Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Mimic-Can't-Be-Placed Floor
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
IP: Logged
icon Mimic-Can't-Be-Placed Floor (0)  
With the room architect option, I thought of an INCREDIBLE puzzle. I have only one problem, and it could easily be solved if there were a floor pattern that was EXACTLY as normal, other than you cannot place a mimic at that spot. Red floor is KIND OF like that, but then there are other limitations that are present. It would be nice if there were just a can't-place-a-mimic-here floor (but a mimic can walk on it after being placed, as well as Beethro and monsters)
07-04-2003 at 01:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Mimic-Can't-Be-Placed Floor (0)  
The normal way of managing this is to force the mimic to be placed at a certain point, by putting a monster there that cannot otherwise be reached

The smallest such configuration I can think of:

####
#R >
####

With 'R' being a roach trapped by an arrow. The only way to kill it is to place the mimic next to it.

That said, this is a somewhat cumbersome solution; I think that the best solution would be adding the ability, in the editor, to place mimics directly; that way, you could have rooms where the player has no control over mimic placement, and no new floor types need be coded.

Of course, the one thing possible with these floors not possible now nor with my suggestion is to have a limited, but greater than 1, selection of mimic starting points.

07-04-2003 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Can you make it a breakable wall and somehow make it so that Beethro can't smash the wall until he's placed the mimic?
07-04-2003 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
butsam
Breakable Wall won't work for the particular puzzle I have in mind because then the mimic can "bounce off" the unbroken wall, so unfortunately that is not an option for the particular puzzle. The other thing is not acceptable because I will have TWO mimic potions on the level, and only ONE mimic that actually does any of the "killing"...the second mimic is...well...I don't know if I should say...well, OK you got me...I wanted to make a puzzle where your mimic has to start out in one place, move along, but in order for the mimic to get high enough to kill the second monster, the mimic must "bounce off" the SECOND mimic you place just below the first mimic. Since the first mimic (above the second mimic) moves first, it can't move down. After one bounce, you will then be able to reach the other snake.

The bad thing is there is no way to currently do this that I can think of...any ideas?

Sam
07-04-2003 at 01:53 AM
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
The only way I can think of doing so is designing the puzzle so that you have to navigate the first mimic through a small maze to put it in position, and then place the second mimic, and do the same. Careful design will allow for this. Not sure if it will create the same effect.

It might be better, though - if you have special anti-mimic floors all over the place, it makes the right mimic placement quite obvious.

07-04-2003 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
butsam
Found a way to do it! YAY! OK, disregard...for future people, there is a way to use arrows to do this sort of thing!

Sam
07-04-2003 at 03:25 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Mimic-Can't-Be-Placed Floor
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes