Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lendy's Dungeon (5 Levels)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.4/10 (21 votes)
σ 1.79
Author Name:Dali
Submitted By:Dali
Hold Name:Lendy\'s Dungeon
Theme:5 Levels
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:74
Number of Monsters:851
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:7 (+7 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Lendy\'s Dungeon.hold (36.6 KB)
Downloaded 2815 times.
License: Other
icon Lendy's Dungeon  
Here's my new dungeon.
Not very hard and I hope entertaining.
Enjoy.
01-06-2006 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Lendy's Dungeon (0)  
Don't be fooled by "not very hard". :-) Although this is somewhat easier than the version posted to the holds board--indeed, somewhat more possible, unless there's a (very hard) way to solve L4, 2E without those two extra rock golems.

But: how do you actually exit level 4?
01-09-2006 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
Tahnan wrote:
Don't be fooled by "not very hard". :-) Although this is somewhat easier than the version posted to the holds board--indeed, somewhat more possible, unless there's a (very hard) way to solve L4, 2E without those two extra rock golems.

But: how do you actually exit level 4?

It is possible to complete 2E without the 2 extra golems?

For the exit, you must go back to the entrance room.

01-10-2006 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Dali wrote:
It is possible to complete 2E without the 2 extra golems?

Not that I know of. I was utterly baffled by that room until I downloaded the updated hold. But I thought there was something I was missing.

And:
For the exit, you must go back to the entrance room.

Yes, but how? There are force arrows keeping you from going back north from 1S.
01-11-2006 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Huh. I got stuck on the first level.

Do 1S2E before 2E, leave through the north, and you ain't getting back, jack.
01-11-2006 at 07:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Banjooie wrote:
Huh. I got stuck on the first level.

Do 1S2E before 2E, leave through the north, and you ain't getting back, jack.

Ooops. I can see how that happened, yeah. Maybe a northwest-pointing arrow in place of the wall at (24,22)?
01-11-2006 at 08:27 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Lendy's Dungeon (+1)  
This is really a very good hold. Lots of interesting original ideas, only a few rooms I find a bit tedious, but that's a matter of taste; all in all an entertaining and challenging hold. As Tahnan said, don't be fooled by "not very hard" - some of the rooms are quite tricky. Thanks Dali. Hope to see more from you.

About exiting level 4, I don't think it's possible,
Click here to view the secret text

01-11-2006 at 09:21 AM
Dali

Thanks michthro! I'm glad that you enjoyed my hold.
Well even if there's some tricky rooms, that wasn't my intention. I will apreciate that you tell me which ones.

I'll fix the arrows blocking in the fourth level, I saw it before but I forgot to remove them.

Hope to see more from you.

You'll see, don't worry... I'll start working on a huge dungeon after this month contest finishes.
01-11-2006 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Hey, I wasn't complaining about the tricky rooms, Dali. Those are my favourites. Since you ask, rooms I found quite difficult are L3:4N1W (that one had me stumped for a long time), L3:3N1W (took me a while, though I was making a silly mistake), L3:1S1W
L5:2N (the trapdoor puzzle isn't easy, and having the Slayer around doesn't help). Most of the orb puzzles also aren't all that easy to figure out. But again, I like the level of difficulty :)
01-11-2006 at 01:39 PM
Dali
michthro wrote:
Hey, I wasn't complaining about the tricky rooms, Dali. Those are my favourites. Since you ask, rooms I found quite difficult are L3:4N1W (that one had me stumped for a long time), L3:3N1W (took me a while, though I was making a silly mistake), L3:1S1W
L5:2N (the trapdoor puzzle isn't easy, and having the Slayer around doesn't help). Most of the orb puzzles also aren't all that easy to figure out. But again, I like the level of difficulty :)

L3 1S 1W: I guess you meant 1W.

L3 3N 1W: That's strange, I thaught that this room was quite easy. there are even 2 or 3 possibilities to complete this room. Well I think.

L5 2N: Yes, I admit that this room was quite tricky, it was as you said to make the fifth level quite harder; even if there's in this level 4 rooms.

