Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Questionnaire
Page 4 of 17
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: Questionaire (+2)  
I just registered a few days ago, so here's me:

Name: Chris Marks
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue/grey
Height: 6'3 1/4" (ha)
Grade: Second year of College, after 3 of University
Favourite Types of Music: I'm one of those few totally eclectic people. If it's not Barney, Achy Breaky Heart, or Macarena, I'm all in
Favourite Computer Games: DROD, Shivers, Diablo 2, Grim Fandango, The Fool's Errand, any old Quest game from Sierra
Favourite Movies: Shawshank Redemption, Princess Bride, Any Kevin Smith movie, Any Steve Buscemi movie, Fight Club, American Beauty, Oscar (Stallone comedy, funniest movie I've ever seen when uncut), Lord of the Rings, the real Star Wars trilogy
Favourite Book: Neuromancer, by William Gibson
Favourite Authors: Michael Crichton, William Gibson, Anne Rice
Time playing DROD: I downloaded it from the-underdogs.org (same place where I got Fool's Errand) some 2 years ago, and just got Caravel last week
Beaten DROD: Beat Webfoot, on level 7 of Caravel
Favourite level: 24
Least Favourite level: 23
Favourite things to do: write, sing, play my guitar, give massages, read, play computer games
Desert island companion: you! (scary, huh?)
Dumbest thing ever done: When I was at University I decided 4 days before final exam week was a good time to get over a caffiene addiction cold turkey
Proudest moments: Got a hole-in-one playing golf, and got a standing ovation singing Delilah at karaoke
Day or Night person: no
Cat or Dog person: yes
Should I be made an admin: yes, but Erik and Clayton don't know that yet.

Here's another question for the questionnaire: What's the origin of your screen name:

When I was at University, I just never happened to mention my last name. Later, I was playing a White Wolf Role-Playing game (they're suing the makers of the movie Underworld, so if you want to see if you'd better go on friday, it might not be there saturday) and my mage was named Leonardo DiMono. I was so good at roleplaying him that the name stook, and I've adopted it everywhere.

09-17-2003 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Questionaire (+1)  
DiMono wrote:
Here's another question for the questionnaire: What's the origin of your screen name?
Mine originally was based on the genus name of a mushroom called Agaricus campestris, or The Field Mushroom (also my avatar). The number on the end of it was just a random number I chose because when I originally tried to register with Yahoo, the username was taken, so I needed to append a number to it.

09-17-2003 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
icon Re: Questionaire (0)  
As for the origin of my screen name: well, I had several ideas for screen names: Cuey, NARISH, Mr. Q, and NoahT. I chose NoahT, which is made of my first name and last inital, because the other three were inside names in my family that I thought would make me less recognizable.

Of course, it's not like others are recognizable; I didn't know agaricus5 was Wesley Chua until I saw his name at the end of one of his posts. Hope I didn't offend you, Wesley. :-O

So that's where my screen name is from.

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 09-20-2003 at 01:06 AM GMT: I remembered another idea]

[Edited by NoahT on 09-20-2003 at 01:07 AM]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-17-2003 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
icon Re: Re: Questionaire (0)  
NoahT wrote:
Of course, it's not like others are recognizable; I didn't know agaricus5 was Wesley Chua until I saw his name at the end of one of his posts. Hope I didn't offend you, Wesley. :-O

-Noah
No, you didn't offend me. I have a secret identity - I'm a "Delver In The Background". :D

Well... Sort of...

[Edited by agaricus5 on 09-17-2003 at 11:43 PM]

09-17-2003 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Malarame? It comes from a poem I had to write for English class back in 8th grade. When I was writing the poem, I made up the name on the spot because it rhymed. Afterwards, I just started using it for screennames. In 9th grade I had to memorize the poem for one of my classes and I still know it.

A really, really long time ago,
There was a place called Shalehfoe.
It was a really nice place to be,
All who lived there lived happily.
But in this land there was many a beast,
And on the people they would feast.
In all the people's ears would ring
The name of a certain terrible thing.
It was a dragon, and its name
Happened to be Malarame.
Now everybody, in their braggin',
Said they could slay this terrible dragon.
But, of course, all would fail,
Malarame would always prevail.
Until, one day, along came a knight,
Who said, "This dragon, I must fight.
And with my might, I'll end your plight!"
So this knight set off down the road
(And by the way, this knight's name was Node).
Node came upon the dragon after several hours,
He said, "I have come to show my powers.
For since you are the one they call Malarame,
It is you that I must tame."
Well Malarame just laughed and said,
"If you want to try, go right ahead!
But I am warning you, oh brave knight,
That you are not at all right.
So if you want to give up now,
Your going home I will allow.
But if you choose to stay and fight,
I will crush you with all of my might."
Of course, the dragon Node did not heed,
He continued on with his oh-so-brave deed.
So Malarame lifted his great, big tail,
With a spike on the end as sharp as a nail.
He crushed Node in the blink of an eye,
And then sat down with a great big sigh.
Well, I've come to the end of my story,
The story about Malarame's glory.
Of course, this poem has a morel:
With dragons, you really shouldn't quarrel.
But if you do, then take my advice,
Say you're sorry, and try to act nice!

[Edited by Malarame on 09-18-2003 at 01:54 PM]

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
09-18-2003 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Something a little odd I noticed...

Malarame wrote:
Are "braggin'" and "dragon" supposed to rhyme? If so, then the pronounciation, at least to me, living in England, would seem very odd.

With dragon's, you really shouldn't quarrel.

And, although it's a little nitpicky for me to say this, but plurals of nouns don't usually tend to have apostrophes.

In spite of that, I think the poem is rather cool.

09-18-2003 at 12:07 AM
Malarame
icon Re: Re: Re: Questionaire (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Something a little odd I noticed...

Malarame wrote:
Are "braggin'" and "dragon" supposed to rhyme? If so, then the pronounciation, at least to me, living in England, would seem very odd.

With dragon's, you really shouldn't quarrel.

And, although it's a little nitpicky for me to say this, but plurals of nouns don't usually tend to have apostrophes.

In spite of that, I think the poem is rather cool.
Please, do nitpick. I didn't notice that mistake, but I can assure you that I didn't realize the apostraphe was there. I corrected the mistake, though. And to me (and everyone I know), braggin' and dragon rhyme. The way I pronounce it, both words end with the the sound of the word "in". Of course, I'm American, and us Americans are known for doing many things in a strange, obtuse, stupid way (such as the dumbest system of measurments ever concocted, the stupidly named "standard" system. Why can't we all just adopt the metric system?!?).

-Groucho Marx
09-18-2003 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Screenname comes from my name, funnily enough. Although I use different ones depending upon the aim of the site.

Anything involving any sort of roleplaying I tend to go with Matthias, which is Greek to Matthew's Hebrew; although it actually comes from Redwall.

Sometimes I'll use Merus, which is apparently a Latin word for 'pure'. Unfortunately, my personality's changed to the point where this is no longer poignant, so I can take comfort in the fact that no-one I know that speaks Latin knows what it means.

Matt

09-19-2003 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: Questionaire (+1)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
Anything involving any sort of roleplaying I tend to go with Matthias, which is Greek to Matthew's Hebrew; although it actually comes from Redwall.

Redwall was an amusing series. I tried to get my little sisters to read it, but they aren't into that whole "reading" thing unless it's for school.

Sometimes I'll use Merus, which is apparently a Latin word for 'pure'. Unfortunately, my personality's changed to the point where this is no longer poignant, so I can take comfort in the fact that no-one I know that speaks Latin knows what it means.

How many people you know that speak Latin? And I don't mean from reading Pratchett... ;) My 7th grade History class was also basically a 1st-year Latin class, and now I think it was a really cool idea, I just wish I remembered more. I remember that peninsula comes from paena, "almost", and insula, "island", so "peninsula" literally translates as "almost an island". Isn't that interesting?

