Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Whispering walls (Something's seeping through the walls)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (21 votes)
σ 1.05
Author Name:Tscott
Submitted By:Tscott
Hold Name:Whispering walls
Theme:Something's seeping through the walls
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:19
Number of Monsters:2842
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Whispering walls.hold (17.8 KB)
Downloaded 2348 times.
License: Other
icon Whispering walls  
Here's a small 2 level (well, one and a half levels really) hold with a variety of puzzle elements, but one particular JtRH element is featured in every room and usually (but not always) the focus of the room.

Beethro's been asked to find his way in, fight his way through the defenses and destroy the source of the infestation. Can he do it? Grab your sword and find out.
06-10-2005 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Whispering walls (+2)  
Very nice hold.

This hold should be a good primer on seeps.

level 1: 1E is excellently done. A golem is blocking your exit and you must figure out where and how to kill it. It has several nice tricks.

Level 1: 1N is another notable room where one must arrange the seeps before triggering an orb.
07-22-2005 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Whispering walls (+1)  
Seconded.

Hey, don't look at me like that. Larrymurk already said everything I was going to write about the hold. Still, I ought to show my appreciation to the hold author, hence this post.
12-11-2005 at 10:43 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I enjoyed this hold as well. Though my favorite room was the gatekeeper room which is right at the beginning. The only other really challenging room in the hold were the efficiency rooms (which I don't particularly like in general). The other rooms in the hold were fun to play, but not terribly difficult.

01-22-2006 at 08:09 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I just finished the hold today, and it's going down in my books as one of the best holds out there. Rooms were very well designed and pleasing to the eye, and Hive: Entrance was a well done "Chase scene" room.

06-27-2007 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
I agree with all that have been said, and although Infestation was great, I cant believe how much fun I had beating The Hive. Thank you!
09-06-2007 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
This hold has been languishing in my 'Explored but Unconquered' stack for over two years, and I finally got motivated and went back to tackle the room that had been vexing me for so long: The Hive: Entrance. It turned out to not be a terribly difficult room after all, although figuring out the proper path to the spot you have to reach first took some time. After that, I went on to conquer and master the rest of the hold.

So now I can finally rate it:

This is an excellent JtRH hold, focusing primarily on seep but also using tarstuff and golems to good effect. It's not too hard, but some of the puzzles will definitely make you think.

I give it a 9 for fun and 6 brains of difficulty.

Josh

10-08-2009 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
Bluh, don't sit down and solve this hold in one go, you'll be seeing seep bleeding through your kitchen walls and crawling over the back of your eyelids to nibble on your dreams. The hold has plenty of enjoyably clever puzzles and all, but also a few too many straight hack and slash rooms that eventually grind you down. The Hive's 'boss' hoard room was especially tedious; the smaller, challengeless hack and slash room it then actually finishes with felt more like a slap in the face than a reward.

Level aesthetics are inconsistent, but room to room there's nothing distracting. One room that needlessly used spiders was juuuuuust cute enough for me to put aside how much I hate them for long enough to solve it. One of the secret rooms was also pretty amusing.

Good on average, but not great.
05-13-2013 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
This is a pretty nice old-school seep hold. If you like seep, you should check this one out. It also uses other elements competently and has a good mix of rooms involving finding a clever approach to the room and rooms involving close-quarter combat skills.

It's also pretty short, so it's not a big time investment to check it out.

03-12-2020 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Whispering walls (Something's seeping through the walls) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com