Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : unlimited undo
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Re: unlimited undo (+3)  
Guys, Mattcrampy is not a member of dev.

Not. He does not, in fact, have a voice that rings out to the heavens and tips Mrimer over on his ear.

He is a player. A player with good ideas, but a player. He cannot, not not not, shoot this out of the water on his own.
02-18-2006 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: unlimited undo (+1)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Note that just because 3 dev team members like it, doesn't mean anything at all unless Mike does. He's the boss, and when he makes his mind up on something, that's the way it's gonna be!
That's right. Uh, wait... No, it's not. Oh, yes, it is. Except when I'm indecisive.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-18-2006 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I could have sworn that michthro's original suggestion was UU only after room completion. *shrug*

It's interesting to read about what people think about high scores. I know that I used to care about all my scores and improving my average rank, but I found that it sapped a lot of the fun out of the game. I couldn't just play, but I'd have to be concentrating hard in order to equal or beat the current best. It also meant replaying those simple rooms on the first couple of level of JtRH that have been optimised five times over. Then you find you're playing a non-scorable trapdoor room and undoing (or worse - restoring) each time you accidentally walk into a pit. blegh.

The way I currently play is similar to the one Doom mentioned. When I'm playing throuhg a hold for the first time, I generally won't worry about scores too much. If a room look interesting optimisation-wise, I'll maybe have a couple of tries at it but otherwise I won't worry too much. Then if I ever want to come back to a room in the hold, it's just a matter of restoring (with the advantage that the room is normally definitely registered as completed)

The rooms that I find interesting are, as michthro noted, the loooong ones. I guess I'm unusual in that I don't mind replaying the long rooms too many times in an attempt to reduce their moves. When they are not boring - like "run rings with snakes forever" or "sit back and wait for x spawns" - they are generally quite interesting. More moves means more chances to reduce them and more ways in which changes at the start can have an effect on the future.

There are some advantages to caring about long rooms
* other people don't :)
* It's easy to keep track of them (I have the first fifteen Misc Scores pages bookmarked O:-)
* If people beat them by enough moves, the rooms are no longer long, so you don't care too much about being beaten.

That said, I would like to see some more people competing for the longer rooms - when all is said and done, optimised rooms are cool and finding the best solution is easier if there are more people searching the tree.

So, what I will do is pose a question: What should ctrl-backspace do? I see two options. One, multi-move undo; hitting backspace with ctrl held would undo 5 (or 30) moves.

Yes, if unlimited undo is added, this should definitely be in. One of the problems with undo with longer rooms (with lotsa monsters) is that it can take quite some time to work out the previous position. Towards the end of the 780 queen room in Malcolm, Brock and Dave, one undo can take more than five seconds. Ctrl-Undo could reduce waiting time by up to a factor of 30.

Two, redo; this would allow you to back up to check a prior position and then restore to where you were. It would also eliminate the problem of backing up too much. Obviously redo wouldn't work once you had hit a key other than backspace.

Heck, I'd want this in even unlimited undo wasn't. If I had a million dollars for everytime I'd accidentally pressed R, or pressed it one too many times, I'd be a multi-millionaire.
02-19-2006 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: unlimited undo (0)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
It's interesting to read about what people think about high scores. I know that I used to care about all my scores and improving my average rank, but I found that it sapped a lot of the fun out of the game. I couldn't just play, but I'd have to be concentrating hard in order to equal or beat the current best. It also meant replaying those simple rooms on the first couple of level of JtRH that have been optimised five times over. Then you find you're playing a non-scorable trapdoor room and undoing (or worse - restoring) each time you accidentally walk into a pit. blegh.
That's an interesting viewpoint. I care about my scores because I know I won't get a chance to play many rooms at any time, so when I play, I want to try to find the best solution in the rooms I do end up playing. For me, I find seeing an amazing technique that can be used to deal with a group of monsters or elements (often in one of your #1 demos, admittedly), understanding why it works (in terms of looking at the monster movements or Beethro's path distance), and then using it (or some variant of it) much more fun and valuable than simply playing several rooms with the same element. Also, it does have the added benefit that even after two months of inactivity, I still managed to retain around 70-80 #1 scores of my original 121, which does leave some of my efforts unwasted.

