Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Metroid - Recreation [TO DO: 0/7] (Log: V - 0.017 (21.06.2006) ## News: 14.09.2006 ## Game Version - 0.017 Alpha (22.06.2006))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged

File: metroid.sfx.exe (1 MB)
Downloaded 440 times.
License: Creative Commons
Uznanie autorstwaUżycie niekomercyjneBez utworów zależnych 2.5
icon Metroid - Recreation [TO DO: 0/7] (+3)  
*******NEW VERSION TO DO*******
1-Make new sword behaviour
2-Change the shooting behaviour
3-New and improved GFX
4-Engine change: Enemies
5-Engine change: Bullets
6-Engine change: Attacking
7-New level

News:
24.09.2006 - wow... I... I have nothing at my defence... I suck, I know :(. What can I say. Due to laziness, lack of time, and other things on my head I didn't done anything. I can't quite remember. I know that I've been constantly finishing my other project (which is finally done). Right now I'm not doing anything because I'm playing Metroid Fusion (On 1% challenge, for Nth time), and some other games... Well, I've just deleted all games I've been playing so more free time... DeiantART is also very absorbing. And, besides of that... I've been doing nothing. I've spent most of my time playing. Then DeviantART. And from time to time I've been working on my other Project... Geeze... I feel guilty. Another abandoned----.... Abandoned temporarily. And I wasn't around here for long time too. SO, sorry for all those, who've been waiting for the new version, or at least some info. I know I suck :selftwak :selftwak... And again I'm here only to say, that I suck, that I'm still alive, and that I will TRY to do something. But now, since the school is, I don't have too much time. At this point I would like to say: "I promise that I'll do something with this".... But I know myself and I know this isn't possible. I will work on it when I will be in mood. So, this is my short announcement:
If you are still waiting for the new version, and if you are waiting for it badly, you can PM me that you want to be notified when something new happens, and stop looking at this thread.

Ok, right now I have 20:59. I have to get up tomorrow at 6:00. RIGHT NOW, I will probably dig through my posts, make notes, and MAYBE I will do something (I have nothing to play, so...). But I don't promise anything. :selftwak

---------------------------------------------------

07.08.2006 - As you can see I've added the TO DO list. When all the points will be done, the new version will be released. Yup. The new level of course will be the last thing done. I've almost finished my other project, although I'm still looking for a good free hosting site :-). I've actually have ONE, but I must wait some time. So now I can focus on Metroid. I'm not sure what to do first. I have to do rather big engine change, so the game will work even faster ^^. Don't know what to write, so bye for now. I'll inform you of every one little thing I do :).

----------------------------------------
Few Words about project:
----------------------------------------

Top down Rogue-Drod-Metroidlike turn pseudo-rpg game. There will be Metroid-like skills (Beams, armours, turbos, jump power, Morph Ball, SPider Ball, and Few More...), put in Drod game system with very few RPG elements. In the first "Game Image" I thought there would be more RPG elemnts, like Weapons, Armours, Parameters (Strenght, agility...) but doing such things would drastically slow my work, So I decided to do the Game as I plan to do it now. When I finish the engine remaking, I will decide, what elements would be added. So for now the game is going to be nothing more than Top-down Turn-based Metroid. But just between us, after making what I want to do now, I will slowly work on this project, to convert it more into Rogue-like RPG (Maybe even someday I will do it Multi :D ). But I don't want to try reach too far places :).
--------------------------------------------------------------
A very basic description of how the engine works. Really basic..
--------------------------------------------------------------
This is a piece of stuff about how the engine in MetDROiD works:
It is very simple. The game is divided into five main "Object" groups. By Groups I mean the series of similiar variables such as:
-Level Var - The placement of all blocks
-Player Var - All player variables like position, parameters, weapon statistics, skills
-Enemy Var - All enemy variables like position, HP, movement type
-Player Bullet Var - All Bullet variable like position, bullet type
-Enemy Bullet Var - Same as above

