Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Page 2 of 9
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (0)  
The source code for 2.0.8 is published. Get it at the link in the top post.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-06-2005 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
The web page still says 2.0.6, by the way.
06-06-2005 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Should be fixed. Remember to hit refresh on your browser.

-Erik

06-06-2005 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wmarkham
Yes, it's fine. My bad.
06-06-2005 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jlm
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (+1)  
Hello.
I can't find the source code. The link at the beginning of this topic http://www.caravelgames.com/sourcecode.html) is a 404 Not Found. I've looked around caravelgames.com, but don't see any mention of source code or open source.
Thanks.
07-22-2005 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Ah, thanks for pointing it out! I had to recreate a lot of lost web project files recently, and left out the sourcecode page by accident. Fixed now.

-Erik

07-22-2005 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Rank Points: 144
Two things:

1) http://www.caravelgames.com/sourcecode.html says that the download is for 2.0.8 but it's really for 2.0.9.

2) which version(s) of g++ can I use? And which version of pod_char_traits.h should I put in the 'ext' directory? The install setup instructions in Master/Linux/Config say "this section is outdated". Are there up-to-date build instructions anywhere? I'm running ubuntu breezy (as it currently stands). If anyone has a list of the ubuntu packages I need installed that would be super fine. :)

Thanks a lot.

Chris.
09-06-2005 at 05:55 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Chris wrote:
2) which version(s) of g++ can I use?
Any 3.x version should be fine. I've used 3.2.x, 3.3.x and 3.4.x myself without problems. Haven't tried 4.x yet, but will soon-ish.
And which version of pod_char_traits.h should I put in the 'ext' directory?
If you have a recent enough libstdc++ (g++ >= 3.3 or somesuch, I think), you don't need to -- it's part of the system headers in that case. Otherwise, just get the one from CVS like explained in Config.
The install setup instructions in Master/Linux/Config say "this section is outdated".
Yes, the install portion of the setup is outdated (ie what happens when you run "make install"). It may still work, but it's actually never been used, so I don't know :). In any case, the rest of the build system works fine.
Are there up-to-date build instructions anywhere?
Just make sure you're in the Master/Linux directory and run "make custom". You don't actually have to configure anything for that to work, but you might want to add "-DUSE_SDL_MIXER" to CXXFLAGS_custom in Config first, to use SDL_mixer in stead of FMOD. If you want more build options, just run "make" without any arguments to get instructions.

I'm running ubuntu breezy (as it currently stands). If anyone has a list of the ubuntu packages I need installed that would be super fine. :)
I don't use ubuntu, but I imagine you'll need devel packages of all the libraries used by JtRH -- metakit, zlib, expat, libpng, libjpeg, curl, SDL (but not version 1.2.8), SDL_ttf, freetype (not version 2.1.3), and either FMOD or SDL_mixer (with Ogg Vorbis support).

- Gerry
09-06-2005 at 06:45 PM
Chris
trick wrote:
I don't use ubuntu, but I imagine you'll need devel packages of all the libraries used by JtRH -- metakit, zlib, expat, libpng, libjpeg, curl, SDL (but not version 1.2.8), SDL_ttf, freetype (not version 2.1.3), and either FMOD or SDL_mixer (with Ogg Vorbis support).

- Gerry

Thanks for your help Gerry. I've got it compiling now and it runs!

The first thing I was failing to notice was that the build process isn't clever enough to notice that I uninstalled g++-4.0 and installed g++-3.4 instead between 2 builds, so I was seeing errors when using g++-3.4 which I wouldn't have seen if I had deleted the whole source directory and re-extracted the zip archive. I've been spoiled by IBM's "clearmake" which spots these kinds of things automatically.

Secondly, the SDL that comes with ubuntu's 'breezy' version claims to be "1.2.7+1.2.8cvs20041007-5.3ubuntu2", which I presume is somewhere between 1.2.7 and 1.2.8. Anyway, it didn't work, so I had to compile SDL for myself.

I also had to edit the 'Config' file in a couple of places - not just adding the -DUSE_SDL_MIXER to CXXFLAGS but also removing -lfmod-3.74.1 from LDFLAGS.