02-19-2006 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: unlimited undo (+2)  
Using UU solely to improve room scores seems okay...mostly to help determined people avoid wasting their time. I'll update the code in DROD 3.0 to enable UU for a room once

(1) the room's hold is completed, and
(2) the room is conquered.

The reason for including both conditions is to avoid UU in non-trivial clean rooms (either initially clean or clean but still non-trivial after conquering). After conquering a hold, it seems fair to assume all these puzzles will have been completely traversed and no spoiling of fun puzzles will occur. At which point, score optimization may commence!

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-19-2006 02:26 AM]
02-19-2006 at 02:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
mrimer wrote:
Using UU solely to improve room scores seems okay...mostly to help determined people avoid wasting their time. I'm going to enable UU in TCB once

(1) the current hold is completed, and
(2) the current room is conquered.

The reason for including both conditions is to avoid UU in non-trivial clean rooms (either initially clean or clean but still non-trivial after conquering). After conquering a hold, it seems fair to assume all these puzzles will have been completely traversed and no spoiling of fun puzzles will occur. At which point, score optimization may commence!
Yahoo!

Thank you so much, Mike. This will hopefully be very, very cool and nifty.

Also...

Click here to view the secret text

02-19-2006 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Sounds good to me!
02-19-2006 at 02:24 AM
mrimer
Rabscuttle wrote:
One of the problems with undo with longer rooms (with lotsa monsters) is that it can take quite some time to work out the previous position. Towards the end of the 780 queen room in Malcolm, Brock and Dave, one undo can take more than five seconds.
I'm not planning on adding simultaneous multiple move undo, but for the Confirmed record, there will be fast undoing in 3.0. Fast enough that delay when undoing won't be a problem any more.

02-19-2006 at 02:38 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
mrimer wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
One of the problems with undo with longer rooms (with lotsa monsters) is that it can take quite some time to work out the previous position. Towards the end of the 780 queen room in Malcolm, Brock and Dave, one undo can take more than five seconds.
I'm not planning on adding simultaneous multiple move undo, but for the Confirmed record, there will be fast undoing in 3.0. Fast enough that delay when undoing won't be a problem any more.

Even better :thumbsup
02-19-2006 at 03:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Banjooie wrote:
Not. He does not, in fact, have a voice that rings out to the heavens and tips Mrimer over on his ear.

No, but the Mattcrampy Labs(tm) are working on it as we speak. So far, shouts over 120 decibels can give Mike a headache.

We got a long way to go.

02-19-2006 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Well, add another person getting the bandwagon stuck in the mud. I deeply agree with Matt - unlimited undo should either costn you one move for every 5 moves undone, or not count as a victory demo.

Or, I could accept the fact that I never care about high scores and move on from there. Still, I'm going to be the person standing outside of Erik's basement door holding signs that say "Unlimited undo isn't fair" and "The end is near".

02-19-2006 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
This is too big a change to be lightly implemented (even with the proposed restrictions)

Personally, I'd be weighing the benefits

1. Some people have less frustration with optimising solutions

against the costs

1. Holds optimised more quickly, leading to less replay value.

2. Less skill required to play DROD. Instead of a test of strategic and tactical ability, it'll be a tree search. Still of interest to some, but that's a subset of the already IMO too exclusive club of people who are competing for highscores.

3. No ability to turn back the clock - if it's implemented and it turns out to be a bad idea, the highscore list will already be 'poisoned' Even if unlimited undo is removed for future versions, those highscores achieved under more lenient rules could not be (there'd be no point) Also, if the feature is removed, what's stopping a player from simply ignoring the upgrade?

