Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Another Slayer killed... (We're going to run out of them...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Bombadil
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 509
IP: Logged

File: JtRH Twenty-Second Level 2W Slayer killed.demo (5.6 KB)
Downloaded 206 times.
License: Other
icon Another Slayer killed... (+2)  
I think I've found another Slayer kill (on JtRH Twenty-Second Level 2W)...

Tell me if it's already been noticed or it's a little bug to fix.
09-16-2005 at 02:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Another Slayer killed... (0)  
I don't know if it is a known bug, but the same kind of manoeuvre can also be used to kill the Slayer in at least the rooms L3:4N1W, L3:4N3W, L3:3N3W and L3:1N3W (I've currently only tried it in rooms on the third level, so there's probably a whole lot more rooms where it's possible), so it's not really a minor glitch.

[Last edited by Stefan at 09-17-2005 01:27 AM]
09-17-2005 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
icon Re: Another Slayer killed... (+2)  
Stefan wrote:
I don't know if it is a known bug, but the same kind of manoeuvre can also be used to kill the Slayer in at least the rooms L3:4N1W, L3:4N3W, L3:3N3W and L3:1N3W (I've currently only tried it in rooms on the third level, so there's probably a whole lot more rooms where it's possible), so it's not really a minor glitch.

So now you're the one who can say... "Ooh... This manoeuvre I've seen before...". ;)

What does the manoeuvre consist in?
09-17-2005 at 09:16 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119

File: Kill the Slayer.hold (1 KB)
Downloaded 466 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Another Slayer killed... (+3)  
Here's a small hold that illustrates the manoeuvre. The Slayer can be killed in every corner of the room. A demo of one of the kills is included.

09-17-2005 at 03:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
That was pretty interesting. Thanks a lot!
09-18-2005 at 05:37 PM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
how the heck do you kill the slayer in your demo room??

it appears there's some kind of bug in your demo.....
ive used the exact same turns as your demo but it's impossible since the slayer NEVER moves backwards away from you!

plz tell me hoe this is possible.... maybe you have a different version......... or you used a script..........
09-20-2005 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Check to make sure you have the 2.0.9 version of DROD...it will say so in the upper right corner of the title screen. If you don't, you can get the patch via the downloads page on drod.net.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-20-2005 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I've got 2.0.9, and Stefan's demo works on mine.
09-20-2005 at 10:23 PM
Chris
Rank Points: 144
I think Stefan's demo works for Insane too, but he has tried to duplicate it by making the same moves and can't.

My guess would be that he's not quite copying exactly the same moves, but what do I know.
09-20-2005 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: Another Slayer killed... (+1)  
thx ive downloaded the 2.0.9 Patch and now everything works!!!!!

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 09-21-2005 01:09 PM]
09-21-2005 at 01:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
key-smiter
Rank Points: 121
Stefan wrote:
Here's a small hold that illustrates the manoeuvre. The Slayer can be killed in every corner of the room. A demo of one of the kills is included.
Hmmm. How do I access the demo? Importing the hold and striking F6 shows no demos, there's nothing to import, and conquering the room by running to the exit shows only that this hold is not published on CaravelNet.

Of course, I'm overlooking something simple. What is that simple thing?

Thanks -
05-07-2006 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Select the hold and then press 'Watch Demo' on the main menu.
05-07-2006 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
key-smiter
Thanks. That worked. Now. . . I'm in the same apparent boat as Insane, above . . . where even though I've been doing the same sequence of moves as in the demo, the Slayer's behavior is just like normal. I've also tried striking "5" at different points, in case that is necessary . . . but no.

The simplest answer is this old Slayer behavior was due to a bug that is now fixed. (I'm now at 2.0.12) Is that so, and it's "move on, nothing to see here"?

Thanks -
05-07-2006 at 06:41 PM
Banjooie
Nope, the trick still works. I just did it myself, just now.
05-07-2006 at 11:54 PM
key-smiter
Ah. So it's my delinquency somewhere. Is there a way to "open" a demo file to see the exact order of moves? Superficially following the "7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 Etc" in the demo doesn't give me the same results the demo does.

Thanks -
05-08-2006 at 01:16 AM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
Use the right and left arrow keys. This allows you to step through the demo move by move and you can see exactly what moves Beethro does or doesn't make.
05-08-2006 at 03:26 AM
Banjooie
Alright, let's explain the trick in less..exact terms. You won't always be able to mimic Stefan's trick exactly, so let's just...y'know, go for the basics of how it works, working backwards from the answer.
Click here to view the secret text

Secreted because this is approximately What"TheJeebus' long.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 10-26-2011 10:05 AM]
05-08-2006 at 09:03 AM
nickcoffey
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
And suppose that a custom-made hold won't allow you to turn your sword in the room [where you are to battle the slayer]. How would one slay the slayer then? Specifically:

05-16-2006 at 06:11 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I believe the answer to that already resides in the Hints & Solutions board...
05-16-2006 at 11:57 AM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392

File: Slayer Hunter.zip (16.9 KB)
Downloaded 141 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Slayer Hunter (+1)  
I was casually watching some of these demos and I decided to scan through JtRH and tried to find ways how to kill the slayer. Well, I was quite happy, because I found about 10 ways, that i haven't found posted. And Level 3 The room with the blue door, I found 4 ways to kill him! Have a look and see.

05-19-2006 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cstatham
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Banjooie wrote:
Alright, let's explain the trick in less..exact terms. You won't always be able to mimic Stefan's trick exactly, so let's just...y'know, go for the basics of how it works, working backwards from the answer.

Secreted because this is approximately What"TheJeebus' long.
10-25-2011 at 08:28 PM
Banjooie
I have chosen to take that as a request to fix the awkward backslash escaping that made my formatting wrong these five years ago.

Then I fixed the formatting.

So applaud this random fellow who did nothing but quote me.
10-26-2011 at 10:06 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Banjooie wrote:
. . . fix the awkward backslash escaping that made my formatting wrong these five years ago.

Oh I remember that - I think. :~( I certainly remember something about 'backslashes' and 'escaping'.

yes - its HERE

[Last edited by Elfstone at 10-26-2011 11:24 AM]
10-26-2011 at 11:00 AM
Penumbra
Rank Points: 358
cstatham wrote:Question: I am looking at the diagram, you say he is on the wall. I guess I don't understand the diagram. Does an X mean an empty space? and I think this diagram means my body is 2 squares beneath the slayer's body. Is that correct? I am determined to kill this smarmy dude!

He actually did ask a question, he just buried it inside the third secret tag. He did color it red, though.
10-26-2011 at 05:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Another Slayer killed... (We're going to run out of them...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com