Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Grand Audition Discussion. (For discussion related to the contest and poll.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Grand Audition Discussion. (0)  
I ask that conversation about the Grand Audition go here instead of the poll or original post.

-Erik

02-23-2005 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: Grand Audition Discussion. (0)  
One question-do you prefer that all contestants vote, or is it all right if they don't?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

02-24-2005 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I would like it if more people voted (contestants or otherwise), but only if they feel like it and can spare enough time to judge the entries carefully.

-Erik

02-24-2005 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Bleh, voting for this contest was quite the chore. In the future, I think contests like this should have a single un-DROD-involved judge. If not to pick the winner, then to at least narrow down the choices to top ten or something.
02-24-2005 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
ClaytonW wrote:
Bleh, voting for this contest was quite the chore. In the future, I think contests like this should have a single un-DROD-involved judge. If not to pick the winner, then to at least narrow down the choices to top ten or something.
I would say let's make a poll about that to see what people think, but then all the people with voting fatigue would just skip it. ;)

I still like letting The People decide, but maybe in future contests we'll do something to limit the number of entries each person can submit.

-Erik

02-24-2005 at 04:49 AM
ErikH2000
Egg Egg, to answer your post that I can't find anymore:

There are a lot of programs that will play ogg files. On Windows, you might try WinAmp www.winamp.com). It's free, not-evil, and plays a lot of music/sound formats including some obscure ones.

-Erik

02-24-2005 at 06:31 PM
ErikH2000
There's a tiebreaker poll over here. Everybody vote! We can schedule a van to come pick you up if you'd like.

-Erik

02-28-2005 at 03:10 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I just noticed now the prodding to record a part. Once recorded, I sound remarkably like myself to me, which annoys me to no end.

In any case, good luck to the finalists!

Matt

02-28-2005 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
egg egg
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :-O
My speakers have blown up and I can't hear the entries!

Anyone know how to fix speakers?
02-28-2005 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
egg egg wrote:
Anyone know how to fix speakers?
Can you fix speakers after you blow them out? I always thought that was the end of them.

You got anything else to plug in? Like even some cheapie earphones like you plug into a portable CD player would do it. Maybe a friend of yours has some you can borrow. I had an idea to use your microphone for speakers, but I'm afraid of wrecking your mic.

-Erik

02-28-2005 at 08:38 PM
ClaytonW
At the top of the orignal poll, the total is six voters, but it seems when you study the graphs that there were ten voters. What up with that?
02-28-2005 at 09:37 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
ClaytonW wrote:
At the top of the orignal poll, the total is six voters, but it seems when you study the graphs that there were ten voters. What up with that?
That just means that only 6 people answered the first question. I still haven't made it so you're forced to answer all questions... I should probably do that sometime.

02-28-2005 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
egg egg
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
ErikH2000 wrote:

You got anything else to plug in? Like even some cheapie earphones like you plug into a portable CD player would do it. Maybe a friend of yours has some you can borrow. I had an idea to use your microphone for speakers, but I'm afraid of wrecking your mic.

-Erik

I don't even have a microphone! :(
02-28-2005 at 09:41 PM
ErikH2000
egg egg wrote:
I don't even have a microphone! :(
Then how did you record your contest entry? Did you speak directly into the sound card jack? :lol

-Erik

02-28-2005 at 09:45 PM
ClaytonW
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining. I really should be working on my English paper. I only peeked in on the forum because I'm procrastinating.
:book --> :yawn --> :eek --> :throw --> :tvhappy
02-28-2005 at 09:47 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
ClaytonW wrote:
...I only peeked in on the forum because I'm procrastinating.
You need one of the shirts I have that say:
"Top 10 reasons to procrastinate:

"

It's hilarious and sums up my lifestyle. :?

02-28-2005 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
(very off-topic)

gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
You need one of the shirts I have that say:
"Top 10 reasons to procrastinate:

"
What? I want one of those!

And erm... I'm afraid DROD is on top of that list -_-

-- Tim

03-01-2005 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I totally missed the vote. How did I do?

03-01-2005 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Oh, just search for "Vote for Grand Audition" on the "General" board. I'm going to announce winners after this tiebreaker vote is concluded.

-Erik

03-01-2005 at 05:05 AM
ErikH2000
icon Grand Audition Results. (+1)  
Before we get into contest results, I'd like to explain what we did for the actual recording in DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold. DiMono ended up recording the part. I liked his performance and his recording environment already sounded pretty clean, so we didn't have to work on fixing it. Abbyzzmal also recorded some other parts for us, and did a great job. We almost used some recordings Wackhead made for us, but due to a few sound quality problems and a general hurry-up-get-it-done mode we ended up replacing them. There are some other folks that are on the short list to contact for future projects, and that includes people I didn't talk to. You should see many "cameos" from forumites down the road.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it looks like we had a few voters that just gave everybody a "1". Or maybe gave everybody a "1" except their own entries. I don't feel like following up on this, but I wish people would just vote their honest opinion. I also have to allow for the possibility of some kind of technical error that made votes submit that way. I think all of the ratings were skewed to the left because of this factor.