Beyond all this, I have a fear that unlimited undo would destroy the appeal of not only the highscores, but the game as a whole for me. It's too drastic a change, for too little benefit, for too few people.

[Last edited by StuartK at 02-19-2006 06:03 AM]
02-19-2006 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
But I do think that the opinion of many of the forumites is somewhat biased. One of the biggest deterrents to casual gamers picking up this game and sticking with it is its incredible difficulty. I feel that it's okay for the high scores to be slightly compromised in the interest of expanding the fan base.

02-19-2006 at 06:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Unlimited undo will, yes, put some previously impossible to optimise rooms within reach, but as I see it, it will render the vast majority of rooms trivial. Perhaps my perspective is influenced by my playstyle though.

We still haven't had a good and thorough analysis of the actual consequences of this change. I propose we give the option to hold authors to enable unlimited undo for their holds (default disabled) which would allow for such testing to take place.
02-19-2006 at 06:27 AM
StuartK
RoboBob3000 wrote:
But I do think that the opinion of many of the forumites is somewhat biased. One of the biggest deterrents to casual gamers picking up this game and sticking with it is its incredible difficulty. I feel that it's okay for the high scores to be slightly compromised in the interest of expanding the fan base.
With the proposed change, the casual gamer isn't going to get unlimited undo unless they complete the hold. No incentive one way or the other for them. Veterans will have already optimised the hold (or at least put it way outside the reach of the novice) by the time they're at the point where it might be of interest.
02-19-2006 at 06:34 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Wait, huh?

It's true that usually there will already have been someone who got the #1 slot, but it's still possible to optimize the hold and get a #1 tie. Frankly, at the moment, it's sort of a given that Rabscuttle or yourself will get the #1 slot, or else Doom or Wallu or Micthro, almost every time, unless someone else plays the hold immediately after release. It seems to me that for most players, a #1 tie is definitely sufficient.

Put another way, it's already impossible for a new player to compete with existing players score-wise - so I can't see what difference unlimited undo will make on this account.

02-19-2006 at 06:45 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Thanks, Mike Rimer! I knew you're a democratic sort of autocrat.
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

StuartK wrote:
1. Holds optimised more quickly, leading to less replay value.
At the rate holds are published, it's difficult enough to play each room once. In fact, wallu and Stefan are the only players who are keeping up*. Replaying holds, even with UU, will take much longer still. Also, as I pointed out before, the most optimised hold, JtRH, is far from optimised. So I wouldn't say holds are optimised more quickly, rather that more rooms, especially long ones, will actually be optimised.
2. Less skill required to play DROD. Instead of a test of strategic and tactical ability, it'll be a tree search.
The point has been made one way and another that you'll have to first find the tree to search, which is the interesting part, while performing the actual search will be less tedious.
Unlimited undo will, yes, put some previously impossible to optimise rooms within reach, but as I see it, it will render the vast majority of rooms trivial. Perhaps my perspective is influenced by my playstyle though.
The vast majority of rooms trivial? That's rather a massive overstatement. Some rooms, yes, but those rooms are already trivial to optimise, it only takes a bit longer to do so. The vast majority of rooms are too complex for trivial brute force optimisation. Your perspective is influenced by your playstyle: Like me (to a lesser extent), you've been sticking to optimising short rooms, where UU won't make all that much difference. Do you really think all those long rooms you left to Rabscuttle will become trivial?
With the proposed change, the casual gamer isn't going to get unlimited undo unless they complete the hold. No incentive one way or the other for them. Veterans will have already optimised the hold (or at least put it way outside the reach of the novice) by the time they're at the point where it might be of interest.
Well, novices can't expect to be able to compete straight away. By the time they're ready, they can compete on new holds. If it's total score they want to compete for, they have to face the fact that, as eytanz said, it's already too late. Too late to get near the top quickly, that is. Nothing wrong with that. If they play for high scores to try and prove something, and not because they find it fun, they can fall back on other statistics.
EDIT: Sorry Stefan :blush Only noticed now you've caught up again in record time. Talk about not being able to keep up..

