Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Auto import of .hold, .player, .demo files
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
IP: Logged
icon Auto import of .hold, .player, .demo files (+1)  
Wouldn't it be nice if double clicking on a .hold, .player, or .demo file imported it into DROD? At least in Windows and on a Mac.

For players, it could open drod, import the player, and maybe show the "who are you" dialog with that player selected.

For holds, it could import the hold, show the "who are you" dialog, and select the new hold as the current hold.

For demos... I don't know. I generally download those if I want to watch it. Perhaps it could take you to that room (if you have access to it) and start playing the demo?

07-04-2003 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Auto import of .hold, .player, .demo files (+1)  
There could be a problem, of course, if other programs also use these associations - .hold is probably safe, but .player and .demo could belong to many games.

In fact, I would suggest renaming the extensions - as someone posted on the bug thread, they are unfriendly to certain networks (which only accept three letter extensions), and they are not very helpful if you don't remember to what application they belong. I'd recommend:

.drp (drod player)
.drh (drod hold)
.drd (drod demo)

as the extensions.

But then again, I come from a DOS background so three letter extensions are the only ones that seem natural to me. And yes, I'm aware that the claim that .drp is more informative than .player would seem ridiculous to most people, but extension ambiguity is normally a far bigger problem than extension indecipherability.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-04-2003 at 05:15 AM]

07-04-2003 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Silly windows and their file extensions... useless.
The IANA registration is based on MIME type, though windows insists on the silly extension thing. Anyway, to do this properly we should register a mime with IANA. I don't think they enforce a unique dos/win file extension, but it's a good idea to do the research and find one. We then invent a ProgID to enter in the windows registry, and also create registry entries for the filename extensions to associate the mime type.

No idea how this sort of thing works on Macs, but since double clicking an associated file on windows launches the app with the path to the file as argv[1], unix users could use this feature in their shell.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 07-05-2003 at 12:57 AM]
07-04-2003 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
Schik wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if double clicking on a .hold, .player, or .demo file imported it into DROD? At least in Windows and on a Mac.

For players, it could open drod, import the player, and maybe show the "who are you" dialog with that player selected.

For holds, it could import the hold, show the "who are you" dialog, and select the new hold as the current hold.

For demos... I don't know. I generally download those if I want to watch it. Perhaps it could take you to that room (if you have access to it) and start playing the demo?
I was going to request this, but then I figured I'd search the feature requests board first before spamming the place up with dupes. Arise from the dead, useful feature request! :frankie

I'd like to be able to double click on or download a demo or hold file, and have DROD launch, automatically import it, and possibly even run the demo, or launch the hold. I'm lazy like that. :D
04-21-2005 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
icon Re: Auto import of .hold, .player, .demo files (0)  
Schik wrote:
That looks like a great suggestion.
I think that you should be able to have it import the hold and then quit.
Several times I have wished that their was an easy way to import all of the demos in a folder. I think that you should suppress the select your player dialog if their is only one player, and have some way to make drod quit automaticly. That way it wouldn't be to hard to import sevral demos at once.

05-05-2005 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
patmo98 wrote:
Several times I have wished that their was an easy way to import all of the demos in a folder.
Importing multiple files at once will be in DROD 3.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-06-2005 at 09:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
Drod 3 is The City Beneath?

05-06-2005 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
rowrow wrote:
Drod 3 is The City Beneath?
Yeah, you could use them to mean the same thing.

-Erik

05-11-2005 at 09:07 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
In DROD:TCB, you will be able to drag and drop .hold, .player, and .demo files onto the application to import them into DROD. Alternately, you can specify files to import on the command line.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-31-2005 06:43 PM]
06-11-2005 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Auto import of .hold, .player, .demo files
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com