Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD on Mac OS X?
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
drodonmac
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon DROD on Mac OS X? (+1)  
I see people have talked about DROD on Mac OS X in the past, but the most recent mention of it seems to be from 2003 and nobody linked to any binaries... is there a version I could get my grubby mitts on somewhere? Please?
03-05-2005 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: DROD on Mac OS X? (0)  
From what I understand, every programmer that has committed to making a Mac port has flaked after a time. I think there was someone working on a Mac version of JtRH for a very short time early in development, but he also left. So it was slightly more recently than 2003 although it never got any farther.

Very sorry...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-05-2005 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Yeah, that's basically the story, and no hard feelings for the people who tried working on it and moved on. One guy had DROD running and posted screenshots. I think we fixed what might be the last major bug for the Mac version, but at that point we didn't have a programmer with a Mac to build it and test it. Honestly, it might be completely ready to work on OS X right now. We probably won't do anything on this until after the JtRH release.

-Erik

03-06-2005 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
drodonmac
So there's no "unofficial" Mac binary anyone could email me, eh? Alas.

I love DROD on my Windows machine, but ever since I got a new Mac I don't want to touch Windows ever again. Sigh.
03-06-2005 at 08:43 PM
ErikH2000
Nope. It'll happen sometime, but not yet.

-Erik

03-06-2005 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Does DROD run on OS9? That's what I use most of the time, and if it had a resource fork (doubt it does) I could use ResEdit to edit it to my heart's content. (For example, I could make Beethro's sword swing sound like a buzzing chainsaw.)

The best hold in the world!
03-10-2005 at 01:49 AM
ErikH2000
No, it doesn't. In my limited understanding, it would be quite a bit more difficult to port to OS 9, because we rely on the similarities between Linux and OS X in our port.

-Erik

03-10-2005 at 02:45 AM
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125

File: drodppc.patch (46.6 KB)
Downloaded 124 times.
License: Other
icon Re: DROD on Mac OS X? (+5)  
Hi! The attached patch file contains fairly minimal source code changes needed to make DROD run on PPC. After the changes, it seems to work for me: I can play, import, and edit holds. At some point, I'll try to post a binary, but my bandwidth is limited at the moment.

I have not yet checked to make sure that I didn't mess up the Linux and Windows versions. If I recall correctly, there are a few places where I created an extra copy of a string for the purpose of fixing the byte order, and I did this w/o regard for what platform was being built. (i.e., a Linux or Windows build from the patched sources could be a bit slower in some respects.) I believe that these are in non-performance-critical places. (When reading or writing data to disk, the disk is the biggest bottleneck.)

A few other notes:

The data files follow the same format as the other platforms' builds. Just to be safe, though, I would recommend playing with a separate copy of them. I copy the "Data" directory to the same location as the binary.

No sound. The copy of FMOD that I tried wouldn't link for me.

I had to build the metakit library myself, because the binary distribution wouldn't link for me. (Perhaps there is something about Mac shared libraries that I just don't grok....) I got the source for it from the metakit CVS; other versions just wouldn't work for me.

The mouse cursors appear messed up for me. I don't know what's up with that. (I'm using SDL 1.2.7, I think.)

I disabled the memory checks that DROD does when it starts. As a result of the particular way that I disabled them, I did not, however, disable the display of a "low memory" warning. That is left as an "excercise for the builder".

[Edited by wmarkham at Local Time:03-24-2005 at 09:12 PM: missing the attachment!]
03-24-2005 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
wmarkham wrote:
Hi! The attached patch file contains fairly minimal source code changes needed to make DROD run on PPC.
Excellent! Would you attach the patch to your post again? It seems to have gotten lost.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-24-2005 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
drodonmac
Awesome!

Except... um... does this mean I would need to compile the source code? I ain't got a compiler and I'm an idiot about that stuff. Could someone upload a binary somewhere for me? I will love you forever.
03-27-2005 at 08:12 AM
wmarkham
icon Re: DROD on Mac OS X? (+3)  
Well, I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to anything non-unixy in OS X. I guess we're about even! :)

At http://users.telerama.com/~realms/drod-ppc.tar.bz2, you should find a compressed .tar of the executable itself, (built using the patches I posted) as well as one shared library that I had to build from source. You will also need the following shared libraries: expat, SDL_ttf, SDL, and freetype. I believe that you can install the latest binary distributions of these from their respective development sites. SDL_ttf may even include freetype; I'm not sure.