[Last edited by michthro at 02-20-2006 04:42 PM]
02-19-2006 at 08:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
StuartK wrote:

We still haven't had a good and thorough analysis of the actual consequences of this change. I propose we give the option to hold authors to enable unlimited undo for their holds (default disabled) which would allow for such testing to take place.
I played all of the recent Limited Resources Contest in the 3.0 engine, mostly for testing of importing and various things. Since it is a dev version, UU is enabled in the main hold. Now, I'm not one of the best players, but I am at least on the first page of the high scores still (just barely, but I'm there). And there were still many holds that I just couldn't beat. A great case in point: that one entry where the first room was guiding the Slayer to hit 3 orbs, I think it was vylycyn's. I UU'ed the hell out of that room and I still couldn't beat it. So I just warped past it, and did the rest of the hold just fine. ;)

I tried to avoid using UU when I was actually paying attention to what I was doing. On a hold like Rabscuttle's Desert, the rooms were just right for me, and if I found myself using UU I would restart to a checkpoint. But then there were holds like Jacob's and techant's where UU helped me explore some solutions, but ultimately I found some of the rooms just too hard and I didn't want to bother doing them. UU helped a bit with, for example, Jacob's 1E, but I still couldn't solve it. And one of techant's rooms with both a tar and a mud mother, where you have to drop a black door...UU doesn't do much good when you have to undo half the room to get to the point where the mother was still alive.

Forcing both the hold to be conquered as well as the room itself (if conquerable) in order to use UU should not affect normal playthroughs whatsoever. And as long as everyone has access to UU through 3.0, the playing field is level.

However, I do see some of the other side still. If there's one thing I've learned from playing MMORPGs, it is that it always hurts you more to "nerf" one class than it does to "buff" the others. So I'd rather give more points to people that don't use UU to solve a room than to penalize those who do. I don't want to add moves for each undo because the number of moves in a demo should be an objective number, not a subjective number.

And that's all I can think of to say right now.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-19-2006 at 08:17 AM
StuartK
michthro wrote:
The point has been made one way and another that you'll have to first find the tree to search, which is the interesting part,
With the set conditions, the puzzle side will remain unaffected by the change.
while performing the actual search will be less tedious.
It's not just tedium that will be lost with this change, however.

DROD for me is very much akin to a war game - the techniques for optimising it are all about strategy and tactics. Strategy (spotting the tree) will overall remain unaffected, and tactics (the nitty gritty of optimisation) will. The tactical skills some have developed will be rendered largely irrelevant with unlimited undo - others will be able to do the same, not by skill, but by excessive reliance on undoing.

Do you think it's possible your perspective is also skewed, because you've got such skill at the tactical side, that you find it trivial? Or that you've got such a skill at the strategic side, that you'd (subconsciously?) like to see the tactical side de-emphasised?
02-19-2006 at 02:30 PM
agaricus5
StuartK wrote:
It's not just tedium that will be lost with this change, however.

DROD for me is very much akin to a war game - the techniques for optimising it are all about strategy and tactics. Strategy (spotting the tree) will overall remain unaffected, and tactics (the nitty gritty of optimisation) will. The tactical skills some have developed will be rendered largely irrelevant with unlimited undo - others will be able to do the same, not by skill, but by excessive reliance on undoing.
But like I said, do you actually see those tactics before you go off and play a room or a section of it? You may be able to say what sort of thing needs to be done, like for example, you know that you need to kill the two goblins as fast as possible because the wraithwings get themselves trapped, or that the roach in column 25 is the limiting factor, so you need to get it out fast, but can you see immediately exactly which moves are required? I personally cannot, for the reasons mentioned earlier, so I need to experiment and if something does seem to work, then I can try to understand why it happened. For example...

In KDD 2.0, L2 1E, Rabscuttle previously had a winning demo that looked pretty optimal. In such a situation, I couldn't see any tactics that could possibly increase my score, since his were already so good, and I could see why they worked. Therefore, I accepted defeat, and played the room myself, as he did it, just to see if I could also match his best. However, unknown to me, I made a logical, but nevertheless accidental typo that made all the difference in this room (you'll see it at move 111, I think). So, I was pleasantly surprised when I realised my move count was one lower than his, and that I would now hold the new #1 score, although I had no idea why at the time.

Unless you're a computer, experimentation as an iterative process is the key to finding new solutions, and the "tactic" is a test of whether you can use what you discover in your experiments to help you find an optimal solution, as well as what you can analyse theoretically.

To take another example, the optimal solution in KDD 2.0, L7 2N is highly dependent on monster movement order. If you never tested the room, how would you find out what the order was? You could work it out theoretically, admittedly, since this room is simple, but what about in a horde room like JtRH L1 2N 3W? I severely doubt even Ricky could have got his solution intentionally, on his first try. Indeed, it probably took him several experiments in which he must have realised what the movement order was, and then used it to work out how to get those roaches to line up nicely. In fact, I don't see there is much difference between your definitions of "strategy" and "tactics". Basically, in optimisation, you need to search for what seems to work, and go off and find out if it does, refining your technique if you notice or predict that what you're doing is making you more efficient. Optimisation is about iteration by definition. I just don't want to reiterate moves that are already optimal.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 02-19-2006 03:42 PM]
02-19-2006 at 03:41 PM
StuartK
I... guess I do have a knack for that kind of optimisation. Most of my #1s are from my first run through a room. I used to replay rooms far more than I do now, and this is how I developed the skills I use now. With unlimited undo, players are going to come to rely on this as a crutch (just as I rely on the single move undo at the moment) and not learn these same techniques, which IMO would be a loss.

Or to put it more selfishly, it's the ironman playstyle analogy. I play a room without using unlimited undo and feel proud for gettting an efficient solution. Someone comes along and uses unlimited undo, and improves upon it. It's a somehow... lesser solution. It's not a level playing field, because I've already put a *hell* of a lot of time getting my solutions, and with the new rule, they're all going to be that much easier to beat.

We still haven't addressed whether the final goal is to find the optimal solution, to test the skill of the players, or to just showcase interesting techniques? In my mind, unlimited undo leans more towards the first, which leads to the question, why have highscores? Why not just a list of most efficient demos? As it stands, many solutions are already copies or near copies of each other (rather than being interesting and original demonstrations of technique) and this will only be magnified.
02-19-2006 at 04:20 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
StuartK wrote:
It's not a level playing field, because I've already put a *hell* of a lot of time getting my solutions, and with the new rule, they're all going to be that much easier to beat.
I've already discussed this quite lengthily with michthro in the previous posts. Yes, it's unfair, but I'm sure Caravel has thought about it for some time before they implemented it.
We still haven't addressed whether the final goal is to find the optimal solution, to test the skill of the players, or to just showcase interesting techniques?
It should have been "all of them", bacause that's what Caravel could attract more players to buy CaravelNet. However, I think it will turn out to be the one that the loudest forumites would like. But I'm sure Caravel have thought about this before making that decision.

Disclaimer: I'm no part of Caravel. I don't care about highscores. And (probably) the only reason I would not extend my CaravelNet would be if they keep releasing incredibly hard SmS holds.

02-19-2006 at 05:12 PM
agaricus5
StuartK wrote:
I... guess I do have a knack for that kind of optimisation. Most of my #1s are from my first run through a room.
Wow! That's definitely some skill (although are those all #1s really optimal? :))! Also, did you do that without replaying the room at all, or did you use the restart key?

Edit: Just to make the point, I think I found one that wasn't. :P
I used to replay rooms far more than I do now, and this is how I developed the skills I use now. With unlimited undo, players are going to come to rely on this as a crutch (just as I rely on the single move undo at the moment) and not learn these same techniques, which IMO would be a loss.
But do you learn a technique simply by playing a sequence of moves repeatedly? If you analysed the movements as you did them, this might be true, but then, would you need 15 repetitions to learn why a technique works in a room, for example?

