Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Public Architecture (two levels made with the help of "the public")
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1568
IP: Logged

File: Public Architecture.hold (10.5 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Public Architecture (+1)  
Hey guess what, I'm in a "push it out the door" kind of mood right now!

So,

Back in 21-22, I did some architecture streams, building some severals of puzzles while showing people the process. I also, at some point or other, asked whoever was in DROD chat at the moment to give me a prompt of a set of elements to use, and then tried to weave those things together into a room. Each of these endeavors was done a few times, and the set of those doings led to a level each. The former was mostly finished with a couple of just "sketch ideas for rooms"; the latter was completely finished. So, I just went and built rooms out of those two sketches, and compiled things together, and now here we are.

I think this hold might contain some of the hardest rooms I've ever built, probably. But not all of them are that hard; the difficulty varies heavily from room to room. Either way, I'd appreciate a little bit of testing and feedback before I send this off to the HA. Let me know if you can't figure something out; looking at these today, there were things I couldn't figure out without looking at my own ancient demos!

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-17-2024 05:11 PM]
02-16-2024 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 644

File: pa demos.zip (13.8 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Public Architecture (+1)  
I decided to give this a try, and wow you were not kidding when you said there were hard rooms here!
I attached the demos for the rooms I managed to solve. I think I did not find unintended solutions, but I'd like to know it if I did).

Made on stream, 2N1W, second iteration, seemed way easier compared to the rest of the hold.

The chat made me do it, 1N1E was my favourite room, I loved it.

The chat made me do it, 2E. I got the gist of the room, but couldn't manage to solve it. Despite that, I don't understand why you didn't add some checkpoints on the red doors.

02-17-2024 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1568
Hmm, I thought I'd added some checkpoints on red doors in chat 2E, but I can absolutely add more. I'm editing the first post with an update, so let me know if it's got enough now--or how frequently you'd recommend they be, perhaps.

Anyway, none of your demos look unintended to me. I'll agree that stream 2N1W is pretty far on the easy side, and I'm not sure it really accomplishes whatever I had in mind when I was first building it either, other than "whoa do this room twice guys!". Maybe it could do with some reworking...

Update:
-Minor aesthetic changes throughout (should not affect gameplay)
-More checkpoints in chat 2E

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-17-2024 05:13 PM]
02-17-2024 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 644
Xindaris wrote:
Hmm, I thought I'd added some checkpoints on red doors in chat 2E, but I can absolutely add more. I'm editing the first post with an update, so let me know if it's got enough now--or how frequently you'd recommend they be, perhaps.

Anyway, none of your demos look unintended to me. I'll agree that stream 2N1W is pretty far on the easy side, and I'm not sure it really accomplishes whatever I had in mind when I was first building it either, other than "whoa do this room twice guys!". Maybe it could do with some reworking...

I think one per column, like you did now, works fine.

2N1W second iteration for me it's great actually, it's a nice easy-medium room that soften the overall toughness of the rest of the hold.

02-18-2024 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Public Architecture (two levels made with the help of "the public")
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com