Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : bug in level maps?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon bug in level maps? (0)  
I was trying to post a hint topic for Spare Rooms 1S1W and/or 1S1E when I found this:

I go to Hints&Solutions, I hit "search/post new" and then I select "Spare Rooms" in the holds drop down.

Now I hover over the map trying to pinpoint the room I want. here's the thing: every room I hover over is shifted 1 west.

for example, if I hover over the entrance, the room drop down says "1 east", and if I click it, the image of the entrance comes up. I go to the room I want, 1S1W, it says "1S" and if I click it, the image of 1S comes up... it's like the whole map is shifted in memory west one room...

I suspect this might be related to the west-most room (and the only room to reach to the west-most column) being a secret room, but I can't be sure...

(I'm using IE6. this might be a local-to-me bug, or might be a browser bug. can't tell without other people replicating. if you're reading this - try to post a H&S topic in Spare Rooms and see if it does the same thing (but go ahead and abort before posting))

(possibly related and/or important to the bug. or maybe not: I've visited (and conquered) the secret room in the far west column)

[Last edited by silver at 04-29-2006 11:22 AM]
04-29-2006 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: bug in level maps? (0)  
silver wrote:
(I'm using IE6. this might be a local-to-me bug, or might be a browser bug. can't tell without other people replicating. if you're reading this - try to post a H&S topic in Spare Rooms and see if it does the same thing (but go ahead and abort before posting))
I can tell you I don't have any problems with the hints. (I use Firefox, and have not been playing the hold yet). Do you want me to make the thread instead?

04-29-2006 at 11:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: bug in level maps? (+1)  
Tim wrote:
Do you want me to make the thread instead?

no, that's fine :)

I just replicated both the correct behavior and the bug by switching to Firefox on a different machine.

When I wasn't logged in (i.e. the site had no idea I had visited the secret room in the far west), it displayed correctly (the map didn't include the secret room, and the mouse-hovers showed the correct coordinates)

When I logged in, however, it displayed the map with the secret room, but the room locations were off by 1-to-the-west just like when I used IE6+logged-in+had-visited-the-secret-room before.

(so the results are:
Firefox+logged-in+no-visit = correct (Tim)
Firefox+not-logged-in+(implicit no visit) = correct (me)
IE6+logged-in+visit = bad (me)
Firefox+logged-in+vist = bad (me)

leading me to conclude that the issue is with visiting. specifically, visiting a secret room which makes a column unto itself, shifting all the other rooms)

(oh, and I see Stefan logged in. no doubt all my 1st places are about to be supplanted and humiliated, and the rooms I can't solve are about to be conquered easily :) )

[Last edited by silver at 04-29-2006 11:57 AM]
04-29-2006 at 11:45 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: bug in level maps? (+1)  
Until this bug gets fixed, hence here a hint for 1S1W (might need moving to hints & solutions board).

Turns out I'm the first to complete it, so hot off the press ;)

Click here to view the secret text

Let me know if you need any further hints...

[EDIT]
Grammar

[EDIT2]
I've got hints for 1S1E too if anyone's interested. A pure gem of a level! Not sure whether to wait for the hints & solutions bug to be fixed first though and post there... ?

[Last edited by Syntax at 04-29-2006 04:50 PM]
04-29-2006 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : bug in level maps?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com