Or to put it more selfishly, it's the ironman playstyle analogy. I play a room without using unlimited undo and feel proud for gettting an efficient solution. Someone comes along and uses unlimited undo, and improves upon it. It's a somehow... lesser solution. It's not a level playing field, because I've already put a *hell* of a lot of time getting my solutions, and with the new rule, they're all going to be that much easier to beat.
To put a counter-argument to you then, my time is reasonably precious to me as I don't have a lot of it, and so I want to use it efficiently. Your analogy is saying that I should be penalised because I want to be efficient but I cannot compete in terms of free time with you.

Put another way, I haven't got a ridiculous amount of time, so if I fail to find a better solution, or a good reasoning for why there isn't one, and I've lost 45 minutes trying; that's maybe 20-50% of my total playing time for a week. And, if 20-30 of those minutes were simply spent repeating moves to reach a choice position, then that's a real waste of effort and time. So, maybe someone with gobs of free time can put in the time to optimise 20 scores a week, while I might barely manage 5. One failure of mine may be equivalent in value to 4 of someone else's. Is that a level playing field? Imagine your free time DROD allocation was reduced to 2-3 hours of DROD per week like mine (if it isn't that or lower already). Would you still argue that it is only fair to reward optimising players with enough time to repeat a lot of moves over and over?

We still haven't addressed whether the final goal is to find the optimal solution, to test the skill of the players, or to just showcase interesting techniques? In my mind, unlimited undo leans more towards the first, which leads to the question, why have highscores? Why not just a list of most efficient demos? As it stands, many solutions are already copies or near copies of each other (rather than being interesting and original demonstrations of technique) and this will only be magnified.
But would you not argue a highscore in a reasonably difficult room requires usage of an interesting or unusual technique to get it, which is therefore a test of application and understanding skill? Although all 20 of the #2s in a room may be identical, it doesn't mean that person 200 who attempts to go for a highscore (i.e. doesn't just copy a demo mindlessly) has necessarily seen the techniques used before. I often only watch the first critical 30-50% of a demo on my first viewing, so I don't have something to copy in my mind, and so I'm more likely to experiment, whether by accident or on purpose. Of course, it probably will make it problematic to find alternate solutions to a room in a demo, I agree, but then, unlimited undo may make it easier for you to recreate/rediscover them yourself.

Oh, and just in case I'm beginning to overdo this argument, I apologise in advance for it. All I want to do is state my view on this topic.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 02-19-2006 09:05 PM]
02-19-2006 at 07:40 PM
StuartK
Yes, I'll use a few restarts or checkpoints (and alot of undo key) before finishing the room, if I feel I can do better. So, all the existing restore/undo features are well used (though as time goes on, I can predict the outcome of a wider range of scenarios) Replaying sections doesn't bore me. I don't think I really remember 200 move sequences exactly, just the general outline (some kind of subconscious shorthand?) and it seems to more or less work out. 200 moves is usually rather less 'actions', and the individual actions can be varied (strategy and tactics again) This is going to sound a little pretentious, but it's also little like playing variations on a musical theme. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but with practice, you tend to hit the right notes more often.

If it's a difficult or long room (I'd say I'm an average to good puzzle solver, but certainly not the best - some rooms especially in holds like yours, have stumped me for a long time) I'll just try to finish it with any kind of score, and then restart to optimise/improve sometime later. These aren't my favourite to optimise though - nor do I think UU will help here either, they're just a little too complicated for me to fit in my head all in one go.

If I don't finish a room with a #1, I'll first have a look at the target score, which is often encouragement enough to find a better solution (400 moves less? how on earth did he do that? oh, maybe...)

Next, a look (like you) at a partial demo. Often enough, to indicate the first objective/the entrance to use.