You will need to manually open a UNIX terminal session and change the current directory to wherever you unpack the .tar.bz2 in order for OS X to find the libmk4.dylib file. (I.e., You'll type something like "cd Desktop/drodppc; ./drod" in a Terminal window to run it.) Oh, and you'll also want to copy a "Data" directory there.

Let me know if this works!

Weston

[Edited by wmarkham at Local Time:03-31-2005 at 08:59 PM: didn't try it first myself]

[Edited by wmarkham at Local Time:04-12-2005 at 05:58 PM: bunzip2 might get confused about the extra dot]

[Edited by wmarkham at Local Time:04-12-2005 at 05:59 PM]
03-31-2005 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wmarkham
I can try to put together a more properly packaged, um, package if there is interest.
03-31-2005 at 09:04 PM
drodonmac
icon Re: DROD on Mac OS X? (+1)  
The link you posted doesn't seem to be working...
04-02-2005 at 06:51 AM
wmarkham
Yeah, it doesn't.... Hmmm....
04-05-2005 at 06:20 PM
wmarkham
Oh. I somehow changed the name. Hopefully it is better now....
04-05-2005 at 06:25 PM
patmo98
Rank Points: 39
wmarkham wrote:
At http://users.telerama.com/~realms/drod.ppc.tar.bz2, you should find a compressed .tar of the executable itself

When I tried "bunzip2 drod.ppc.tar.bz2" it calles the output file drod.ppc.tar.bz2.out I you call it drod-ppc.tar.bz2 it might clear up some problems. Note: I am not having any problems with it but it might confuse other people.

[Edited by patmo98 at Local Time:04-11-2005 at 06:27 PM]
04-11-2005 at 06:26 PM
wmarkham
patmo98 wrote:

When I tried "bunzip2 drod.ppc.tar.bz2" it calles the output file drod.ppc.tar.bz2.out I you call it drod-ppc.tar.bz2 it might clear up some problems. Note: I am not having any problems with it but it might confuse other people.

Okay, I changed the name in my post.

So, am I correct in understanding that you got this to work?

[Edited by wmarkham at Local Time:04-12-2005 at 06:09 PM]
04-12-2005 at 06:08 PM
patmo98
wmarkham wrote:

Okay, I changed the name in my post.

So, am I correct in understanding that you got this to work?

[Edited by wmarkham at Local Time:04-12-2005 at 06:09 PM]

I meant I eventualy managed to untar it. I also did get expat to work.

Right now I can't seem to compile freetype. Would you please tell me what command line options you used with ./configure

04-13-2005 at 12:27 AM
wmarkham
patmo98 wrote:

Right now I can't seem to compile freetype. Would you please tell me what command line options you used with ./configure

I think SDL_ttf uses freetype2. If I understood correctly from the PM you sent me, you are using a 1.something version of freetype, which I don't think will work anyway. I have freetype-2.1.9 installed. It looks like you can get a freetype-2.1.3 through fink, as well.

[Edited by wmarkham at Local Time:04-14-2005 at 03:31 AM: remove unnecessary quoted part]
04-14-2005 at 03:31 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
wmarkham wrote:
It looks like you can get a freetype-2.1.3 through fink, as well.
Freetype 2.1.3 has a bug that causes it to not work correctly with DROD, so you can't use that, unfortunately. Any other 2.x versions should be fine though.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick at Local Time:04-14-2005 at 03:07 PM]
04-14-2005 at 03:04 PM
patmo98
Expat is working fine. freetype2 seems to have install but the SDL_ttf ./configure can't find "freetype-config". SDL seems to be working though. I will be gone for the weekend.
04-15-2005 at 02:44 AM
wmarkham
patmo98 wrote:
Expat is working fine. freetype2 seems to have install but the SDL_ttf ./configure can't find "freetype-config". SDL seems to be working though. I will be gone for the weekend.