Other than that the whole process was surprisingly clean.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris.
09-07-2005 at 08:23 AM
Chris
Wow. I just spent a couple of hours looking at the source of DROD, trying to understand what's going on. I've never really looked at a 'proper' C++ program before. I feel like it has turned my head inside out. I see that a while ago Erik wrote:
If you're a beginning programmer this isn't the best place to start. In fact, it's a terrible place to start! :)
I read that before I had looked at the code and assumed that Erik meant that C++ is a bad language to start programming with. But now it occurs to me that DROD source is a bad first C++ program to look at.

Anyway, since the best way to get a feel for unfamiliar code is to set yourself a small project, I thought I'd try my luck at adding a feature I've been missing. I like how you can click on an orb to see how it affects the doors, but more often than not I want to do the reverse - click on a door and see how it is affected by the orbs.

After a bit of hunting through the code I noticed that the hold editor already does this, so I tried 'borrowing' that code.

Line 2484(!) of EditRoomScreen.cpp says:
this->pRoomWidget->AddOrbEffect(pAgentData);

From my understanding of the program so far, that line won't ever do anything, since it will always be referring to a door, not an orb, and so AddOrbEffect() will return immediately. Is that right?

Also, is it intentional to have both "greenblue" and "bluegreen" defined, and for them to be different colours? Is there a reason for colours used in the editor (for 'open', 'close' and 'toggle') to be different than the colours used in the game?

EditRoomWidget.cpp:44:const SURFACECOLOR BlueGreen = {0, 255, 255};
RoomWidget.cpp:153:static const SURFACECOLOR GreenBlue = {0, 255, 128};

Sorry for going on so much. Please feel free to ignore my blabberings if you have anything better to do.

Chris.
09-07-2005 at 01:00 PM
mrimer
Nice questions here.
Chris wrote:
After a bit of hunting through the code I noticed that the hold editor already does this, so I tried 'borrowing' that code.

Line 2484(!) of EditRoomScreen.cpp says:
this->pRoomWidget->AddOrbEffect(pAgentData);

From my understanding of the program so far, that line won't ever do anything, since it will always be referring to a door, not an orb, and so AddOrbEffect() will return immediately. Is that right?
No, it's a bit more subtle than that. The room editor uses a CEditRoomWidget, a class derived from CRoomWidget. Look at CEditRoomWidget::AddOrbEffect(), and you'll see it highlights an orb instead of a door.
Also, is it intentional to have both "greenblue" and "bluegreen" defined, and for them to be different colours? Is there a reason for colours used in the editor (for 'open', 'close' and 'toggle') to be different than the colours used in the game?
Very astute! There's no good reason for this. I think it's an oversight, in fact, and the one in CRoomWidget should be updated. I'll do so (in 2.0.11).

10-04-2005 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon DROD 2.0.10 Source Released. (0)  
The 2.0.10 source package has been released (see first post).

10-04-2005 at 03:13 PM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Mike, hardly major, but I notice that whilst the FreeBSD patches are in there, DROD20Source/Master/FreeBSD/ doesn't exist!

10-05-2005 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
jamie wrote:
Mike, hardly major, but I notice that whilst the FreeBSD patches are in there, DROD20Source/Master/FreeBSD/ doesn't exist!
Yikes! I forgot to update the Master subdir from cvs and didn't have the FreeBSD directory locally :blush

I'll re-upload it now.

10-05-2005 at 05:12 AM
jamie
Now's probably not a good time to mention Darwin was missing too! :lol

Anyway, it's not urgent - I seem to be the only person who uses DROD on FreeBSD :-(

Still, I hope that will change when it's introduced into "ports" -- I'm in the process of rebuilding my PC onto 2 new 300Gb drives (Raid mirror) and once I've done that, I'll use the old drive to have "clean room" version of FreeBSD installed, so it will be much easier to make/test releases...

10-05-2005 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
jamie wrote:
Now's probably not a good time to mention Darwin was missing too! :lol
Oy, I didn't know what that directory is for. I've added it and reuploaded.

