Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
Page 2 of 12
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon Re: Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
The date/time stamp noting that a message was edited is always GMT, regardless of the reader's time zome settings. This should always be whatever the individual sets.
It's that way because the text saying the message was edited is inserted into your message - To fix this I'd have to put tags around the text which would have to be interpreted and substituted... I'm not really sure it's worth it. I guess there are other ways to do it to, but I'm not sure any of them are worth it.

07-12-2003 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
Alright then, just as a little niggle, how about just adding "GMT" after the time, just so it is obvious? This is probably totally unimportant, but hey, nitpicking is fun!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-12-2003 at 05:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I really like it that now when you click on a topic, it takes you to the last post that you haven't read. But on a topic that has more than one page, it goes directly to the first post on the first page, instead of on a later page. Maybe this is only for me, I don't know. Or do you have to click on the correct page number instead of the topic title?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-16-2003 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
But on a topic that has more than one page, it goes directly to the first post on the first page, instead of on a later page. Maybe this is only for me, I don't know.
Nope, that's a known bug that I just haven't had time to fix yet. Thanks for reminding me though...

07-16-2003 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Another small/not really important thing: the Member List is in alphabetical order only. Can there also be an option to sort it by other fields? Like User Status/Posts Made or Date Registered? Like I said, not really important, just sometimes interesting to see the users represented in this way.

Game on,

07-18-2003 at 10:19 PM
Oneiromancer
Also, a lot of boards, below the list of what members are online, tell you the most number of people online at once and the day and time. For example, right now, Saturday at 1:45 PM PDT, there are 10 people on the forums. That's the most I've ever seen here, although I am sure there were more in the past. Anyway, just a little statistic thing that is kinda neat.

Game on,

07-19-2003 at 09:46 PM
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
Would it be possible if the mark all posts read link not only marked the posts read but also moved you back to the main menu?
07-25-2003 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Hey, here's another thing: can you make it so that when you reply to a PM it shows the PM you are replying to at the bottom of the screen, just like when you reply to a post? And maybe even have a "Quote Reply" button? It sure would be useful...

Game on,

08-21-2003 at 07:36 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Probably it should be changed so posts being edited can be previewed.

Here is a suggestion not for the forum but for DROD.net itself: perhaps the News page could write a prediction of the date of the next update, do reduce worrying and impatience.

Maybe there could also be more smilies, to match more emotions and situations.

One more thing-I'd taken a look at another forum much older than this one, how about if you can put your age in your profile if you want to, and it can be displayed in the left area.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-23-2003 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I also want to know about the possibility of announcements having threads, and non-admins starting sticky threads.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-23-2003 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Making a thread sticky should always only be the province of administrators and moderators. They are the only ones who should determine if a post is important enough to keep at the top of the forum.

Predicting updates is dangerous. If the deadline is missed, people will become more "worried and impatient" than if there is no prediction.

Having your age in the profile would be fine, but having it on the left side is kind of odd.

More smilies is always a good idea, I second that motion.

Game on,

08-23-2003 at 12:51 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Hmmm... the problem I have with "updates expected" is that not everyone's in the same timezone. I get antsy when the update on Friday doesn't appear on Friday here, when it's still Thursday over there.

Of course, now I'm webmaster, I get to call the shots. The official policy is not to promise updates to avoid disappointment. The unofficial policy is to fiddle around with things and make minor updates every week or so, at least after AE goes live. Before then I have to rewrite more than a few pages, add a few things and generally shuffle the site around. But I doubt there will be any sort of prediction about when a thing will be fixed, mainly because I'll fix it when I find it.

Someone introduce a show-stopping bug. I'd like more time.

Hee hee.

Matt

08-23-2003 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
If anyone's gonna introduce showstopping bugs it's gonna be me! ...you know, because I'm the coder...and, you know...coders introduce bugs, and... ah, forget it...

But you're definitely right. All the bugs discussed this last week have been pretty scrawny lookin. When we're done I'm gonna have to listening to a rousing bout of "We Are the Champions"! This beta is like the proverbial dead horse that has been kicked a few too many times.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-23-2003 at 05:05 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
With the reference to bugs, that is just such a very wrong image.

08-23-2003 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
In the CRPG Divine Divinity ("Stupid name, great game"), there is a secret "easter egg" area wherein you can meet all the programmers of the game. One of them gives you a really nice piece of armor if you kill some bugs in the basement. Three of the bugs are called "Object Not Found", "Infinite Loop", and "Out of Range" (or something to that effect) And they are pretty hard to kill, too!

Game on,

08-23-2003 at 09:11 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
I already suggested that we convert the smilies to the ones found on phpBB, just so they can be more standardized. We look like the Island of Misfit Smilies or something here. They appear to have been taken from... <counts them up; it takes a while> ...over 10 different collections. I created a zip file with a "basic" phpBB set in it and posted it somewhere, but I forget where. Fortunately I still have it.

08-25-2003 at 06:14 PM
Schik
I've been out of town and otherwise busy lately, but I'm back and doing a little work on the forum.

If you've posted in the last hour, you've probably noticed that that big delay when posting is now gone. It was caused by the server marking new posts as unread for everyone. I changed how I'm doing it a little, so if you notice things being different with regard to read/unread posts, let me know.

