Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Predict the Future. (Our first contest of the new year.)
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
IP: Logged
icon Re: Predict the Future. (0)  
This is just to prove that I haven't edited the new prediction:

10. I predict that at least two new (computer) pieces of malware will be created (this includes virii, trojans, worms, adware etc.)

01-14-2005 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
I Predict that the JtRH Progress Bar will reach 90%
I Predict that there will be a snowfall greater than three inches in Toronto
I Predict that there will be a bombing in Iraq in which an American soldier is killed
I Predict someone will try to steal money from a Tsunami charity
I Predict that episode 47 of Red vs Blue will be released publicly on sunday, January 16

There's a few for me, if I think of any more I'll add them.

Edit: Had to include the word publicly in my last prediction, since sponsors get the video a couple days early.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:01-14-2005 at 02:37 PM]

01-14-2005 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
leroy00 wrote:
1. I predict that the Israelis and Palestinians will not let themselves be distracted from the peace process by the attack by palestinian terrorists last night. (Keep your fingers crossed.)
This doesn't seem verifiable to me. You would need to describe a more concrete event before I would accept this, such as a certain statement from a public official.
2. I predict that GWBush will say something stupid OR choke on something edible and pass out. He may or may not be permanently injured.
The first part ("say something stupid") is subjective, so I can't accept this one.

-Erik

01-14-2005 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Fafnir wrote:
I'll be using this post to note the verification of my predictions.
I'd rather you guys post new replies. It's really impractical to scan through the entire topic to look for new edits. Don't be surprised if I miss them and you have to call attention to them.
4. I predict that the press will find something out about at least one celebrity that he/she didn't want them to know.
Do you count Prince Harry's Nazi sympathies?
The burden of proof is on you to show that he didn't want people to know about that snazzy outfit of his.

Thanks for the update on your predictions, Fafnir.

-Erik

01-14-2005 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Joker, can you pick out 30 or less predictions from your big list? I will add these to the tracking page. If I don't hear back from you before Local Time:01-15-2005 at 12:00 AM, I plan to take the first thirty as submissions. I am worried about some of your predictions becoming true during this time between your first post and me waiting for you to pick a subset, in which case some of your predictions would unfairly go to waste.

-Erik

01-14-2005 at 08:00 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Yay, Australia beat West Indies. (easily verifiable by a search)

I'm allowed to make more predictions now, right?
01-14-2005 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
TripleM wrote:
I'm allowed to make more predictions now, right?
Yeah, sure--up to 30 total.

-Erik

01-14-2005 at 09:34 PM
Fafnir
Actually, I'd like to up the stakes slightly on my last prediction. Make it at least ten pieces of malware - that should impress a few people.

01-14-2005 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Fafnir wrote:
Actually, I'd like to up the stakes slightly on my last prediction. Make it at least ten pieces of malware - that should impress a few people.
Okay, no problem, but only because it is not Local Time:01-15-2005 at 12:00 AM yet. In negative 1004 weeks, 3 days, changes and retractions won't be allowed.

-Erik

01-14-2005 at 10:40 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I Predict I will not receive my DROD hat by the time this contest is over.
I Predict my next prediction will come true.
I Predict my previous prediction will be false.

01-14-2005 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
I Predict I will not receive my DROD hat by the time this contest is over.
I can accept this prediction if you oblige yourself to report whether or not you receive the hat, otherwise there is not an easily verifiable source available to most forum members.
I Predict my next prediction will come true.
I Predict my previous prediction will be false.
Bleh. Stupid paradoxes. I do not like them.

-Erik

01-14-2005 at 10:51 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
I love the "keeping Idiots busy style" :D Who doesn't?

01-14-2005 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'm just saying that this whole prediction thing is getting far too confusing. All messy things about editing predictions, changing them, adding them, deciding if they're acceptable, Erik trying to keep track of them. I'm not going to enter in this one.

And DiMono, what's a DROD hat?
ErikH2000 wrote
otherwise there is not an easily verifiable source available to most forum members.
Some Citizen thing? Bleh. If I can't even know what's it about, I can't rate it properly.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:01-17-2005 at 05:38 AM]
01-14-2005 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
- I predict that something very obscure, yet awesome will change today's trashy music fad and slowly build up a new era of it.

