Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Contest: Golbeno's Security System (Create the most difficult one-room hold imaginable)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
IP: Logged

File: Golbenos Treasury.hold (3.9 KB)
Downloaded 151 times.
License: Other
icon Entry #5 (0)  
Entry #5

02-27-2005 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan

File: Exterminatorproof.hold (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 129 times.
icon Entry #6 (0)  
Entry #6

02-27-2005 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838

File: GT Level 1 The Entrance Victory.demo (2.4 KB)
Downloaded 120 times.
icon Re: Contest: Golbeno's Security System (0)  
Entry 5 wasn't very hard; it was just headache-inducing.

I'll admit I cheated a little, and used the JtRH beta to complete the room, since it was pretty tiring.

Edit: I edited the original comment, since it sounded harsher than intended as I was quite tired when I posted it, and also because I don't want it to interfere with the poll coming up later.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:02-27-2005 at 10:50 PM]

02-27-2005 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
icon Re: Contest: Golbeno's Security System (+1)  
Unfortunately, the demo doesn't work in DROD:AE.

02-27-2005 at 05:34 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
It would've been nice if the hold names were something like Golbeno #1, Golbeno #2, etc...
Now I have to search some of them from my rather big hold-list.
02-27-2005 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
New rule: Demos may not be recorded in JtRH.

I haven't decided yet what to do with the demo Wesley posted.

Here's a list of all the entries and their hold names (sorry about that, I didn't really think it through):

Entry #1 - Golbeno's Annoying Security System
Entry #2 - Golbeno's
Entry #3 - Golbeno's Security System
Entry #4 - High Security
Entry #5 - Golbeno's Treasury
Entry #6 - Exterminator-proof

02-27-2005 at 06:06 PM
agaricus5
Stefan wrote:
Unfortunately, the demo doesn't work in DROD:AE.
No, but it should in the JtRH beta, which you have.

The reason why I did it in JTRH was because there was no mention of any restraint on what version you could use, so I assumed it was acceptable. If it isn't, then I may re-do the demo, although I'm not sure what's going to happen if someone finishes the room in AE before I can record a new demo.

Just in case JtRH demos are acceptable, here's one for 6 (although it may be a bit unfair to other people, since I can see the orb associations beneath the tar).

Edit: Just noticed the new post. I'll remove this demo now.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:02-27-2005 at 10:50 PM]

02-27-2005 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Stefan wrote:
Am I then automatically disqualified from this contest, since I could just play the rooms in JtRH, memorise the sequences, and then play them in AE?

[Edited by agaricus5 at 02/27/2005 6:11PM]

02-27-2005 at 06:12 PM
Stefan
agaricus5 wrote:
No, but it should in the JtRH beta, which you have.
Yes, it worked there, but the demos are supposed to be publicly verifiable. (I just forgot to mention it)
If it isn't, then I may re-do the demo, although I'm not sure what's going to happen if someone finishes the room in AE before I can record a new demo.
If I manage to convert the demo to conform to AE standards (that is, if the same sequence of moves will produce the same result in AE), then I'll accept it, but the best (and easiest) solution would be for you to re-do the demo in AE.
Am I then automatically disqualified from this contest, since I could just play the rooms in JtRH, memorise the sequences, and then play them in AE?
Difficult question (and I curse myself for not thinking about it earlier). JtRH does make some of these rooms easier to solve, but there is not really any extra information that you can get about the rooms that you can't get without JtRH as well (it's just a lot more difficult to obtain the information without JtRH).

If no-one has any violent objections, I'm going to allow Citizens to play the holds as well.

02-27-2005 at 06:32 PM
Stefan

File: GT Level 1 The Entrance Victory Fixed.demo (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
Here's the fixed demo (viewable in DROD:AE).

02-27-2005 at 06:46 PM
agaricus5

File: E The only level The Entrance Victory.demo (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 95 times.
Ok. Entry 5 is going to have to wait (I can't bear the thought of nearly 2000 moves of slashfesting and trapdoor dropping, all without checkpoints), but I'll see what I can do later.

Here is my Entry 6 demo, however.

02-27-2005 at 06:47 PM
Stefan
Since I clearly didn't make myself clear enough in the post announcing the start of the second part of the contest, I'll try to say the same things again, only this time with a bit more information.