08-25-2003 at 07:58 PM
Oneiromancer
I just came on the forum, and there are several new posts, but they are all marked as read. Perhaps you're working on this already, but you said to let you know, so...

Game on,

08-25-2003 at 09:39 PM
Schik
Yeah, sorry about that. I think it's fixed. Not quite sure how that happened.

08-25-2003 at 09:51 PM
Schik
Okay, I don't think anybody *requested* this, but... hey... I wanted to do it.

The statistics page is slightly more interesting now. It defaults to the User Statistics Page, as it did before, but now there are a couple other pages. General needs work, but I didn't have time to finish it tonight. The Forums/Topics page isn't quite finished either - I need to make the topic names link to the threads at the very least, and maybe let the user select the # of items to see.

What do you guys think?

08-26-2003 at 05:53 AM
Oneiromancer
It rocks! Very cool...but then it's always cool when a post you made is #1 on one of the lists... :D

Game on,

08-26-2003 at 07:52 AM
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
Also, a lot of boards, below the list of what members are online, tell you the most number of people online at once and the day and time. For example, right now, Saturday at 1:45 PM PDT, there are 10 people on the forums. That's the most I've ever seen here, although I am sure there were more in the past. Anyway, just a little statistic thing that is kinda neat.
I haven't done this, but I did just notice that there are two registered users and twenty one guests active right now!!?!?! Whoa.... did a link to the site just get out somewhere new?

08-26-2003 at 03:24 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Sometimes on the main page if I hit F5 or the reload button on my browser repeatedly the number of guests gradually increases. Not necessarily one each reload. But I brought the number of guests up to 29 once that way. (Just to confirm that it was actually me...) I was logged in at the same time.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-26-2003 at 04:34 PM
Oneiromancer
Yeah, I have noticed many times that the number of "Guests" is often inflated out of proportion. Sorry, I always forgot to mention something. For example, if you come to the forum, not logged in, and no one else is here, then there is 1 Guest. When you log in, there is suddenly yourself and 1 Guest. Right now there are 8 people logged in, and 16 Guests. Interesting...

Game on,

08-26-2003 at 05:01 PM
Oneiromancer
Here's something weird: I noticed that my title became "Smitemaster" at 499 posts, although it could have happened earlier. Isn't it supposed to be at 500 posts? (Which I will have after this post...which means here comes the obligatory Woo-Hoo!)

Edit: okay, very strange...when I tried to post this, it gave me an error message and said that there was Flood Control enabled, and that I couldn't post for 5 more seconds. So I clicked on the Back button, waited for a bit, and then tried to re-post. That went okay, but then it said I had 501 posts! Did one of my posts get lost in the DROD.net ether?

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-26-2003 at 05:10 PM GMT: Strange things are afoot]

08-26-2003 at 05:08 PM
Schik
I've finished up the loose ends in the Statistics, and added a few more things to the General Forum Statistics page.

08-26-2003 at 09:43 PM
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
Here's something weird: I noticed that my title became "Smitemaster" at 499 posts, although it could have happened earlier. Isn't it supposed to be at 500 posts? (Which I will have after this post...which means here comes the obligatory Woo-Hoo!)
Weird. No idea - the code looks right....
Edit: okay, very strange...when I tried to post this, it gave me an error message and said that there was Flood Control enabled, and that I couldn't post for 5 more seconds. So I clicked on the Back button, waited for a bit, and then tried to re-post. That went okay, but then it said I had 501 posts! Did one of my posts get lost in the DROD.net ether?
Interesting - yeah, the code to increment your post count comes right before the flood check. Easily fixed, I do believe. What an odd bug to even find!

08-26-2003 at 09:53 PM
Oneiromancer
Well, as long as we are discussing it, how does the flood control work? I mean, it wasn't like I was spamming the boards by posting very quickly...it took me at least a minute to write the post. Does it give that message if someone else happens to post anywhere else on the forum at the same time? Once you wait 5 seconds, does it then post the message, or are you supposed to do what I did and press Back, wait 5 seconds, and then try again?

Game on,

08-26-2003 at 10:23 PM
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
Well, as long as we are discussing it, how does the flood control work? I mean, it wasn't like I was spamming the boards by posting very quickly...it took me at least a minute to write the post. Does it give that message if someone else happens to post anywhere else on the forum at the same time?
It is done on a per-user basis. Each user can post every 5 seconds. Again, looking at the code, nothing jumps out at me as being wrong. I'm not sure why it gave you that error.
Once you wait 5 seconds, does it then post the message, or are you supposed to do what I did and press Back, wait 5 seconds, and then try again?
If it gives you that error, that's it - it's done. It's up to the user to try again.

08-26-2003 at 10:50 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Yeah, I have noticed many times that the number of "Guests" is often inflated out of proportion. Sorry, I always forgot to mention something. For example, if you come to the forum, not logged in, and no one else is here, then there is 1 Guest. When you log in, there is suddenly yourself and 1 Guest. Right now there are 8 people logged in, and 16 Guests. Interesting...

Any knowledge on this yet? Interesting indeed...

08-27-2003 at 01:51 PM
Page 2 of 12
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com