L3 4N 1W: This one also must be tricky. But I find it fun.
01-11-2006 at 04:36 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Great hold!

The rooms are interesting and fairly challenging. I tested this hold, but it was fun enough that I still enjoyed replaying it once it was released.
01-11-2006 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
larrymurk wrote:
Great hold!

The rooms are interesting and fairly challenging. I tested this hold, but it was fun enough that I still enjoyed replaying it once it was released.

Thanks again Larrymurk!
I'm actually building another dungeon. a big one.
I hope it will be better than this one.
01-14-2006 at 07:51 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Dali wrote:
I'm actually building another dungeon. a big one.
I hope it will be better than this one.
Say, would you mind fixing the stairs on level 4 first? ;)

I've just completed the hold anyway, but having to use the warp room just doesn't feel right... :D

Still a great hold, though. :thumbsup

np: AGF/Delay - Explode Baby (Explode)

01-14-2006 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dali

I wanted to uptade the hold but it tells me there's an error.
I don't know why.
01-15-2006 at 10:54 AM
Briareos
Dali wrote:
I wanted to uptade the hold but it tells me there's an error.
I don't know why.
Ummm... seems to have worked for me, at least.

Thanks again, anyway... :)

np: Luomo - Class (Vocalcity)

01-15-2006 at 12:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Works for me too. Damn! Why are everybody so good at building dungeons? I too thought that the last level was quite tricky. My only complaint is that some of the rooms where a bit (in my opinion) needlessly repetitive (like rooms with lots of tar to clear). Anyway... I enjoyed the hold. Good work! :)
01-15-2006 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Good hold! Tricky, but not ridiculously impossible. There were a couple of hard rooms I had to "sleep on." But for the most part, the difficulty was hard medium to medium hard. Level 4 was my favorite level. Some of the slayer puzzles on 5 were fun also. Its rare to see good slayer puzzles outside of JtRH. But I was never bored on any level. There's a good mix of themes.

Looking forward to your next one.

PS: There wasn't a master door was there? I finished all the secret rooms. So that was the one let down.

01-16-2006 at 10:45 PM
Dali
I see that my hold is entertaining. Really Happy to see this.

My only complaint is that some of the rooms where a bit (in my opinion) needlessly repetitive
I agree with this.
Its rare to see good slayer puzzles outside of JtRH.
I'm suprised with that! I really thaught that these puzzles wouldn't be so good.
There wasn't a master door was there? I finished all the secret rooms. So that was the one let down.
No there wasn't. Maybe there was, but I don't remember.
I'll maybe add one, not sure.

Well for the next hold, I think there will be 10 levels with at least 15 rooms for each level and actually I have completed just 2 Levels. :?

[Last edited by Dali at 01-17-2006 10:49 AM]
01-17-2006 at 10:22 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I'm suprised with that! I really thaught that these puzzles wouldn't be so good.
In general, there a few types of puzzles with the slayer:

1. Keep the slayer busy while you accomplish something else in the room. This is the most common use of the slayer in other dungeons, and is typically very tedious. You end up tracing long paths for his wisp so that he'll run around pointlessly while you drop trap doors, kill off tar/mud etc. Rooms 1N and 2N are this type of room, but if you use your head in these rooms (specifically 2N), you can avoid a large amount of the tedium of running away from the slayer.

2. Use the slayer to accomplish an otherwise impossible task. Example: use the slayer to kill off a 4x2 bit of tar, or use the slayer to kill/block an unreachable enemy. These are a bit more difficult to design, but they're alot more fun to play. 4N (I think - the one with the single roach that you release and he gets trapped in an arrowed-in area) does this well. Its simple; not the hardest room in the hold. But you had to think carefully and time everthing just right.

3. Trap the slayer so that he can't get to you. You had one of these as well (I think it was 4N1W or somewhere). This was probably the weakest of the rooms in the level, but its not bad.

