Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Mouse Control (Making rodents dance with a flick of the wrist)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Re: Mouse Control (0)  
Let's make a DROD boardgame for those that don't have a computer. :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-07-2006 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Mouse Control (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
Let's make a DROD boardgame for those that don't have a computer. :thumbsup
Nah - make it a collectible card game; there's plenty more money in those... :D

np: Peter Grummich - Frozen World (Kompakt Total 6 (Disc 2))

04-07-2006 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I have to admit I would find a certain appeal to a board game type dealie.
04-08-2006 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well, as I said elsewhere, I managed to reconstruct "Solomn's Key" using a chess board plus standard pieces, so DROD should be a doddle compared to that (SK has gravity).

Only issues is the 8 x 8 limitation...
04-08-2006 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
Syntax wrote:
Only issues is the 8 x 8 limitation...

wargame wonk stores have big posters of blank graphs in a variety of sizes and graph-scales. as well as blank counters.
(bonus points, though, if you can find a few hundred rouch miniatures)

04-08-2006 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
silver wrote:
(bonus points, though, if you can find a few hundred roach miniatures)
I'd just order roach brooches.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-08-2006 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
mrimer wrote:
silver wrote:
(bonus points, though, if you can find a few hundred roach miniatures)
I'd just order roach brooches.

Don't bother, just take mine. Infact i will PAY you to take them, provided you take them all.
04-09-2006 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mechadragon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
This topic gives me a wonderfully silly idea.

How about an actual enemy, called a Mouse. It'll act like, say, a Roach, however at the expense of a turn you can control it with your mouse. (either by picking it up and dropping it anywhere else or limiting it to dragging the mouse one tile away then dropping).
04-19-2006 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
sorry to bump this up, but i recently tried to play DROD on a laptop with its clunky controls.

If you where to have beethro move in the general direction of the mouse, have the LMB and RMB work as the sword turning buttions, have spacebar act as wait, backspace for undo, and esc(or any other button) to fuction as a toggle mouse function, it would be sooo much more easier to play drod on a laptop with a touch pad.

(refer to my 'other' post for anything i have missed.)

:-O PLZ?
05-17-2006 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
I play on a laptop, and don't have any problems with it at all - I use

7 8 9
u i o
j k l

to move, and it works quite well for me. In fact, computer mice in general are a definite step back from a keyboard. When using the keyboard, your hands have to move a fraction the amount that they have to move when using a mouse. Just think if you had to type by clicking buttons on the screen with a mouse!

I do agree that certain things would be made easier with use of the mouse. However, I personally do not think I would ever use it, really. Even if it were used to place a mimic, for example, it would take longer to move my hand to the mouse and click then it would be to place the mimic using the current method.

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 05-17-2006 03:24 PM]
05-17-2006 at 03:24 PM
NiroZ
Kevin_P86 wrote:
I play on a laptop, and don't have any problems with it at all - I use

7 8 9
u i o
j k l

to move, and it works quite well for me. In fact, computer mice in general are a definite step back from a keyboard. When using the keyboard, your hands have to move a fraction the amount that they have to move when using a mouse. Just think if you had to type by clicking buttons on the screen with a mouse!

yes, but its on a horrible slant, which is very fustrating after you have been using the other setting first.

Also, a mouse movement can be faster than a key press, depeding on the keystroke rate of the keyboard your using.
05-19-2006 at 05:38 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
That "horrible slant" seems to be better suited to the way my hand / arm is built - when I leave my arm relaxed on to my keyboard, it's naturally at an angle. However, that's partly because the keys are more or less in front of me. If using the numpad on a regular keyboard, it's more off to the side so it's better suited to be square.

Anyways, I would really like to see anyone who could control Beethro faster with repeatedly clicking as opposed to using the keyboard.

05-19-2006 at 02:45 PM
NiroZ
NiroZ wrote:
well with the mouse thing, im wondering how effective it would be if:

when you hit left-click during the game, bethro becomes attached to your cursor, and the scroll wheel up is to move the sword clockwise, down is anti-clockwise. Right click is undo move and left click gets you out of this mode.

In the options, you could tweak the response time of the mouse in relation to bethro, and how long it takes to accept commands again to move.

In order to stay compadable with inbuild laptop mouses, the keyboard would still be active.

This would be good if you have an old keyboard with tough keys or are just feeling lazy.

Any good?

this is what i ment by my 'other' post

yes, tapping beats clicking.
05-19-2006 at 04:38 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Mouse Control (Making rodents dance with a flick of the wrist)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com