Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Searching for special characters
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
pigletto
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
IP: Logged
icon Searching for special characters (+1)  
I put "Beethro's Mission" into the search bar to find the thread for a hold. The one I was looking for wasn't on the first page, so I went to the second page. Then I got this error:
Your search phrase cannot contain special characters.
Fair enough, but surely if I'm going to get that error I should never have been able to see the first page of search results?
02-21-2007 at 08:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Searching for special characters (+1)  
I've come across that problem too. I have no idea why it happens, so I can't help you there, but if you're looking for information on specific rooms in a Hold you will find the Hints and Solutions board very helpful.

02-21-2007 at 11:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
I have no idea why it happens[...]
It happens because the links for the other pages contain a "\" (backslash) before the apostrophe - sure, you need a backslash to escape the apostrophe for an SQL query, but it shouldn't be in the link.

If you remove the \ in the URL that caused the error by hand you actually *can* get to the other pages, so I guess there's something in Schik's code that needs fixing...

02-21-2007 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Searching for special characters (+3)  
Briareos wrote:
It happens because the links for the other pages contain a "\" (backslash) before the apostrophe - sure, you need a backslash to escape the apostrophe for an SQL query, but it shouldn't be in the link.

If you remove the \ in the URL that caused the error by hand you actually *can* get to the other pages, so I guess there's something in Schik's code that needs fixing...

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!

(that being the sound of whatever you are trying to explain disappearing way above my useless old head!) :~(

Thanks anyway Briareos! I'm sure some people will understand that.

Me? - I didn't actually know that I needed a backslash to escape the apostrophe for an SQL query. :-O I seem to have managed to get to this ripe old age without ever having attempted to escape an apostrophe. Ah well, there are only so many adventures one can cram into a single life. Mind you, given all that I have learnt about computers since joining this site, it really wouldn't surprise me if, some day, I come face to face with an "SQL query" and now I will know to grab the nearest backslash! :D

02-21-2007 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Searching for special characters (+5)  
Briareos wrote:
...sure, you need a backslash to escape the apostrophe for an SQL query...

There is a theory circulating among some of the lower-ranking archivists that the original giant cockroach was not the result of some insane biologist's experiment gone wrong, but the result of some insane linguist's experiment gone wrong. The story goes that Avnom, a linguist of the Empire, reasoned as follows:

"Why do we use an apostrophe? Well, because some letter is being left out: shouldn't has an apostrophe because the 'o' in 'not' is left out, and so on. In theory, that means that if you pull out an apostrophe, the 'o' will pop back into existence, and if you pull hard enough and fast enough, you should be able to generate a certain amount of force from the popping."

His initial experiments were a success, but he got cocky; after gaining a certain amount of renown by demonstrating that the raising and lowering of doors could in fact be powered by the popping of apostrophes, he attempted an SQL query. That is to say, he wanted to answer the question plaguing experimental linguists of the time, the Standard Quotation Linguification question, so he devised an SQL sentence (i.e. a standard linguification, quoted) and ran an experiment with it: "The bo's'n's fo'c'sle won't be available 'til ten o'clock". Doing so, he set off a chain reaction. Apostrophes were forced out of sentences all around the room, and as they bounced off the walls, some of them rammed into one another, eventually coagulating into a giant roach with six apostrophe-shaped legs.

Archivists believe that Avnom could have saved himself, but he panicked when the roach saw him and started screaming "Don't! It can't be! It won't stop!", thereby generating more apostrophes and fueling the growth of the roaches.

Delvers, on the other hand, are fully aware that his mistake wasn't generating more apostrophes; his mistake was backing straight back towards the wall, rather than grabbing a sword and moving diagonally backwards. That is, you need a backslash to escape the apostrophe for an SQL query.

(god i should be working)
02-21-2007 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
icon Re: Searching for special characters (0)  
Elfstone wrote:
(that being the sound of whatever you are trying to explain disappearing way above my useless old head!) :~(

Thanks anyway Briareos! I'm sure some people will understand that.
Well, it was aimed at the more technical people (read: Schik) - but at least I supplied a workaround that wasn't meant to go over you in any way or form... ;)

Just click any of those non-working links that bring up the error message, delete any extra \'s (not to be confused with the /'s that need to stay) you find in your browser's address bar, then hit enter.

That's hopefully just until the root of the problem is fixed, mind you... :D

(Of course, I'm doing web development stuff for a living so if it were that easy for everyone to comprehend what I say I might find myself out of a job... :lol)

PS to Schik: (secret-ed to protect the innocent)
Click here to view the secret text

np: Autechre - Arch Carrier (LP5)

02-21-2007 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5416
icon Re: Searching for special characters (+2)  
Briareos wrote:
Well, it was aimed at the more technical people (read: Schik) - but at least I supplied a workaround that wasn't meant to go over you in any way or form... ;)
Not sure how you got the idea I'm technical. I opened up the server and looked around for little doodads that look like \, and ripped them out of there.

Does it work now?

02-21-2007 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
pigletto
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
Yes, it seems to work fine now :)
02-21-2007 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Schik wrote:
Does it work now?
Sure does. :)

np: Autechre - Liccflii (EP7)

02-21-2007 at 08:17 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
As a side note, backslashes apparently disappear when receiving the forum by email. A big hello to everyone reading the web version:
\   \ \\\\\ \     \      \\\
\   \ \     \     \     \   \
\\\\\ \\\   \     \     \   \
\   \ \     \     \     \   \
\   \ \\\\\ \\\\\ \\\\\  \\\
(No, I didn't just sneeze while holding a box of matches :blush.)

++Adam H. Peterson
02-21-2007 at 09:39 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Guys, stop it! Laughing in the library is getting me funny looks. -_-
02-22-2007 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Searching for special characters
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com