So we have all the variables stored. Of course there are some other variables, which could be called Others. Now, the game works on this manner:
Wait for action select - You can select attack type, but pressing any move or rotate button causes turn to start.
Player Movement - first moves the player.
Player Attack - After moving attacking sequences start, and it consists of two things:
- Sword swinging - Sword is swinged, and at the same time hitting is calculated(if it occurs)
- Beam shooting - Only bullets are shot, and their further movement is calculated later
Player Bullets movement - Player bullets are calculated, and if hitting occurs it is also calculated. After hitting, the bullet is marked to be deleted
Beam rearrange - Deleting from the memory bullets mared with deteling, and pushing all the others on the free places.
Enemy movements and attacks - Enemy moves. Every enemy type moves with his own "AI". If attacking occures, then:
- Sword attack - calculated immediately
- Shoting - not done yet, but works on the same manner as player's
Enemy bullets move - not done yet, but works on the same manner as player's
Player's bullets check for collision - occurs only if some enemy was intelligent enough to go through the bullet. There is lower chance of hitting the enemy. (Not done yet)
Some very important calculations - Not done yet
Turn end - Ends the turn and returns to the first "point"

That is very basic description. I'm too lazy right now to make it wider.

------------------------------------------------------
The LOG
------------------------------------------------------
Version: 0.017:
-Jump Skill Finished
-Landing finished
-Done skill restrictions - Now you can't select (and use) skills which you don't have
-Cut the skills list for Turbos
-Wall jump skill finished
-Dying while standing on pit tiles finished
-Added player's moving effect
-Fixed some bugs with PLayer's bullets movement over pits
-Created first test level (!!!!)
-SECOND ALPHA RELEASE!!!!!

Version: 0.016:
-Fixed the bug: No more enemies will die without a reason and left an invisible solid wall under them
-Simple Messages System
-Fixed bug: When bullet misses enemy the Enemy Square is changed into the Floor Square.

Version: 0.015:
-First Alpha release
-Done player movement
-Done mouse selecting
-Done sword swinging
-Done hitting enemies by sword
-Done shotting with beam
-Done hitting enemies with beam
-Done beam movement
-Enemy movement code activated and slightly changed
-Some majo and minor bug fixes
-Added particle effect
-Added enemy hp bar
-Added player hp bar
-Added game restart when enemy falls to zero

Version: 0.013:
-Complete Engine Re-Coding

Version: 0.013a 24.02.2006:
-Added Panel Graphic
-Level size now fills the indicated space.

Version: 0.012 02.02.2006:
-Added enemy parameters Atack & Defence
-New attack system includes Atack & Defence parameters
-Upgraded attack system, now player is not killing instantly, but rather takes enemy hp

Version: 0.011 01.02.2006:
-Added player parameters

Version: 0.010 31.01.2006:
-Slight System modifications
-Enemy Movement system updated to be capable of handling with as much as you want movement types and different speeds
-Hp and Maxhp variables added to player and enemies
-Added very basic Enemy Attacking system (NEEDS CHANGE AND IS ONLY FOR FUN ;-D )

[Last edited by skell at 09-24-2006 08:04 PM]
02-01-2006 at 10:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: MetDROiD - Metroid in DROD's climates... (0)  
Well... what can I say about this project. Master stroke :thumbsup

I tried my best creating Metroid in the DROD environent, but found there were a lot of constraints.

I will look forward to this with great anticipation!!!

Just a couple of comments I have to give.
A "Laser pointer" could be called "Tracking/Guidance System"
The three-way shot in Metroid was called a "Spazer"

Good luck!

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
02-01-2006 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: MetDROiD - Metroid in DROD's climates in Game Maker's Array... (0)  
I'll be waiting for this too!
02-06-2006 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Well... umm... How to say this... I managed to so the new version... and it is fully playable (alpha)... and... Umm... please look at the first post, if you are interested... :D

[Last edited by skell at 04-10-2006 05:23 PM]
04-10-2006 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
It looks good, I can't seem to move, or see Samus, but it looks good!
04-10-2006 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Heh. Ok. So you play that white human-like thing (theese are temporary graphics). You start near the middle of the left border. You move using numpad, turn using "Q" & "W", and there are weapons already done. Sword swinging and beam shooting. Select with mous,e at the left panel, at the very down, you will see those icons. You should recognize them :D. So that's all I think. If any error pops just follow the instructions in the game info at the beginning. If you will see some bug, just tell me what is wrong, and describe what you've done, which weapon you had selected, what move you did, how many enemies were around etc. :D

