Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Jimmythins First Hold
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.5/10 (28 votes)
σ 1.55
Author Name:Jimmythins
Submitted By:Jimmythins
Hold Name:The First Hold
Theme:
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:30
Number of Monsters:276
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Jimmythins First Hold.hold (15.5 KB)
Downloaded 1584 times.
License: Other
icon Jimmythins First Hold  

04-15-2006 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Jimmythins First Hold (0)  
Well, normally you should probably stick your hold onto the architecture board before you decide to put it up here. What I suggest is to try playing through King Dugan's Dungeon (which is somewhere around here) and looking at the puzzles in there. That should give you some inspiration. This hold definitely has potential. The scrolls you've given seem to denote a hold that seems to be for beginners, which is fine. I think that some rooms could be more fleshed out though, such as the Slayer-trapdoor room.
04-15-2006 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
This hold isn't as crappy as all the in-hold comments would lead you to believe. Sure, it's not very difficult, but there aren't any really obvious problems with the hold (well, some places that can't be backtracked from, OK) and the rooms are interesting if easy.

I give it a 6, with 3 brains.

07-20-2006 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
I thought was a good hold, not too difficult since I was able to complete it. How do I get my name on the list of members that conquered it? :hmmm:

07-26-2006 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Upload your scores to CaravelNet. To do that:

1. Open DROD: Journey to the Rooted Hold.
2. Click CHANGE SETTINGS.
3. Make sure you are connected to CaravelNet and the Connect to CaravelNet button is X'ed.
4. Click UPLOAD MY SCORES.
5. Check your High Scores on CaravelNet. You can find High Scores under your PROFILE.
6. Confirm that your scores have been uploaded.

Hope I helped!

Keep posting,

07-26-2006 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Thank you for the step by step instructions. I just realized I'm still using the Demo version and that's probably why I can't upload scores. I'll have to load the full version first. :selftwak

07-26-2006 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
And I'd also recommend you subscribe to the impossibly cheap caravel.net (with the retail price of a yearly pizza) which gives so many extra features it's utterly unimaginable. Every day I discover a new one.
07-27-2006 at 08:47 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
And I'd also recommend you subscribe to the impossibly cheap caravel.net (with the retail price of a yearly pizza) which gives so many extra features it's utterly unimaginable. Every day I discover a new one.
Wouldn't the trophy icon below his posts indicate that he already has a CaravelNet subscription? What good would a link to his hiscore page do if he couldn't submit high scores? :huh

np: SCSI-9 - Ne Contsom A Coltsom (The Line Of Nine)

07-27-2006 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
Syntax wrote:

strictly OFF TOPIC i know...

...but: your yearly pizza is amazing expensive! it must be a premium size one!!! but also may be that in n/a a pizza is worth so much.

nevertheless the membership at caravelnet is really cheap. meassured with the value you will get! :thumbsup

zaubberer
:wizard

[Last edited by zaubberer at 07-27-2006 11:33 PM]
07-27-2006 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
zaubberer wrote:
...but: your yearly pizza is amazing expensive! it must be a premium size one!!! but also may be that in n/a a pizza is worth so much.
What? The normal-size pizza I ordered on Monday cost 7.90 EUR plus 2.20 EUR for delivery (because it cost less than 9 EUR), which sums up to a total of 10.10 EUR.

A CaravelNet membership, on the other hand, costs 12 USD or about 9.50 EUR...

07-27-2006 at 11:58 PM
jjohn7418
I did just recently purchase the membership, but I have not purchased the full version of JTRH. I plan on getting it when I get paid at the end of the month. :thumbsup

07-28-2006 at 04:09 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I am saving up for TCB!

07-28-2006 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
You should be able to use all CaravelNet features using only the free 2.0 engine - so you should still be able to upload scores. All that buying full JtRH gives you is the extra styles and music and the JtRH levels.

Not to stop you buying it, of course, but you should still be able to upload progress.

"Oook!"
07-28-2006 at 01:00 PM
jjohn7418
krammer wrote:
You should be able to use all CaravelNet features using only the free 2.0 engine - so you should still be able to upload scores.

The "Upload Scores" button is not hilighted, but shaded instead. I think the version I have is 2.0.8.

07-29-2006 at 05:12 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
You might need to upgrade, there were some issues with earlier versions and score uploading that were recently fixed. Though I guess if you're buying the full version anyway (worth it, of course!) that doesn't matter as much.

07-29-2006 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Briareos wrote:
Syntax wrote:
Wouldn't the trophy icon below his posts indicate that he already has a CaravelNet subscription? What good would a link to his hiscore page do if he couldn't submit high scores? :huh

np: SCSI-9 - Ne Contsom A Coltsom (The Line Of Nine)
Aplogies... I didn't notice/realise. I just saw the word "demo" and figured Caravel.net didn't/shouldn't work with that and hence jjohn7418 didn't have Caravel.net. I stand corrected.
07-29-2006 at 02:05 PM
Briareos
Syntax wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Aplogies... I didn't notice/realise. I just saw the word "demo" and figured Caravel.net didn't/shouldn't work with that and hence jjohn7418 didn't have Caravel.net. I stand corrected.
Hey, no need to apologize, at least not to me... :)

np: Mr. Lif - Take, Hold, Fire! (Mo' Mega)

07-29-2006 at 04:08 PM
jjohn7418
Okay, now I have the full version and a member subscription. I have my scores posted, but it doesn't say I conquered the hold even though it's at 100%. What else do I need to do for my scores?

Thanks, Jim

[Last edited by jjohn7418 at 08-17-2006 08:01 PM : spelling (once again)]
08-17-2006 at 08:00 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Complete the hold-entering room when you're connected to CaravelNet in order to get CN to see you as having completed the hold.

08-17-2006 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Hikari wrote:
Complete the hold-entering room when you're connected to CaravelNet in order to get CN to see you as having completed the hold.
Don't you rather mean the hold-exiting room? :look

08-18-2006 at 08:57 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Briareos wrote:
Hikari wrote:
Don't you rather mean the hold-exiting room? :look
Yay for posting while half-asleep! :?

08-18-2006 at 11:30 AM
jjohn7418
Thanks, that did help.

08-19-2006 at 07:07 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Jimmythins First Hold (+1)  
Interesting hold. There were a couple of rooms that were clever and I especially liked the last level, it did feel like you were reaching some kind of end boss, which was a nice touch.

Overall it felt, as one of the levels was titled, like "lots of weird things" and generally nothing spectacular. As another commenter pointed out though, there doesn't appear to be any bugs, which is nice.

08-24-2011 at 07:10 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Is there a reason why I can't find hints for this hold? It's not even listed, it seems...
05-28-2014 at 08:29 PM
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
That is odd... it's listed as "The First Hold"... not sure why.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/userfile.php?f=/11/71/0&BoardID=1#192/1002/0/0

Edit: Oh, the hold itself is called "The First Hold", but the file name is "Jimmythins First Hold".

[Last edited by Kwerulous at 05-28-2014 08:40 PM]
05-28-2014 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Jimmythins First Hold Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com