Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Questionnaire
Page 3 of 17
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
IP: Logged
icon Re: Re: Re: Questionaire (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
NoahT wrote:
Dumbest thing ever done: Poured grated parmesan cheese in my mother's hair.
Now that's interesting. Why did you do such a bizarre thing?

Well, I had just felt like doing it for fun. To be more specific, I opened the cheese container, held it over my mother's head, and turned it upside down to let the cheese come out. I was planning on editing that post, anyway, because the dumbest thing I ever did is probably not the parmesan cheese fiasco, but the time I swallowed a dime.

-Noah

P.S. You'd be surprised if you read my age and my "Beaten DROD?" answer.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-27-2003 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Questionaire (0)  
No, not really. I get a much bigger rise when I say I started university at 15.

Wait, forget I said that!

Matt

07-28-2003 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Just bumping this thread for new faces.

-Noah

My stuff:

08-11-2003 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Um. Remind me to do this sometime. (Not now, though.)

- Gerry

08-11-2003 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Roth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
icon Re: Questionaire (+2)  
I feel I'm not worthy.
But,

Hair: Lite Brown
Eyes: Blue + Hazel border
Height: 5-7
Job/Grade/College: 8th grade
Favorite Band: Rage Against The Machine
Favorite Type of Music: [Wide Spectrum]
Favorite Movie: The Matrix
Favorite Book: Magic The Gathering: Dragons of Magic
Favorite Author: Unsure
Favorite Hobby: Reading
Favorite None PC Game: Final Fantisy Tactics
How long have you been playing DROD for? Almost three months
Ever beat DROD? Negitive
If not, how far are you? level 8

undeniably
-Tim
08-12-2003 at 03:03 AM
The_Lucky_Mutt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
Location: Right around the corner or across the globe, depends on when you ask
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5-11
Job/Grade/College: Hmm... Grade? Not sure anymore... Job? Self employed web-designer/artist/photographer/music writer/novelist/poet/game-developer... (I leave my options open)
Favorite Band: Umm... Undecided
Favorite Type of Music: Classical or Alternative (I know, they're different)
Favorite Movie: The Princess Bride... or maybe Legend
Favorite Book: Ender's Game, the Wheel of Time series (the books come out far to slow), and the Homecoming series
Favorite Author: L. Ron Hubbard and Frank Hubert are good, can't forget Robert Jordan, but my favorite is Orson Scott Card
How long have you been playing DROD for? I played the demo webfoot version years and years ago.
Ever beat DROD? So close, so close
If not, how far are you? Level 23
Should Erik or Clayton make you an Admin? I'm admin of enough on my own
Favorite DROD level: I'll claim 13 because I'm sure no one else will give it sympathy

If you could be stuck on a desert island with one person (alive or dead, and you can't pick Beethro), who would it be?
My fiance

Most tragic moment: When my fiance left me a couple of days ago (After looping though all the emotions several times, I'm currently in the denial stage of tragity, so she'll come back soon).

What is your number one favorite thing in the entire world to do? Read or control the web will my deft explorations and programming. Oh I know, creating worlds in computer programs, MUDs, RPG, you name it.

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done? The year I spent listening to people tell be high school would get me somwhere. No more for me though, I am a certified non-conformist who has now gotten into several universities without high school. If only I had done it in middle school...

What's your proudest moment? Dropping out of high school.

Are you a morning person or a night person? My ideal day is 28 hours, so as you can see, it shifts.

Cats or dogs? I like cats (oh the irony of my username)

Outlook on life: We only have one chance to change the world, and whatever might be in the afterlife, you need to make you difference before that... To let all the wrongs go unrighted and uncared for *shakes his head*... At least see what it is you arn't doing, don't let things go past blind eyes... 'It mattered to that one' she said, and threw another starfish into the sea...
-TLM

[Edited by The_Lucky_Mutt on 08-12-2003 at 10:41 AM GMT: Answered the new questions; Whoever mentioned not seeing the multiple pages was right, although I knew they were there]
08-12-2003 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Um, Malarame, just wondering, do you have any more questions to be answered in this thread?

-Noah

My stuff:

08-17-2003 at 04:14 AM
noman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
Great ME:

Eyes: Blue-Green
Height:185cm(don't know what that is in your size)
School:12 year(one to go)
Favorite Band: ACDC,Judas Priest
Favorite Movie: Matrix
Favorite book: haven't read any lately
Playing DROD: 4months(i think)(with som greater breaks( a few weeks each))
Drod beaten? Not really
Current Level: LVL17

Yeah. Thats me!!

PS. Can someone explain me your height system. Don't suppose anyone is about 6.1 meters tall.

noman(alpha-1)

08-17-2003 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
6'1" = 6 feet, 1 inch tall. 1 foot = 12 inches, 1 inch = 2.54 cm, 1 foot = 0.305 m.

