-2014 at 03:31 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : King Dugan's Dungeon : Fourteenth Level : 1 North, 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com