Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Wrong Way (One Room Hold Mini Contest)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged

File: The Wrong Way3.hold (152.3 KB)
Downloaded 140 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The Wrong Way (+2)  
Here's the hold!

Poll up soon!

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-19-2005 12:59 PM]
11-19-2005 at 08:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The Wrong Way (+1)  
Some problems with the hold:

The stairs that should lead to "Monster Traffic", end the hold.
You can conquer the level selection room of "Way to go?" before conquering the room itself because of the returning stairs in that room.
11-19-2005 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
icon Re: The Wrong Way (0)  
That's odd - the stairs are right in my copy. :/
Re-exported and uploaded - it hopefully should be fixed now.

The Way to Go author can send me a fix (or fix instructions) if they like. Until then, everyone is on the honour system.
11-19-2005 at 11:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
The stairs to Monster Traffic are still ending the hold for me... :?
11-19-2005 at 11:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
ok, tested on another computer. ye olde "delete ye stairs ande replace theme" trick seems to have worked.

Or has it?!? :-O
11-19-2005 at 12:26 PM
Doom
Eh, are sure that the exit room behind the blue door isn't marked as required?

I've cleared all 8 entries, but the blue door is still there.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Doom at 11-19-2005 01:02 PM : updated the secret text]
11-19-2005 at 12:49 PM
Rabscuttle
:selftwak

Um... it's a subtle self-referential-type joke?

Should be fixed now. Just as long as all entries are reachable. I'm going home and to bed.

If it still doesn't work, then I can tell you that behind the blue door....

11-19-2005 at 01:06 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I could use help on the "Damn" room named "Damn Stairs".

As much as anything, maybe someone could at least tell me where the flaw is in my current thinking:

I can only start from the SE, Central NW, Central NE, Central SE stairs.

It would appear the room would be doable starting from the Central SW stairs, but I don't know how to start there.

I assume there is no secret wall, scripting, or other tricky trick.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 11-20-2005 12:09 AM]
11-20-2005 at 12:08 AM
Doom
larrymurk wrote:
I could use help on the "Damn" room named "Damn Stairs".

11-20-2005 at 12:16 AM
larrymurk
Thx Henri :thumbsup
11-20-2005 at 01:26 AM
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
some of these rooms are *very* hard.

:blink
11-20-2005 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Chalks wrote:
some of these rooms are *very* hard.

:blink

I second that.

Very hard, but well done.
11-20-2005 at 01:28 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I need some help in Backwards, the ww and roaches part. I have no idea what to do there...

Oh, and some help for the goblins entrance room will also be gladly accepted...

11-23-2005 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Tim wrote:
I need some help in Backwards, the ww and roaches part. I have no idea what to do there...

Oh, and some help for the goblins entrance room will also be gladly accepted...

I solved most of the sections of this room by following these steps:

1. What do I need to do?

2. Experiment a while..

3. If not solved, GOTO 1.

With the goblin,

As for the roaches/wws,

I'm not sure if these hints are specific enough.

I found this room, let's just say very challenging.
11-23-2005 at 10:44 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
larrymurk wrote:
As for the roaches/wws,
I've done that, but still can't find a place to kill these things...

11-23-2005 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Tim wrote:
larrymurk wrote:
As for the roaches/wws,
I've done that, but still can't find a place to kill these things...

If you're still stuck, how I do it is..

11-27-2005 at 07:40 AM
Doom
Meh. Just noticed a moment ago that you don't need to hit the orb in Backwards that closes the door in the middle of the guard room.

It's a simple fix. Add a closed door at "3,10" and set the orb at "4,3" to open it. Rabs could make that change for the compilation hold. (I'm too lazy to post the fixed hold here myself :P)

Updated hold below.

[Last edited by Doom at 11-27-2005 08:24 AM]
11-27-2005 at 07:54 AM
Rabscuttle
Now that the voting is over, I'd like to tidy the hold up (and make sure that the levels are credited to the correct people) and submit it to the holds board. If you're anything like me, then you'll want to make an adjustment or two to your room, so now is your opportunity to do that.

If you make changes then post your modified rooms in this thread rather than mailing me.

Also if you have a room, but weren't in time for the competition, you can post it here too.

