Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : World of Warcraft
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon World of Warcraft (+1)  
If anyone is at all into MMORPGs, you owe it to yourself to try this game. I personally play it like a single player RPG, like Morrowind, just doing tons of quests, but with the added benefit of having thousands of other players to sell to and buy from. And hang out with my friends too of course.

I've played EverQuest and EverQuest 2, and I like WoW much better. I have never done any "grinding", or just killing things for the sake of experience, in this game at all. I was always on a quest or trying to get leather for my tradeskilling. I love the feeling that I can actually get something accomplished by myself instead of relying on a group of other people I haven't met before.

I have only grouped with other people a few times, and it has never ended too badly, especially since there aren't any huge death penalties in WoW (mostly just time). However, I still prefer to be solo. There is a large PvP part of the game...the general stuff I am not interested in at all (and it's totally optional on a non-PvP server) but in the end game they have some neat ideas about Battlegrounds that actually sounds intriguing to me.

The world is huge, and you really get the feeling of immersion. I believe it is like EverQuest felt when it first came out...but it's definitely not like EQ2, which did not feel like a world or immersive to me at all. The graphics I think are great, some people think they aren't high resolution enough.

Every class is different, and they are all capable of soloing. Even if you never interact with another person ever, just trying out the different races and classes will easily make up for the money you're spending. It's not like other games where the game basically plays the same regardless of your race or class...you can literally make it to the highest level with one character and not see everything the game has to offer...you have to at least try out the other side (Alliance vs. Horde) and depending on how you play the character, you probably can make others on the same side and still see a lot that you hadn't seen before.

Anyway, my main character is Grishnakh, level 25 Orc Hunter on the Malygos server. I also have a level 7 Night Elf Druid named Beornar on that server, but I am mostly on my Orc. If anyone happens to play on that server, or chooses that server after they get the game, I'll be happy to hook you up with some stuff if I can.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-08-2005 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
asmussen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 188
icon Re: World of Warcraft (0)  
I have been playing WoW for about a month now, and I just now happened to notice that you play on the same server that I do! I've got a level 27 Tauren warrior on Malygos. Since your post is a few months old, I'm guessing that you're significantly higher level than that now... I hadn't really thought about joining a guild until just now, but I was thinking, if there are enough DROD players that play WoW, maybe we should all try and get at least one character on a common server and make a DROD guild or something...

03-26-2005 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Hey there...yeah, my Orc is now level 50. My friends from EverQuest and I actually have our own guilds on Malygos, one for each side. Considering the lack of interest in this post when I first made it way back when, I somehow doubt that other DRODers are playing WoW.

If you're really interested in joining our guild(s), let me know in a PM. We're very much "family" guilds, not many people in them and those who are, already all know each other. The Horde side only have about 4 regular players as well...most of the people play on the Alliance. So if you're looking for a guild with lots of people on for grouping and instances...well, it's not us. Hell, half of the reason for us making the Horde guild was so as to avoid getting guild invites when standing in front of the Auction House. So we really don't have any expansion plans.

Anyway, shoot me a PM if you like.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-26-2005 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
asmussen
Rank Points: 188
No, I'm not really looking to joining a guild. I play mostly solo, and until it occurred to me that a DROD guild would be a cool place for drodders to socialize, I hadn't really planned on joining one at all. Thanks for the offer though! Maybe I'll run into you online sometime. The character I'm playing right now is a level 27 Tauren warrior named Onek.

Shawn

03-26-2005 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
Hey, I played Wow for about 3 months last year and did enjoy, the problem was I ran out of money for it and quit. Now I want to get back into it but I still have the same lack of funds. My friend just told me about a private server where you don't have to pay anything. This seems questionable to me, is playing on a private server legal?
06-16-2008 at 02:24 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: World of Warcraft (+1)  
I'm going to be the guy who says that it's not worth it.

06-16-2008 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ezlo wrote:
Hey, I played Wow for about 3 months last year and did enjoy, the problem was I ran out of money for it and quit. Now I want to get back into it but I still have the same lack of funds. My friend just told me about a private server where you don't have to pay anything. This seems questionable to me, is playing on a private server legal?
Based on a what my brother told me, they tend to be very buggy and glitched.
06-16-2008 at 03:32 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
It's not technically legal. Blizzard won't sue you, they'll sue the guy who owns it, and shut it down.

They tend to be glitchy as hell, and full of people who suck.

:(
06-16-2008 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Okay then, I'll just wait until I have money again.
06-16-2008 at 04:50 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Jatopian wrote:
I'm going to be the guy who says that it's not worth it.
I'm going to second it. WoW is booooring.
06-16-2008 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Ezlo wrote:
Okay then, I'll just wait until I have money again.

No. Don't. Private servers are free, and if you know how to choose they aren't buggy at all. If you find a bug, report it to the GM and it will be fixed. It's worth not paying, and most of the servers have really fun new items or monsters.

06-16-2008 at 10:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Um, did you miss the bit where they're not legal? Specifically, from the client EULA:
B. You agree that you shall not, under any circumstances,

(iv) facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service. All connections to the Game and/or the Service, whether created by the Game Client or by other tools and utilities, may only be made through methods and means expressly approved by Blizzard. Under no circumstances may you connect, or create tools that allow you or others to connect, to the Game's proprietary interface other than those expressly provided by Blizzard for public use.
Given that Blizzard both (a) publish the EULA where potential customers can read it before buying the game, and (b) refund your money if you buy the game and then decide you don't like the terms, the usual arguments against EULAs are weak at best.

In addition, there was a lawsuit in the US (where Ezlo lives), the judgement in which has survived an appeal, that both the private servers and the modification of the client to use them are illegal. Whatever you might think of the DMCA personally, it's there and the US courts are bound by it.
06-16-2008 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I play WoW for 12 months already ( since July 2007). I have a level 41 Dwarf Warrior on the Bronzebeard server, named Girannio. The reason for me being so low after 12 months, is that I actually quit for 4 months, played a month, and quit for 2 months again. Now I'm playing again and it's much more fun than before.
06-16-2008 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I used to play WoW, but got burned out on it. It just wasn't any fun any more and the fact that you always on a quest doesn't change the quest usually involves the same kind of things you'd be doing without quests.

06-16-2008 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Snacko wrote:
I used to play WoW, but got burned out on it. It just wasn't any fun any more and the fact that you always on a quest doesn't change the quest usually involves the same kind of things you'd be doing without quests.
Same here.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-16-2008 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Getting burned out on WoW? Do you guys want me to feel really old?

I got burnt out on Ultima Online waaay before WoW was even around... :lol

(That's why I don't play MMORPGs and RTSes anymore - getting burned out and frustrated on UO and Dune 2... :D)

06-17-2008 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Pffft. I got burnt out on, erm, Elite. And Tetris. Oh, and Frogger.

Not really - just trying to make you feel slightly less old, fogey :P

06-18-2008 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Well *I* sure got burned out on Frogger :P

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-18-2008 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
mrimer wrote:

Frogs & Mice ? :P
06-18-2008 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
slimm tom wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Frogs & Mice ? :P
Froggers and misers.
06-19-2008 at 12:15 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I have it on good* authority that Scrooge McDuck is one of the first bosses.

*no

06-19-2008 at 12:34 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : World of Warcraft
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com