04-10-2006 at 07:35 PM
Ezlo
Okay, now that I can do stuff, I like it!
04-10-2006 at 07:58 PM
skell
icon Re: MetDROiD - First Playable (0.015 Alpha) Version!! (0)  
Thanks for good words :D. As I "Newsed" I will try to start works now (After playing). And I realy would appreciate any kind of support :).

04-15-2006 at 11:48 AM
John259
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: MetDROiD - First Playable (0.015 Alpha) Version!! (+1)  
Here's a first attempt at some instructions for MetDroid. I make no apology if any of the following states the blindingly obvious. I do apologise if it contains any errors or serious omissions. Hope it helps a little. - John

Installation
------------

Extract the contents of the distribution file (MetDROiD.zip) to form the target file (MetDROiD.exe). Move the target file to any desired folder, for example C:\\Program Files\\MetDroid, and manually create any desired shortcuts. When run, the program stores a SAV saved game file to the same folder.

Usage
-----

A copy of the manual for the original Metroid game is available at http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/m1/m1manual.txt . This contains background information and some information regarding gameplay.

Some background information on the original Metroid game and its sequels can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid. However, at present this Wikipedia article does not include any information about actual gameplay.

When MetDROiD.exe is run, a Readme text file is displayed. Close the Readme file's window to start the game proper.

Characters
----------

You are the white character. You can move in any direction. You will shoot in the direction of the small black semicircle that forms part of your character icon.

The other characters are monsters that must be killed.

The horizontal red bar below each character icon, including your own character, indicates its current strength.

Objective
---------

Kill all the monsters. If you run out of strength before you kill all the monsters then you lose.

At present the game only has one level. Presumably when other levels are created, completing each level will automatically lead to the next.

Keyboard Controls
-----------------

ESC
Quit game.

F1 or F2
Display readme (close window to return to the game).

F4
Toggle full screen/windowed.

Numeric keypad
Move or fire. When your strength is low you will not fire on every turn.

Q and W
Rotate. You will shoot in the direction of the small black semicircle that forms part of your character icon.

Mouse Operations
----------------

To select a weapon, click one of the icons in the lefthand vertical panel. At the current stage of development only the bottom three weapons are implemented.

To move without firing, select any of the non-operative weapons.

It would appear that all weapons have unlimited ammunition. This might vary in future versions.

05-12-2006 at 11:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
I'm impressed :). But a little correction:
You attack every turn and the HP (Strength) has nothing to do with it :)

Well, thanks for that, I hope it will motivate me a bit, because due to some ekhm... heart problems... um I don't mean this, I mean that, err... how to say that... Uh, I hope you understand. But well, um, uh, there are definitively 0% percent of Happy Ending, and it takes my mind a bit. Uh... I know I keep doing excuses, but uh... Doh, unlucky me :unsure.

Well I should better just get to work and try to do something.

05-13-2006 at 04:56 PM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Hail, fellow Game Maker user!
I could help in developing.

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 05-19-2006 04:29 PM]
05-19-2006 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Insane wrote:
Hail, fellow Game Maker user!
I could help in developing.

Well, actuall I don't need any help :). More than that I would need a motivation. What could it be? Umm... Ekhm... Uh... Well... Ymm... uh, no matter. It is impossible to be done... :no......... :shifty - But I don't believe in it.

05-19-2006 at 04:54 PM
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
Nice. This looks like it could be really interesting. I look forward to the finished thing! :thumbsup

Oh, and Yay! A GM user!
05-20-2006 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Metroid - Recreation -- New version 0.017 Alpha (+1)  
*Bumps*

Just wanted to say that new version is DONE!

And btw, I'm not sure whether some other people than me has that long License text which changes my first post (makes it be less wide). If yes, then if this is possible I would ask somebody to change it. But if not then no...