Lastly, if I'm optimising a full demo, I'll view it and a few others looking for mistakes. Often demos further down the list can be interesting/revealing. Usually there are one or two mistakes, or ideas from multiple demos that can be amalgamated together. As an aside, I'd still love to be able to give credit where it's due, when I do this (perhaps by adding a comment, and a link to one or more 'parent' demos)

Another thing that'll happen with UU less - we won't have so much of the to-and-fro of bettering each others demos. Not that it happens often at the moment, as it's difficult to pinpoint the rooms I'm 'competing' with someone on. When it happens, I'd say it's the most fun I've had with DROD (taking turns kicking each other in the ego ;) ) barring the multiplayer we had a few months back...
02-19-2006 at 10:41 PM
agaricus5
StuartK wrote:
Yes, I'll use a few restarts or checkpoints (and alot of undo key) before finishing the room, if I feel I can do better. So, all the existing restore/undo features are well used (though as time goes on, I can predict the outcome of a wider range of scenarios) Replaying sections doesn't bore me. I don't think I really remember 200 move sequences exactly, just the general outline (some kind of subconscious shorthand?) and it seems to more or less work out. 200 moves is usually rather less 'actions', and the individual actions can be varied (strategy and tactics again) This is going to sound a little pretentious, but it's also little like playing variations on a musical theme. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but with practice, you tend to hit the right notes more often.
No, I see what you mean. You're saying that you can see what "looks" like it will work, and so you don't need to memorise your moves since you can guess which sort of moves to make. It's like moving north and then east having a similar effect to walking east and then north, so it might not matter how you do it. I prefer to do that too, which is why I haven't optimised my "A Quiet Place" scores yet, since, as you may know, most of the rooms require highly specific solutions.

Lastly, if I'm optimising a full demo, I'll view it and a few others looking for mistakes. Often demos further down the list can be interesting/revealing. Usually there are one or two mistakes, or ideas from multiple demos that can be amalgamated together. As an aside, I'd still love to be able to give credit where it's due, when I do this (perhaps by adding a comment, and a link to one or more 'parent' demos)
I think I see what you mean by commenting now (from earlier when I vaguely remember you saying something about commenting on interesting demos), and I agree with you. I've often found some #1 demos where my solution was very different to it, but it still came to the same move total, which might be interesting to discuss DRODistically. Also, I often find that if it happens, I can often use this to optimise a room (if it's not quite optimal), and so, sometimes I have wanted to be able to say that my demo was only better because I saw the improvement that the last person didn't.

It might be interesting if we had a board for this sort of discussion, although I don't know if it might end up being spoilerish, or if anyone would actually use it.

Another thing that'll happen with UU less - we won't have so much of the to-and-fro of bettering each others demos. Not that it happens often at the moment, as it's difficult to pinpoint the rooms I'm 'competing' with someone on. When it happens, I'd say it's the most fun I've had with DROD (taking turns kicking each other in the ego ;) ) barring the multiplayer we had a few months back...
Well, that's again a time issue. I always lost my to-and-fro battles because I never had the time to persist until the very end. UU might encourage me to take up a challenge if I noticed I had one (right now, I just ignore them if they're complicated, or I just did them). Nevertheless, I'm playing KDD 2.0 right now (On L8). Want a challenge? :)

02-20-2006 at 01:03 AM
StuartK
:) Added a couple of demos to level 8. It's still amazing to me that it's possible to go back to a hold I thought had been perfected, and knock another 20 moves off a demo that beat my previously 'perfect' demo by 20 moves itself. All credit to gumo for his solution for 3S1E. I feel a little guilty when I beat a first place that isn't by one of the usual suspects.

