Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Treasure Hunt Master Quest (Miscellaneous puzzles with a story...upgraded and harder!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.1/10 (11 votes)
σ 2.15
Author Name:Neil
Submitted By:Oneiromancer
Hold Name:Treasure Hunt Master Quest
Theme:Miscellaneous puzzles with a story...upgraded and harder!
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:42
Number of Monsters:1167
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Treasure Hunt Master Quest.hold (33.2 KB)
Downloaded 19661 times.
License: Other
icon Treasure Hunt Master Quest  
This is Treasure Hunt updated with JtRH graphics and scripts. Every non-trivial room now has JtRH puzzle elements in it, whether it be new monsters, ortho squares, or the Slayer. I think the only JtRH puzzle element I didn't use was Halph.

The rooms are now a lot harder. Let the delver beware! The layout is exactly the same, except for two new secret rooms, one after the other.

Many thanks to TScott and Alneyan for testing and making comments and suggestions.

Game on!
09-20-2005 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Treasure Hunt Master Quest (0)  
Test post to get the hold recognized by CaravelNet...

Well, that didn't work. In other, horrible news, in my attempts to get DROD to recognize my hold as being uploaded to the forum, I deleted it and reimported it. It being 1 AM, I totally forgot to export my playet file first. So I lost all of my demos. :( Guess I'm in the race for 1st just like everyone else!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 09-20-2005 09:24 AM]
09-20-2005 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Treasure Hunt Master Quest (+1)  
Author's difficulty of 9? It's really that difficult? I'd like to try it, but I can't do that in a long time, because I've not even started exploring the original yet... But it sounds like a good hold to try next.
09-20-2005 at 12:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Doom wrote:
Author's difficulty of 9? It's really that difficult? I'd like to try it, but I can't do that in a long time, because I've not even started exploring the original yet... But it sounds like a good hold to try next.
Well...It's definitely more difficult than the original, which had an author's difficulty of 7.5. The people voted it to be a 6 difficulty. I don't think that I should change my difficulty to match everyone else's...after all, the one that shows up in-game and on the Holds page is the voted difficulty. In any case, I chose to set the new difficulty relative to the original one, which is why I probably over-compensated. I don't think it's too big a deal in the long run.

Also, whoever voted, thanks...I realized after I went to bed that was the bug I was seeing, that someone needed to rate the hold for it to show up in-game. I can't believe I erased my demos...it's a good thing I enjoy my own rooms, that I can play them again to re-record the demos.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-20-2005 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Okay. That is very odd, because I specifically remember checking those stairs, because I had fooled around with flipping the room North/South so that the stairs would lead up, but it messed up the passage to the next room and I didn't want to make any drastic changes. I don't think that could have set it to End Hold, but I will fix that when I get home tonight, and check the other stairs. I can't do it from work because my "Neil" player file is different and so it might think it is a different hold.

I really apologize for the inconvenience. Have some rank points.

Game on,

09-20-2005 at 10:45 PM
Oneiromancer
Oneiromancer wrote:
Doom wrote:
Well...It's definitely more difficult than the original, which had an author's difficulty of 7.5. The people voted it to be a 6 difficulty. I don't think that I should change my difficulty to match everyone else's...after all, the one that shows up in-game and on the Holds page is the voted difficulty. In any case, I chose to set the new difficulty relative to the original one, which is why I probably over-compensated. I don't think it's too big a deal in the long run.
Meh. I decided to lower my stated difficulty by 1/2 a brain for both Treasure Hunt versions. The problem is that even Bavato's Dungeon only has an 8 brain difficulty. I haven't even come close to finishing it, even back in AE...I think it's probably the hardest hold out there, and thus deserves a 10. The distribution of difficulty down to the 5 which is kind of KDD is hard to determine.

Anyway, the user's votes matter more, but I still lowered it a bit.

Game on,

09-21-2005 at 12:03 AM
Oneiromancer
wallu wrote:
Stairs in the room, Tomb Vault: Entrance, end the hold. I think that they should lead to next level.
I just uploaded a new version with correct stair destinations. I checked the other stairs as well. Thanks again! Unfortunately everyone will have to upload their scores again. :?

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 09-21-2005 02:44 AM]
09-21-2005 at 02:44 AM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
A very nice hold. It's not very often I play a hold from start to finish. Many of the rooms were interestingly difficult if I could say such a thing :P

I've never played the original Treasure Hunt, but I might now.

Level 3, 3W:
Click here to view the secret text

The secrets are great too.

09-28-2005 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Yellow_Mage wrote:
A very nice hold. It's not very often I play a hold from start to finish. Many of the rooms were interestingly difficult if I could say such a thing :P
Thanks!
I've never played the original Treasure Hunt, but I might now.
Heh, you should probably. Most of the rooms will probably be a lot easier, but you never know...they might not since you did this one first!
Level 3, 3W:
What did you do with the decoy? Proper placement of that basically makes both halves of the room about equal difficulty, and length.

Thanks again!

Game on,

09-28-2005 at 08:17 PM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Oneiromancer wrote:

What did you do with the decoy? Proper placement of that basically makes both halves of the room about equal difficulty, and length.

Well, now that's interesting.

09-29-2005 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Well, the whole point of the decoy for me is...

Game on,

09-29-2005 at 05:39 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Neil, did you realize that it's impossible to backtrack through Tomb Vault: 1S, 2W after completing it? There isn't enough room in the red door chamber to be able to get the mimic to span the distance between the end trapdoors and the center trapdoors. Have been stuck on the level because of it. Perhaps you could add two mimic potions surrounded by a green door outside the red door area?

-Noah

My stuff:

10-20-2005 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
NoahT wrote:
Neil, did you realize that it's impossible to backtrack through Tomb Vault: 1S, 2W after completing it? There isn't enough room in the red door chamber to be able to get the mimic to span the distance between the end trapdoors and the center trapdoors. Have been stuck on the level because of it. Perhaps you could add two mimic potions surrounded by a green door outside the red door area?
Actually, it's not impossible. Someone else asked this in the Architecture thread, and there is a way through.

Looking at the high score page for this hold also would have revealed that several people have solved the hold, so it is clear it isn't impossible. :)

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 10-20-2005 01:24 AM]
10-20-2005 at 01:21 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I've finished the hold at last, including *that* room on the second level. Overall, it was a nice hold, getting a 8+ from me and 7 brains for difficulty (as in "challenging, with little frustration involved).

In particular, I've found the Tomb Vault level to be quite good, with some of my favourite rooms in the hold, and the interconnections between the rooms. I'm not quite so fond of The Horde level, mainly because I feel it does not mix very well with the three others.
12-11-2005 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Mastered, and beat the room behind the master door.

To respond to the scroll behind the master door: it was still hard, and it still wasn't that much fun. ;)

I really enjoyed the upgrade. I had particular trouble with:

Tomb Vault: 1S2W
Tomb Escaper: 2W

and the two new rooms. Everything else was pretty easy, some easier, some harder than the original.

Overall I give it an 8 and 6 brains of difficulty.

Josh

12-21-2006 at 09:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Treasure Hunt Master Quest (Miscellaneous puzzles with a story...upgraded and harder!) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com