Did freetype2 install freetype-config? Make sure its location is on your path, and make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config appears later (if at all) in your path, when you run configure.

dunno if that helps.

Weston

[Edited by wmarkham at Local Time:04-16-2005 at 06:17 AM: minor clarification]
04-16-2005 at 06:16 AM
patmo98
icon Re: DROD on Mac OS X? (+2)  
wmarkham wrote:
Did freetype2 install freetype-config? Make sure its location is on your path, and make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config appears later (if at all) in your path, when you run configure.

That fixed it!
I copied the data files over from my windows install. Now I am playing drod, without sound, on OSX.

I compiled and installed expat-1.95.8, SDL-1.2.8, freetype-2.1.9, and SDL_ttf-2.0.7. In that order. I also needed to run "export PATH='$PATH:/usr/local/bin'" from the command line. You also need to copy the "Data" folder from a windows install. If anyone needs I Data folder I can get on for you. If you have never compiled code from the command-line you wont be able to install the librarys, and hence won't be able to install this. Last, make sure "make and "g++" can be run from the command line.

Bug: the monster "standby" animations are changeing about five times a second. ie the roches are blinking about 4 times a second.

[Edited by patmo98 at Local Time:04-18-2005 at 03:53 AM: Added the bug]
04-18-2005 at 03:48 AM
wmarkham
Cool! Thanks for letting me know about the animation thing. I had sorta noticed that, but not consciously. I've started working on porting JtRH over now, since they've released the source. I'll see what I can do about getting the sound running (on both versions) after that. It looks like the mouse cursor thing is an SDL bug, but I may try to work around it....
04-22-2005 at 08:37 PM
wmarkham

File: drod2-ppc.patch (55 KB)
Downloaded 102 times.
License: Other
JtRH patches. To apply:

chdir DROD20Source
patch -p1 ../drod2-ppc.patch

This is about as well tested as the AE patches were when I posted them. I've noticed some cosmetic issues, but I was able to play through the first couple of levels, as well as edit, import, and export holds. The sound works, even, thanks to the switch to SDL_mixer. And I fixed the hyperactive roaches, too.

04-23-2005 at 07:26 AM
wmarkham
here is a binary.

You will need to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in order to get it to find shared libraries. It is built against SDL_mixer-1.2.6, and I suspect that it will not work anything older than that. It was built against a CVS snapshot of metakit, like the AE one was.

There is a linker option to set the real location of a shared library. Should I bother to set those more correctly? (Although I don't know what the best location is? /usr/local/lib? /sw/lib?

[Edited by wmarkham at Local Time:04-25-2005 at 12:45 AM: I removed the binary, and started a new thread that describes where you can get one.]
04-23-2005 at 08:12 AM
galaxor
Rank Points: 10
I don't understand where to get the source code for v1.6. I can find (with much effort) v1.5 and v2.0.

But it seems that you've ported v1.6. I would like to compile my own instead of using your compiled version.

Where do I find the source?

Thank you.
04-29-2005 at 05:45 PM
patmo98
galaxor wrote:
But it seems that you've ported v1.6. I would like to compile my own instead of using your compiled version.

Where do I find the source?

The source is hosted on the sourceforge.net CVS server. For more information take a look at [url=http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=10939 http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=10939.

[Edited by patmo98 at Local Time:04-29-2005 at 08:00 PM]
04-29-2005 at 08:00 PM
galaxor
Rank Points: 10
Grrrr-eat.

Except...
I'm not sure how to check out the "Version 1.6 Architects Edition" that corresponds with the release. It doesn't seem to have a branch or a tag associated with it.

What should I check out and patch with the patch that's been posted on this thread?
05-02-2005 at 09:36 PM
patmo98
galaxor wrote:
Grrrr-eat.

Except...
I'm not sure how to check out the "Version 1.6 Architects Edition" that corresponds with the release. It doesn't seem to have a branch or a tag associated with it.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. All of the delvelepers now use a private source control server for JtRH. This means that the latest copy of the source on sourceforge.net is the latest copy of the source for AE. If I remember right the name of the module you need to check out is "Caravel" without the quotes. If you want a non-command-line CVS client take a look at Tortoise CVS.
05-03-2005 at 03:23 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD on Mac OS X?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com