Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Can demos recorded in hold A work in hold B if the rooms are the same?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 645
IP: Logged
icon Can demos recorded in hold A work in hold B if the rooms are the same? (0)  
Hi,

I am not sure if this has been noted before, but I would like to know if it's possible (and if not, if it can be implemented in future TSS versions).

Say that I built a hold named hold A and created the levels with an old username. Even if I use the current username, the game will say the name and date that the old builder gave. Now, for this hold A I have a lot of demos for most of the rooms.
If I create with my new username a hold B , and then copy-paste all of the rooms from hold A , theoretically speaking, the demos should work, since the room it's the same.
However, even if I export and then import the demos, in hold B they are not seen.
So, how do demos exactly work? If they are just a recording of certain moves (e.g. 8877qqww25544...) I could import any demo in any hold. I understand this would be pointless, but it might be useful when I have the same rooms in different hold.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 04-16-2024 08:44 PM]
04-16-2024 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1142
icon Re: Can demos recorded in hold A work in hold B if the rooms are the same? (+2)  
This probably isn't workable because of the complexities.

A demo is just a sequence of commands with some extra data. However, one of those pieces of data is a reference to a saved game. A save includes a bunch of data including state information about the player (role, shallow water state) and hold variables. You can't have a demo without that information, because it could change how the player interacts with things or how scripts run.

While the player state is hold agnostic, hold variables aren't, which probably makes this idea a non-starter.

I'll also add that cross-hold variable copying works in the editor because you have guaranteed access to both holds, which includes the mapping from the user-visible variable names to the internal variable ids.

04-16-2024 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1584
icon Re: Can demos recorded in hold A work in hold B if the rooms are the same? (+1)  
I can't help but feel like it would be useful sometimes, or even fun, to be able to make a "stripped down" demo that really is just a list of inputs, and be able to "insert" it into any desired room.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-17-2024 09:57 PM]
04-17-2024 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2394
icon Re: Can demos recorded in hold A work in hold B if the rooms are the same? (+1)  
I kinda wrote a tool to do this, based on some existing code that was posted on this forum.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-17-2024 10:30 PM]
04-17-2024 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1142
icon Re: Can demos recorded in hold A work in hold B if the rooms are the same? (+3)  
"Put the commands in this demo onto the clipboard" and "execute what's on the clipboard" might be more workable. Not amazing UX but that's how things are sometimes.

04-17-2024 at 10:56 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 645
icon Re: Can demos recorded in hold A work in hold B if the rooms are the same? (0)  
Xindaris wrote:
I can't help but feel like it would be useful sometimes, or even fun, to be able to make a "stripped down" demo that really is just a list of inputs, and be able to "insert" it into any desired room.

Yes, that is the thing that I had in mind. I tried to look at the forum post disoriented linked to, but could not figure out if it is possible or not.

04-18-2024 at 06:23 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2394
My solution is Mac-specific. It reads a demo's moves (see post I linked to earlier), and creates an AppleScript macro that sends keystrokes to the game. For example:
on run {input, parameters}
    activate application "DROD TSS"
    delay 3
    tell application "System Events"
        tell process "DROD TSS" to delay 0.1
key code 88
delay 0.1
 keystroke "w"
delay 0.1
 key code 88
delay 0.1
 keystroke "q"
delay 0.1
 key code 92
delay 0.1
 key code 91
delay 0.1
key code 87
delay 0.1
    end tell
    return input
    end run
The list of key codes can be found here.
However it's against the forum rules to submit CaravelNet demos for high scores using any sort of automated tool, so don't do that.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-18-2024 07:09 PM]
04-18-2024 at 07:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Can demos recorded in hold A work in hold B if the rooms are the same?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com