Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Queens-a-plenty
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Queens-a-plenty (+4)  
It seems that sooner or later, someone suggests a "queen" type monster for every existing monster.

We've had goblin queens, wraithwing queens, spider queens, spider queens, queen queens, and now wubba queens.

It seems that for every sort of monster that's out there, someone suggest a queen sooner or later.

So, I thought I'd beat the crowd and suggest a few new monsters:

- Rock golem queen
- Seep queen
- Guard queen
- Tar baby queen
- Mud baby queen
- Serpent queen
- Rattlesnake queen
- Brain queen
- Evil eye queen
- Tar mother queen
- Mud mother queen
- Slayer queen
- Halph queen
- Mimic queens
- Decoy queens
- Character queen

There we go. This, by the way, isn't meant as a way of putting down the people who made the above suggestions - it's just that really, there's no point in having a thread for each queen type.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:05-30-2005 at 05:39 PM]

05-30-2005 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Queens-a-plenty (0)  
;) You forgot the Roachqueen-queen. And what about a wall queen ? It will spawn crumbly roaches around ever crumbly wall shes connected with. Muhahaha ! Or a ortho square queen ?

Oh, my favourite is the Halph Queen.

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:05-30-2005 at 05:43 PM]
05-30-2005 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
;) You forgot the Roachqueen-queen.

No I didn't, that's one of the ones that were already suggested by others :)

05-30-2005 at 05:46 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
I want to see a queen queen queen. Or maybe a wubba queen queen.
05-30-2005 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Or maybe a rocky queen? Or a force arrow queen? Or a sword queen? Or a Beethro queen! How about a dungeon queen? Pit queen? Trapdoor queen? Secret queen? Door queen? JTRH queen. An Eighth Queen!
Ahh I am all queen'ed out!

[Last edited by rowrow at 03-27-2007 12:42 AM]
05-30-2005 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Queens-a-plenty (+1)  
Of those, I think seep queen would be the one with actual "new" possibilities - seeps are wall roaches, and a queen that hid in the remotest wall section available (better hope there's a door there or you forced her to a wall section you can reach after trapping her with spawn) would actually be "newish" and possibly interesting.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-30-2005 at 06:45 PM: grammar]

05-30-2005 at 06:16 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Seems like a good opportunity for a ray gun smiley. Oh, well. I actually like the idea of a seep generator, but I think that new generators should be different from roach queens. We've got roach queens and something just like it except ________ doesn't add as much variety. My idea of a seep generator would be stationary and generate a new seep every five turns until killed. (Something in the walls that runs away would be too vicious to be useful in very many puzzles, IME.) And in the interest of keeping all queen related thoughts in one thread, I'll mention here that I'm not too hot on most of the other queen ideas although I could possibly get behind a well thought out wraithwing generator.

++Adam H. Peterson
05-30-2005 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
I feel like I shouldn't post this, but as long as we're on the topic of crazy queen ideas:

Edge queen
Can live on floors and inside walls, but must always be adjacent to at least one floor tile without obstacle or orb and one solid tile. Opening doors or closing doors can kill her if they make that condition untrue. Moves away from the swordsman just like a roach queen. Every 30 turns, she lays roach eggs and seep eggs.

05-30-2005 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
silver wrote:
Of those, I think seep queen would be the one with actual "new" possibilities - seeps are wall roaches, and a queen that hid in the remotest wall section available (better hope there's a door there or you forced her to a wall section you can reach after trapping her with spawn) would actually be "newish" and possibly interesting.
I agree. The new hold I've been working on focuses on seeps and I found myself wishing for a seep-queen in a couple of spots. The main drawback would be in many rooms there would be many places a seep queen could run to and be free from harm and brained seep queens would (if they were really smart) just stay away from any wall edges, if possible. But careful room planing and careful balancing of the movement rules when 'brained' could lead to some very interesting rooms for this type of queen.

Edit: And after typing all that I find I missed schep's edge-queen idea, which sounds great and wouldn't have the problems I just talked about. A very interesting proposed solution.

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-31-2005 at 12:25 AM]

05-31-2005 at 12:22 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Why not just have some kind of monster/object to handle them all ?

For example customizable Summoner monster would summon specified monsters once per spawn cycle. Visualisation would be small hovering icon on top of summoner. No need for separate monsters and people wouldn't be able to complain that "it makes no sense to have guards spawned from eggs".

You could make some kind of summoning swirl instead of egg, and the problem's gone.

EDIT
Implementing Summoner would be sixteen birds with one rock. Besides, with each new DROD release, people would be coming up with new queen ideas. Solve it once and for all, please.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:05-31-2005 at 04:51 PM]

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
05-31-2005 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Yeah, like all those pushable block requests.

05-31-2005 at 08:41 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
b0rsuk wrote:
For example customizable Summoner monster would summon specified monsters once per spawn cycle.
Would it be able to summon summoning monsters? :P

One alternative could be a device like a tunnel, that takes in one creature at one end, and pops out two at the other end, or one each for multiple tunnel exits.
06-01-2005 at 07:15 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
re: above

Yet another example that adding extra queens can substract from gameplay.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
06-01-2005 at 09:47 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I want to see chess queens in DROD!
Of course they will probably make short work of Beethro what with their ability to move any distance in any of the eight cardinal directions each turn. And that's about the only additional type of queen I'd like to see.

06-02-2005 at 10:34 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
We need a development team queen, generating additional new team members, so we get more of these feature requests implemented.
06-02-2005 at 12:32 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I'd say that's Brittany...but that would probably get me slapped by both she, Erik, and other dev board members. So I'm not going to suggest it, just mention that I thought of it.

I'm probably still going to get slapped.

06-02-2005 at 03:18 PM
egg egg
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
Is it just me or does queen not even look like a word anymore?
06-03-2005 at 10:27 AM
ArchMageOmega
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 9
Well, you could use the scripting system to make a ???-queen, if there were a command to allow it to clone itself.
06-03-2005 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
icon Re: Queens-a-plenty (+2)  
I can picture it now:

A room with a serpent that requires a roach-like monster to kill it.

The only other monster in the room : a roach queen queen queen queen queen queen queen queen queen queen queen queen ... thus forcing yon gentle player to wait as RQ^n spawns RQ^(n-1) spawns RQ^(n-2) etcetera
06-04-2005 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Queens-a-plenty
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com