Oh, and I suppose since I posted, I have to explain my screen name. "Oneiromancer" comes from the Greek Oneiros, which means "Dream", and the suffix mancer, which means "a wizard of whatever the word before means". So an Oneiromancer is a wizard of dreams. It's taken from The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman...the 12th one of which was supposed to come out yesterday, by the way. Search Amazon.com for Endless Nights...oh, yeah. I am happy.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-19-2003 at 05:32 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
My screen name is a modified reversal of my real name. Mainly because I'm really bad at thinking up names, I tend to go for the first thing that pops into my head.

"Oook!"
09-21-2003 at 08:03 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
My sn comes from an abbreviation and a code. It means "Zelda EXpert Tim." The Tim bit comes from numerical alphabet code (a=1, b=2 etc.) Sometimes I've shortened it to just "zex" when things permit, or if I feel like it.

09-22-2003 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ahhh... I just thought that your name is a reference to the 20912 Zexs that came before you.

Oh, and just like Noah, my screen name is simply my first name plus my last initial.

[Edited by eytanz on 09-22-2003 at 03:21 PM]

09-22-2003 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
icon Re: Questionaire (+1)  
OK, new question. I just saw the movie Fight Club for about the 10th time, and it got me thinking...

If you could fight one historical figure, living or dead, who would it be?

I think I would want to fight Joseph Stalin. I think he's just a really cool guy...except for all that killing and repression. That stuff wasn't cool. In fact, come to think of it, he really wasn't a very cool guy. Except for his moustache. His moustache kicked ass. So I guess I'd want to fight him so that I could (1) beat some sense into him, and (2) get close to that moustache.

-Groucho Marx
09-30-2003 at 04:57 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Malarame wrote:
If you could fight one historical figure, living or dead, who would it be?
Jared from Subway.

09-30-2003 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Re: Questionaire (0)  
I would fight Tony Robbins, and he would almost certainly win too. Unless I cheated and used a tire iron on his stupid face.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 09-30-2003 at 05:27 PM]

09-30-2003 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Questionaire (+1)  
Hitler, because I reckon I could kick his ass and you wouldn't feel bad about doing it, as you would with other people I could beat (eg little old ladies, etc.)

Oh, and I guess he has a really stupid moustache.

Matt

10-01-2003 at 11:57 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
I don't like actual fighting with people, so there isn't anyone I'd fight.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-15-2003 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
dividendD
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
krammer wrote:
Ever completed DROD: Err.. no
If not how far are you? Level 14 Caravel, level 17 on Webfoot
[Edited by krammer on 07-17-2003 at 11:05 AM]

Very odd..... I thought that you would be farther in Caravel then Webfoot.. Those checkpoints really help!
02-14-2004 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
dividendD wrote:
krammer wrote:
Ever completed DROD: Err.. no
If not how far are you? Level 14 Caravel, level 17 on Webfoot
[Edited by krammer on 07-17-2003 at 11:05 AM]

Very odd..... I thought that you would be farther in Caravel then Webfoot.. Those checkpoints really help!
That's all well and good, but what about answering the questionaire itself? We don't know anything about you, my friend.

02-14-2004 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
If you notice that was a long time ago and I hadn't had Caravel nearly so long. I have finished it now though, but only the once.

"Oook!"
02-16-2004 at 01:06 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
You know, a lot of the old posts on this thread are probably outdated and should be edited. Just in case someone comes looking for data on another guy for whatever reason.....

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-16-2004 at 06:48 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I've been here long enough. Why not?

Name: Ryan Berry

Hair: Dark brown

Eyes: Blue

Height: 6'0

Grade: College Sophomore

Favourite Types of Music: I've got fairly random tastes. Ben
Folds, Radiohead top the list.

Favourite Computer Games: Anything but DROD. God, I hate that game.

Favourite Movies: I dunno. I'm never good at anything where I decide my favorites. I'll just choose a movie that I think I'd like. Uhh... Citizen Kane.

Favourite Book: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (fighting urge to answer this question with "magazines")

Favourite Authors: Dunno. There.

Beaten DROD: Yuh huh.

Favourite level: It's been a while since I've played Dugan's. I really don't remember.

