Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Eighthscapade (An new drod game! I'm joking!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon Eighthscapade (+1)  
I'm making an hack Eighthscapade! For Super Mario World fans, this is an must-try!

Currently i don't have any demo. But i will soon post screenies!

The story:

Mario was relaxing in the sunny beach, when someone in an huge spaceship kidnapped Peach, again! Mario, with his rocket aims for the Eighth, where Peach is held.

I'm looking at the goal... In King Dugan's Cave 1!

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 10-28-2005 11:12 PM]
10-28-2005 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1912
icon Re: Eighthscapade (0)  
I've got to hand it to you, you are ambitious.

Good luck, I can't wait to see your screen shots.
10-28-2005 at 05:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Eighthscapade (-1)  
Certainly ambitious.
10-28-2005 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Jeff, while this sounds cool, copyright law may come to bit you in the butt for this one on a couple of ways.

1. I'm assuming you downloaded the dreaded "R" word of the game. Unless you actually own the cartridge of the game, that's illegal. It would be the exact same as downloading the full DROD from a peer-to-peer app, and we all know Erik's thought of that.

2. The makers, Nintendo, haven't given people permission to use the engine, graphics, music, or anything along those lines. While you could argue that changing all of the graphics, music, and sounds would make it right, you are still using an engine owned by Nintendo that is, believe it or not, still being sold today via Mario Advance 2.

If you don't want to give up the whole "Creating a non-DROD game into a DROD game", do a bit of research. PC games are the best for having open-source released for you. For example, DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D (Two random games that I have no knowledge of :whistle. ) have their sources released freely, meaning that if you created brand-new graphics, sound, music, and the like, you could freely distribute it to others. And there is a plethora of mods and tools for those two games.

I'm not trying to throw water on your flame, but I just want to make sure that your enthusiasm doesn't get you into trouble.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 10-28-2005 11:45 PM]
10-28-2005 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
...cartridge...

the thing i was always asking... what the * is that.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-29-2005 at 12:09 AM
gamer_extreme_101
That was the format that the SNES used for it's games. The term "Cartridge" basically means that the game is encased in plastic to make it durable and larger. It also means that there is no need for memory cards because the data is saved directly into the game.

10-29-2005 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
I'm not really sure what Jeff is trying to do here, so it seems early to explain what might be wrong with it. But yeah, it seems like he might run into trouble pretty quick. Jeff, mainly you want to avoid using sounds and images from Nintendo's games. We also don't want... oh, I guess I should wait until it happens, instead of getting all preachy. :)

-Erik

10-29-2005 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
What he was trying to do was take the SNES game "Super Mario World" and edit the level design and possibly graphics to fit the theme. While it sounds cool, sopyright law forbids doing that unless it's been declared open source. Video game makers also forbid the creation of ROMs to, IIRC. And besides, who'd want to mess with Nintendo when they could send a herd of Pokemon to attack you?

10-29-2005 at 12:22 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Ok now for you all so it stops the forum war, it's made with Lunar Magic, the SMW Rom editor. It's not illegal to use this program. But i won't give a word of where you can get it, though is avaible in more than one site.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-29-2005 at 01:06 AM
ErikH2000
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Ok now for you all so it stops the forum war, it's made with Lunar Magic, the SMW Rom editor. It's not illegal to use this program. But i won't give a word of where you can get it, though is avaible in more than one site.
Jeff, the illegal part happens not when you use the ROM editor, but when you copy the ROM in some form to your computer. That ROM belongs to Nintendo.

If you make any game that is based on the ROM from another game, I consider that copyright infringement. I'm not going to come over to your house with Pokemons and stop you, but you can't link to this kind of game here or promote it. Sorry!

-Erik

10-29-2005 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I deleted a post, because I really just want myself and moderators explaining forum rules and getting on people's case. Despite good intentions, a little history's shown me that it's best to avoid everyone correcting each other.

-Erik

10-29-2005 at 01:58 AM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: Eighthscapade (+3)  
History shows that you'll have nothing to worry about ;-)

10-29-2005 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Eighthscapade (An new drod game! I'm joking!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com