Hope that helps.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-17-2003 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
It's interestig that, even in metric countries, which should know better by now, the imperial system of measuring height (and only height) is still fairly widely used.

In evey other area, we wonder why America doesn't switch. Reminds me of that joke about the old British monetary system in Good Omens.

Matt

08-18-2003 at 12:11 PM
noman
icon Re: Questionaire (+1)  
Hey man i measure things in mil even an inch is too large for me. But the imperial measuring system is really dumb. in metric measuring the factor between two units(e.g.: m(meter),dm(dezimeter),cm(centimeter)) is exactly 10, which is a lot easier to calculate, than the imperial system is!!!

But: between inch and foot the factor is:12.00787402
between foot and yard the factor is something about 3 i think(but i don't know how long a yard is exactly)
between yard and mile the factor is something about 1666 i think(but i don't know how long a mile is exactly)

The one that invents such a crazy measuring system must be as dumb as a STONE :twak

I find more electronic parts designed in metric raster every day. well that's even more dumb :twak , because mixeng them together makes the most sense at all.

->noman

08-18-2003 at 01:07 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I think that the way it came about was some king wanted to leave his mark on the world. So he thought about what he could do, and he realized he could make a new type of measurement system. He had people come in and have his foot become the new standard. Thus, the imperial system. I don't know where inch and yard came from though...

The only debate (which I see now) that could arise from this is that back in the olden days, people didn't have feet that big, typically. The king was probably fat, because he was a king, and fat people do have longer feet. It's creepy but true. Er...at least longer than they would be if they were skinny.

08-18-2003 at 01:48 PM
noman
The inch could come from his nose!!

And the Yard: Maybe it comes from this:
:yikes

->noman

[Edited by noman on 08-18-2003 at 01:39 PM]

08-18-2003 at 02:37 PM
Mattcrampy
I heard about a measurement that was the distance between the first and 12th man to walk out of Church on a Sunday. I'm hoping to God it was made up.

But yeah, the imperial system is pretty weird. Of course, the metric system is based for the most part on the distance between the North Pole and the Equator, which was defined as exactly 10000km. But after that, it's all logical and fun and it's easy enough to remember the difference between units.

They're all 10s!

Matt

08-18-2003 at 03:05 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Questionaire (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
Reminds me of that joke about the old British monetary system in Good Omens.

That was one of Pratchett's better footnotes, although actually I heard that it was Gaiman that thought that one up. We'll never know...

Anyway, as a Physicist, I am definitely comfortable with the metric system, but as an American, I am not surprised that we still use the old ways. Traditions die very hard sometimes. Considering how screwed up the politics are in this country, a bill to convert to the metric system will probably never get passed.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-18-2003 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I do enjoy the running jokes about "Americans and other aliens" and the "anyone using more than 3 exclamation marks in a row is clinically insane".

That last one's a purely Discworld joke.

Matt

08-18-2003 at 10:36 PM
Oneiromancer
Yes, and a running one at that.

By the way, make sure you pick up the newest Discworld books: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents and The Wee Free Men. They are being marketed as "young adult" books, but they are as good (possibly better) than any of the other Discworld books.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-19-2003 at 02:42 AM GMT: fixed erroneous title]

08-18-2003 at 11:30 PM
Mattcrampy
Oh, I've already read Maurice. I fully plan on siccing my younger brother onto it, as I try and support the development of his discernment of quality.

He was interested in seeing Pootie-Tang. Needless to say, I've failed. However, more recently he's found Tomb Raider and Enter the Matrix quite poorly, and wants to get a good go at Super Metroid, so all is not lost.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd prefer to spend my money hunting down Eric (also known as the lost Discworld, the reason being it's the only one done by a different publisher).

Or maybe drooling over what's been tentatively titled as Monstrous Regiment, which is the next adult one.

Matt

08-19-2003 at 03:14 AM
Oneiromancer
Cool, I didn't know anything about the new one. I do have Eric, by the way, and it is indeed a good one. Really short though. If I see a good deal on it, should I bring it to your attention?

As an introduction to Pratchett, I always recommend Small Gods. The Last Hero is also great, but a lot of the jokes are better if you know the characters already, so...

Oh, and Super Metroid kicks bootie. Metroid Fusion for the GBA is great, and of course so is Metroid Prime (although in a pretty different way).

Game on,

08-19-2003 at 03:54 AM
Mattcrampy
The new one hasn't been released yet. That's why i'm drooling over it instead of reading it.

In my opinion, Super kicked more ass than Fusion. I have everything I need to play Prime, but am holding back because I really should do more work.

As an example of how badly this is failing, I have spent the last 14 hours on the Internet. Thank god I pay my own bills.

In case you're interested, my brother has an interesting approach to determining quality in games. In my designs (so far hypothetical), I attempt to design to this rule. I call it the '10-second rule' - if you can't give him a reason to play it within the first 10 seconds, he'll badmouth it to his friends. I have never seen anyone drop a game so quickly - my brother on Tomb Raider 4 was possibly the shortest game session ever, lasting about 5 seconds.

