Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : the hilly cave (nice combat)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
IP: Logged

File: The Hilly cave.hold (8.1 KB)
Downloaded 219 times.
License: Other
icon the hilly cave (+2)  
Here's a nicer hold.
Try and tell me all. :thumbsup :)
02-06-2005 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: the hilly cave (+1)  
Nice hold. Haven't finished all the rooms yet.

But 1S1W was really cool. Especially since you can finish that room in a very unintentional way...
Click here to view the secret text

Oh, and you really need to add lots more checkpoints. I think there's so many places where I had to redo the same steps all the time.

I will write more later...

-- Tim

02-06-2005 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Another nice hold, although I think I liked your other one better. This one felt a bit rushed and wasn't as visually pleasing as "The City of Damage". Also, this one had some rooms that were almost exact copies of rooms from an another hold (which IMO isn't a good thing).

Anyway, here's some room specific comments:

2E: This room was fun. It's possible to kill the serpent with either a roach, a goblin or a queen. Was that intentional?

1S1W: As Tim said, there's a trivial solution to this one.

1S1E: Very nice. I didn't have to hit the orb surrounded by a red door, though (I didn't use the L-shaped alcove (SW) either).

1S2E: This is, as far as I can see, an almost exact copy of L5:2S3W in Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon.

2S1W: This type of 'trick' is usually considered to be a bug that should be corrected (as it may force the player to replay some of the rooms (2S1W in this case)). However, I wouldn't call this a 'death trap', since it is quite possible to complete this room and 2S1W and still be able to exit to the north. (It's a 'death trap' if you do things incorrectly). Also, it needs a checkpoint somewhere in the eastern part of the room.

2S1E: A checkpoint needed.

3S1W: Another room almost directly copied from Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon (L7:1N1E)

3S1E: It's impossible to drop all trapdoors (you get stuck on the small platform to the east), and therefore this room is impossible to complete. This room also needs a checkpoint somewhere beside the mimic potion (in that general area).

02-06-2005 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
icon Re: the hilly cave (0)  
You know, it's very easy to copy rooms or levels(I think you know)
Go to the room and press Ctrl + C to copy and Ctrl + V to paste.
I know I have copied some rooms from Nanfro Budkin Dungeon (Even from NightMare dungeon!); and I know it wouldn't be funny if Henri or Nanfro download this hold(I think they alreay did it).
I will modify the room that was impossible to solve. You know, I have a lot of ideas for architecture, but I don't want to spend a lot of time in a construction of a hold.
By the way, have you already build holds? If you did, which are they?

[Edited by Dali at Local Time:02-07-2005 at 04:12 PM]
02-07-2005 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Dali wrote:
You know, it's very easy to copy rooms or levels(I think you know)
Yes, I know, but that shouldn't be a reason for you to do it. I mean, it's okay to copy puzzle ideas or modified versions of a particular puzzle, even copying parts of a puzzle can be fine, but I don't think you should ever make a copy of a puzzle/room without making it a bit different than the original. Think of your modified puzzle as a remix of a song, where the remixer has added his/her personal touch to it.
You know, I have a lot of ideas for architecture, but I don't want to spend a lot of time in a construction of a hold.
Well, building a hold is a quite lengthy process, you just gotta have patience. The quality of the hold is certainly not improved by rushing the architectual process.
By the way, have you already build holds? If you did, which are they?
A search in the Holds-section will show that I've only done one, Dusty Dungeon. However, I participated in the December 2004 contest 'The Unfortunate Architect'. Gamer_extreme_101 is making a Compilation Hold of the entries. Entry #3 is mine.
Both my holds are of medium/hard difficulty.

Edit: I almost forgot (well, actually, I did): I think you intended to make the tar timer in 2S1W one cycle shorter.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:02-07-2005 at 06:24 PM: added bug]

02-07-2005 at 06:20 PM
Dali
icon Re: the hilly cave (-2)  
Stefan, Please I want to ask you something:
Can you export your 'player' and put it in the 'Attach File'?
Because my drod have been destroyed by a ######## virus.
I just need KDD completed (and also some other holds? :unsure )

02-08-2005 at 03:32 PM
Stefan
No, I won't do that (for a number of reasons), but you can try talking to a developer to see if your dats can be fixed.

02-08-2005 at 08:37 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3289
The fun thing that I didn't even remember making that room in your hold. I was playing my own hold and "Wait a minute. I've seen this room somewhere lately" :D

It's still not a good thing to make exact or nearly exact copies of rooms.
02-09-2005 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1138
Just a note, Stefan: 1S1E is a another copy from my hold. It's on Level 14, which I'd decided to start so I'd have a place for a very tricky room I'd made on Level 7. Just thought you ought to know, that's all. Though the room was modified a little, as some of the orbs were given more agents in this hold's version.

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT at Local Time:02-09-2005 at 07:43 AM: Wrong level number]

My stuff:

02-09-2005 at 07:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Hey sorry, it's okay but why have you put me 'bad'? because know I've lost 1 rank point! I asked you very 'kindely'.
I don't care because I will download the other version of Drod.
02-09-2005 at 11:06 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Dali, don't worry about losing rank points even if it is unfair. Over the long run I think you will get them back and many more, because you are a good forum poster. Rank points are meant to be anonymous and anybody can mod anybody else up or down without explanation. If you don't like this post right here, you can even mod it down and it would be fine--I won't even know it was you.

Let's not say too much about rank points here--it will distract from the Hilly Cave discussion.

-Erik

02-09-2005 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
And Dali, just so you know, I didn't mod you down. Your post was already modded down when I read it.

And a suggestion for 1S1W:

-Noah

My stuff:

02-10-2005 at 12:42 AM
Stefan
NoahT wrote:
Just a note, Stefan: 1S1E is a another copy from my hold. It's on Level 14, which I'd decided to start so I'd have a place for a very tricky room I'd made on Level 7. Just thought you ought to know, that's all. Though the room was modified a little, as some of the orbs were given more agents in this hold's version.
I haven't played level 14 of your hold (I don't like playing rooms from the editor since no victory demos are recorded), but I did try some of level 7.
And a suggestion for 1S1W:
Another suggestion (as an addition to the previous):

I wasn't the one who modded you down either, but I do kind of understand the one who did (that type of request is usually not taken very well here on the forum).

02-10-2005 at 01:23 AM
NoahT
I just wanted to say: I'm not so sure I like having rooms directly copied from my hold. I'm flattered that you like my rooms Dali, but I don't really want them copied. I think that if someone ever copies a room or a concept from another hold, especially an incomplete one, credit should be given to the original architect. It's probably a good idea to let the original architect release their hold first, or ask them if it's alright with them for the copy to be released first. In this situation, I'd prefer you let me release my hold before you release any holds with copies from mine.

-Noah

My stuff:

02-12-2005 at 10:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : the hilly cave (nice combat)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com