- I predict that somebody in 3 months will die from "DROD Fever". By playing DROD for over 24 hours he will beat and smite his way through Dugan's Dungeon. (JTRL?) After his relief he will have a heart attack from his excitement causing a quick and bad way to die. DRODers will honour him for his bravery in delving in the dungeon and clearing it in under a day.

[Edited by Stuwy at Local Time:01-14-2005 at 11:11 PM]
01-14-2005 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Stuwy wrote:
- I predict that something very obscure, yet awesome will change today's trashy music fad and slowly build up a new era of it.
Sorry, but there is no way to objectively evaluate what constitutes "today's trashy music fad" or when a new era of "it" will have arrived.
- I predict that somebody in 3 months will die from "DROD Fever". By playing DROD for over 24 hours he will beat and smite his way through Dugan's Dungeon. (JTRL?) After his relief he will have a heart attack from his excitement causing a quick and bad way to die. DRODers will honour him for his bravery in delving in the dungeon and clearing it in under a day.
This prediction goes against the rule about time limit, so it can't be accepted either.

-Erik

01-14-2005 at 11:51 PM
ErikH2000
Thanks for pruning, Joker.

joker5 wrote:
I predict that the reader of this prediction will see at least one hobo before the due date if they walk through the downtown area of the nearest urban area for at least five minutes.
I predict that there will be no hailstorms that the reader of this prediction experiences before the due date.
These aren't acceptable. Each one is actually a multitude of predictions, one for each reader of the prediction. This makes them not easily verifiable.

Also in general, I've just decided to stop taking predictions that rely on me or somebody else to divulge private information in order for it to be publicly verifiable. So DiMono's hat prediction is out, because it relies on DiMono making his private information public. (DiMono, BTW, I shipped your hat last week. You should have it soon.) The predictions made by BradWall and ZMann that don't rely on publicly verifiable sources--well, they are reasonable submissions but I am taking them out for consistency.

-Erik

01-15-2005 at 12:08 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I predict that:

Australia, or a team with an Australian player in it, will be defeated in a game of cricket (twenty-twenty, one day or test) that begins within the next two weeks.

Something will come to light regarding the misuse of donations by a charity working in the Indian Ocena tsunami-affected region.

There will not be any new moves, serious or otherwise, by an American Democrat politician to either bring President Bush's term to a premature end or to raise candidates for the 2008 election. Any moves that have been made before this prediction are not covered, and can't really be "predicted".

The current #1 song on the American charts will change twice in the next two weeks.

"Forum Games" will have at least 50 topics.

There will be a major health scare in the United States within the next month.

Matt

01-15-2005 at 01:23 AM
Mattcrampy
Mattcrampy wrote:
Matt

I should clarify - "Forum Games" will have at least 50 topic within the next two weeks.

Matt

01-15-2005 at 01:51 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Mattcrampy wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
Matt

I should clarify - "Forum Games" will have at least 50 topic within the next two weeks.

Matt

That's an illegal prediction as it involves the forums.

01-15-2005 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Some more predictions by me:

I predict that no American senator will be photographed any time this weekend reading the book "The Grammar of Time Reference in Yukatek Maya" by J. Bohnemeyer.

I predict that neither the American nor the British legislature will pass a law that will add a new letter to the English alphabet between S and T.

I predict that the population of Portugal will not exceed that of India.

I predict that Paris Hilton won't do anything that can be described, without irony, as "a stunning display of artistic talent"

I predict that if one martian lands on Earth next week wearing a helmet, all the martians that land next week will wear helmets.

01-15-2005 at 02:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
For now I'll just do three, but I may do more later.

I predict the Banda Aceh shore will not grow in size within the next two weeks.

I predict at least 45 US soldiers in Iraq will be killed within the next two weeks.

I predict the basketball team of my hometown will lose their next game against the basketball team of Erik's hometown (Warriors vs. Sonics).