* There are six holds for you to play
* You may use any means necessary to solve the holds
* When you've managed to solve a hold, post your victory-demo in this thread
* Only the first person to post a demo will get the points
* The demo may not be recorded in JtRH (the demo should be publicly verifiable)
* Citizens are allowed to play
* All holds are anonymous because there will be a poll after the end of this contest
* The entry number is put as the author of the hold
* Because the identity of the author of a hold may affect the rating of that hold in the poll, I will ask hold authors not to discuss their work
* Discussion about the entries should be avoided, since that may affect the poll outcome
* I will not be entering the contest
* The deadline for posting victory-demos is Local Time:03-09-2005 at 01:00 PM

I'll keep track of your progress in the list below:
Entry #1 - Golbeno's Annoying Security System [solved by Doom] [valid entry]
Entry #2 - Golbeno's [solved by Rabscuttle] [valid entry]
Entry #3 - Golbeno's Security System [solved by Rabscuttle] [valid entry]
Entry #4 - High Security [solved by Rabscuttle] [valid entry]
Entry #5 - Golbeno's Treasury [solved by agaricus5] [valid entry]
Entry #6 - Exterminator-proof [solved by agaricus5] [valid entry]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:02-28-2005 at 12:47 AM]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:02-28-2005 at 01:18 PM]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:03-01-2005 at 10:37 AM]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:03-07-2005 at 04:23 PM]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:03-07-2005 at 10:02 PM]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:03-08-2005 at 02:30 AM]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:03-09-2005 at 02:16 PM]

02-27-2005 at 08:40 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: GSS The System The Entrance Victory.demo (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 104 times.
#3: Golbeno's Security System

I agree with the architect :)
02-28-2005 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rabscuttle wrote:
#3: Golbeno's Security System

I agree with the architect :)

You can actually hit all the orbs before the serpent dies, just not in time to complete the room.

Edit: I keep forgetting not to discuss the holds yet.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:02-28-2005 at 12:34 AM]

02-28-2005 at 12:32 AM
Rabscuttle

File: G The lock The Entrance.demo (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
#2: Golbeno's

My hat goes off to the architect. A very nice puzzle.

Unfortunately, the room starts with no critters so there was no automatic victory demo.

The attached demo just contains the exit move. I believe it also contains the other 1500 or so moves, but they are hidden. I should be able to unhide them if I tinker a bit with the demo file.

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:02-28-2005 at 12:06 PM]
02-28-2005 at 12:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Ooh, I forgot all about this special case. :twak
A death demo where death could easily have been avoided and completion without death is trivial would have sufficed (this is what the architect has done). This demo is in a way even better. I'll fix it for you.

02-28-2005 at 01:11 PM
Stefan

File: G The lock The Entrance Fixed.demo (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 109 times.
Here's the whole demo.

Edit: Forgot to include the first move.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:02-28-2005 at 01:26 PM]

02-28-2005 at 01:14 PM
Rabscuttle
Ta muchly :cool
02-28-2005 at 01:37 PM
Rabscuttle

File: HS Security System The Entrance Victory.demo (5.3 KB)
Downloaded 101 times.
Here is #4: High Security

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:03-01-2005 at 05:56 AM: number]
03-01-2005 at 05:55 AM
agaricus5
agaricus5 wrote:
Stefan wrote:

[Edited by agaricus5 at 02/27/2005 6:11PM]
Um... why is there a negative mod for this post?

Is it upsetting someone for some reason?

03-02-2005 at 10:06 PM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
I don't know man, but I put it back, since it was a legitimate question.

On the other hand, I can't see how it's that important either way. Modding, as I understand it, is not something to question. It will work itself out in the end.
03-02-2005 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Abbyzzmal wrote:
On the other hand, I can't see how it's that important either way. Modding, as I understand it, is not something to question. It will work itself out in the end.
Well, it is slightly to do with JtRH, and there are restrictions over what can be said and what cannot for certain reasons. Because of this, I was concerned with whether what I said needed editing or not; I don't actually care about the point - I just want to know the reason why someone didn't like the post.

03-02-2005 at 10:32 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Ideally, someone wants to know why they were modded down so that they can address that issue in the future. If Wesley unintentionally insulted or upset someone, he probably wants to know so that he doesn't do it again.