Least Favourite level: 13! That's just a maze! Ugh!

Favourite things to do: Writing, movie editing, studying math (at least I'm trying to convince myself of that last one)

Desert island companion: Jeff Probst. And he'd be the only one left besides the loser and the jury, and I'd have just won $1,000,000. Oh, BTW, my last forum excursion (of about 3 years) was as an admin at a Survivor fan site. Interested in playing? Ask me for a link.

Dumbest thing ever done: Meh, dunno. I'm really flaking out with this questionnaire.

Proudest moments: Received tumultuous applause twice during high school, once for performing a parody of "I Will Survive" ("I Will Derive", about calculus), and once while reading a humorous essay in front of the student body. My third such opportunity didn't result in as much applause, as it involved a heinous amount of pelvic thrusting.

Day or Night person: Day

Cat or Dog person: Pet Rock, please.

Should I be made an admin: Heavens to Betsy, no.

What's the origin of your screen name: When I was a sophomore in high school, my history teacher made us all get e-mail addresses so we could mail him our assignments. I was forced to think of a clever name. I had the nickname Bob at that point (not worth asking about) and I tried to incorporate that into it. RoboBob sounded a bit like RoboCop (another film I haven't seen) and I added 3000 to the end of it. My name was thus one part badass, one part uber-geek. I've kept it ever since.

Ta Da! There I am.

[Edited by RoboBob3000 on 02-17-2004 at 10:27 AM GMT]

02-17-2004 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Here I go.
Name: Saul
Hair: Dark brown
Eyes: Odd greenish-brown colour
Height: 174 cm
Weight: 61 kg
Favourite everything: Nope, sorry.
Completed DROD: Yep.
Least favourite DROD level: 21, and 8 comes a close second.
Cat or dog person: Cat.
Origin of screen name: Let's just say it's an obscure story involving toasters.
It's not like me to give out all that personal information - I must be going soft. Oh well.

[Edited by masonjason on 02-17-2004 at 11:11 AM GMT]

[Edited by masonjason at Local Time:03-26-2005 at 12:09 AM: to correct age and because I realised that people can find my screen name through googling my real name through this topic; not something I really want to be happening]

[Edited by masonjason at Local Time:03-26-2005 at 12:14 AM]

02-17-2004 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Religion: Atheist
Favorite Artist: "Weird Al" Yankovic, Josh Whelchel
Favorite Type of Music:Game soundtracks and humor.
Favorite Movie: UHF
Favorite Books: The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series
Favorite Games: Cave Story, Planescape: Torment, Suikoden 2, Deus Ex, Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, Battle for Wesnoth, Ancient Domains of Mystery, The Spirit Engine
Favorite Quote: What can change the nature of a man?
How long have you played DROD?: Sporadically since 2004.
Beaten it?: Nope, too short attention span.
If not, how far?: Lv 24 in King Dugan's. Haven't bought JtRH or any of the other newer ones.
Admin?: Too lazy to actually do anything useful with that sort of power.
Dumbest thing ever: When I was 8 or something, I was reading a poster on the wall, and didn't notice that there was a flight of stairs down on my right side. I fell sideways and almost cracked open my head. I still have a scar from that incident.
Proudest moment: Don't know
Favorite thing to do: Create and play games, program things in various languages.
Day or Night: Time of day doesn't matter, I'm not outside anyway.
Cat or Dog: Cats, especially kittens.
What does Nillo mean?: Nothing, as far as I know. I made it up because it sounds cooler than Nils.
Desert Island Companion: A solar-powered computer with a wireless Internet connection. Plus lots and lots of canned food.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”

[Last edited by Nillo at 04-14-2008 04:02 PM]
02-17-2004 at 06:45 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
What the hey. Here goes:

Hair/Eyes: Brown/Brown
Height: 5 something
Grade: Part-timer in local university
Favorite Band: Jim's Big Ego (Addicted to stress!)
Favorite Type of Music: Anything I can get my ears in
Favorite Movie: What genre are we talking here?
Favorite Book: See Above
Favorite Games: Anything I can get my keyboard/mouse/controller on
How long have you played DROD?: about a year I think.
Beaten it?: Yeah.
If not, how far?:
Admin?: No, don't have the dedication.
Dumbest thing ever: I'll need to classify, intex, and cross-index before I have a clue.
Proudest moments: Beating DROD, triumphing over an early-childhood bully.
Favorite thing to do: Sleep/Eat.
Day or Night: That sleepy time in the morning when your grasp on reality is so tenuous the world seems turned inside-out.
Cat or Dog: Cat
What does joker5 mean?: I was thinking jester but that's too long, and feels off. Then I thought, joker... but joker makes people think "Batman" and I wanted a saner image(not by much though). So I added a 5(which is one of the all-time most-used numbers in fiction, right next to 3).
Desert Island Companion: Survival pack containing everything needed to get the heck off said desert island.
How many more questions can you think of?: As many as I want. The problem is them being valuable in any way.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-22-2004 at 03:28 AM
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
Hair/Eyes: Brown/Blue
Height: 6'1"
Grade: No freaking idea! I have a bazillion credits at five different schools, but they are so diverse that I am still a sophomore in three or four different degrees. Advice to the world, "decide on a major while you're still young."
Favorite Band: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, L'Arc~En~Ciel
Favorite Type of Music: Jazz, or something with a beat and some horns
Favorite Movie(s): Better Off Dead, Fight Club, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Brave Little Toaster
Favorite Book(s): THE SILMARILLION!!! (Tolkien) Also the Hitchhiker's Guide Series (Adams), Have Spacesuit--Will Travel and Starship Troopers (Heinlein)
Favorite Games: DROD, SET, Chess, Commander Keen, Bridge, Ratchet and Clank Series, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Eye-Toy Anti-Grav, Mordheim, Big Axe Bear (I authored it: www.cizzarellis.com/ignazio)!
How long have you played DROD?: Siete anos
Beaten it?: Si, bueno.
Favorite Level: 13! I loved it! Such deep spiritual fulfillment upon completion!
Least Favorite Level: I think it is 23 where you do a rediculous amount of hacking.
Administrator?: Nah
Proudest moments: No idea.
Favorite thing to do: Kayak
Day or Night: Night, who sleeps?
Cat or Dog: Dogs are awesome. But I have a parrot... trying to teach it to bark and play fetch though...
What does Koro mean?: It is an anagram for Rook. A nice chess reference, also it has two O's and an R, which are two of my favorite initials, and a K, which um... my dad's name starts with. There that works. It also means "Rises high like the mountain" in Sindarin.
Desert Island Companion: A certain female
How many more questions can you think of?: What color does a smurf turn when it chokes on something?
er.. not so good... how bout these:
Favorite TV show(s): Stargate SG-1!!! Kim Possible, Full Metal Alchemist, Spiral
Favorite Muppet: Cookie Monster, Dr. Teeth

[Last edited by Koro at 07-17-2006 07:29 AM : Update]
02-22-2004 at 08:01 AM
DiMono
Koro wrote:
Favorite Muppet: Cookie Monster, Dr. Teeth
I'm sorry, my friend, it's all about Beaker. The Swedish Chef is cool in his own right, but Beaker takes it all. A close second is the random chicken that shows up once in a while.

02-22-2004 at 08:49 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Koro wrote:
Favorite Games: DROD, SET, Chess, Limbo, Commander Keen!

Gotta love those Commander Keen. I still dust them off occasionally.
02-23-2004 at 11:09 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
bandit1200 wrote:
Koro wrote:
Favorite Games: DROD, SET, Chess, Limbo, Commander Keen!

Gotta love those Commander Keen. I still dust them off occasionally.
Same here. I have Keen 1,2,3 and 4.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-23-2004 at 12:13 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Aliens stole my babysitter! No, really, they did!

I still think the Shikadi were the coolest ever...

And did you know there's a Keen game for the GBA?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-23-2004 at 03:53 PM
Page 4 of 17
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Questionnaire
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No