Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Is Halph broken?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged

File: halph strangeness.hold (1 KB)
Downloaded 20 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Is Halph broken? (0)  
Encountered some real strangeness with how Halph behaves while editing/testing newer hold.

Attached to this post and the next one is my best attempt at a minimal example. Basically, Halph sometimes decides to go an extra tile east (or maybe to target an intermediate pressure plate???) on his way to hit the plate Beethro asked him to. Sometimes he doesn't. There's no apparent rhyme or reason to whether or not he'll do it. Making random changes to the contents of the room (in areas NOT within either path) seems to change what happens in the two demos, too.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-06-2024 01:18 AM]
03-06-2024 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris

File: halph strangeness.demo (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 20 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Is Halph broken? (0)  
...and the two demos. You can see that the "doesn't go east" option involves me running around randomly in the room trying to trigger the other behavior, but no permanent changes are made to the configuration of things that should be causing Halph to take a different route as far as I can tell.

Note also that while that demo walks on the pressure plate at (30, 15) and closes the door around it at one point, I have seen Halph take the west route even when that plate is never touched.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-06-2024 01:21 AM]
03-06-2024 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1073
icon Re: Is Halph broken? (+1)  
Halph is broken, but he's been broken since 2.0 and we can't fix him because that would break a lot of demos, and maybe also some rooms. It would be very difficult to find those rooms because that would involved sorting through 20 years of broken demos.

The same problem applies to Slayers, Citizens, Engineers and Stalwarts/Soldiers, because they all use the same pathing function.

03-06-2024 at 08:07 AM
Xindaris
icon Re: Is Halph broken? (0)  
You're right; even though I'd read through that thread, it just didn't occur to me that this was an instance. Sorry for any wasted time here.

03-06-2024 at 10:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Is Halph broken?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com