Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New hold: The Dreaming
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged

File: The Dreaming.hold (4.3 KB)
Downloaded 253 times.
License: Other
icon New hold: The Dreaming (0)  
UPDATE 10/30/03: 1E and 1N have been updated and are now incorporated into my main hold, Treasure Hunt. This hold will be kept around for posterity, but I will no longer be updating it. Just for my curiosity's sake, there were 49 downloads at the time of this update.

Rather ostentatiously named, I know. Deal with it.

The first floor is basically just me trying out various ideas I have mentioned before. Not too hard, but I think they are somewhat interesting. Later perhaps I will incorporate them into a larger hold, but this is what I was able to do today.

I hope that you all enjoy it.

This was made in Build 26, by the way.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 10-31-2003 at 07:37 AM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-11-2003 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: New hold: The Dreaming (0)  
Hmm...I don't think there's a way to solve 1E as of now...you may want to check your door/orb relations.

07-11-2003 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Well, I just solved it in the real game and saved a demo...I can e-mail it to you if you wish. Could there be a difference between builds 26 and 27 that could cause orbs to dissociate? I was waiting for 28 to upgrade...

Well, if you still can't solve it, you can ask me which orbs you think don't work and I can check it out.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-11-2003 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Definately solvable in version 27. I got into a rut on 1 east. That is a most excellent puzzle Oneiromancer. I think probably the best yet.
07-11-2003 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Thanks! Therefore...I stumped Zex! Woo-hoo! One point for me!

Of course, his hold is more than 3 times my size, so he is very far ahead. :D

Game on,

07-11-2003 at 06:24 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Finished your hold. My thoughts...

Click here to view the secret text

Some ideas of your intended solutions would be interesting here, so we can tighten up the level somewhat.

But yeah, it's a lot better than my hold.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 07-11-2003 at 10:33 AM GMT: Secret tags! Goddamn 'em.]

07-11-2003 at 11:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Thanks, Matt. Here are my thought processes for creating this level:

I think I will release rooms in short bursts like this, to try out my ideas and get feedback, before expanding upon them in a full-blown dungeon. I definitely like trying out new ways of solving old puzzles.

Thanks for the feedback!

Game on,

07-11-2003 at 05:03 PM
Snicker
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
Gah! 1E was a real pain until I figured out the trick of it. Good puzzle, although as others stated, the tar doesn't add much.

1S is another good room, and would be a great addition to any tar-based level.

The others are excellent usage of the properties of brains. Fascinating, really, though 1N was very easy for me since I already knew the secret.

[Edited by Snicker on 07-11-2003 at 06:10 PM]
07-11-2003 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: New hold: The Dreaming (0)  
Snicker wrote:
Gah! 1E was a real pain until I figured out the trick of it. Good puzzle, although as others stated, the tar doesn't add much.

Perhaps when I split this concept into multiple rooms I will make one more based on tar, and take it out of this room

Well, yes, that was the point...think outside the box! :D

1S is another good room, and would be a great addition to any tar-based level.

Well, a slight disagreement on that from some other people...it could be improved a bit for sure.

The others are excellent usage of the properties of brains. Fascinating, really, though 1N was very easy for me since I already knew the secret.

Well, actually, I didn't know what would happen with 1N until I built it...

Thanks for playing and commenting!

Game on,

07-11-2003 at 08:49 PM
Snicker
Rank Points: 30
That is actually what I did to solve that level.

07-11-2003 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388

Matt

07-12-2003 at 03:35 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: New hold: The Dreaming (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:

Game on,

07-12-2003 at 05:00 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Well, now that I can play this hold I can give you some feedback...

"Oook!"
07-14-2003 at 06:32 PM
The_Lucky_Mutt
Rank Points: 35
I have to say I really enjoyed east... I must have come to the conclusion that something was wrong at least 8 times (these user built holds make it so much easier to shift the blame). Good job.

-TLM
08-13-2003 at 01:03 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New hold: The Dreaming
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com