In other words:

Have a nice playing and

ps, read the news on the first post if you haven't done it already...

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:43 PM : Going to the keep]
06-22-2006 at 09:17 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Metroid - Recreation -- New version 0.017 Alpha (0)  
Erm, that was interesting... I think... Yay!!!

It took me some time to figure out what to do... Well, it wasn't very clear at all.

Oh, and I like that effect that happens when you move, although I'm not sure how the sword should work...

And, if you are working on the "Visual side" of the game, try to use a bit more colours ;)

PS. Anything happens when all those thingys are dead?

06-27-2006 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
Um, I jump onto the black squares, then on the third one I die. Any pointers?

Otherwise, this is making great progress! I look forward to the finished thing!
07-31-2006 at 05:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Atkins, due to my laziness, I was too lazy to put all info together and so now you may encounter things, which for the first look might appear as at least strange XD. (hint hint: Try to do some wall jumping! Remember you are wall-sliding!)

Well, anyway, I'm bored with... wait a second, bad word. I'm TIRED of playing DROD. I can't find any hold which would be easy enough to not make me spend hours in one room, and hard enough to bring some challenge. I have really no other good games, so I've decided: THE TIME HAS COME TO TURN ON GAMEMAKER AND WORKWORKWORKWORKWORK, YAAAY!

So I have something to say:
As Tim have pointed, the Sword has really no unique use. And I thought: "Crap... Crapcrapandcrap... He is right! Although I'd be really glad if he wasn't right, but hell HE IS!" And then I was wondering: "Ok then, if the sword is a crap, then let us make something unique." And after that I've noticed: "What the...?! The game is a bit too roguelike-like rather than DROD-like. Hmm, let's see. In DROD we have than shiny big and nice sword sticking from the Player. Why not be the big plagiarist and do the same---! .... I CANT MAKE IT THE SAME! Although I can consider it as a base to my thoughts." And then I was wondering from time to time "Ughlblbulbublaghyluklubububluklu... GRRRRR!!! How, hOw, hoW, HoW, HOo,hOW , how.... HOW!!!??!?!?!?!?"

And now I've came with: "Why not be even bigger plagiarist and take one idea from Roguelikes?"! Ha ha HA!

So... It will be hard to describe for me but well...

As everyone knows in Metroid we can do two actions at one turn. We can do Move Action [MA] (Move, turn, jump) and Attack Action [AA] (Shoot). I'm thinking: "Why not separate the sword attacking and shooting into two different things?" So I've came with something totally new. Actually, my ideas are totally degrouped, and Total Chaos rules among their order O:-. In other words... No matter, just look.

MOVING AND SHOOTING - TURNS ORDER:

-Keep it as it is, so you can shoot and move in one turn:
Good: You can do multiple actions (Easier, easier *wink*)
Bad: Is not too handy for player
-Make it that you can either move or shoot/attack:
Good: Handy!
Bad: Harder. And a bit unlogical - how is it that you can attack while moving?? It's not a commercial production XD

I would like to keep it as it is, but if I will decide it is too unhandy, I will change it. Or make more handy system XD.

SHOOTING:
- I want to make ability to shoot in all directions, not in the one you are facing. In other words, you can shot south, while facing north, at it won't take a turn.
- I'm also wondering if I want to make a mouse targetting (it will include infinite diorcetions :) . However along with the "First move and then shoot" it will make aimless shoots (You will aim perfectly, but because you moved before shooting, the bullet will hit the wall). And besides mouse targetting would lead to "hard to predict where it will land" shoots, which is not desired.

SWORD:
- I want to make sword a bit like in DROD. It's position will depend on the hit range. So if your sword attack range would be one square (in front of the player) it would be positioned NW. If it would be three squares in front od of player it would be W. And after every swing it would return to original position.
- I'm wondering whether the sword should stop enemies or not. I'm looking forward to see your propostions.

Ok, that's all. I can't write too much 'cause my Bro want's comp.

I'm looking forward top see your opinions!!! ;)

07-31-2006 at 08:28 PM
skell
Ok. Now I have more time to say what I want. But unfortunately I have no idea what to say :/.