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-15-2005 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
There will not be any new moves, serious or otherwise, by an American Democrat politician to either bring President Bush's term to a premature end or to raise candidates for the 2008 election. Any moves that have been made before this prediction are not covered, and can't really be "predicted".
I need something more concrete to verify. Also in general, anti-predictions, i.e. "this thing will not happen" are problematic. Who will read every single relevant article to determine if something did not happen? Other similar submitted predictions are probably going to get axed.
Can't predict things related to the forum.

-Erik

01-15-2005 at 05:51 AM
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
I predict that no American senator will be photographed any time this weekend reading the book "The Grammar of Time Reference in Yukatek Maya" by J. Bohnemeyer.
An anti-prediction. In this case easy to guess the result, but very difficult to verify since nobody will be looking at every single photograph coming into print over the next few weeks. And to make matters worse, you said "photographed", so technically it would be necessary to prove that the photo had not been shot during the period, never mind published.
I predict that Paris Hilton won't do anything that can be described, without irony, as "a stunning display of artistic talent"
Yours and others' opinions of Paris Hilton's achievements would be subjective, so this is also not verifiable.

-Erik

01-15-2005 at 06:04 AM
eytanz
icon Re: Predict the Future. (+1)  
Come to think of it, I don't think my martian prediction is verifyable either (since the martians may be landing in secret, and even if we hear about some martians landing, there may be others we don't know about).

01-15-2005 at 06:17 AM
ErikH2000
A few more "anti-predictions" were removed following my thinking that they require a thorough examination of all the news to know that the event described did not occur.

If an event is so startling that it would certainly appear on the front page of every major newspaper, then I let this anti-prediction stay. For example, any news about the presence of martians would be completely ubiquitous, so a prediction concerning the lack of martians is verifiable. Or a more down-to-earth example: a prediction stating that the US does not send troups to a foreign country is easily verifiable.

From Joker5, I removed:

6. I predict that we will hear nothing of Guantanamo Bay, Saddam Hussein, or Osama bin Laden from any major newspapers or any White House statements until and unless Bush mentions them in a speech. (not yet verified)

11. I predict no major games that are being produced by a brand name company (Like Lionhead, Rare, etc) or by first party groups will be delayed. (not yet verified)

18. I predict that no one on this forum will hear anything about the Native Americans unless they are studying American History. (not yet verified)

16. I predict that no third-world countries will declare that they possess WMD. (not yet verified)

17. I predict that no third-world countries will deny that they have WMD. (not yet verified)

From noaht:

1. I predict the Banda Aceh shore will not grow in size within the next two weeks. (not yet verified)

I may reconsider removing this last one if Noah can describe how such a thing is verifiable.

-Erik

01-15-2005 at 06:22 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Predict the Future. (+2)  
eytanz wrote:
Come to think of it, I don't think my martian prediction is verifyable either (since the martians may be landing in secret, and even if we hear about some martians landing, there may be others we don't know about).
Yeah, but...

It is hard to come up with consistent standards for this thing, and I'm not going put on my Bertrand Russell suit. If we get seriously metaphysical, then somebody is bound to ask that stupid question, "but how do *I* know that anything exists?" and then I will just shut down DROD.net forever. Dropkick the server off a cliff into the ocean if it comes to that.

-Erik

01-15-2005 at 07:00 AM
Mattcrampy
This is harder than I thought.

I guess I still have four predictions, though.

With all of my predictions, I assume that they would be covered in a nightly news bulletin or appear on Google News if they're of a newsworthy nature. I couldn't think of what I'd have to search on for the political one, so I guess that one would have to slide.

Matt

01-15-2005 at 11:19 AM
Fafnir
1. I predict that at least one company will fire more than twenty people at once.

Yup - Oracle's firing 5,000 over the course of 10 days. See here.

01-15-2005 at 01:41 PM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Just one from me: I predict that no-one will use the :ranting emoticon within the next week.
01-15-2005 at 02:43 PM
eytanz
wackhead_uk wrote:
Just one from me: I predict that no-one will use the :ranting emoticon within the next week.

That's either about the forums (and thus illegal), or about the entire internet (and thus unverifiable).

01-15-2005 at 03:08 PM
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Predict the Future. (Our first contest of the new year.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com