Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Exporting demo and CaravelNet interference
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
IP: Logged

File: KDD20 Eighth Level 3S1E Victory.demo (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Exporting demo and CaravelNet interference (0)  
I have had trouble exporting demos recently (I'm still on a Debian-based Linux-powered 2.0.12-proof DROD). The two behaviours reported below may or may not be related; I'm none too sure about what is actually happening.

- I tried to export a demo for a hold in beta-testing, and while the export worked fine, the demo could not be imported (the "You don't have this hold or it comes from a previous version" message). As it happens, the hold had been updated, but my demo had been recorded under the latest version.

The player (Tim) said that the demo actually appeared to belong to someone else; and indeed there were two demos for this room on CaravelNet, both of which had been recorded under the previous version. I'm quite confident I did not select either of the CaravelNet demos for export, or even highlighted them (though I cannot be sure of that one), and neither of them was on my computer to begin with. Exporting demos straight from CaravelNet should not be possible, but I suspect CaravelNet nonetheless interfered with my exporting.

I then turned off CaravelNet, so no other demo appeared in the demo windows, and exported my own demo again. This time the demo seems to be working outside my own computer. So, CaravelNet appears to be the culprit.

- Earlier in the day, I exported a KDD 2.0 demo, which also failed to work properly for someone else. I also failed to import a demo supposedly recorded under KDD 2.0 by someone else (Stigant's), though it ought to have worked. The thread with relevant demos is here .

A decoy demo recorded in the Entrance of Rooted Hold, level 1, did work, but if this problem is linked to the first one, it was not much of a proof. This problem could be related to the various versions of KDD released instead. Still, I have attached yet another demo for the same room of KDD 2.0 as was troublesome in the thread, this time with CaravelNet turned off.

I will attach two other files below, both from the same room of CaravelNet, one with the thing turned off, and the other with CaravelNet being activated. Could someone please let me known which one(s), if any, work on their computer? Thanks!
01-15-2006 at 09:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan

File: JtRH Second Level 2S1E Victory.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
icon Re: Exporting demo and CaravelNet interference (0)  
CaravelNet enabled demo for Rooted Hold, level 2, 2S 1E.
01-15-2006 at 09:30 AM
Alneyan

File: JtRH Second Level 2S1E Victories.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
CaravelNet disabled demo of same.
01-15-2006 at 09:31 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I have downloaded the last 2 demos, and I can say they are the same.
The player (Tim) said that the demo actually appeared to belong to someone else; and indeed there were two demos for this room on CaravelNet, both of which had been recorded under the previous version.
I can also say that the version I got was from a previous version. I can tell this because the level name had been changed in the meantime.

-- Tim
01-15-2006 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Exporting demo and CaravelNet interference (+1)  
Alneyan, the two attached files are actually the same byte-for-byte. So either you accidentally attached a wrong file or the differences in behavior have to do with something on the playing end.

I was able to import and play the demo. The author showed as "Alneyan".

-Erik

01-19-2006 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Comparing file sizes is all too obvious, Erik. Surely you should use more complicated schemes? I really *am* a master of the oblivious.

It does look like the bug was not quite related to CaravelNet, or other conditions are needed for it to appear (it could have been a beta-hold related glitch, a problem with the name I gave the demo, linked to highlighting by mistake Wallu's demo that was on CaravelNet, an OS thingy, something linked to having a demo for an outdated version on CaravelNet, or...).

And now I realise something: there actually were two demos from Wallu, one recorded under the latest version and on CaravelNet, but also another one right on my computer from a past version. So, I suspect the problem had nothing to do with CaravelNet, but was rather linked to an in-game glitch.

I'm confident I exported the right file, as it had the right name , and there were twenty other demos between mine and Wallu's (so it could not have been a stray click). I do not have any brilliant, albeit wrong, theory now, so this should be left aside as inconclusive, until another occurrence of this behaviour arises.
01-19-2006 at 10:10 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Alneyan wrote:
Comparing file sizes is all too obvious, Erik. Surely you should use more complicated schemes? I really *am* a master of the oblivious.

I don't think he compared file size. He ran some sort of comparison program that told him that not only there is the same amount of bytes, but that they are indeed the same (which is why he said "byte by byte" - every byte was compared).

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-19-2006 10:26 PM]
01-19-2006 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Exporting demo and CaravelNet interference (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
I don't think he compared file size. He ran some sort of comparison program that told him that not only there is the same amount of bytes, but that they are indeed the same (which is why he said "byte by byte" - every byte was compared).
Yep, that's what I did, in fact. The files are absolutely identical.

Except one smells slightly different. Kinda chocolatey.

-Erik

01-20-2006 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
ErikH2000 wrote:
Except one smells slightly different. Kinda chocolatey.
Whoops... that must've been me. I promise I won't download attachments anymore when I'm eating chocolate...

:lol

01-20-2006 at 07:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Exporting demo and CaravelNet interference
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com