Anyway, more about the sword.

I want to make it different, as I've pointed in my previous post. So the sword will be like in DROD. It will stick from the player. It's position will depend on the direction you are facing (Like in DROD - sword is always in front of you) and on the sword attack width (The number of squares you can attack, which goes like that:

,X/ XXX XXX XXX
.P. ,P- XPX XPX
... ... ,.\ X|X

Where:
X - squares which your attack affects
P - Player (Facing north)
. - empty square
, - square where the sword MAY end if it won't return to the basic position after swinging
/,-,\,| - Sword positions

When you will attack, the sword will go (in one turn of course) through all squares marked with X, and return to the basic position, or go to the new position marked with ",". The good side of the first thing is that it is easy to do. The bad side, it looks kinda odd, and unlogical (hint, hint - try to swing something - after swinging it won't return to the basic position XD). The good about the second is it's normality. The bad side, how it would affect the monsters, which would stay on the new position.

In other words, let's say, that monsters stays on the square marked with ",". I swing. And the sword goes to him. Now four things can happen, depending on one other thing:
- It may leave the enemy as he is, without harming him
- It may hurt him and leave him
- It may push him without hurting.
- It may hurt AND push him.

However how the pushing will work, when you will be surrounded by enemies?

The other big question is: How the "static" sword would affect enemies? Should it work like in DROD - stop enemies from standing on that square - or let them stand on it? If I will let them stand on it, then while swinging should I hurt the enemy standing at the Sword's square or not?
How should the sword affect enemies when I will move, and the sword will enter the square occupied by enemy? SHould it hurt him? Should it push him? If push, then what about the situation when it is not possible to push him? Maybe the sword should stay at this square hurting him every turn, or no - not hurt?

Well, I'm really looking forward to see your opionions, because I want to continue my work, and I want to know what you think, to see other ideas, to be able to select the best one ;). You have chance to dramaticaloly change the gameplay :). I'll be happy to hear from you!!!

08-01-2006 at 01:19 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
skell wrote:
So I have something to say:
As Tim have pointed, the Sword has really no unique use. And I thought: "Crap... Crapcrapandcrap... He is right! Although I'd be really glad if he wasn't right, but hell HE IS!"
:D

Oh, and happy birthday...
08-01-2006 at 10:53 PM
skell
I can't say why, but I was excepting more... Satisfying reply :).

But thanks anyway ;).

08-01-2006 at 11:52 PM
skell
Wow, second double post in few days. Well, that's mine dev. topic so I hope you will forgive me :).

So, as no one showed any interest in the development (Read: No one decided to help me WITH development) I've decided to work it out for myself. And that's what I've come with:

1. Until the engine is finished I will leave it as it is.
2. I'm going to do independant targetting. So you can shot south with beam while facing north, and shoot east even if you've shot west one turn ago.
3. The sword will be like I said - like in DROD, sticking from the player. Actually I'm planning to up two squares long sword (however no monster killing through walls ;)). The sword will stop enemy movement, unless the enemy is stupid enough to walk on it. If you will move/turn, and the sword will lay on the enemy's square, the enemy will be attacked. He *should* move away from that square (unkless he is a moron), but if he won't do that, he will get hurt every turn. Sword swinging will hurt enemies excluding the starting position, and including the end position:

.***.
.*P*.
./.\.
p-player
\-sword starting position (enemies standing here will not get hurt while swinging)
*-squares affected by the sword swinging (enemies get hurt here)
/-sword end position (enemies standing here will get hurt)

Understandable? I hope so.

So that's all. I'll get to work in few days/ Now I'm finishing my other game. Really! If evertyhing goes fine, it will be before the end of the week. Next week :). But maybe even in this week? But only if I'll have enough time... Not much work left ;). I'll drop the link when It'll be ready ;).

See you all! And do replies, or send me PMs - I want to know whether anyone is still interested with this or not!:bounce

08-04-2006 at 10:48 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Metroid - Recreation [TO DO: 0/7] (Log: V - 0.017 (21.06.2006) ## News: 14.09.2006 ## Game Version - 0.017 Alpha (22.06.2006))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com