However, the ranking system is intentionally anonymous so that people can be free to speak their mind without fear of retaliation. We don't want to compromise that. I suggest that if someone really wants to let the other person know why they modded them down (or perhaps less likely, why they modded them up), that they send a PM or an e-mail to one of the moderators so that we can inform the other person anonymousy. If you mod down one of the moderators, you can PM or e-mail a different one. ;)

In that spirit, I invite whoever modded agaricus down to PM me why, so that the confusion may be cleared up. I promise to be discreet.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-02-2005 at 10:40 PM
agaricus5
You are slightly offending me, for you are asking me the exact same question as someone else, and after I already gave the explanation for it. On top of that, your post has a slightly arrogant tone, which isn't pleasant to read. Now, so that I can clear this up properly, I'll repeat my explanation for my concern here once more.

rowrow wrote:
I used to question modding.
Now I don't. I get modded down at lest 2x a week. I also sometimes don't get modded up when you are supposed to be. Questionare for example.
As Oneiromancer said, I wanted to know why it upset someone, since I don't particularly want to be unpleasant to anyone. Also, I might have said something by accident, which I'm supposed not to say for certain reasons due to the restrictions on information leakage and the fact that testers have JtRH at the moment. I personally don't care how many points I have gained or lost or whatever; I'm far more interested in fixing any posts that are liable to offend or are not supposed to be in the public forum.
You told me not to.
Incorrect. I told you to stop worrying about the points for their face values; i.e. their number, and how many you have in total.
I don't really care anymore.
If you say something nasty on the forum, which subsequently gets modded down, and you don't care about it, then it's a poor reflection of your personality, and also gives other people a bad impression of you. I don't want to offend anyone, so I treat a negative with as much importance as if someone came up to me and said "that was pretty rude; why did you say it?".

03-03-2005 at 05:57 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
In most cases, you already know why you got modded down. If you say something inflamatory to get your point across, the fact it's inflamatory may get you modded down. If you post something NSFW (not safe for work), you're likely to get modded down for it. If you veer off topic for no particular reason, you're probably looking at some downmodding.

If I were in Agaricus' shoes, having not done any of those things, I would like to know what offense was taken from the post. For instance, if someone felt like the post was bragging about having JtRH in beta, and didn't approve, that could be valid justification. But unless someone presents that as the reason, no lesson can be learned.

03-03-2005 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Sorry for causing people to think bad about myself. When I said I don't care I meant that many times I get modded down for no reason or for a reason unknown to me or for something I think is not bad enough to get modded down.I used to complain about getting modded down when I don't know why but now I don't care about it. I just ignore it. I only might complain when it for sure shoulden't get modded down.

03-04-2005 at 02:30 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Contest: Golbeno's Security System (+4)  
It all depends on your general philosophical approach to life. When people get modded down in real life (like say, when their cat gets killed by a meteorite), some raise their voice to the Heavens asking "Why? Oh God, why is this happening to me? What did I do to deserve this?!", some just clench their teeth and keep going, some cry their way into sleep every night for a month, and some go like "Yeah, whatever. I knew nothing good was coming my way anyways".
I'm not saying that asking people about reasons to mod you down is as futile as enquiring God about your late cat, but people are random beings and sometimes they don't know themselves why they do things. Look at the bright side - at least your cat is still alive, metaphorically speaking.

03-04-2005 at 11:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
icon Re: Contest: Golbeno's Security System (+2)  
I've never modded anyone down before, so I'm not the best person to talk about this, but I have a sneaking suspicion where the -1 came from: the original post could come off as a little snarky. It seemed like it was being confrontational about the 'no JtRH' rule by presenting something over the top (memorizing every move). As an (exaggerated) analogy, let's say you are a student in high school asked to take off a hat and you respond 'why, because I might have a wire that wiggles in the back so students can send me morse code during a test?'

I'm sure that's not what was intended, but that's my guess how it got interpreted. Don't sweat it.

Anyway, to get back on topic: demo for hold #1, anyone?
03-04-2005 at 10:24 PM
Stefan
jdyer wrote:
demo for hold #1, anyone?
Yes, please. :fun

03-05-2005 at 12:35 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Makes me crazy. I've almost completed #1 but I just discovered that my solution has a small flaw in the end that doesn't allow completing the room.
It was so close...

edit: Found a propably working solution but it's sadistic...

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:03-07-2005 at 01:30 PM]
03-07-2005 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Contest: Golbeno's Security System (Create the most difficult one-room hold imaginable)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com