Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Fully Moddable DROD Holds (how "I would do it")
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon Fully Moddable DROD Holds (+1)  
so, you can attach a graphics file to a hold using the "image floor" feature... with the features of the 2.0.7 patch, all the necessary ingredients are place, they just need a smidge of glue.

if I were doing it, these would be the steps:
*1* (easyish) allow attaching a FooTiles.png and FooTiles.tim pair to a hold via an attach-graphics button on the hold edit screen. When a hold is loaded, it forces a graphics reload pretending that your new FooTiles.* stuff is specified in the [graphics] part of the .ini after everything else. (If a hold is loaded without any attached graphics, the forced reload thus UNloads the custom graphics from the last hold you visited).

*2* (easyish) similarly for StyleXTiles.png/.tim

*3* (easyish or medium, depending on if the textures already load right) allow attaching texture files via the attach graphics button ("MyStyleRoad.png"), so, if my .ini says
Style1=Style1
Style1=MyStyle

but the only "MyStyle" anything in my Data or attached-files set is "MyStyleRoad.png" then I expect it to look just like Style1 with a nice yellow-brick road texture. This may already work.

*4* (harder) can you say StyleXGeneralTiles.png/.tim? (i.e. snow covered roaches only in iceworks, for example). I knew you could.

*5* (really hard) Styles 1-3 are used for the default graphics, and there's a hardcoded "num styles = 3" in the source code, and whenever it loads a hold with styles 4-9 it goes to a conversion routine to force them into styles 1-3... but clearly you want to be able to add new styles. Style10, Style11, etc to the rescue :). "add new style" button would ask for a default style for it to mirror (1-3). but then the magic of steps 2, 3, and 4 listed above allow you to attach a new appearance to Style10. a second click adds Style11...

(and don't forget step *0* posted by someone else previously, which should be an easyish: "image walls" similar to "image floors")

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-24-2005 at 03:33 AM]

05-24-2005 at 03:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Fully Moddable DROD Holds (0)  
silver wrote:
*5* (really hard) Styles 1-3 are used for the default graphics, and there's a hardcoded "num styles = 3" in the source code, and whenever it loads a hold with styles 4-9 it goes to a conversion routine to force them into styles 1-3... but clearly you want to be able to add new styles. Style10, Style11, etc to the rescue :). "add new style" button would ask for a default style for it to mirror (1-3). but then the magic of steps 2, 3, and 4 listed above allow you to attach a new appearance to Style10. a second click adds Style11...
This will be in DROD 3:TCB, in a better way than this.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-24-2005 at 03:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1309
icon Re: Fully Moddable DROD Holds (+1)  
silver wrote:
*4* (harder) can you say StyleXGeneralTiles.png/.tim? (i.e. snow covered roaches only in iceworks, for example). I knew you could.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to point out that a GeneralTiles number in a Style1 tim will override the appropriate object only on that style, so what you ask is already possible. However, the reverse is not true.
04-27-2006 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Fully Moddable DROD Holds (how "I would do it")
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com