Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Undo button (backspace) not working
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Plasmarifle
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
IP: Logged

File: beethro dead.png (144.5 KB)
Downloaded 13 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Undo button (backspace) not working (+2)  
So I have this weird issue that happening to me, when the Beethro dying and I'm trying to undo last move (by pressing backspace), it returns Beethro to the previous point, but he remains dead.

For example if I'm getting killed by roach and trying to undo the move, beethro staying on the same place with the roach on top of it and there is nothing you can do, movement is not working, only the reset button (please find a screenshot with the attachment as the example).

I've noticed that this is happening much more ofter when there is a Beethro clone at the room.

Sorry if this was asked before, I've tried to look for the similar problems in this board, but could not find anything.

[Last edited by Plasmarifle at 06-24-2024 11:27 AM]
06-24-2024 at 11:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1142
icon Re: Undo button (backspace) not working (+1)  
What version of DROD are you seeing this in? You can find the version on the title screen in the upper left corner.

06-24-2024 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Plasmarifle
Version is 5.1.1.561.
I'm using Steam version and there is no updates availible for it, so I assume this should be the latest version?
06-24-2024 at 01:23 PM
hyperme
That is the latest version.

Could you make an example hold that demonstrates the the problem?

06-24-2024 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Plasmarifle

File: Screenshot 1.png (3.4 MB)
Downloaded 7 times.
Not sure if I understand correctly what do you mean by example hold.
For example I've attached screenshots of the level that I'm currently at (but this issue had happened a lot during my playthrough).
Screenshot 1 - initial position.
I am moving the sword counter-clockwise, roach killing north Beethro, I am pressing backspace to undo the move. It results into
screenshot 2 - cockroach on top of Beethro and there is nothing I can do except to restart from the savepoint.
06-24-2024 at 07:41 PM
Plasmarifle

File: Screenshot 2.png (3.4 MB)
Downloaded 14 times.
Sorry, didn't attach second screenshot to the reply.
06-24-2024 at 07:42 PM
hyperme
An "example hold" is a small (usually one or two room) hold build in the editor that sets up a situation where the bug occurs. This makes it slightly easier to investigate, compared to having to look at certain rooms in real holds.

06-24-2024 at 08:01 PM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 213
Does undo work in other situations? Your second screenshot shows the result before the undo.

And there's something wrong with the game over code, since you should have been automatically sent back to the last checkpoint after the death animation.

Also check your settings for "Auto Undo on Death", "Undo Level" and which key is bound set for undo.

06-24-2024 at 09:17 PM
Plasmarifle
hyperme wrote:
An "example hold" is a small (usually one or two room) hold build in the editor that sets up a situation where the bug occurs. This makes it slightly easier to investigate, compared to having to look at certain rooms in real holds.

I have never worked in the editor, besides I am not sure if I'll be able to recreate this situation since I'm not sure when and why this is happening.

Does undo work in other situations? Your second screenshot shows the result before the undo.

And there's something wrong with the game over code, since you should have been automatically sent back to the last checkpoint after the death animation.

Also check your settings for "Auto Undo on Death", "Undo Level" and which key is bound set for undo.

No, second screenshot is after I've pressed the undo button. Look closely, there is a roach on top of the Beethro on the north. So when the death animation starts, I've usually push the undo button and it returns me to the previous move. It works in the majority of rooms, but sometimes (I've noticed that this is happening more often with the room of clones) it resets me to the state when I can't do anything (which makes these rooms really really irritating).

Also I've noticed that the windows sound notification happening during this issue, hovewer no error messages appearing.

The same issue is happening if I enable auto undo on death - the roach on top of the Beethro and I can't do anything.

[Last edited by Plasmarifle at 06-24-2024 10:09 PM]
06-24-2024 at 10:06 PM
hyperme
The windows error noise is good, sort of. It means that DROD has recognised a problem and is outputting something to the error log. For the Steam version, the file drod.err should be somewhere in your My Documents directory.

In that file there will be stuff like "Assertion error in line [number] of [filename]". Copy a few of them over into a post and that should give a clue as to where Things Have Gone Horribly Wrong

06-24-2024 at 10:25 PM
Plasmarifle
icon Re: Undo button (backspace) not working (+2)  
Thank you for pointing this out!
In this file there is a same line repeated for a different dates.

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 6/24/24 3:25PM ***
Assertion error in line 1971 of CurrentGame.cpp: "this->bIsGameActive"

06-24-2024 at 10:35 PM
hyperme
This is deeply confusing, because based on my understanding of the game processing code, there's no way to go through the process of inputting an undo command and have the game state be replayed without reactivating the game first.

Since you're using the Steam version, I think it's worth using Steam's "verifiy integrity of game files" function just to be sure something weird has happened on your end.

07-05-2024 at 05:46 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Undo button (backspace) not working
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com