Let's go in reverse order this time, from the losingest to the winningest. The people who will get absolutely nothing at all are...

--no, that's too cold. Skip past those guys. :)

A warm welcome and 10 rank points to our first-time contest entrants: AtakeeR, egg egg, LeForce, Ptownkid, stigant.

Third place goes to superfan Clayton Weiss. You might be interested to know that Clayton's voice is remarkably similar to Sten Ryason's. Sten is the fellow who is providing Beethro's voice in JtRH. Clayton sent me a recording of his Beethro voice, and wow... it was hard to tell the difference between Sten and Clayton. Our man, Clay, gets 25 rank points.

Then we had two guys who both received a 5.9 rating in the first poll, and it was necessary to break up the tie. (Note that we almost had a 3-way tie with Clayton at 5.8) The second poll thankfully was not also tied. Doom emerged from the fray looking just a little less shiny than Abbyzzmal, so he is our second plaze winner. 50 points to Doom!

The voices of the two winning entries sound similar to me--like a feisty old man with a high-pitched, slightly scratchy voice. Although Abbyzzmal didn't end up recording the character who spoke these lines, he did go on to record dialogue for several other characters. So it seems my casting choices did reflect the Will of the People at least a little bit. Abbyzzmal gets those 100 points and any item of his choosing from the Prize Pile.

I was quite happy with the participation on this contest, and the recordings were fun to listen to. In the future, I'd like to do more auditions like this, whether in contest form or not.

Stand by for the March contest announcement!

-Erik

03-03-2005 at 09:35 PM
ClaytonW
icon Re: Grand Audition Results. (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:(Note that we almost had a 3-way tie with Clayton at 5.8)

I'm getting kinda used to this "almost made it" feeling. :P
03-03-2005 at 10:29 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Grand Audition Results. (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
I'm getting kinda used to this "almost made it" feeling. :P
Well, looking at your entire contest career, it looks like you are only getting worse as time goes by. First place in Master Map. Then second place in I Ching and Songs of the Eighth. And now you have to settle for third. I'd say you're about washed up! Sure the audience still loves you, but you're only as good as your last performance. ;)

-Erik

03-03-2005 at 10:36 PM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
icon Re: Grand Audition Discussion. (+1)  
Should I give an acceptance speech?

"I'd just like to thank the academy and Erik and all the other people who made this possible. This one's for you, mom!"

Also, I have to say that my entry was actually one of my least favorite entries in the contest. But you know, no one likes the sound of his own voice. Clayton's was wonderful, and I really thought that Doom's entry was much better than mine. At first, I was incredibly impressed with Agaricus's English accent, but then I remembered that he's English, and so then I was slightly less impressed. Regardless, great contest,

and now I will stop being pretentious.

Wait, not quite yet! What exactly is the process for claiming an item from the prize pile? Do I just send an e-mail to the proper authorities or what? I'll wait for an answer!
03-03-2005 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Abbyzzmal wrote:
What exactly is the process for claiming an item from the prize pile? Do I just send an e-mail to the proper authorities or what? I'll wait for an answer!
It depends which thing you want. Which thing do you want?

-Erik

03-03-2005 at 11:52 PM
Abbyzzmal
Elephant!
03-04-2005 at 12:05 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Abbyzzmal wrote:
At first, I was incredibly impressed with Agaricus's English accent, but then I remembered that he's English, and so then I was slightly less impressed.
That's actually quite an interesting comment. I don't often get praise for my accent, so it's actually quite flattering in a way. However, since I have a comparably dfferent accent naturally compared to many people in the local area who have Asian accents, I don't think living in England is the only reason why I have such an accent, although it does help somewhat. :)

Regardless, great contest,

and now I will stop being pretentious.
Agreed; it was quite a fun contest, although voting was a bit time-consuming. I think yours was a well deserved win, and thus a well-deserved right to be pretentious for a short while. Although it was close, your entry was my favourite too.

I guess, however, my last minute vote did push the result scales a bit, since all the ones I rated most highly ended up in the top 5-8.

Well done to all runners-up and those which got close, but didn't quite make it to the top 3, and well done in general to all who overcame their fear of listening to their own voice and participated (I was one of them myself).

03-04-2005 at 12:27 AM
ErikH2000
Abbyzzmal wrote:
Elephant!
Okay! I've already got your address, so I am ready to mail the thing and get rid of the curse. Oh! Did I say curse? No, there is no curse. Don't worry about any curses, really.

You should see it in a few weeks.

-Erik

03-04-2005 at 01:05 AM
Abbyzzmal
Wait! I think you have the wrong address!

My place of residence is not the same as my mailing address. I'll e-mail the other address to you. . . now!
03-04-2005 at 01:17 AM
ErikH2000
Close one. I was just getting ready to print the Fedex label. Usually, I procrastinate a lot longer on sending stuff out.

-Erik

03-04-2005 at 01:46 AM
Kunzite
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
Man, you lose internet access for a month and you miss a lot. This contest looks like it was quite fun. :/ Oh well. Bring on March's challenge!
03-07-2005 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Grand Audition Discussion. (For discussion related to the contest and poll.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com