I think I noticed a small imperfection in Rabs solution for 2S2E. Far too late for me to test that now though.
02-20-2006 at 05:09 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
agaricus5, firstly, how does not have a subscription indicate that im interested in hiscores? you think i don't know myself?

and if it would take a supercomputer to optimise some of the levels, how the hell do you expect to optimise them, even with uu.

also, if you have a uu, does that mean that there will be unlimited redo?
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 01:15 AM]
02-20-2006 at 08:12 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
StuartK wrote:
Do you think it's possible your perspective is also skewed, because you've got such skill at the tactical side, that you find it trivial? Or that you've got such a skill at the strategic side, that you'd (subconsciously?) like to see the tactical side de-emphasised?
There can be a fine line between strategy and tactics. The part of the tactical side I consciously want de-emphasised is where monster movement order makes it next to impossible to plan moves ahead. I'm not talking about cases where only a few monsters are involved. Such cases can be very interesting, require understanding of monster behaviour, and UU won't make any difference. See e.g. Claythro Tower, Sixth storey, Entrance and 5W. Both rooms have unintended solutions that depend heavily on the interaction of a couple of tar babies. UU won't help anyone spot these approaches. Where UU is sorely needed is when optimising a room involving hordes. Take the example I gave before, JtRH L1 6N5W: Even if you knew the movement order, the problem of killing a roach on every move, starting as soon as possible, and ending next to the exit, is extremely complex. Solving this is a pure (boring) tree search, for which UU is only a useful tool. (And remember that tools are used with varying degrees of skill by different people. Also, I think you are overestimating the value of UU.) I don't like this sort of room, so I could stay away from them (although I can never resist what these rooms do offer: a simple proof of optimality if you do manage the above challenge), but similar situations (usually involving fewer monsters, but still a lot) often occur as part of an interesting room. DROD is not perfect. The movement order issue when relatively large numbers of monsters are involved is a fundamental problem (and Erik himself admits this). Put another way: The problem is that someone comes up with an interesting original approach to a room, gets the #1 score, only for someone else to grab it on an uninteresting technicality. UU will go a long way towards solving this problem. Another reason for UU is what agaricus5 already explained: When you have a choice between different approaches that appear to be equally good, and the best way to find out which is best is to try them all (always remembering that the different choices first have to be spotted).

[Last edited by michthro at 02-20-2006 09:46 AM]
02-20-2006 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
OK, these are very valid reasons, and I especially sympathise with the 'technicality' problem. My issue is still that UU is going to fundamentally change the nature of the game for me. Is it possible (and if mrimer is listening) to use some compromise suggestions?

1. UU only enabled in new holds (without this, the highscore table could as well just be reset)

2. Hold author has the option to disable it

3. Instead of UU, have a single, portable checkpoint. Can be placed anywhere & if it's set, undoing past it will return to the previous static checkpoint, or to the start of the room. Would still remain something of the element of tactics that exist now, and players could skip the boring bit, though they'd have to use more skill and care than just plain UU.
02-20-2006 at 12:16 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
StuartK wrote:
1. UU only enabled in new holds (without this, the highscore table could as well just be reset)
You are seriously over-estimating how much UU is going to effect things. Doomsday predictions were made when demos were made viewable, they were made again when we changed the scoring system. Those predictions didn't come to pass. The overall look of the score board isn't going to change; the top people will still be on top. UU is really only going to be an advantage in a comparitively small number of rooms.

With the conquerors only restriction people who can optimize well on their first run through have a huge advantage over those who wait until redoing the hold. While trial and error becomes more practical with UU it still isn't going to be a match for solid planning. The only substabtial change UU is going to make is eliminating the need for regurgitating long move sequences.
2. Hold author has the option to disable it
I'm completely against this. For high score purposes all rooms are created equal. I think it's a bad idea for authors to set restrictions on how high scores can be obtained in their holds.
3. Instead of UU, have a single, portable checkpoint. Can be placed anywhere & if it's set, undoing past it will return to the previous static checkpoint, or to the start of the room. Would still remain something of the element of tactics that exist now, and players could skip the boring bit, though they'd have to use more skill and care than just plain UU.
Actually, as far as I'm concerned this would be my first choice for a way of avoiding having to redo previous work.

02-20-2006 at 01:19 PM
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : unlimited undo
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com