Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Making DROD: GM Edition
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon Making DROD: GM Edition (0)  
I will be making DROD on Game Maker http://www.gamemaker.nl)

Planned enemies in demo 1: Roaches, Goombas (LOL), Koopa (LOL), Queens Roaches.

Levels to be made in demo 1: 2

Info: An new style of DROD. Lynx view(you can see each step like in JtRH demos), Mario RPG&Sonic Music, and more enemies

Hope you will like the demo 1 when it will be out!

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-21-2005 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Making DROD: GM Edition (0)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Planned enemies in demo 1: Roaches, Goombas (LOL), Koopa (LOL), Queens Roaches.

Info: An new style of DROD. Lynx view(you can see each step like in JtRH demos), Mario RPG&Sonic Music, and more enemies.
While it sounds cool, be warned of proper copyright laws. Much in the same way that you are unable to distribute DROD's graphics, sounds, and levels, I'm sure the developers of Mario and Sonic wouldn't be too happy if you started distributing their music and graphics illegally. However, there is a lot of free music out there, such as Bjorn Lynne (Email him for permission).

Don't let this stop you, but just watch out for laws like that. After all, I'm sure you don't want any Feds knocking on you door anytime in the future, eh?

05-21-2005 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I'm making graphics too. ;)

But i can't "Make" Music. Is anyone able to make music for me?

But i'll use MIDIs if no one calls to help me at making music.

[Edited by Jeff_Ray... at Local Time:05-21-2005 at 07:51 PM]

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-21-2005 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
dreamisle
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
I seriously suggest not using Game Maker to make a DROD clone. Many of the step based events like roach queens and tar are going to muss up your code, and in GM turn based games usually end up being more trouble than they're worth.

If you still want to go for it, its nice that you're telling this community about it, but you really should be using the GM Community. Perhaps Dex can tell you how he did his

05-22-2005 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Skell had a quite good gamemaker DROD at a playable state, but abandoned it. You should check it out.
05-25-2005 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
That's true.
The problem was very big. I can list them for you:
1) GM is created in Delphi, not in C++, which makes it to be much slower, besides, you are not crearing it in Delphi, but in GM, so on that, you lost at least(Or at last <- Not sure) 50% of speed.
2) It's very hard to create fast algorithms in GM. If you don't have experience in programming, or very much experience in Array(Yes, you should do it in array, to make it work fast), I advise you, to first learn creating "Grid" games only in array. You can faster your game even 10 times, if you are good.
3) It might sound funny, but there are some algorithms which can drive you crazy (I still remember some bugs in DROS:rolleyes).

Well, I hope that it don't discouraged you. I really don't want to do this, but I think, that you should know what are you trying.And I'm not a bad creator(Can you create a path finding algorithm? I did it :))
I wish you luck, and if you want Dros.gm6 then visit my topic -> "D.R.O.S. (Skell Drod)":).

P.s.
Krishh: DROS really was quite good? Wow...

[Edited by skell at Local Time:05-28-2005 at 06:28 AM]

05-28-2005 at 06:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Making DROD: GM Edition (+1)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

But i can't "Make" Music. Is anyone able to make music for me?

[Edited by Jeff_Ray... at Local Time:05-21-2005 at 07:51 PM]

http://www.noteworthycomposer.com

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 08-28-2005 07:05 PM]
08-28-2005 at 07:04 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Making DROD: GM Edition
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com