[Last edited by stigant at 01-17-2006 03:49 PM]
01-17-2006 at 03:48 PM
Dali
Say, for the Entrance of the 3rd level, can someone tell me who is saying ''this must be a tar and mud level''?
I think it's Halph, because I was replaying the hold a suddenly I saw Halph talking. Now I fixed it in my hold.
01-21-2006 at 02:36 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Lendy's Dungeon (+2)  
Great hold! Some puzzles here are quite difficult, some are only difficult. A few had me scratching my head for quite a while (thinking, that is...nothing wrong with my shampoo).

I finally found the last secret room after far too much searching, so finally mastered it.

I give it an 8 with 7.5 brains.

Josh

11-14-2006 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gregxyz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
I'm still somewhat new around here, so I hope this isn't a naive observation, but I downloaded the file here and I received it as a file named "getattachment" -- no extension or anything. After I renamed the file, it worked just fine. Only the file name was weird.

Greg
11-26-2006 at 06:55 AM
Briareos
gregxyz wrote:
I'm still somewhat new around here, so I hope this isn't a naive observation, but I downloaded the file here and I received it as a file named "getattachment" -- no extension or anything. After I renamed the file, it worked just fine. Only the file name was weird.
What did you download it with?

The page you download it from is called getattachment.php, but it sends an HTTP header that gives the browser the correct filename to use. Of course, this won't work if your browser (or download manager) doesn't handle it correctly...

np: Robert Henke - Layer 010 (Layering Buddha)

11-26-2006 at 11:52 AM
PMIT
Rank Points: 159
icon Re: Lendy's Dungeon (+3)  
This is a very good monster manipulation and lynchpin hold with a consistent difficulty curve that starts around medium and gradually edges closer to upper medium by the end.

Level 1 starts out with puzzles centered around some of the most basic DROD elements, and each level after that adds a few more to the mix. In fact, I'd say that Levels 1 and 2 were probably my favorites; the elements used were limited and focused enough that it felt like a satisfyingly thorough exploration of their potential when used together. Level 4 adds a number of extra elements, and while none of the rooms with them are bad, none of them are given the level of attention that those introduced in the first two levels were which left me slightly disappointed. Level 5 had some nice slayer rooms, and though it too felt slightly underutilized, it was clearly meant to be a slightly harder conclusion to the hold, and I can't fault it for that.

Level 3, which is focused on tar and mud, was probably the weakest overall, with more rooms that test your ability to clear a lot of tarstuff and rooms that require you to guide a bit of mud or tar for hundreds of turns to a far off area of the room. Even if a few rooms here were a little tedious, it didn't bother me that much, it's just that many rooms on this level didn't feel like they fit with the types of monster manipulation rooms used elsewhere.

There were some rooms in the hold that had you complete part of a room in a different way before you could gain access to an entrance where you could clear the room, and I enjoyed these rooms a lot. On the other hand, there's a required room in level 3 that could very easily cause some backtracking issues, because you need to do a 'clear room, cut tar to unclear it, and leave' trick to reach it. There's a KDD Level 8 style warning about it, but even so it bothers me even if I figured it out puzzle quickly enough and enjoyed it. There's also points where better placed green doors would;ve allow you to avoid redoing dropping some trapdoors or orb puzzles should you need to backtrack, and checkpoints could've been a little less scarce, but I don't think any of these issues detract from the hold significantly enough.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hold, and I think it might be a good choice for someone who finished JtRH and is looking for something slightly harder that builds on the skills they learned in there. :)

07-19-2013 at 06:08 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Lendy's Dungeon (+2)  
This was a really good hold. Elements are used in creative ways that I haven't seen in other JtRH era holds, and a number of the rooms were set up to look like they should be solved in one way that actually turned out to be impossible. Figuring out what you could do differently from the telegraphed solution was almost always an interesting process.

Highly recommended for people wanting to try something different from modern holds.

My main criticism of this hold is that the difficulty curve seems negative. The first two levels were a bit harder than anything that came after them in my opinion.

05-29-2021 at 12:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lendy's Dungeon (5 Levels) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com