10-06-2005 at 04:20 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
ErikH2000 wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
What program you used to make DROD and where can i get it?

I know, it's C++ heh?
Yeah, it's C++. If you're a beginning programmer this isn't the best place to start. In fact, it's a terrible place to start! :) Oh, and I'm guessing you are just starting out--sorry if that is incorrect. But if you are new, I'd recommend something like Game Maker which lets you do a lot of stuff without learning formal programming.

-Erik

I really want to make a new drod program, but i'm in a huge, gigantic, universe-covering lose of mind: i'd need an help guide to help me mod out the game (but how do i make the levels for the game?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-07-2005 at 11:08 PM
jamie
mrimer wrote:

I'm assuming that that is Westons OS X port!

10-08-2005 at 02:27 AM
ErikH2000
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I really want to make a new drod program, but i'm in a huge, gigantic, universe-covering lose of mind: i'd need an help guide to help me mod out the game (but how do i make the levels for the game?
You mean you want to mod DROD? Do you know about modding graphics and sound yet? And then as far as level editing, you've made levels with the editor already, which is the same tool Caravel uses. What do you want to do exactly, Jeff?

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 03:11 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Well, i want to add a few monsters, make graphics...

but how do i insert levels in the game to replace the old ones?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff_ray===

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 10-08-2005 06:55 PM]
10-08-2005 at 06:54 PM
wmarkham
jamie wrote:
mrimer wrote:

I'm assuming that that is Westons OS X port!

Yeah. "Darwin" is to "OS X" as "Linux" is to "Red Hat Linux" or, roughly speaking, as "Windows" is to "Windows XP".

Weston
10-09-2005 at 12:18 AM
ErikH2000
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Well, i want to add a few monsters, make graphics...

but how do i insert levels in the game to replace the old ones?
The 3 things you asked all have different answers.

* For adding monsters: To add monsters to DROD, you'd need to make changes to the source code. And honestly, that's very hard from someone who is beginning at programming. All of the programmers on the project have several years of experience with C and C++. So to do this, you would need to think about spending at least a few years learning how to program. When you feel like trying it, your first challenge is just building the project. That means you take all the source code files that we've made available in this topic and process them with a compiler and linker to make the DROD.EXE file. I would say that even beginning programmers who know how to write some programs at school have trouble building DROD, and sometimes give up. But it is the first step before you can even begin to make changes to it.

Alternatively, you could try to use the scripting in the level editor to make new kinds of monsters, but that is very limited in what you can do. Scripting in DROD isn't a bad way to learn a little bit about programming.

* For changing graphics: You can change the tiles in DROD. You might want to try that. See "Flaming Peligroso" on the "Development" board.

* For replacing levels: You can't really replace the levels in DROD unless you learn a lot of programming or file hacking techniques. But you can add new levels to DROD, and you already understand how to do that with the editor.

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-11-2005 05:16 AM]
10-09-2005 at 12:49 AM
Jeff_Ray...
A FEW YEARS?!?! I don't want to spend years learnig about code with school going around! I'd need an coding tutorial and what kind of code to enter in order to add an monster!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-09-2005 at 01:32 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Erik *is* honesty incarnate. That, and the code wasn't made to be friendly with direct third party modifications, unlike something like TADS (interactive fiction programme), where the whole point is to have users writing up their own programmes (it is a *lot* easier to figure out, while still allowing for modifications to the underlying code).

What DROD does offer is indirect modifications, namely the editor: you are no longer working on the code itself, so your life is much easier. If you wish to create creatures with basic move patterns (akin to most creatures currently in the game), the scripting engine should work out: for example, you should be able to create a monster with a mimic-graphic running around in a circle. Altering the code itself is only necessary for more advanced effects, such as those electricity grid schemes that sometimes come up in Feature Requests.
10-09-2005 at 01:55 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
A FEW YEARS?!?! I don't want to spend years learnig about code with school going around! I'd need an coding tutorial and what kind of code to enter in order to add an monster!
The source code is commented, so assuming you know C++ it shouldn't be too hard. I gather you don't know C++, though, which makes things a little bit harder: You need to learn C++ first. There are several tutorials on the net that can help you with this, but I would recommmend getting a book. You could read a little bit every night, and if you get it all it shouldn't take long before you can start making those first little programs that write "Hello world" to the screen or simulate formatting the harddrive. Once you're confident with the language, you can look at the DROD source code again and try to figure out how things work. Change a little bit here, a little bit there, and see what results you get. Coding can be really fun once you know how. Good luck!