Or if it's a simple fix, you can just describe it ;)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-27-2005 07:58 AM : simple fixes]
11-27-2005 at 07:57 AM
Doom

File: Backwards.hold (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Forget what I said. Everyone was complaining about the rattlesnake chamber, so I made it greatly easier to complete.

Added checkpoints and bombs to kill rattlesnakes if they get stuck in the most common places.
11-27-2005 at 08:23 AM
Chalks

File: One room hold contest.hold (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
hrm. I missed a few arrows in "Way to go?" that I should have put in there. Added em and hopefully that cleans it up a bit. This was actually the first room I've made using JtRH, and it was a lot of fun. :D
11-27-2005 at 05:03 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119

File: The Wrong Way Entry.hold (5.6 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
Here's a slightly changed version of my hold. All unintended solutions are now hopefully fixed. If you are still able to solve the room without getting the scripted messages (or if the messages appear in unexpected places), then please tell me so that I can try to fix it.

[Last edited by Stefan at 11-29-2005 12:40 AM : new version of the hold]
11-28-2005 at 01:06 AM
larrymurk
Stefan wrote:
Here's a slightly changed version of my hold. All unintended solutions are now hopefully fixed. If you are still able to solve the room without getting the scripted messages (or if the messages appear in unexpected places), then please tell me so that I can try to fix it.

It would appear some pretty precise timing would be required (and I'm not sure exactly where one would even start counting from).

What about making the bottom orb toggle the bottom 3 doors? You know, I'm just suggesting this for other players who might not be so experienced as me. Yeah, that's it.. :?
11-28-2005 at 01:22 AM
Stefan
larrymurk wrote:
It would appear some pretty precise timing would be required (and I'm not sure exactly where one would even start counting from).
Yes, precise timing is required, but that was the intended solution (the intended solution is to
) There are many ways to achieve this, but all of them require precise timing, or experimentation.
What about making the bottom orb toggle the bottom 3 doors?
I could do that, but I think it may make some unintended solutions (that break the scripting) possible. I'll look into it later this week, but I'm not promising that anything will change (unless I'm certain that the change will not make unwanted solutions possible). Edit: This change would also make the room pretty trivial.

Another possibility I considered was to move the left open door one square east making it slightly easier to get the rattlesnake to cooperate when coming from the east, but it also makes it impossible to force the rattlesnake into the loop when coming from the west.

[Last edited by Stefan at 11-28-2005 02:10 AM]
11-28-2005 at 02:09 AM
Rabscuttle
Just a note to say that I'll be away for four or five days.
11-28-2005 at 02:25 PM
larrymurk

File: TWWE Monster Traffic The Entrance Victory.demo (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
With some more playing around I did find a solution with dialogs, yeah :thumbsup

Here's what I did.
11-28-2005 at 02:59 PM
Stefan
Ugh. The event 'serpent smashed' seems to be triggered when rattlesnakes die as well... I'll have to circumvent that somehow, perhaps by closing off the inner paths when you hit the south orb, forcing the player to kill all but one rattlesnake before taking on the serpents, but that would limit the players' options somewhat, so it's not the best solution possible. If anyone can think of a smart fix (perhaps including scripting - without making the solution more specific), I'd be glad to hear about it.

11-28-2005 at 04:40 PM
larrymurk

File: stefans wrong way.rar (6.9 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
How about this change?

I made it so you have to kill the other blue serpents first I believe.
11-28-2005 at 07:19 PM
Stefan

File: LTWWE Monster Traffic The Entrance Victory.demo (2 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
That is about what I had in mind, except for the force arrows (they aren't really needed, and they limit the players' options quite a lot). I've now added doors in appropriate places. I think this (the updated hold in my old post) will be the final version.

Oh yeah, your version still allows the player to leave rattlesnakes alive in the middle (see attached demo or figure it out yourself).

11-29-2005 at 01:36 AM
Chalks
I really enjoyed this little contest. I think it would be really neat if we did it again, and just added the next hold to this first one. We could end up with a hold of 5 levels, and each level had 8+ user levels on it.

:D

I think I would contribute to this even if it wasn't made into a contest. The contest did add a bit of fun to it though.
11-29-2005 at 04:24 AM
larrymurk
Yeah, looks good Stefan. :smile
11-29-2005 at 02:01 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Wrong Way (One Room Hold Mini Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com