I practically had to bribe him into playing Super for longer. The escape sequence catches unaware gamers by surprise and thrashes them soundly.

Matt

08-19-2003 at 05:13 AM
Oneiromancer
Mattcrampy wrote:
The new one hasn't been released yet. That's why i'm drooling over it instead of reading it.

Yes, I understood that quite well. What did I say that made you think otherwise?

I understand about your brother, by the way. My fiancee didn't want much to do with video games for a while, especially console ones. Then one day she saw me playing Chrono Cross for the Playstation...she heard the introductory music (which is a real orchestra, and she is a violin teacher) and she absolutely had to play it. Now she beats most of my RPGs before I can. She still doesn't care much for the action games though...Dark Cloud and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance are as close as she will get. Oh, and she loves the Sims too (not really much of a surprise).

Game on,

08-19-2003 at 08:04 AM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Re: Questionaire (+2)  
Eyes: Blue
Height: 1 m 75 cm
Job/Grade/College: Second grade of high school
Favorite Band: Don't know
Favorite Type of Music: Don't know either
Favorite Movie: Again, don't know
Favorite Book: Good Omens
Favorite Author: Not sure, but probably Terry Pratchett. I just started reading the Discworld series, and have so far read The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic. They're great!
How long have you been playing DROD for? I started with Webfoot a long time ago.
Ever beat DROD? Yep. Before checkpoints were introduced. I'll never do it again.
Should Erik or Clayton make you an Admin? No.
Favorite DROD level: 23

An aside about metric/imperial conversions: Use the power of Google! Just enter "6 feet 1 inch in cm" (without the quotes) in the Google search field, and click enter. Very nice.

08-19-2003 at 05:13 PM
Oneiromancer
Oh, Watcher, you gotta read more Pratchett. The first two books are good, but compared to the rest...it's like going from David Eddings to George R. R. Martin.

(Sorry for the probably confusing fantasy author reference.)

Game on,

08-19-2003 at 05:27 PM
Mattcrampy
Mmm, I'll look out for George R. R. Martin.

And I have to agree with Oneiromancer here... the first two books are okay, but Pratchett really gets into the swing of it with the later books, which is excellent, as you can reasonably assume each book to be of high quality, rather than running out of ideas. I'd say the first one of the "real" Discworld books, ie. high quality, would be Mort.

Don't feel compelled to read the Discworld books in order. Often, you'll miss a joke by reading them out of order, but you'll rarely spoil the story. There are only a few that shouldn't be read first: The Light Fantastic, Lords and Ladies, Interesting Times and The Last Hero come to mind.

Of coure, feel free to skip right ahead to The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents. It won an award, partly for being excellent, and partly for being the first Discworld that can be honestly read with no background in the Discworld at all. Pratchett wonders whether they gave him the award because they've been looking to do it for years and was hoping not to resort to a "Lifetime Achievement" style award, apart from, of course, being excellent.

You know the old cliché of the fans who envy a person experiencing a series for the first time? That's how I feel. Bastard. :P

Matt

08-19-2003 at 11:28 PM
Oneiromancer
Mattcrampy wrote:
Mmm, I'll look out for George R. R. Martin.

Oh man, if you like fantasy at all, and you are getting sick of Robert Jordan taking 25 books to tell his story (Book XIX: Rand and Egwene visit the Petting Zoo), then please, please, pick up Martin. The first book is A Game of Thrones, and has been out in America since 1997, so it should definitely be in paperback in Australia by now. It is really, really good stuff...I can't recommend it enough.

Game on,

08-19-2003 at 11:33 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Oneiromancer wrote:
Oh, Watcher, you gotta read more Pratchett.

Yesterday evening, after making the above post, I sat down and read Equal Rites from beginning to end. Is that fast enough for you? :D :P

Matt: It might not be necessary to read the Discworld books in order, but I'm going to do so anyway. Why? Mainly because I intend to read them all, so might as well take them in the order they were written.

08-20-2003 at 01:00 PM
Mattcrampy
Well, you'll be up for some classics, no matter which way you read them. Plus, you won't miss any jokes.

Small Gods is particularly fine, in my opinion.

Matt

08-20-2003 at 02:49 PM
NoahT
This thread is getting way too much off topic.

Oh, and Matt, congratulations in becoming an admin. :D

-Noah

My stuff:

08-21-2003 at 06:20 AM
NoahT
Bumping for newbies.

Hey, that kind of sounds like the main phrases of election adds and posters, such as "Steve Wesley for Controller." :P:D

-Noah

My stuff:

09-09-2003 at 02:12 AM
Mattcrampy
Or "Matthew Cramp for Supreme Overlord of Earth".

It'll come, precious. It'll come.

Matt

09-10-2003 at 01:43 AM
Page 3 of 17
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Questionnaire
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No