- Gerry
10-09-2005 at 01:59 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Alneyan wrote:
Erik *is* honesty incarnate. That, and the code wasn't made to be friendly with direct third party modifications, unlike something like TADS (interactive fiction programme), where the whole point is to have users writing up their own programmes (it is a *lot* easier to figure out, while still allowing for modifications to the underlying code).

What DROD does offer is indirect modifications, namely the editor: you are no longer working on the code itself, so your life is much easier. If you wish to create creatures with basic move patterns (akin to most creatures currently in the game), the scripting engine should work out: for example, you should be able to create a monster with a mimic-graphic running around in a circle. Altering the code itself is only necessary for more advanced effects, such as those electricity grid schemes that sometimes come up in Feature Requests.

I would like though to make an monster with new graphics... i can't know what to do! Code there please!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-09-2005 at 03:27 PM
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I would like though to make an monster with new graphics... i can't know what to do! Code there please!

Is english your second language for you? I ask because I can't understand the sccond part of your message. Are you asking the Carevel to code you a new monster or show you how to change the graphics of an existing monster? I don't think their is much chance they would do the first, and if you need help on the second you should look here and here.
10-09-2005 at 06:44 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (+2)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Jeff, there is no quick answer to this. You are asking something like "How do I add a new room to my house?" and it's a large job for someone who is unskilled.

Do you want to know generally what you must do?

1. Learn how to program in C++.
2. Learn about the DROD source code.
3. Make changes to the DROD source code to add monsters.

I figure if you start now with a great deal of determination, natural talent, and luck, you can do the above in about 2 years.

Do you want to know specifically what you must do?

1. Get the DROD source code archive. (Link is in this topic.)
2. Extract the archive to a new directory.
3. Find the source code for all of the dependent projects. Read the license text file from the DROD source archive to see which ones are needed.
4. Install a compiler on your computer. GCC or Visual C++ will work.

There are several hundred steps after this one. As soon as you finish these first 4, I will give you the rest.

In other words, it's not easy. You have to learn a lot to make changes to DROD. It's all worth learning if you like computer programming, but don't think you can work on this a few hours or even a few months and see the result you want.

-Erik

10-09-2005 at 06:47 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
You know, you almost tempt me Erik. I have plenty of free time on my hands, and the masochistic streak needed to seriously think about programming. I even have a bit of knowledge of other programmes, giving me a headstart of... approximatively eleven minutes.

Jeff_Ray, worry not! Some features will definitively require more than two years to successfully implement, like the infamous rope, particularly in a tileless environment. Think about all the fun involved in cutting the rope, tying it up again, determining where exactly it is cut, how much of its length is lost while making a tie... Wonderful!
10-09-2005 at 07:04 PM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
I'm having a few problems compiling the DROD source code and any help would be much apprecitated.

So far I think I have all the required libraries and the code compiles until I get the following errors.

Main.cpp In function `int SDL_main(int, char**)':
168 Main.cpp `wszDRODbranch' undeclared (first use this function)

Main.cpp In function `void GetAppPath(const char*, WSTRING&)':
1109 Main.cpp cannot convert `WCHAR*' to `CHAR*' for argument `2' to `DWORD GetModuleFileNameA(HINSTANCE__*, CHAR*, DWORD)'

Could anyone shed any light on why these errors are occuring and what I need to do the solve them.

On what I think is a totally unrelated note I found that I had to change everything of the form { {'F'},{'o'},{'n'},{'t'},{'s'},{0} } to { 'F','o','n','t','s',0 } in order for these sections of the code to compile.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 08-18-2007 11:58 PM]
01-05-2006 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 9
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com